The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 hours ago, Magox said:

It's just common sense.   Imagine how many people have died from not getting the care they needed because of the stringent social distancing measures.   

Right just reading online something new. HIV kills t cells.  Wish had more data covid19 and those suffering from this. :( But anyways good info to pass along here. Those people don't have a defense to it. (virus and other things)  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Magox said:

More on excess deaths indirectly due to COVID and stringent social distancing measures.

Suicide edition due to economic factors

And this from CDC 

And more regarding suicides

And who is it that typically commits suicides at higher rates than any other age group?

You guessed it -   Younger folks

image.thumb.png.8197d3efeb250170e1f4725f45fe8d0f.png

The more we apply logic and facts the more we understand that younger people are disproportionately affected by a wide margin when it comes to excess deaths caused by stringent social distancing measures.

Because he is an in-the-box thinker.

I cited to and quoted the exact same CDC report that you quoted--to make the same point--but I did it several days ago...on this very site. 

Guess you're in the same box as me. 

Another mistake for you. Bad week bro: Can happen to anyone but it keeps happening to you because you have a strange obsession with me. People are even writing me about it privately--and not wacky liberals. It's kind of creepy but even more so because we agree on most of this as I've noted many times, not that you'd want to acknowledge it. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GG said:

Madrid was not leading in new cases until a few days ago, which were in Andalucia and Aragon.  The troubling trend in Madrid has to be watched, as it's one of the few cases of a rebound in cases in a previously hard hit area.  

At some point you have to do your own interpretation of the data and not rely fully on what's being spoonfed.  Case in point is the excess death debate.   Why is it necessary to wait for CDC confirmation, when you can triangulate into the numbers from other data points?   The leading causes of death for people under 45 are unintended injuries, suicides and homicides.  Given the perverse incentive to attribute as many deaths as possible to Wuhan, you'd be seeing a hell of a lot more statistics about <45 yr old Wuhan deaths.  But since you're not seeing that, and insurance companies are reporting far fewer driving deaths since the lockdowns began, would lead to a logical conclusion that the excess deaths are caused by the other factors that are common among the <45 crowd.

I have posted about the suicide/mental health issue on OTW a lot in the last week. There may well be a higher number of deaths due to suicides now, or at some point in the future. 

When Magox cited that study that purported to show that excess deaths in U45 people was due to suicides, I was interested to see that. It was sadly a bad article and did not back its claim. If you look back through the thread, that's my criticism. It was a crappy paper that might be right, but not based on the data it presented. 

Regarding waiting for the CDC confirmation,  I agree. But here's the problem: The paper in discussion looked at  CDC-classified Covid deaths vs non-Covid classified deaths. If you're stuck in the CDC data, you have to rely on the CDC data, and your analysis carries the issues built into CDC data, namely, the slow pace that the CDC takes when classifying deaths. Failure to acknowledge that or build in estimates for how the non-classified deaths could change the conclusions further undermines the paper's credibility. 

Obliquely and rationally, younger people may be committing suicides at a higher rate. Still haven't seen the data though. I'd love to have that because I keep arguing that the effects of the shutdowns have a terrible effect on mental health--and will for years. 

• Haha (+1) 1

WHAT MYSTERY? 

Denver doctors may have found the answer to a pandemic mystery: What happened to all the heart attacks? 

“Stauffer’s team found that cardiac arrests at home in Denver more than doubled in the two weeks after the statewide stay-at-home order was issued compared with historical averages. Even compared with more recent data, the weekly average of out-of-hospital cardiac arrests jumped to 46 during those two weeks, versus 26 or 27 in the three months prior.”

Seriously, what mystery?

Plus: “Stauffer and his colleagues found that the number of people in Denver who died of cardiac arrests at home in the two weeks following the statewide stay-at-home order was greater than the total number of people who died of COVID-19 in the city during that time.”

How many of them could have been saved had they made it to an ER?

• Sad 1

Just now, B-Man said:

WHAT MYSTERY? 

Denver doctors may have found the answer to a pandemic mystery: What happened to all the heart attacks? 

“Stauffer’s team found that cardiac arrests at home in Denver more than doubled in the two weeks after the statewide stay-at-home order was issued compared with historical averages. Even compared with more recent data, the weekly average of out-of-hospital cardiac arrests jumped to 46 during those two weeks, versus 26 or 27 in the three months prior.”

