The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

7 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I'm not arguing with you Shosh, and @Tiberius performed an important public service here.  CIS (Chlorox Ingestion Syndrome) is a problem in all 57 states.  According to Dr. Haywood Jabloemey, head of the Bleach Survivors Recovery Clinic at the Mayo Clinic "The very fabric of our society is at risk here.  Sodium Hydrochlorite, also known as bleach and on the street as 'pale, clean, white stank and bizleech'  is not just a problem for whites.  Some studies have indicated that the impact on people of color is even more devastating.  It changes who you are, the way you look, and often users describe the sensation of feeling washed out after prolonged usage."

I have a friend on the inside at One Bill's Drive, actually a friend of a friend.  Turns out the Bill's did consider selecting Pat Mahommes in that infamous draft, but there was concern amongst many GMs that PM was a "bleacher".  We all know Coach McD is a stickler on high character players and is said to have remarked "There ain't no way, no how I'm bringing a hopped up bleach freak into this organization!". 

Maybe it's not true, or just maybe Pat Mahommes is one of the lucky ones. 

Here's the thing: I think most people wouldn't drink bleach no matter what Trump said. But Trump still said we should investigate injecting surface disinfectants and UV light beneath the skin to kill a virus...as a treatment. It is, as stated above, evidence of a guy who doesn't understand the science here at a 5th grade level, and I guess that would be fine, if he would defer to the people who know better. 

Take for example, this interesting article about Sweden's approach and why its politicians and culture make a difference. Every time someone here says, "We should follow Sweden," I'm in agreement but note my belief that there's ZERO CHANCE we can do what Sweden is doing because we are culturally so different. Does the below sound like something Trump could stomach?

Sweden’s democratic system of government has a more pronounced epistocratic element than other comparable countries. The term means, roughly, rule by experts. By law and by tradition, Swedish politicians can’t tell the various government agencies what to do, and agencies count relatively few political appointees among their staff. This means that many of the day-to-day decisions relating to government business are made by staff hired on the basis of domain-relevant expertise, rather than political connections. “Ministerial rule” is expressly forbidden.

In the case of COVID-19 strategy, this means that many of the day-to-day decisions are made by staff epidemiologists at the Folkhälsomyndigheten (FHM), the Swedish Public Health Agency. In other countries COVID-19 policy is often developed and announced by politicians, with expert input as they see fit. In Sweden, policy is set by a panel of experts and typically announced by the chief epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, or his deputy. The latter have therefore, to a great extent, become the face of the government during the crisis.

Edited by shoshin

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We’ve got politicians who run around telling people that there’s a real chance a policeman will shoot you for no good reason and that half the people you bump into on the street are flat out racists....and we’re on the President for what now?  Come on people! Give the guy a break, for one single day! Geeeez

Geeeez, if only they would give the guy a break, for one single day... just like:

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Give me a break with your leftist ‘science’ nonsense! The scientists don’t have a terrific track record in this entire debacle. Go ahead....stay locked up in your house. The rest of us are going outside! Which is probably where we should have been all along, by the way.

Science schmience is your response? Shm-reduplication is more effective in Looney Toons than pandemic debate.

I didn't realize that science was party-affiliated.  

Outside of NY/NJ area a grand total of 6 states had more 100 deaths yesterday classified as Covid 19 related. That means 90% of America were in double digits and 50% of those were in single digits or had none at all.

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Science schmience is your response? Shm-reduplication is more effective in Looney Toons than pandemic debate.

I didn't realize that science was party-affiliated.  

Exactly what’s scientific about telling people to stay in their homes? That’s NOT science! That’s just....”we’ve run out of ideas”.

53 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

So we should have bet on the same Clintons that put our whole supply chain in China? The same ones giving away North America’s Uranium to Russia in order to enrich themselves? I’ll take a dumb comment from an honest man over betrayal of our country from sociopaths any day of the week.

Scoreboard bro....we have 30 percent of the cv19 cases and close to that in deaths worldwide..."dumb" comment from an "honest" man? More like massive debt and unemployment and a response to this situation - as compared to other counties that is mediocre to way below average...Your Clinton comments simply belie your brainwashed ignorance. 

Not sure why you guys settle for such incompetence... if you want to know what HC would have done...look at BO's response to Ebola for a template

I’ve always felt the biggest problem we face as a species is overpopulation. Well we've not had a major World War in 75 years, a real solid pandemic in over 100 until now. Those things keep populations somewhat in check but they do it indiscriminately. Taking along with it some of our best and brightest. Now the bleach consumption?  That will weed out those that are likely not very productive members of society. So having said that?  Trump is doing the world a favor. 

TRUMP 2020!  KEEP THE WINNING ROLLING!!

10 minutes ago, TH3 said:

we have 30 percent of the cv19 cases and close to that in deaths worldwide

Such a specious argument and disingenuous use of stats. First, you cannot use the world's population as a basis for percentage, as the spread of the virus hasn't been the same in all countries and over the entire population. 

