Jacob Hollister/TE - FA Option

Jacob Holister emerged from nowhere this past season and was a HUGE part of Seattle's passing attacj after losing Luke Willson and Will Dissly. He's an RFA this off-season and 3rd on their depth chart. He played with Josh Allen at Wyoming! He may be a better option than Kroft to pair with Knox.

Just now, BillsDiehard said:

Jacob Holister emerged from nowhere this past season and was a HUGE part of Seattle's passing attacj after losing Luke Willson and Will Dissly. He's an RFA this off-season and 3rd on their depth chart. He played with Josh Allen at Wyoming! He may be a better option than Kroft to pair with Knox.

Depends on what tender level they put on him.

1st round Tender - No Way

2nd round Tender - No Way

Original Round Tender - No Compensation - Unless he is given this tender level I am not touching him.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Do we really have a need at TE?  

Perhaps?

Knox - Promising rookie with unacceptable 20% drop rate who has whiffed some key blocks.  Hopefully he'll improve, but do we want to bet on it?

Sweeney - Looked a bit clueless early in season, played well 5-5 in Jets game.  He clocked slow (4.83 40-time) but he seems to play faster?  Good development guy, don't bank on him.

Kroft - Was supposed to be TE #1, slowed by injury, did not emerge (including during Jets game).  Better blocker than Knox but has still whiffed a couple. 

Smith - Good blocker who *may* have locked down his false start and holding penalties.  Faster than a snail on speed, but that's a low bar....

Croom - written up in Fansided as "forgotten weapon" but just seems kind of forgettable to me.  Played significant snaps in all 16 games 2018, but had the same number of TDs in 2018 as Lee Smith had this year - namely, one (1).   Said favorable writeup acknowledges him as "not yet a polished blocker".  Spent 2019 on IR with a "hamstring injury"

I don't think 2-3 quality tight ends is too many, so even if we assume Knox and Sweeney follow up on their promise and take a step, I'd like to see us make a play for a true #1 guy.  And I'd like us to have at least 2 who look like pretty sure bets for a quality contribution.

We owe Lee Smith $1.5M regardless, extra $0.5M if he's on the roster March 22, $3.2M cap hit if he plays out the season

We owe Tyler Kroft $2.75M if he's on the roster March 22, $6.6M cap hit if he plays out the season

Some people are like "Kroft was injured, give him a year".  I'm like "Kroft was all but invisible for the games he did play, including the Jets game where he could have been featured".  I'm concerned that Kroft is one of these NFL guys that really prefers to be a backup and would rather not have the pain or the expectations that go with being the Guy.

30 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

He's a TE that wears a number in the 40's...Yuck.

Kidding, mostly. 

I don't think they will let him walk. They'll likely put a third round tender on him. 

I don't think that's possible?

I think the choices are 1st round tender, 2nd round tender, or original round tender (he was undrafted)

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can put a 3rd round tender on an undrafted guy.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think they need anyone else at TE unless they plan on cutting Kroft.  

Knox should continue to develop and I think he could be a star in this league.  Sweeney seems like he is one of those Metzelaars type TE's that shouldn't get open but just has a knack for getting open.

I dont see a need at TE. If Knox learns how to catch I think he is a top 5 TE in the AFC. Sweeney also shows well when he gets a chance and will continue to develop. 3rd TE is prolly Smith, an upgrade there would be nice.  

Just now, noacls said:

I dont see a need at TE. If Knox learns how to catch I think he is a top 5 TE in the AFC. Sweeney also shows well when he gets a chance and will continue to develop. 3rd TE is prolly Smith, an upgrade there would be nice.  

Knox - Potential

Sweeney - Inactive ALL YEAR

If you are fine with that going into off-season and don't think this is a position of need.  I suggest you want Kelce and Kittle in the SB

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Knox - Potential

If you are fine with that going into off-season and don't think this is a position of need.  I suggest you want Kelce and Kittle in the SB

I suggest you tell me where the Bills are going to find  Kittle or Kelce in free agency.  

7 minutes ago, noacls said:

That's a huge if. I hope Knox can develop but anyone truly counting on him is crazy. We need a upgrade badly right now. And if he somehow does pan out, we'd have 2 solid TEs. Nothing wrong with that.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper paired with the potential of Knox NOW you have legit TEs

Henry has missed 23 games in 4 years, no thanks. Hooper would be a nice signing did not realize he was so young.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, noacls said:

Henry has missed 23 games in 4 years, no thanks. Hooper would be a nice signing did not realize he was so young.  

16 of those games with a torn ACL.  That happens.

Only other injury major was the broken tibal plateau to start this season.  

Other INJ include 1 concussion (1 game)  and lacerated kidney (2 games)

Edited by MAJBobby

didn't know he played with Josh.

also didn't know he was 6'4  245, he seemed undersized to me.

another interesting thing about that guy is he was on the losing end of the single biggest play in the NFL this year, the goal line catch vs the Niners where got within a few inches of getting in the endzone but couldn't quite get in.   Seattle loses on that final play, which would have dropped the Niners to 5th seed instead of 1st in the NFC.    Imagine how much different the NFC playoffs would have gone with Niners on the road for 3 games instead of a 1st round bye and staying home for two.  Game of inches.

I watched him all year, I think he was more of a result of Russell being great than he was pure skill.  A ton of his catches were underneath stuff after Russ pulls a Houdini and hits a quick toss on a broken play.   I don't know about his blocking.   If he's smart he'll stay right where he is.

