The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

The right wing mob led by DR's favorite anti-Mueller Twitter personality can't wait for the good doctor to get axed

Right wing rubes here called the NY Times reporting FAKE NEWS. It wasn't.

Does this sound like a senior health official who was calling Code Red behind the scenes?  Note the date.

Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Dr. Anthony Fauci tells TODAY that Vice President Pence was correct in saying there are not currently enough coronavirus test kits to meet demand, “but hopefully in future we will.” He maintains “the overall risk in the country of getting infected is low” but “it’s something you take very seriously.” He says that Seattle officials were right to adopt a “social distancing” strategy, but “we’re not there yet as a nation.”

March 6, 2020

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

This thread is now back to it's unreadable state with all the paid DNC farting going on.  Much better over the weekend.  Bye Felicias. 

Yeah, there are a few disingenuous people (trolls and paid) who infect nearly every thread with hooey. Using the ignore feature makes things much more readable, and you miss the I-know-what-you-are-but-what-am-I exchanges.

Note: that is not to say people should ignore those with different political views or takes, simply the trolls... ok, and maybe the crazies. ?

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Two things:

1) ***** China

2) ***** pandemic shamers.

I had to re-adjust my mask in Wegmans a couple times this morning... now I’m worried I’m going to be shamed on social media.

Today's press briefing should be interesting to say the least.

My thoughts on Fauci's comments:

1) If you listen to the interview with Tapper it does not fully reflect the selected quotes that are circulating.  You can listen to the entire interview here.

2) With that said, he certainly did suggest that if social distancing occurred in Late February, that we would have less lives lost.

3) What Fauci is saying here he also communicated to all the governors, at least the risks of the Virus.

Although concerns over coronavirus and its ramifications didn't manifest until March in the U.S., U.S. governors were briefed February 9 at the National Governors Association Winter Meeting by members of Donald Trump's coronavirus task force on the growing threat of the respiratory virus.

Centers for Disease Control Director Robert Redfield and the government's top immunologist and infectious diseases expert Anthony Fauci revealed the threats of coronavirus to governors in early February.

The NGA meeting was hosted by Chairman and Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, and attended by more than half of the nation's state leaders.

Hogan said Redfield and Fauci's statements were alarming to several governors at the time.

'The doctors and the scientists, they were telling us then exactly what they are saying now,' Hogan, a Republican, told The Washington Post in an article Saturday.

Why is this important?  It's not to blame the other governors.  The first case of "community spread" in the U.S until late February.  Just put yourself in the shoes of the President and the governors of each of these states.  California was one of the first states to issue a stay-at-home order until March 19th.  New York even later than that.   The idea, that Trump or the governors were going to begin shutting down the economy before a single case or a handful of cases was never going to happen.  Europe didn't do it and North America either.   

4) Fauci is not a stupid guy.  I'm not sure if this is a CYA for his reputation or something broader than that.  He has said a couple things where it made initial news and then he went on to clarify it later on.  

5) Trump retweeting a "fire Fauci" hashtag is interesting.  Clearly there is a level of friction and he is getting pressure from his right wing base to minimize Fauci's role.  I think that is a terrible idea.  Or, it could be his way of sending a brushback pitch to Fauci.  Who knows?   But without doubt that will be the most anticipated question in today's briefing.   Will Fauci even be there?  If so, will he clarify?   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I had to re-adjust my mask in Wegmans a couple times this morning... now I’m worried I’m going to be shamed on social media.

The shamers are the same people who would have turned in Anne Frank.  The shaming and tattling has gotten ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2

Trump rage-tweeted at "Fox News Sunday" host Chris Wallace. Presumably what set Trump off was Wallace’s question to Tom Inglesby, director of the Center for Health Security at Johns Hopkins University: “Doctor, let’s start with that New York Times report that from January on, top public health officials were warning the president about the threat from the pandemic and that he did not take action until mid-March. One, what’s your reaction to the report? And how much did those lost weeks cost us?” Trump and Republicans want that issue to be lost in the political ether.

Inglesby’s answer might have shocked Fox News viewers who have lived in the cocoon of pro-Trump propaganda. (Disclaimer: I am an MSNBC contributor.) “I would say that that article reinforces what we’ve heard along the way, which is that many in the administration were very worried about this as early as January and February,” Inglesby said. “That seems pretty clear now. And I’d also say that if we had acted on some of those mornings earlier, we would be in a much better position in terms of diagnostics and possibly masks and personal protective equipment and getting our hospitals ready.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/13/fauci-admits-delay-cost-lives-trumpers-should-too/

2 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Bill Mitchell is spinning.

Who is Bill Mitchell?

Out of my own personal curiosity and also to gauge whether or not your reasonable about things, do you think some clarification is in order from Dr. Fauci regarding his March 6th statement and Yesterday's Tapper interview? 

1 minute ago, GG said:

Who is Bill Mitchell and what does he have to do with Fauci's interview on March 6?

That's basically what I just asked.

1 minute ago, Magox said:

Who is Bill Mitchell?

Out of my own personal curiosity and also to gauge whether or not your reasonable about things, do you think some clarification is in order from Dr. Fauci regarding his March 6th statement and Yesterday's Tapper interview? 

Some RW twitter troll i guess.

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Who is Bill Mitchell and what does he have to do with Fauci's interview on March 6?

He's the guy I quoted in my example of right wing media paving the way to push out Fauci.

March 6th has zero to do with a thing I said

Edited by Gary Busey
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

Wow!

That certainly does not jive with his comments in Tapper's interview......He's got some explaining to do.

The understatement of the interview though wasn't Fauci's commentary, but the Today anchor asking him about a case where NBC reporter came back from covering the spread in Lombardy, but wasn't asked any questions upon landing.  Fauci was surprised, because the procedures were in place to question arrivals about their travels. 

So, while everyone is getting their panties in a wad about lack of response from the higher ups, the truth is more likely that plain old on-the-ground incompetence at JFK or Newark may have stoked the spread in the NYC area.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Public health and national security experts shake their heads when President Donald Trump says the coronavirus “came out of nowhere” and “blindsided the world.”

They’ve been warning about the next pandemic for years and criticized the Trump administration’s decision in 2018 to dismantle a National Security Council directorate at the White House charged with preparing for when, not if, another pandemic would hit the nation.

“It would be nice if the office was still there,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institute of Health, told Congress this week. “I wouldn’t necessarily characterize it as a mistake (to eliminate the unit). I would say we worked very well with that office.”The NSC directorate for global health and security and bio-defense survived the transition from President Barack Obama to Trump in 2017.

Trump’s elimination of the office suggested, along with his proposed budget cuts for the CDC, that he did not see the threat of pandemics in the same way that many experts in the field did.

“One year later I was mystified when the White House dissolved the office, leaving the country less prepared for pandemics like COVID-19,” Beth Cameron, the first director of the unit, wrote in an op-ed Friday in The Washington Post.

We can pretend this never happened...

3 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

He's the guy I quoted in my example of right wing media paving the way to push out Fauci.

March 6th has zero to do with a thing I said

Do you think Fauci's comments over the weekend are inconsistent with his comments all the way through March 12?