Updated: Yannick tweets again

This is an interesting situation because it could, potentially, really shine a light on the misuse of the franchise tag. I don’t remember many situations where guys have straight up said “I don’t want to be here, and I’m not signing” only to have the team slap the tag on them anyways. The tag was meant to be a bridge to a long term deal, but that’s clearly not the case here. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Since Hapless shutdown the other thread - new news

they have tried to get Yannick Ngakoue "to see the big picture and to understand the business side of things,"

I wonder what this REALLY means? The Jags are like, "Hey, we are gonna **** you over so we can get back more than a 3rd Round Comp pick. You can see where we're coming from, right?"

• Like (+1) 3

If the Jags push this he will sit out this season, imo.  The team is not particularly well thought of, and Khan wants to move it to London. 
It’s good to see other teams in turmoil instead of the Bills, ?

Life is really freakin expensive in London and it’s suburbs, makes NYC look affordable. You can buy a house in England, but you can’t own the land under it in most cases,  you have to pay some Duke/Lord/Royal  rent on the land on top of your mortgage payment. By American standards that dog don’t hunt. 

19 minutes ago, H2o said:

I wonder what this REALLY means? The Jags are like, "Hey, we are gonna **** you over so we can get back more than a 3rd Round Comp pick. You can see where we're coming from, right?"

No, it just means they're trying to convince him that he can be happy in Jacksonville on a long-term deal and that they won't be bad for long.

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

No, it just means they're trying to convince him that he can be happy in Jacksonville on a long-term deal and that they won't be bad for long.

That doesn't sound like "trying to understand the business side of things" for him to me. It sounds like, "We have this tag and can hold you hostage for the best ransom we can get. Sorry, not sorry." kind of thing. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

That's a very narrow view though. This guy has far exceeded expectations for a third round pick, and the franchise won't reward him with a long term deal. He wants to continue his career in a place where he's valued with a long term deal. Any franchise could say we will get better. I mean what else are they supposed to say? Jax have Josh Allen and Calais Campbell too. They are holding him hostage. No bueno.

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

That doesn't sound like "trying to understand the business side of things" for him to me. It sounds like, "We have this tag and can hold you hostage for the best ransom we can get. Sorry, not sorry." kind of thing. 

Correct and it's the tough side of the tag.  I understand both sides and it's a difficult situation.  

34 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

FANS being the key word in that tweet. 

Edit:

And I wouldn't give Khan and the Jags ***t for resources then have to sign Ngakoue to a huge money deal. That would be ABSOLUTELY stupid and I can't see Beane doing something as such. Khan can suck on that Franchise Tag, pay him his money to sit out until week 11, and then go through it all over again next offseason if he wants. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

You're totally right. I glossed over the "business" part. 

34 minutes ago, H2o said:

FANS being the key word in that tweet. 

Edit:

And I wouldn't give Khan and the Jags ***t for resources then have to sign Ngakoue to a huge money deal. That would be ABSOLUTELY stupid and I can't see Beane doing something as such. Khan can suck on that Franchise Tag, pay him his money to sit out until week 11, and then go through it all over again next offseason if he wants. 

It's basically the Seattle & Clowney deal; a 3rd rounder

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

It's basically the Seattle & Clowney deal; a 3rd rounder

I think the Jags are going to go for more than that. They could get a 3rd Round Comp pick. Ngakoue isn't a bad player, but I'm sure as hell not paying him $20,000,000+ per season for 8 sacks. Never. I don't see him as Von Miller in his prime or anything close to that. Lawson could be had for half of that more than likely and he had 6.5 sacks on 320 less defensive snaps last year. I hope our FO isn't that stupid, which I don't believe they are tbh. 

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

They are looking to dump Foles to accomodate this tag

I can't see it. His dead cap number in Jacksonville would be almost $34,000,000. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I wouldn't want the Bills to let a good player go for nothing. If a player wants out, get everything you can for them. But ideally you wouldn't let it go as far as the Jags have. Tagging and trading rarely works, I feel.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

If the Jags push this he will sit out this season, imo.  The team is not particularly well thought of, and Khan wants to move it to London. 
It’s good to see other teams in turmoil instead of the Bills, ?

Life is really freakin expensive in London and it’s suburbs, makes NYC look affordable. You can buy a house in England, but you can’t own the land under it in most cases,  you have to pay some Duke/Lord/Royal  rent on the land on top of your mortgage payment. By American standards that dog don’t hunt. 

They still got that crap over there!  That is crazy.  Do the Duke/Lord/Royal just pocket the money or does it go to the gov't???

The main reason Jacksonville cant afford Ngakoue is the money tied up in Bortles and Foles. I have also been thinking the past week about possibly taking on Foles' contract and being able to sign Ngakoue long term at  20 mill per year. To take on Foles' contract, Jacksonville might even give us an extra 4th rounder in addition to trading the rights to Ngakoue. We have a healthy cap situation and need to spend money. So why not take on Foles and offload him to someone else for draft comp when their starting QB is hurt? Foles has been a backup before (To Minshew of all people) and is not really a locker room threat to Josh Allen who is the unquestioned starter. So I dont anticipate locker room issues. This way we preserve our draft picks and still get Ngakoue.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay