The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

22 minutes ago, Magox said:

I know that you aren't much of a critical thinker and you prove that day in and day out. 

But are you seriously this mind numbingly thick-headed?  

The only analysis that you are ever able to provide is not your own but something parroted from mainstream analysts or sources such as the underlined portion.   You don't have what it takes to understand that the huge disparity between NON COVID related deaths and COVID related deaths cannot be explained with your silly explanation.  That somehow,  there is a significant undercount of COVID related deaths of people age 44 and below.  

Do you not see how stupid that is?  Seriously, do you not see that?   We know that people who contract the virus below the age of 45 have a mortality rate of anywhere between .01% -.2%   of dying....And you mean to tell me that there is an under count of anywhere between 100%-300% of the recorded COVID death count.

GTFO.

Go troll someone else.  

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."

COVIDSurvivalRate.jpg

The scientific hero we all needed - MAGA OX

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

In case it's not clear enough that they're massively messing with us :lol: 

Doesn't the Red Queen usually also wear a crown?  And thought she carried a scimitar rather than a couple of taco salads.

Un-be-friggin'-lievable.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Magox said:

I know that you aren't much of a critical thinker and you prove that day in and day out. 

But are you seriously this mind numbingly thick-headed?  

The only analysis that you are ever able to provide is not your own but something parroted from mainstream analysts or sources such as the underlined portion.   You don't have what it takes to understand that the huge disparity between NON COVID related deaths and COVID related deaths cannot be explained with your silly explanation.  That somehow,  there is a significant undercount of COVID related deaths of people age 44 and below.  

Do you not see how stupid that is?  Seriously, do you not see that?   We know that people who contract the virus below the age of 45 have a mortality rate of anywhere between .01% -.2%   of dying....And you mean to tell me that there is an under count of anywhere between 100%-300% of the recorded COVID death count.

GTFO.

Go troll someone else.  

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."

COVIDSurvivalRate.jpg

Lots of insults and that's exciting but also totally non-responsive to the problem with that article. 

I said, "The problem with that "article" was that he concluded "Many of these deaths are likely from suicide, despair, alcohol and drug abuse, and violence.“"

You responded "NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE UNDER 45 ARE DYING FROM COVID." 

Your response has nothing to do with the problem with that paper (it avoids the CDC categorization problem too but you can't tackle either problem let alone the bigger one). 

You've evaded this problem 3 times. That is wise. But strike 3, you're out.  

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Walked the dog last night. Met up with another woman walking her dog. None of us were in masks. She brought up covid and I told her about the NYS numbers. She was afraid to here how bad they currently are, so admitted she had not checked. When I told her we have not had 800 cases in a day since the beginning of June, she just looked at me.

Our media deserves a public flogging.

Well said!  This a mess.  Not the virus, but the communication from the Media jackals and their friends in the Democrat party?  Don't tell me this isn't about the election, because it is!  Anyone notice how Governor Cuomo called it the European Virus during his taped speech to the DNC?  So, it's OK to scare your dog-walking neighbor to death and put people out of work so long as it's laid at the feet of those nasty "Europeans"?  Really?

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Well said!  This a mess.  Not the virus, but the communication from the Media jackals and their friends in the Democrat party?  Don't tell me this isn't about the election, because it is!  Anyone notice how Governor Cuomo called it the European Virus during his taped speech to the DNC?  So, it's OK to scare your dog-walking neighbor to death and put people out of work so long as it's laid at the feet of those nasty "Europeans"?  Really?

Right man. Cuomo is a awful Governor. As well as PA Governor.  Ya it is a big mess sadly with some insane Governor's. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Cuomo's been calling it the European virus for months.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right man. Cuomo is a awful Governor. As well as PA Governor.  Ya it is a big mess sadly with some insane Governor's. 

Philly restaurants still not open for indoor dining. 2% positives in Philly last two days.

