The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you're saying we need to move those two ships again?  Not again? I could barely stomach the non-stop coverage of the one slowly creeping into New York harbor.

And the inevitable rush to the berths to see the ships docking in the middle of a pandemic!

All that has happened is States that have never peaked are peaking and replacing the States that did peak.  That's why total cases are flat.  

But from 6 weeks ago percent positives overall is way down and most importantly so are deaths.  

Because it wasn't as deadly as they feared.  No one has been "sheltering in place since Easter.  That was April 6.  2 plus months ago.  No surge.  No overwhelmed hospitals.  The kids are out of school.....we need to be fully open understanding the "risks" right now giving everyone the choice.

Unemployment runs out in July.  Time to get back to work.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Tests surge and drop all the time but to hit almost 600K is incredible. I didn’t dive in on states but I do know that tests in PA today were a record high by 20%, which could be post Covid surge of tests taken and also some protest-delayed results (testing slowed during the protests because some places were shut down or not getting samples out as fast). 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I thought the whole idea was more testing, which would discover more cases as we move toward herd immunity?  I thought overwhelming the hospitals is what would be bad, not necessarily testing positive for COVID-19/antibodies (unless it landed you in  the hospital)?

The goalposts to end this crisis change based upon political expediency.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Critical thinking is called for here. 

You don't go from 40-50 new hospitalizations a day for 3 months to suddenly one in one day. 

What happens in AZ is probably what happens in PA, and that is that the hospitalization data trails. You can't look at PA hospitalizations within the last 7 days--it's always very low, but gets filled in later. 

Just an FYI. That's a bunk number from someone not giving it a lot of thought. 

Just stuff to watch. 

"Texas previously saw record levels of COVID-19 hospitalizations this week, with 1,935 patients on Monday, 2,056 on Tuesday and 2,153 patients on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, John Wittman, a spokesman for Gov. Greg Abbott, wrote in email that “every Texan who needs access to a hospital bed will have access to a hospital bed.”

...Friday, DSHS reported roughly 14,000 available hospital beds, about 1,500 intensive care unit beds and more than 5,800 available ventilators. Hospitalizations have been trending upward since late May, and have increased by 43.3% since the 1,511 patients hospitalized on Memorial Day. Before this week, the previous record for hospitalizations was on May 5 when 1,888 patients were hospitalized."

It sounds there like there's a massive capacity for the governor to being considering putting off voluntary surgeries (again), this is getting attention for a reason. Sharp rises will open anyone's eyes. Hopefully this will level off but those severe spikes are reminiscent of the ones we saw in the northeast in April. 

27 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

You should consider granting this virus the same lens.

Why?  50-60k people die each year of the flu and no one bats an eye.

So now we have a virus that may kill 200k and you know what?  It sucks.  

But we have a virus that came from China in which they covered it up which really screwed everyone and now we are where we are.  We just have to deal with it the best we can while returning to normalcy.

We know that the virus is on par as the regular flu for people under age 60 and slightly more dangerous for those between 60-80 and considerably more for those over 80.

We aren’t going to do another shut down or stringent measures any longer, that ship has sailed for a myriad of reasons.  That is over.

And if so it will be on a county by county basis.  Unless it’s by some paternalistic governor from a blue state.  Even then compliance will suck.

Now we move forward while taking precautions for those that are most vulnerable while everyone else practicing common sense measures.

There is no looking back.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 8

55 minutes ago, Magox said:

But we have a virus that came from China in which they covered it up which really screwed everyone and now we are where we are.  We just have to deal with it the best we can while returning to normalcy.

We know that the virus is on par as the regular flu for people under age 60 and slightly more dangerous for those between 60-80 and considerably more for those over 80.

We aren’t going to do another shut down or stringent measures any longer, that ship has sailed for a myriad of reasons.  That is over.

And if so it will be on a county by county basis.  Unless it’s by some paternalistic governor from a blue state.  Even then compliance will suck.

Now we move forward while taking precautions for those that are most vulnerable while everyone else practicing common sense measures.

Well said.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

If only Trump didn’t absolutely destroy our pandemic infrastructure. If only Trump didn’t ignore his own intelligence in November 2019.

Thanks Trump voters

image.thumb.jpeg.1033e470c896e93c0d08ea6481bbef8d.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gene Frenkle said:

You should consider granting this virus the same lens.

One has a relatively predictable history the other has no history at all. 

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

If only Trump didn’t absolutely destroy our pandemic infrastructure. If only Trump didn’t ignore his own intelligence in November 2019.

Thanks Trump voters

image.thumb.jpeg.1033e470c896e93c0d08ea6481bbef8d.jpeg

What do your models show regarding the number of COVID deaths do date had we not all voted for Trump?

19 minutes ago, BillStime said:

If only Trump didn’t ignore his own intelligence in November 2019.

I’ve never seen this assertion shown to be accurate. 

Do you have a link to something that backs up your claim? I’ve looked. There’s only an un-attributed ABC news story. Do you have anything else?

16 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

One has a relatively predictable history the other has no history at all. 

What do your models show regarding the number of COVID deaths do date had we not all voted for Trump?

A picture tells a thousand words

- 3 countries run by authoritarian strongmen - US, Russia and Brazil 

- 3 democracies run by women leaders- Germany, New Zealand and Iceland 

image.thumb.jpeg.11f0378fa617584f1431291c09a43eff.jpeg

Draw your own conclusions 

9 minutes ago, snafu said:

I’ve never seen this assertion shown to be accurate. 

Do you have a link to something that backs up your claim? I’ve looked. There’s only an un-attributed ABC news story. Do you have anything else?

We were warned five years ago... but Google it - do some research. I have also posted several links in the past; including today. 