Seriously, what mystery?

Plus: “Stauffer and his colleagues found that the number of people in Denver who died of cardiac arrests at home in the two weeks following the statewide stay-at-home order was greater than the total number of people who died of COVID-19 in the city during that time.”

How many of them could have been saved had they made it to an ER?

Why is this a surprise, this is exactly what happened at NYC's peak.

2 hours ago, GG said:

Why is this a surprise, this is exactly what happened at NYC's peak.

...there was financial incentive to distort and fraudulently report...the first Covid 19 Fed Relief package funded $2.5 billion to be disbursed through the Medicare system to hospitals, paying $39,000 per Covid case versus the normal $13,000 reimbursement.....so multiple NON-Covid deaths were tagged as Covid....heart attacks, vehicle accidents, those with pre-existing conditions who could not get regular treatments, albeit chemo, radiation, etc......look at NYS Big Fraudulent Fredo as a primary example.....nursing home deaths were reported as "only those who died on nursing home soil"....those shipped to nursing homes infected or who also infected existing residents, but eventually shipped to hospitals where they died DO NOT COUNT......care to convince me that the populous REALLY mattered versus creating a political finger pointing atmosphere?....don't even try.....

Reading about Clarence Darrow now and the Scopes Monkey trial. Science vs religion, with KKK defender William Jennings Bryan the religious fanatic arguing for the suppression of science in schools. Can't help seeing the parallels to today. 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...there was financial incentive to distort and fraudulently report...the first Covid 19 Fed Relief package funded $2.5 billion to be disbursed through the Medicare system to hospitals, paying $39,000 per Covid case versus the normal $13,000 reimbursement.....so multiple NON-Covid deaths were tagged as Covid....heart attacks, vehicle accidents, those with pre-existing conditions who could not get regular treatments, albeit chemo, radiation, etc......look at NYS Big Fraudulent Fredo as a primary example.....nursing home deaths were reported as "only those who died on nursing home soil"....those shipped to nursing homes infected or who also infected existing residents, but eventually shipped to hospitals where they died DO NOT COUNT......care to convince me that the populous REALLY mattered versus creating a political finger pointing atmosphere?....don't even try.....

I believe the reimbursements were $13,000 for each Covid-19 patient but $39,000 for each Covid-19 patient put on a ventilator. What do you think Gloria Akalitus would do?

Image result for anna deavere smithBonus points available for knowing this reference without Googling it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterRob said:

They cater to rich people today and Bryan was so beloved by that party that he was their POTUS candidate a couple of times.

Three times, I think. Lost every time. Kind of funny, anti capitalist, isolationist, religions fundamentalist and believer in a expanded money supply (free coinage of silver) 

He resigned as Sec of State because Wilson was siding with the British too much in 1915 

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

Keep saying that Joe.  Won't play well with the majority of people. 

That's why he said it at 6pm on a Friday.

Its already being passed around social media and I'm sure most Americans text message threads like a joint right now.  

First.  It's not the Federal Government's job to shut down Montana or any State.  

Second.  Trump isn't trying to "control" the virus (which is what Biden says Trump is trying to do...control it.)  No he isn't.  He's left it to the States and he (although not clearly enough) is ready for the country to move the heck on.

Third.  He's an idiot.  

• Like (+1) 2

Called this in April:

"At the same time, we will not, we cannot, go back to the way things were," he continued.

"Throughout history, outbreaks and pandemics have changed economies and societies, this one will be no different," Tedros added.

"In particular, the pandemic has given new impetus to the need to accelerate efforts to respond to climate change," he said. "The pandemic has given us a glimpse of our world as it could be, cleaner skies and rivers."

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

Effectively immediately, all NH restaurants can operate at 100% capacity

Some restaurants might still be unable to serve as many customers at once as they used to because of the need to keep customers from different parties apart. Other restrictions, such as no standing in bar areas, remain in effect.

"All those provisions are in place and will remain in place for quite some time," Sununu said.

https://www.wmur.com/article/new-hampshire-coronavirus-update-august-21-2020/33667169

Is anyone going to make these idiots answer two very simple questions?

Why "quite some time?  

Until when?

80% of the deaths in New Hampshire are in Long Term Care Facilities.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Called this in April:

"At the same time, we will not, we cannot, go back to the way things were," he continued.

