The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ha!  For a minute there I thought this said we had "power tools" trained on the virus!  I knew all those years I spent messing with my dad's table saw were one day going to come in handy.

Yeah, but you'll never get those two fingers back will ya? 

33 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Go Chuck go!

Government is great!  We need them to guide us through the darkness

Government is bad!!  They have created the brutal law enforcement system

Government is great!!   They will guide us to rebuild this brutal law enforcement system. 

Make up your damn minds will you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yeah, but you'll never get those two fingers back will ya? 

Government is great!  We need them to guide us through the darkness

Government is bad!!  They have created the brutal law enforcement system

Government is great!!   They will guide us to rebuild this brutal law enforcement system. 

Make up your damn minds will you. 

Oh so testy Jim boi. How’s the kitchen?

Just now, BillStime said:

Oh so testy Jim boi. How’s the kitchen?

Testy??  I'm just pointing out the schizophrenia that the left displays sometimes.  Not sure where you come up with testy.  I said it with a laugh.

Not sure how the kitchen is.  Shall I call my wife and ask her?  Is it on fire?  I'm worried now..... 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

We know a lot more than we did when this all started. You have to look deeper inside the numbers. In California, for example, the higher infection counts are almost all coming out of Los Angeles County. If you know anything about Southern California, you know that there are five contiguous counties that make up the greater LA Area.  These counties are all butted up against each other and people travel between three or four of them each day just going to work.  It seems like the higher LA counts are due as much to increased testing as they are to a spread of a killer virus.

At the same time there is not currently, and has never been, ANY significant infections in the other major California metro areas of San Francisco/Oakland, Sacramento or San Diego. 

This is true, but it's mostly been confined to urban centres across the country because that's where the population is most dense. I agree that measures should be different from area to area and not necessary blanket rules for entire states. 

The stock market crashing today suggests there's real worry about a second wave coming which would be absolutely devastating to the economy. This thing moves like a train and if things break through and it looks like new cases are starting to get out of hand in California, Texas and Florida.

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

This is true, but it's mostly been confined to urban centres across the country because that's where the population is most dense. I agree that measures should be different from area to area and not necessary blanket rules for entire states. 

The stock market crashing today suggests there's real worry about a second wave coming which would be absolutely devastating to the economy. This thing moves like a train and if things break through and it looks like new cases are starting to get out of hand in California, Texas and Florida.

The stock market doesn’t tell you anything, especially not in one day. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

They had to move it. I don't think they've landed on a new location yet. 

I saw talk of several locations (Several smaller conventions), but also Texas has welcomed them with open arms. I think they would prefer a “swing” state, but right now they probably have limited options.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I saw talk of several locations (Several smaller conventions), but also Texas has welcomed them with open arms. I think they would prefer a “swing” state, but right now they probably have limited options.

I would not be surprised if it was Florida,

Or even......................................in N.C. as originally planned.

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

He's a lefty.

I've seen these reports as "2nd wave."

Do people not understand its basically hitting the states it hasn't really hit yet right now.  Specifically California, Arizona, North Carolina, and Texas.

The data said they never had a first wave.  

New cases does not mean today what it meant in March when we had no real idea who was most at risk. 

These "new cases" reports must include context now--- Hospitalizations, percent positive, ICUs, and deaths.  And confirm any surges or hospitals overwhelmed.  If those numbers are stable then there is no need to do anything different but stay the course. 

And I know someone is going to post increases in Arizona in hospitalizations.  Everyone is watching Arizona (like they did Florida spring breakers and Ozark pool parties).  I've seen the numbers.  77% capacity is normal.  And 30 percent are Covid related.  No one was going to hospitals 6 weeks ago.  Which explains a lot of those increases.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Do people not understand its basically hitting the states it hasn't really hit yet right now.  Specifically California, Arizona, North Carolina, and Texas.

New cases does not mean today what it meant in March when we had no real idea who was most at risk. 

These "new cases" reports must include context now--- Hospitalizations, percent positive, ICUs, and deaths.  And confirm any surges or hospitals overwhelmed.  If those numbers are stable then there is no need to do anything different but stay the course. 

And I know someone is going to post increases in Arizona in hospitalizations.  Everyone is watching Arizona (like they did Florida spring breakers and Ozark pool parties).  I've seen the numbers.  77% capacity is normal.  And 30 percent are Covid related.  No one was going to hospitals 6 weeks ago.  Which explains a lot of those increases.  