5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

A picture tells a thousand words

- 3 countries run by authoritarian strongmen - US, Russia and Brazil 

- 3 democracies run by women leaders- Germany, New Zealand and Iceland 

image.thumb.jpeg.11f0378fa617584f1431291c09a43eff.jpeg

Draw your own conclusions 

My conclusion is this.  1) You are charting 6 out of 195 countries so it is very limited.  2) It oversimplifies a very complex situation.

I know your conclusion shows that 2 out of 3 run by women show very low amount of cases.  First Germany seems relatively high and second what are the testing rates of the other two.  That is a VERY important variable in this wouldn't you agree?

We were warned five years ago... but Google it - do some research. I have also posted several links in the past; including today. 

Oh. You don’t say. 

Five years ago we were warned about Covid-19. 

And Trump, the non-President ignored the info. 

Got it.  

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

My conclusion is this.  1) You are charting 6 out of 195 countries so it is very limited.  2) It oversimplifies a very complex situation.

I know your conclusion shows that 2 out of 3 run by women show very low amount of cases.  First Germany seems relatively high and second what are the testing rates of the other two.  That is a VERY important variable in this wouldn't you agree?

Population of Iceland 364,000

Polulation of Erie County 915,000

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Very good words by Obama.  He said some very good and spot things.  But what did he do about it?

We were warned... and Trumps response?

Video emerges showing Trump talking about cutting pandemic team in 2018, despite saying last week 'I didn't know about it'

Huh???  Seriously. You're pulling the racism card out?  WTF dude? 

Harder Jim - reach harder.

Who lives in Trumps head? Who has destroyed just about everything Obama accomplished? Who cheers Trump on?

THANKS TRUMP VOTERS

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

And there it is folks. I ask an honest question of:  What did Obama do about it? And the answer is.

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP.   YOU'RE A RACIST.  

It's getting real tiresome guys. 

So I'll say it again. Bravo on Obama for saying we need to get prepared.  And I'll ask it again @BillStime What did he do to prepare?

Edited by Chef Jim

And there it is folks. I ask an honest question of:  What did Obama do about it? And the answer is.

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP.   YOU'RE A RACIST.  

It's getting real tiresome guys. 

How much more could Obama warm us? He literally spelled it out - left a freakn blue print - and Trump threw it all away... and Americans died.

You really suck at this Jim

How much more could Obama warm us? He literally spelled it out - left a freakn blue print - and Trump threw it all away... and Americans died.

You really suck at this Jim

I suck?  No sir.  I asked a serious question. And I'll ask a third time seeing you have a hard time answering it.  I seriously want to know "what did Obama do to prepare us for this?"   And according to the video you linked it he talked about it back in 2004.  Great for having a vision.  But what did he do about it?  

Edited by Chef Jim

10 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I suck?  No sir.  I asked a serious question. And I'll ask a third time seeing you have a hard time answering it.  I seriously want to know "what did Obama do to prepare us for this?"   And according to the video you linked it he talked about it back in 2004.  Great for having a vision.  But what did he do about it?  

Obama left us a blue print.

And in the past 3.5 years into the Trump presidency - what has Trump done to prepare us for a pandemic besides golf?

* In 2018 Trump fired Homeland Security Advisor Tom Bossart, whose job was to coordinate a response to global pandemics. He was not replaced.

* In 2018 Dr. Luciana Borio, the NSC director for medical and bio-defense preparedness left the job. Trump did not replace Dr. Borio.

* In 2018, at Trump’s direction, the CDC stopped funding epidemic prevention activities in 39 out of 49 countries including China.

* In 2019 the NSC’s Senior Director for Global Health Security and bio-defense, Tim Ziemer, left the position and Trump did not replace the Rear Admiral.

* Trump shut down the entire Global Health Security and Bio-defense agency. 

* Amid the explosive worldwide outbreak of the virus Trump proposed a 19% cut to the budget of the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention plus a 10% cut to Public Health Services and a 7% cut to Global Health Services. Those happen to be the organizations that respond to public health threats.

Trump destroyed our infrastructure and blamed Obama; just like you are inferring.

image.jpeg

7 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Obama left us a blue print.

And in the past 3.5 years into the Trump presidency - what has Trump done to prepare us for a pandemic besides golf?

* In 2018 Trump fired Homeland Security Advisor Tom Bossart, whose job was to coordinate a response to global pandemics. He was not replaced.

* In 2018 Dr. Luciana Borio, the NSC director for medical and bio-defense preparedness left the job. Trump did not replace Dr. Borio.

* In 2018, at Trump’s direction, the CDC stopped funding epidemic prevention activities in 39 out of 49 countries including China.

* In 2019 the NSC’s Senior Director for Global Health Security and bio-defense, Tim Ziemer, left the position and Trump did not replace the Rear Admiral.

* Trump shut down the entire Global Health Security and Bio-defense agency. 

* Amid the explosive worldwide outbreak of the virus Trump proposed a 19% cut to the budget of the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention plus a 10% cut to Public Health Services and a 7% cut to Global Health Services. Those happen to be the organizations that respond to public health threats.

Trump destroyed our infrastructure and blamed Obama; just like you are inferring.

image.jpeg

Again I ask about what Obama did and you come back with Trump Trump Trump!!!  He had two years after that speech (which again was insightful and spot on) to do something.  Ok he left a blue print. That’s great. What did it say?  What were the steps? 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Again I ask about what Obama did and you come back with Trump Trump Trump!!!  He had two years after that speech (which again was insightful and spot on) to do something.  Ok he left a blue print. That’s great. What did it say?  What were the steps? 

image.thumb.jpeg.330b217caa8108853c6adbab4c8a7fe3.jpeg