However, for the sake of argument, if the virus equally spread throughout every country in the world, let's just look at some of the countries similar to us and how they are faring based on the world's population:

Italy has 9.39 times as many cases as they should and 18.20 times as many deaths
Spain has 13.81 times as many cases as they should and 20.95 times as many deaths
France has 7.49 times as many cases as they should and 14.14 times as many deaths
Belgium has 11.58 times as many cases as they should and 24.70 times as many deaths
Germany has 5.51 times as many cases as they should and 2.65 times as many deaths
The UK has 5.84 times as many cases as they should and 11.19 times as many deaths

These countries combined (roughly equal to population of the US) have 8.02 times as many cases as they should and 12.7 times as many deaths

The United States has 7.40 times as many cases as they should and 5.79 times as many deaths

Hmmmmm, it seems we are closer to Germany than we are to the others (particularly in deaths). I seem to remember you going on and on about what a great example Germany was.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Outside of NY/NJ area a grand total of 6 states had more 100 deaths yesterday classified as Covid 19 related. That means 90% of America were in double digits and 50% of those were in single digits or had none at all.

You've already put down science as political so let's try this another way using math. After weeks of the total US deaths being the same and NY/NJ making up 50-60% of the total US deaths, yesterday NY and NJ made up about 35%...but the total deaths are about the same. 

What that should tell you is that those "triple digit states" weren't triple digits two weeks ago and have risen as NY/NJ has fallen. Another way to look at that is what was once mostly a NY Metro problem is now more widely a problem for other regions. 

Exactly what’s scientific about telling people to stay in their homes? That’s NOT science! That’s just....”we’ve run out of ideas”.

It's overkill but it was literally the only thing we could do to get ahead of this for our health systems, especially in bigger metro areas. 

Do you think this will come back starting in the fall like the scientists think? 

Edited by shoshin

56 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

anyone with half a brain can read his comments (in context) and see that he’s not actually telling people to ingest disinfectants.  However, that was some piss-poor wording by him.

Which is very much par for the course.  He has serious issues constructing a proper sentence.

But he must always, always be taken literally.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Which is very much par for the course.  He has serious issues constructing a proper sentence.

This wasn't a grammar issue where he misused "which" and should have said "that." He was having a moment of lazy/magical thinking. 

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP:

Thank you very much. So I asked Bill a question that probably some of you are thinking of if you are totally into that world which I find to be very interesting. So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light and I think you said that hasn't been checked but you are going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body which you can do either through the skin or in some other way and I think you said you were going to test that too. It sounds interesting.

Right. And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number (INAUDIBLE) interesting to check that so that you are going to have to use medical doctors with but it sounds interesting to me so we will see but the whole concept of the light the way it kills it in one minute that's--that's pretty powerful. Steve, please.

Edited by shoshin

4 minutes ago, GG said:

should be some interesting debates in a few months.... heh.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, shoshin said:

This wasn't a grammar issue where he misused "which" and should have said "that." He was having a moment of lazy/magical thinking. 

And you are better than this. Turning an inarticulately worded question, that came off sounding stupid, into something more than it was.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GG said:

I watch the press conferences and at first, I thought he was joking but WTF?

Imagine that's the person you report to?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

You've already put down science as political so let's try this another way using math. After weeks of the total US deaths being the same and NY/NJ making up 50-60% of the total US deaths, yesterday NY and NJ made up about 35%...but the total deaths are about the same. 

What that should tell you is that those "triple digit states" weren't triple digits two weeks ago and have risen as NY/NJ has fallen.

It's overkill but it was literally the only thing we could do to get ahead of this for our health systems, especially in bigger metro areas. 

Do you think this will come back starting in the fall like the scientists think? 

Here are the figures after THREE MONTHS:

These are deaths per million people:

NY 1,093

NJ    661

CA      39
FL       48

TX       21

My point is that this is nowhere near the same problem all over the country.   Those last three are very large states with very large urban centers.  After three months of incubation time ‘science’ would say there shouldn’t be that kind of disparity. One size definitely does NOT fit all in our strategy to combat this virus.

And, yes I’d guess that it will come back to a degree in the Fall but so do many seasonal conditions that you’ve gotten so used to that you don’t even give them a passing thought. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Biden has way worse issues than Trump, but I'm already cringing. 

That's the point. 

Both have a knack of putting together sentences that look like they have been translated from English to Swahili to Farsi and then back to English with a first generation translation software.  Yet Trump is seen as a moron, but Biden has a speech impediment.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, shoshin said:

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP:

Thank you very much. So I asked Bill a question that probably some of you are thinking of if you are totally into that world which I find to be very interesting. So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light and I think you said that hasn't been checked but you are going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body which you can do either through the skin or in some other way and I think you said you were going to test that too. It sounds interesting.

Right. And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number (INAUDIBLE) interesting to check that so that you are going to have to use medical doctors with but it sounds interesting to me so we will see but the whole concept of the light the way it kills it in one minute that's--that's pretty powerful. Steve, please.

Such stupidity. 

His lack of intelligence is astounding. 

• Like (+1) 1