The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Lebon is great. This is Australia. Aside from the nonsense of this protest, which is a fraud on it's own,  is social distancing not a thing any more? Or did the sheep find another shiny new cause to push communism? What a clown show the world is now. Where is a real pandemic when you need it with all these dipshites clogging up the cities.

Edited by Dante

Curious ad placement, even more curious that i have NEVER in my life searched for biking underwear or bike shorts #forthatmatter

468424450_Annotation2020-06-08173700.thumb.png.81830ca3d77d49650016b370106bd988.png

55 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Nor this.........

IT’S COME TO THIS: Minneapolis City Council President Lisa Bender tells CNN that Not Wanting To Be Raped And Robbed Is White Privilege.

• Haha (+1) 3

17 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

All you needed to do was carry some sort of protest sign with you from the car to the tent and you'd have been safe. Haven't you learned anything in the last couple of weeks? 

I wanted to go in the store the other day, but I didn't have a placebo mask and I didn't want to get arrested, so I tore the cardboard off the side of a box of beer and wrote "Black Lives Matter" on it. 

Mama didn't raise no fool.

• Haha (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Magox said:

It's over.  The public will not accept a lock down.  

As I've said for over a month now, take care of the elderly, frontline workers, exercise some basic safety measures and plow forward.  

Most Americans are wise enough to know that the risks are tiny for the great majority of the populace and they aren't going to continue destroying their way of living and livelihood over something that has this tiny of a death rate for working class folks.   We're willing to take that risk but what we aren't willing to do is get conned by the elite technocratic health experts and ideological tyrannical elected politicians who are willing to step on your rights but not for those who support their preferred causes.

It's a farce!

BRAV-OH!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Yesterday, Monday, once again not a single state reported triple digit Covid deaths. Approximately 30 states were in single digits with half of those reporting zero deaths. The curve is gone. Now...we sit back and wait for the post rioting Covid bump media driven hysteria. Should be right around this weekend if my math is correct. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yesterday, Monday, once again not a single state reported triple digit Covid deaths. Approximately 30 states were in single digits with half of those reporting zero deaths. The curve is gone. Now...we sit back and wait for the post rioting Covid bump media driven hysteria. Should be right around this weekend if my math is correct. 

Yuuuup

1 minute ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Are you saying the deaths don't matter and we shouldn't have taken these measures because very old people are the main demographic for which this is fatal?

No.  I've posted about this topic ad nauseum on this forum.

What this means is that a different more targeted approach would have been better than this.  As a result of the draconian lock downs, there are lots of negative effects as well.  Suicides way up, cancer screenings way down, about a 50% reduction in reported heart attacks/strokes, spousal and child abuse way up, alcohol and drug use way up, depression and anxiety way up not to mention all the economic devastation. 

So considering that the average profile of the person who dies from this virus is age 81 with 2.7 comorbidites (which means they were near the end of their lives), the best overall strategy not just for the economy but for overall public health would have been to protect the nursing homes and people most vulnerable, frontline workers while the rest of society practiced basic social distancing guidelines without the lock downs and stringent social distancing measures.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Are you saying the deaths don't matter and we shouldn't have taken these measures because very old people are the main demographic for which this is fatal?

Why do you get in your car each morning? Do you know how many people die in car accidents each year? 

Of course the deaths matter, but as with everything, we as a society take reasonable precautions- not drastic measures with little positive effect. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

My take is that the numbers show that older and/or higher risk people should consider taking measures to reduce their potential exposure and risk while younger and lower risk people should not be restricted any longer aside from distancing from higher risk people. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

No.  I've posted about this topic ad nauseum on this forum.

What this means is that a different more targeted approach would have been better than this.  As a result of the draconian lock downs, there are lots of negative effects as well.  Suicides way up, cancer screenings way down, about a 50% reduction in reported heart attacks/strokes, spousal and child abuse way up, alcohol and drug use way up, depression and anxiety way up not to mention all the economic devastation. 

So considering that the average profile of the person who dies from this virus is age 81 with 2.7 comorbidites (which means they were near the end of their lives), the best overall strategy not just for the economy but for overall public health would have been to protect the nursing homes and people most vulnerable, frontline workers while the rest of society practiced basic social distancing guidelines without the lock downs and stringent social distancing measures.

Coronavirus Cases Up; Cuomo Says More to Come

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Why do you get in your car each morning? Do you know how many people die in car accidents each year? 

Of course the deaths matter, but as with everything, we as a society take reasonable precautions- not drastic measures with little positive effect. 

This is a very good point.  It's a matter of relative risk and the precautions you take within that risk group.

Somewhere along the line you draw a distinction.  You don't have a uniformed policy if the facts on the ground don't call for it.

• Like (+1) 5

THE SCIENCE ISN’T SETTLED UNTIL WE SAY IT’S SETTLED: 

The W.H.O. walked back an earlier assertion that asymptomatic transmission is ‘very rare.’

A top expert at the World Health Organization on Tuesday walked back her earlier assertion that transmission of the coronavirus by people who do not have symptoms is “very rare.”

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, who made the original comment at a W.H.O. briefing on Monday, said that it was based on just two or three studies and that it was a “misunderstanding” to say asymptomatic transmission is rare globally.

“I was just responding to a question, I wasn’t stating a policy of W.H.O. or anything like that,” she said.

Dr. Van Kerkhove said that the estimates of transmission from people without symptoms come primarily from models, which may not provide an accurate representation. “That’s a big open question, and that remains an open question,” she said.

Well, okay then.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

THE SCIENCE ISN’T SETTLED UNTIL WE SAY IT’S SETTLED: 

The W.H.O. walked back an earlier assertion that asymptomatic transmission is ‘very rare.’

A top expert at the World Health Organization on Tuesday walked back her earlier assertion that transmission of the coronavirus by people who do not have symptoms is “very rare.”

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, who made the original comment at a W.H.O. briefing on Monday, said that it was based on just two or three studies and that it was a “misunderstanding” to say asymptomatic transmission is rare globally.

“I was just responding to a question, I wasn’t stating a policy of W.H.O. or anything like that,” she said.

Dr. Van Kerkhove said that the estimates of transmission from people without symptoms come primarily from models, which may not provide an accurate representation. “That’s a big open question, and that remains an open question,” she said.

Well, okay then.

just another changing of the minds among the so called experts.... smdh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, B-Man said:

But it was good enough to use models, which may not provide an accurate representation, to close down the world and keep it closed?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Yuuuup

The rising cases from reopening in the south and west should be a lesson. It takes a few weeks for the exponential growth to show a spike. Cases are rising everywhere after opening.It will take 6-8 weeks to see the rise if we use the south as an indication. AZ has its largest hospital system at capacity. NC has rising cases. UT has hugely rising cases. 

The fall could be tough. 

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The rising cases from reopening in the south and west should be a lesson. It takes a few weeks for the exponential growth to show a spike. Cases are rising everywhere after opening.It will take 6-8 weeks to see the rise if we use the south as an indication. AZ has its largest hospital system at capacity. NC has rising cases. UT has hugely rising cases. 

The fall could be tough. 

What we need to be concerned about are deaths, not cases. Many would say that the more cases there are the better, as herd immunity will rise with an increase in cases.  And, this time around, like so many people have posted OLD PEOPLE need to be extremely vigilant.  Remember of course that many elderly patients (like my late grandfather) die in the hospital every day after contracting something they did not have when they were admitted.

2 hours ago, GG said:

But it was good enough to use models, which may not provide an accurate representation, to close down the world and keep it closed?

the models are way better that the press conf report that transmission is very rare..

that is only based on review of actual data, from actual infected people which clearly shows that covid is not nearly as transmissable as the models show.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

What we need to be concerned about are deaths, not cases. Many would say that the more cases there are the better, as herd immunity will rise with an increase in cases.  And, this time around, like so many people have posted OLD PEOPLE need to be extremely vigilant.  Remember of course that many elderly patients (like my late grandfather) die in the hospital every day after contracting something they did not have when they were admitted.

Hospitalization is the limiting resource, though I have first hand accounts in my house that my wife says PPE is still not adequate in the largest hospital system in PA, so even that remains an embarrassing shortfall.

41 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Hospitalization is the limiting resource, though I have first hand accounts in my house that my wife says PPE is still not adequate in the largest hospital system in PA, so even that remains an embarrassing shortfall.

Embarrassing? You have the expectation that a country the size of the USA could create enough of disposal anything to equip the entire nation with product that’s intended to be refilled two or three times a day? How about we make sure that the hospital staff have the proper equipment before we tell 300 Million people that they HAVE TO wear masks while walking on the beach! How about the people in charge start checking Supply before making Demands?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Hospitalizations were the limiting resource when too much of the virus & treatment wasn't known.   Now that the treatments are improving you're seeing less hospitalizations turn into ICUs and less ICUs turning into deaths.

Does it surprise you that any positive developments are never mentioned when discussing this "second" wave?  I

'm not going to accuse you of pumping up the scary stories about the Texas medical system running red.  That was the big story starting last week, right.  But why weren't those stories accompanied by the status of ICU bed capacity and the very low death rate from those hospitalizations? 

Seems like that should be the bold type of the headlines - Texas cases are going up, more people require hospitalizations, but very few progress to ICU, and even fewer die!   

Why show graphs that are consistently solidly green, when you can show selected days of a less important statistic that is red?