I see us as Knox, Sweeney, Smith as the starting 3 TE's next year.   Croom should be in camp, and we know he's fast and can leap.  Knox has to fix his drops or he's not going to make it anywhere.  Dude makes circus catches look easy and easy catches look hard.

https://buffalowdown.com/2020/01/25/buffalo-bills-tight-end-jason-croom-forgotten-weapon/

Really feel we might be sleeping on Croom.  Nepotism aside, he will likely make this roster because he can is a mismatch for slower linebackers and smaller defensive backs. Furthermore, I don't think they will want to re-invest in tight end given their ROI on Kroft and Smith. 

3 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

another interesting thing about that guy is he was on the losing end of the single biggest play in the NFL this year, the goal line catch vs the Niners where got within a few inches of getting in the endzone but couldn't quite get in.   Seattle loses on that final play, which would have dropped the Niners to 5th seed instead of 1st in the NFC.    Imagine how much different the NFC playoffs would have gone with Niners on the road for 3 games instead of a 1st round bye and staying home for two.  Game of inches.

I watched him all year, I think he was more of a result of Russell being great than he was pure skill.  A ton of his catches were underneath stuff after Russ pulls a Houdini and hits a quick toss on a broken play.   I don't know about his blocking.   If he's smart he'll stay right where he is.

I see us as Knox, Sweeney, Smith as the starting 3 TE's next year.   Croom should be in camp, and we know he's fast and can leap.  Knox has to fix his drops or he's not going to make it anywhere.  Dude makes circus catches look easy and easy catches look hard.

Lee Smith running routes triggers me so....

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

16 of those games with a torn ACL.  That happens.

Only other injury major was the broken tibal plateau to start this season.  

Other INJ include 1 concussion (1 game)  and lacerated kidney (2 games)

So your agreeing with me, because he has had a major injury every year he has been in NFL.  I beleive that's called a pattern. 

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Lee Smith running routes triggers me so....

I just do not get why Lee Smith would be on the team in 2020 except for the "Veteran in the Room" Stuff.  There needs to be upgrades in this room.  The QB best friend is a TE or a couple TEs

Just now, noacls said:

So your agreeing with me, because he has had a major injury every year he has been in NFL.  I beleive that's called a pattern. 

I believe it isnt.  ACLs happen and so dont broken bones.

He is a legit TE and more talented than any we have on the roster. And it will not scare away Beane from signing him.

Mitch Morse missed 14 of 32 in two years before becoming the Bills made him the highest paid center and then played 16 of 16

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I just do not get why Lee Smith would be on the team in 2020 except for the "Veteran in the Room" Stuff.  There needs to be upgrades in this room.  The QB best friend is a TE or a couple TEs

I believe it isnt.  ACLs happen and so dont broken bones.

He is a legit TE and more talented than any we have on the roster. And it will not scare away Beane from signing him.

Mitch Morse missed 14 of 32 in two years before becoming the Bills made him the highest paid center and then played 16 of 16

17/17 - had a great season 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

17/17 - had a great season 

yeah that is why the “injury prone” stuff gets funny to me. 

Henry tore and ACL (happens a lot in football) and Broke a bone. 

big deal it isn’t like he is chronically dealing with some degenerative stuff or soft tissue injuries 

2 hours ago, mattrock123 said:

https://buffalowdown.com/2020/01/25/buffalo-bills-tight-end-jason-croom-forgotten-weapon/

Really feel we might be sleeping on Croom.  Nepotism aside, he will likely make this roster because he can is a mismatch for slower linebackers and smaller defensive backs. Furthermore, I don't think they will want to re-invest in tight end given their ROI on Kroft and Smith. 

Kind of hard to know how he's developing since he's been on IR all season.

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Kind of hard to know how he's developing since he's been on IR all season.

he will get a chance to prove he belongs during camp as an EFRA he will get to camp. But to plan on the Son In Law answering a need would be irresponsible 

Edited by MAJBobby

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Knox - Potential

Sweeney appeared in 5 regular season games. Somehow that doesn't equal inactive all year to me.

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Dawson Knox, Tommy Sweeney, Tyler Kroft and Lee Smith.  Those names sound like a unit we wouldn’t want to upgrade?  I like Knox.  Great upside and could be a tier 1 TE eventually.  But he’s not right now.  Sweeney made a couple plays.  Croom made a couple plays the previous year. So did Kroft the year before.  Bleh. We have guys that “made a couple plays one year”.   They could very well be all that we need, but I’d love an upgrade to make Knox the #2,   It would be amazing for this offense to have 2 really good TE’s

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

yeah that is why the “injury prone” stuff gets funny to me. 

Henry tore and ACL (happens a lot in football) and Broke a bone. 

big deal it isn’t like he is chronically dealing with some degenerative stuff or soft tissue injuries 

I agree. Nothing worse than the constant hamstring injuries. They seem to always reoccur. Still would like to know why football players get hammies & basketball players rarely get them.

8 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

You nailed. Lot's of underneath and dump off catches after Lockett ran the defense deep.  His best skill was probably improvising with Wilson once Wilson moved out of the pocket.  Good story but he would be #4 TE on the Bills if they keep 4 and get rid of the FB.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:46 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Knox, Sweeney, Croom, Kroft, Smith, i think there would be room to get him on the squad that could be a upgrade over at least one here !!