Actually here Albany Med is the powerhouse of healthcare in the Capital District. They are normally at 95-99% capacity, according to the director. To turn a profit, they need to be at 98%. They are openly disregarding Sugar Nipple's edict that hospitals be at 70% of capacity to reopen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

That's been the point we've been making, and why it was irresponsible for the press to report the recent state increases as a second wave.   A plateau is a much better term, but isn't sensationalist enough.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, B-Man said:

“AFTER STATES ROLL BACK LOCKDOWNS” IS THE NARRATIVE, NOT “AFTER MASSIVE PROTESTS VIOLATED SOCIAL DISTANCING RULES.” 

From the A.P. :   Alarming rise in virus cases as states roll back lockdowns.

This is legit one of the funniest things I've ever read in my life...

"The protests were outdoors, which reduces the likelihood of virus spread, and many participants have worn masks and taken other precautions."

What "other precautions?"  Omg

WSJ has the guts to report something many have been saying for months.

How New York’s Coronavirus Response Made the Pandemic Worse

New York leaders faced an unanticipated crisis as the new coronavirus overwhelmed the nation’s largest city. Their response was marred by missed warning signs and policies that many health-care workers say put residents at greater risk and led to unnecessary deaths.

In the first few days of March, Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio assured New Yorkers things were under control. On March 2, Mr. de Blasio tweeted that people should go see a movie.

Only after the disease had gripped the city’s low-income neighborhoods in early March did Gov. Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio mobilize public and private hospitals to create more beds and intensive-care units. The hasty expansion that ensued, led by New York government leaders and hospital administrators, produced mistakes that helped worsen the crisis, health-care workers say.

The Wall Street Journal talked to nearly 90 front-line doctors, nurses, health-care workers, hospital administrators and government officials, and reviewed emails, legal documents and memos, to analyze what went wrong. Among the missteps they identify:

• Improper patient transfers. Some patients were too sick to have been transferred between hospitals. Squabbling between the Cuomo and de Blasio administrations contributed to an uncoordinated effort.

• Insufficient isolation protocols. Hospitals often mixed infected patients with the uninfected early on, and the virus spread to non-Covid-19 units.

• Inadequate staff planning. Hospitals added hundreds of intensive-care beds but not always enough trained staff, leading to improper treatments and overlooked patients dying alone.

• Mixed messages. State, city government and hospital officials kept shifting guidelines about when exposed and ill front-line workers should return to work.

• Overreliance on government sources for key equipment. Hospitals turned to the state and federal government for hundreds of ventilators, but many were faulty or inadequate.

• Procurement-planning gaps. While leaders focused attention on procuring ventilators, hospitals didn’t always provide for adequate supplies of critical resources including oxygen, vital-signs monitors and dialysis machines.

• Incomplete staff-protection policies. Many hospitals provided staff with insufficient protective equipment and testing.

• Thank you (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Magox said:

That truly was an exhaustive and devastating investigative account. @plenzmd1 You May find this interesting.

Lots of things in there that were new to me.

It was so painful to read that.  NY repeated all of Italy's mistakes.  

That should have been a top story across the US today.   

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 1

Yesterday, Thursday, not a single state registered triple digit Covid 19 deaths....and 40 states were at twenty five or below and as has been customary approximately 10 of those states had zero. I continue to maintain that deaths is all that really matters, and they’re on a steady decline and have been for well over a month. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, GG said:

It was so painful to read that.  NY repeated all of Italy's mistakes.  

That should have been a top story across the US today.   

what if they weren't "mistakes"

sounds more like planned incompetence to maximize fear and death in 2 very specific locations 

which could then be used to dictate  global policy

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, spartacus said:

sounds more like planned incompetence to maximize fear and death in 2 very specific locations 

That's a bridge too far.

What happened is plain old fashioned incompetence, perpetrated by perpetually incompetent officials who will never be held to account because their intentions are "good" and more importantly, they look and sound good on TV.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, spartacus said:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I

I would love to see those numbers ..do you have a link or remember where you saw them?

1 hour ago, GG said:

That's a bridge too far.

What happened is plain old fashioned incompetence, perpetrated by perpetually incompetent officials who will never be held to account because their intentions are "good" and more importantly, they look and sound good on TV.

man, is Cuomo ever getting that love. How i have grown to really dislike that dude. 

In more news of insanity, daughter just recieved an email fro the president of her school...small liberal arts school in Ohio ..Denison University.