9b-daily-new-covid-6-9-2020.png

9-TMC-total-icu-bed-occupancy-6-9-2020.p

8-TMC-ICU-Bed-Capacity-6-9-2020.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

@GG even though I’m pretty much done speaking about this topic with any sort of detail or nuance simply because I think it’s a settled issue with the public and the return to more widespread stringent social distancing measures are over, another reason why hospitalizations are up is because hospitals are opening up throughout the state.  More people feel comfortable getting out and more are being admitted as a result of it.  Which also explains the lower ICU rates. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Magox said:

@GG even though I’m pretty much done speaking about this topic with any sort of detail or nuance simply because I think it’s a settled issue with the public and the return to more widespread stringent social distancing measures are over, another reason why hospitalizations are up is because hospitals are opening up throughout the state.  More people feel comfortable getting out and more are being admitted as a result of it.  Which also explains the lower ICU rates. 

But look at the bottom graph.  Covid is not the lead use of ICU capacity in Texas.   This thing is done. 

• Like (+1) 2

This crisis is over.  We've moved on.

They are running full page ads in the Seattle Times encouraging people to come in and get tested if they think they need or want to.

I got tested yesterday at the VA.  They had 2 lanes set up in the parking garage manned by 4 people plus one person checking people in.

I was told to get there 15 minutes before but arrived 30 since traffic was light.  They wave me right in.  There was no one else there getting tested.  They didn't have my paper work so I had to wait for 10 minutes for them to get it.  No one else pulled up.  Then they tested me and I left.  In the 20 minutes I was there I was the only one tested.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

This crisis is over.  We've moved on.

They are running full page ads in the Seattle Times encouraging people to come in and get tested if they think they need or want to.

I got tested yesterday at the VA.  They had 2 lanes set up in the parking garage manned by 4 people plus one person checking people in.

I was told to get there 15 minutes before but arrived 30 since traffic was light.  They wave me right in.  There was no one else there getting tested.  They didn't have my paper work so I had to wait for 10 minutes for them to get it.  No one else pulled up.  Then they tested me and I left.  In the 20 minutes I was there I was the only one tested.

Thanks for sharing your story. My experience in Southern California has been the same. Yet Shosin comes on here every day claiming we have a testing problem. I’m not sure where he lives? Or whether he’s had trouble getting a test?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for sharing your story. My experience in Southern California has been the same. Yet Shosin comes on here every day claiming we have a testing problem. I’m not sure where he lives? Or whether he’s had trouble getting a test?

Heck, right before phase 1 opened in Erie County (we are in phase 2) I was thinking about getting tested so more covid-19 negative tests would get us open. There were tons of open appointments, even that day. The two places closest to me had zero cars anytime I drove by them, etc. If you want a test, you can get a test, and it has been that way for over a month.

• Like (+1) 2

GG, SoCal, and Magox declare that the crisis is over. 

I hope you're right, and I'm not sure what "over" means as I assume you still expect a 500+ deaths per day for the next 7-8 months. But I do hope you're right. 

I'm just hoping we stay open because I don't think closing was ever a great idea. The economy can't take closures. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I hope you're right, and I'm not sure what "over" means as I assume you still expect a 500+ deaths per day for the next 7-8 months. But I do hope you're right. 

I'm just hoping we stay open because I don't think closing was ever a great idea. The economy can't take closures. 

The virus isn't over, but the crisis is.  

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, GG said:

The virus isn't over, but the crisis is.  

They'll get back to it as the "come what may" approach seems to be backfiring with increased hospitalizations in mostly Southern states.

12 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

The more we continue to be exposed to the 5G waves, to quicker we all become immune to them. Makes sense - the crisis is done. #FakeVirus

Stop being a troll.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/covid-19-is-under-control-in-montreal-health-officials-say

Keep in mind Montreal was a hot zone.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They'll get back to it as the "come what may" approach seems to be backfiring with increased hospitalizations in mostly Southern states.

Were these southern states hit hard already?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The public was already beginning to break the stay at home orders weeks ago, the public was weary as it was.  But once the Governors began to play politics by valuing certain people’s rights over others and then many of the public health officials turned out to be hacks, it ended.

The public will not accept these frauds to tell them to return back to the hell that were the stay at home orders.  It’s over, there is no return and if some governors attempt to do so they will be defied.

Ive only said this probably like 10 different times in 10 different ways.  You don’t agree with it? Fine.  But it’s not something that I’m making up, I see their weariness and skepticism.   They won’t tolerate it.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Magox said:

The public was already beginning to break the stay at home orders weeks ago, the public was weary as it was.  But once the Governors began to play politics by valuing certain people’s rights over others and then many of the public health officials turned out to be hacks, it ended.

The public will not accept these frauds to tell them to return back to the hell that were the stay at home orders.  It’s over, there is no return and if some governors attempt to do so they will be defied.

Ive only said this probably like 10 different times in 10 different ways.  You don’t agree with it? Fine.  But it’s not something that I’m making up, I see their weariness and skepticism.   They won’t tolerate it.

We have the same issue here.  Restaurants should be open soon but no bars or gyms?  Many of these owners have threatened to defy the orders of the government.  

• Like (+1) 2