"Throughout history, outbreaks and pandemics have changed economies and societies, this one will be no different," Tedros added.

"In particular, the pandemic has given new impetus to the need to accelerate efforts to respond to climate change," he said. "The pandemic has given us a glimpse of our world as it could be, cleaner skies and rivers."

Talk like this makes you want to commit suicide, doesn’t it? Is that a side goal of the WHO?

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

I believe the reimbursements were $13,000 for each Covid-19 patient but $39,000 for each Covid-19 patient put on a ventilator. What do you think Gloria Akalitus would do?

Image result for anna deavere smithBonus points available for knowing this reference without Googling it. 

...you're probably right....thank you for correction......

9 hours ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Talk like this makes you want to commit suicide, doesn’t it? Is that a side goal of the WHO?

As an organisation, one would assume that the giveaway is in their title - World Health Organisation.

The difference in quality of air etc. in many cities around the world, has been startling in the difference of before and during lockdowns.

The amount of pollution in the world, is ridiculous, tbh, and I would suggest that the WHO would be remiss if it wasn't taking notice of it, as it simply does affect peoples health.

Tbh, I don't think the argument has to be about global warming, or climate change, per se, but it should be about trying to get places back up and running where there isn't the same degree of pollution.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01vGTo3vkn-vuwsbEd5TPCKUzDrbg:1598093507977&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=before+and+during+lockdown+pictures+of+city+pollution&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6gfGe0q7rAhWHasAKHfjlCPQQsAR6BAgJEAE

10 hours ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

...but they are a fine organization......WHO, United Nations Security Council, UN Council on Human Rights, etc......where would we be without these entities taking care of us??.....

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

shhhhhh....don’t you know that Sweden is bad!!

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Called this in April:

WTF!?!?  Climate Change?

Can we get a glimpse of what our world would be like without “ruling class elites”?  It would be the single greatest development for the benefit of humankind in the history of the universe. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

"We CANNOT go back to the way things were."

Americans need to understand.  This is exactly how the now mainstream of the Democrat party thinks.  I don't know how they want to do it, or all the specific things they want to unravel, end, or change (something they've been vaguely campaigning on since 2008.)

The sheep will just nod along with whatever they say because to them everything is Trump's or the GOPs fault.  California is broke and a totalitarian state?  Meh, whatever still got to vote D.  Chicago has become Fallujah?  Meh, Lightfoot is doing a great job.  32,000 people died in NY?  Meh, Cuomo handled this the right way 

But the leaders, the policy shapers---they all think like WHO Director Tedros.  They are the biggest threat to the United States....in the history of this country they are the biggest threat we've ever faced.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Cases in Florida and positive percent rate continues to rapidly decline, which to this day is still the best forward looking indicator for viral prevalency.    Clearly the virus has burned out in some of the population zones.

Things moving along nicely.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Gummi Bear has been one of the best Twitter data analysts when it comes to COVID.   His projections here pretty much line up with what I believe.   I think we will hit new lows in deaths by October sometime and continue to go lower after that for a bit.    The question remains is does cross reactive T cell immunity along with 20% covid antibody truly  create herd-like immunity?  Some believe it doesn’t but the actual evidence suggests that it likely does.  And will we see a resurgence of viral infections throughout suburbs and rural parts of the country in the late fall early winter?

• Like (+1) 2

Joe Biden Makes a New Promise and It’s Why You Shouldn’t Vote for Him

The reasons to not vote for Joe Biden are fairly long. If you’re a conservative Republican, obviously there are policy considerations that make the choice easy. Do you want the former VP and the “foreign policy establishment” to regain power, instituting yet more disastrous decisions overseas? Economically, do you want higher taxes? Is an empowerment of the left-wing’s most radical elements preferable? What about Biden’s support for abortion until birth, an issue that some in the conservative commentariat tend to ignore these days?

These are all valid concerns and things that should absolutely be taken into consideration when judging how you will vote. But if the above policy considerations aren’t enough, Biden said something yesterday that adds to the list of reasons to oppose him.

I’ll note the media’s continued fetish with destroying the economy and your livelihood, which is what would even prompt a question like that to be asked. But it’s Biden’s answer that really stands out. He says “I would shut it down, I would listen to the scientists” without a hint of what that would actually mean.

Let me translate it: Biden is once again admitting that he’s not actually going to be President.

More at the link:

• Thank you (+1) 1