PA is worse than NYS for controlling governors. At least in New York, NYC was hit by a Covid-bomb.   

image.thumb.png.60752cfb9b2300ee61a0e9f58227c076.png

Edited by shoshin
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Notice how they lump everyone over 60 into one category to make it look more threatening than it actually is? 

The guy who created that is a Q-anon lunatic Tweeter so take it up with him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Magox said:

By his logic we can call the virus throughout the country as the New York virus.

Have you seen the video showing how CNN was calling it the China and Wuhan virus for months until the Democratic Party leaders ordered them to stop it? Now it’s RACIST to say that. These are horrible people. 

Just now, shoshin said:

The guy who created that is a Q-anon lunatic Tweeter so take it up with him. 

Let me see if I have his phone number still. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have no idea where things stand here in CA.  When will things reopen? What will they base that reopening on?  Where do I find the answers to these and other questions?   It's like were all just sitting here looking at each other with our thumbs up our asses waiting for some gun to sound off so we can get back to our normal lives.   What a ***** shitshow. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

I have no idea where things stand here in CA.  When will things reopen? What will they base that reopening on?  Where do I find the answers to these and other questions?   It's like were all just sitting here looking at each other with our thumbs up our asses waiting for some gun to sound off so we can get back to our normal lives.   What a ***** shitshow. 

Nov. 4 there will be a miracle.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gary M said:

Nov. 4 there will be a miracle.

I just looked at the California Department of Public Health website.  I didn't see anything regarding updates as to what they need to see happen for things to open back up again.  This has been said a million times!  The long term damage of this shutdown will outweigh the death count by a LONG shot.  What the ***** are we doing?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

I just looked at the California Department of Public Health website.  I didn't see anything regarding updates as to what they need to see happen for things to open back up again.  This has been said a million times!  The long term damage of this shutdown will outweigh the death count by a LONG shot.  What the ***** are we doing?  

They can't publish metrics to reopen, because if you hit them you will expect to open. I am sure that cuomo never thought we would in NY, so once most of us hit phase 4 he stopped putting out the targets.

19 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

My understanding so far in CA is that the best way to get the state's attention is to hold a party in your house with about 20 people. 

They'll be in touch with you very quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Seriously? The Democrat governors are trying to make the pandemic as painful as possible, and financially destroy inconvenience as many businesses as possible so that they can blame Trump. The shutdowns haven't been about public safety in months.

20 minutes ago, Gary M said:

They can't publish metrics to reopen, because if you hit them you will expect to open. I am sure that cuomo never thought we would in NY, so once most of us hit phase 4 he stopped putting out the targets.

The grand idea for the NY court system is to not have a phase 5, but to keep adding numbers to phase 4 (we entered phase 4.1 of the reopening "plan" last week), to make it look like they're doing something.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

If Biden wins, the media messaging will change the day after the Election.  The changes on the ground will wait until after the inauguration....at which time the virus will "no longer be a concern".

• Like (+1) 2

I know a bunch or yoos guys have weighed in, but here's my commentary on the collective thinking out there:

I see a lot of regular PPP posters trying to discuss covid things over on the OTW side of the fence.  2 threads to choose from, but the facts one is off limits to any new contributions.  Most of the time the ideas that we have been discussing here are immediately poo-poo'd by the entire lot of people over there.  Most notably by the more powerful poster(s) over there (jannie).  And I would say our opinions over here are leaning right but fair when it comes to the virus, as I would venture a guess a few of the sane posters over here are lefties.  Not the majority, but there are a few.  You would think NFL football fans would take a hopeful approach using the latest information out there, but they just want the NFL season shut down.  Very strange to me.

I see this too in real life.  A few of the people that I thought were rational thinkers have completely lost it when it comes to our personal actions (don't leave the house anymore) and the decisions of local officials (school opening is the latest hot topic).  They are perfectly fine with locking down forever and obliterating people's businesses and livelihoods.  And a couple of these people are highly respected managers where I work.  I just don't get the disconnect.  They manage multi-million dollar budgets, make tough decisions every day, but this virus has them vapor locked.  Makes me think maybe they aren't as smart as they claim.

The only thing I keep coming back to is their voting preference.  It can't be that, can it?  Do you really throw science out the window when you have a president you don't like?

And what's up with the power trippin on the other side of the board?  I've had more than one comment deleted over there that was apolitical.  I just did not stick to the consensus covid notes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shoshin said:

Philly restaurants still not open for indoor dining. 2% positives in Philly last two days.

PA is worse than NYS for controlling governors. At least in New York, NYC was hit by a Covid-bomb.   

image.thumb.png.60752cfb9b2300ee61a0e9f58227c076.png

I turn 60 next year.  I'm *****.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Can be caused by any virus.

And he will recover.  

The heart related condition stuff is certainly worth noting.

It appears him playing the sport is what allowed them to detect it.  So maybe he doesn't die from simply jogging in his neighborhood.  Which btw, whether from Covid or any other virus that causes it, is very rare.  

I'm finding it hard to use it as justification for everyone else to not play sports as Dr. Solodad O'Brien seems to think.....  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Can be caused by any virus.

And he will recover.  

The heart related condition stuff is certainly worth noting.

It appears him playing the sport is what allowed them to detect it.  So maybe he doesn't die from simply jogging in his neighborhood.  Which btw, whether from Covid or any other virus that causes it, is very rare.  

I'm finding it hard to use it as justification for everyone else to not play sports as Dr. Solodad O'Brien seems to think.....  

Soledad is a horrible human being.  

More on the excess deaths and how a statistically significant number of them were due to the stringent social distancing measures.

OHCA is out of hospital cardiac arrests

—-“it is interesting to note that the excess in OHCA was greater than the number of patients who died with COVID-19 diagnoses during the same time frame.”——

and the crux of the overarching point that we have been making:

—- “

Finally, patient fear of contracting COVID-19 while seeking care may lead to avoidance of lifesaving therapies.

A review at the patient level is essential to obtain a more granular understanding of these data. However, in the interim, providers should consider the unintended consequence of the pandemic response in the context of chronic and emergent cardiovascular disease. ” ——

This is just one of the many forms of deaths caused by the stringent social distancing measures.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillStime said:

I don't consider a college student a kid so she's being intellectually dishonest.  Myocarditis and other heart complications can also be caused by the flu too but I guess they don't know enough about this virus yet to see what kind of long term impact it could have.  It's so rare though that imo it shouldn't cause colleges to shut down sports.  I guess lawsuits are the big concern.

3 hours ago, Magox said:

More on the excess deaths and how a statistically significant number of them were due to the stringent social distancing measures.

OHCA is out of hospital cardiac arrests

—-“it is interesting to note that the excess in OHCA was greater than the number of patients who died with COVID-19 diagnoses during the same time frame.”——

and the crux of the overarching point that we have been making:

—- “

Finally, patient fear of contracting COVID-19 while seeking care may lead to avoidance of lifesaving therapies.

A review at the patient level is essential to obtain a more granular understanding of these data. However, in the interim, providers should consider the unintended consequence of the pandemic response in the context of chronic and emergent cardiovascular disease. ” ——

This is just one of the many forms of deaths caused by the stringent social distancing measures.  

Yeah its not like heart disease kills 500-600k Americans every year...after year...after year. If only we had the militant everywhere you look warnings about the dangers of eating fast food like we do about not wearing masks.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Yeah its not like heart disease kills 500-600k Americans every year...after year...after year. If only we had the militant everywhere you look warnings about the dangers of eating fast food like we do about not wearing masks.

It's just common sense.   Imagine how many people have died from not getting the care they needed because of the stringent social distancing measures.   

• Like (+1) 3

21 hours ago, shoshin said:

Your link is from a month ago. 

The data I pasted--and the article Magox linked--is from yesterday. 

Just a mistake on your part. 

Madrid was not leading in new cases until a few days ago, which were in Andalucia and Aragon.  The troubling trend in Madrid has to be watched, as it's one of the few cases of a rebound in cases in a previously hard hit area.  

At some point you have to do your own interpretation of the data and not rely fully on what's being spoonfed.  Case in point is the excess death debate.   Why is it necessary to wait for CDC confirmation, when you can triangulate into the numbers from other data points?   The leading causes of death for people under 45 are unintended injuries, suicides and homicides.  Given the perverse incentive to attribute as many deaths as possible to Wuhan, you'd be seeing a hell of a lot more statistics about <45 yr old Wuhan deaths.  But since you're not seeing that, and insurance companies are reporting far fewer driving deaths since the lockdowns began, would lead to a logical conclusion that the excess deaths are caused by the other factors that are common among the <45 crowd.

• Like (+1) 2

More on excess deaths indirectly due to COVID and stringent social distancing measures.

Suicide edition due to economic factors

COVID-19's impact could include 20 more firearm suicides per day this year, analysis shows

The Great Recession, for example, led to an estimated 4,750 additional deaths by suicide -- though not all specifically by firearms. Based on Everytown's research of the impacts of unemployment on suicide from past recessions, the researchers estimate this economic downturn could lead to a 20 to 30% increase in the number of lives lost to suicide in the United States in 2020: an additional 5,000 to 7,000 lives.

And this from CDC 

Elevated levels of adverse mental health conditions, substance use, and suicidal ideation were reported by adults in the United States in June 2020. The prevalence of symptoms of anxiety disorder was approximately three times those reported in the second quarter of 2019 (25.5% versus 8.1%), and prevalence of depressive disorder was approximately four times that reported in the second quarter of 2019 (24.3% versus 6.5%) (2). However, given the methodological differences and potential unknown biases in survey designs, this analysis might not be directly comparable with data reported on anxiety and depression disorders in 2019 (2). Approximately one quarter of respondents reported symptoms of a TSRD related to the pandemic, and approximately one in 10 reported that they started or increased substance use because of COVID-19. Suicidal ideation was also elevated; approximately twice as many respondents reported serious consideration of suicide in the previous 30 days than did adults in the United States in 2018, referring to the previous 12 months (10.7% versus 4.3%) (6).

And more regarding suicides

“One of our suicides we had just barely missed,” said Oliver Morris, operations commander for the Los Alamos Police Department, who had conducted countless checks as an officer for almost 17 years. Like many other Americans during the pandemic, the person had begun to work remotely, Morris said, and his co-workers asked police to check on him.

Los Alamos has seen an increase in suicides during the pandemic, rising from just two last year to triple that many so far this year. 

The problem isn’t limited to that community. Cook County, Illinois, and Fresno, California, are among those reporting similar spikes, with suicides up 13 percent in Cook County so far compared with the same period last year. In Fresno, suicides were 70 percent higher in June than in the same month last year.

And who is it that typically commits suicides at higher rates than any other age group?

You guessed it -   Younger folks

image.thumb.png.8197d3efeb250170e1f4725f45fe8d0f.png

The more we apply logic and facts the more we understand that younger people are disproportionately affected by a wide margin when it comes to excess deaths caused by stringent social distancing measures.

17 minutes ago, GG said:

At some point you have to do your own interpretation of the data and not rely fully on what's being spoonfed.  Case in point is the excess death debate.   Why is it necessary to wait for CDC confirmation, when you can triangulate into the numbers from other data points?   The leading causes of death for people under 45 are unintended injuries, suicides and homicides.  Given the perverse incentive to attribute as many deaths as possible to Wuhan, you'd be seeing a hell of a lot more statistics about <45 yr old Wuhan deaths.  But since you're not seeing that, and insurance companies are reporting far fewer driving deaths since the lockdowns began, would lead to a logical conclusion that the excess deaths are caused by the other factors that are common among the <45 crowd.

Because he is an in-the-box thinker.

Edited by Magox

22 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Not sure what's the difference between the letting the car show go on and letting protests and riots happen.