Schools opening up two weeks earlier, going through Thanksgiving, not back to mid January. OKay, i can understand that reasoning...think it too early to make the call of 2nd wave quite yet...but I get it.

What i don't get is dining halls will all be closed, take out only. Mind you, Denison is 100% on campus living, and only a portion of seniors actually have "apartment" style dorms with a small kitchen in them. 90% of students in traditional dorm rooms. WTF? 

Even better..all classes are to held outside whenever possible? My daughter is in a science based major...2 labs scheduled for this fall...how in the hell is that gunna work. 

Cant wait to to see how they enforce parties. No off campus housing, no real bars in town... parties in dorms is the social gatherings they do...they shut that down what is the point to going to school?

All this and the overwhelming numbers show almost zero risk to college age kids

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I would love to see those numbers ..do you have a link or remember where you saw them?

man, is Cuomo ever getting that love. How i have grown to really dislike that dude. 

In more news of insanity, daughter just recieved an email fro the president of her school...small liberal arts school in Ohio ..Denison University.

Schools opening up two weeks earlier, going through Thanksgiving, not back to mid January. OKay, i can understand that reasoning...think it too early to make the call of 2nd wave quite yet...but I get it.

What i don't get is dining halls will all be closed, take out only. Mind you, Denison is 100% on campus living, and only a portion of seniors actually have "apartment" style dorms with a small kitchen in them. 90% of students in traditional dorm rooms. WTF? 

Even better..all classes are to held outside whenever possible? My daughter is in a science based major...2 labs scheduled for this fall...how in the hell is that gunna work. 

Cant wait to to see how they enforce parties. No off campus housing, no real bars in town... parties in dorms is the social gatherings they do...they shut that down what is the point to going to school?

All this and the overwhelming numbers show almost zero risk to college age kids

Dude. It’s practically Ebola. Keep up. If they don’t do these little things, everyone will die. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Hey now Nate Silver confirming what I said yesterday:

Right.

Just think the Chinese virus slow to start building up. But middle to high cases picks up speed quick.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/fauci-says-asymptomatic-coronavirus-transmission-is-possible-following-who-statement-that-was-not-correct

Fauci says asymptomatic coronavirus transmission is possible following WHO confusion

By Madeline Farber | Fox News

Facebook

Twitter

Flipboard

Comments

Print

Email

Fox News Flash top headlines for June 10

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com.

A statement from a World Health Organization (WHO) official this week about coronavirus transmission by asymptomatic individuals being “very rare” was “not correct,” said America’s leading infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci.

“We know from epidemiological studies they can transmit to someone who is uninfected even when they're without symptoms," Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Wednesday. "So to make a statement to say that's a rare event was not correct."

FAUCI WARNS THAT CORONAVIRUS REOPENINGS 'DOESN’T MEAN ALL BETS ARE OFF'

Fauci’s remarks come after comments made on Monday by Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, a WHO infectious disease epidemiologist, caused mass confusion. At a news briefing, she said that the spread of coronavirus by people not showing symptoms "appears to be rare.”

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing – they are following asymptomatic cases, they are following contacts and they are not finding secondary transmission onward, it’s very rare,” Van Kerkhove said at the time. “Much of that is not published in the literature.”

Video

“We’re constantly looking at this data, and we’re trying to get more information from countries to truly answer this question,” she added. “It still appears to be rare that an asymptomatic individual actually transmits onward.”

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right.

Just think the Chinese virus slow to start building up. But middle to high cases picks up speed quick.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/fauci-says-asymptomatic-coronavirus-transmission-is-possible-following-who-statement-that-was-not-correct

Fauci says asymptomatic coronavirus transmission is possible following WHO confusion

By Madeline Farber | Fox News

Facebook

Twitter

Flipboard

Comments

Print

Email

Fox News Flash top headlines for June 10

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com.

A statement from a World Health Organization (WHO) official this week about coronavirus transmission by asymptomatic individuals being “very rare” was “not correct,” said America’s leading infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci.

“We know from epidemiological studies they can transmit to someone who is uninfected even when they're without symptoms," Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Wednesday. "So to make a statement to say that's a rare event was not correct."

FAUCI WARNS THAT CORONAVIRUS REOPENINGS 'DOESN’T MEAN ALL BETS ARE OFF'

Fauci’s remarks come after comments made on Monday by Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, a WHO infectious disease epidemiologist, caused mass confusion. At a news briefing, she said that the spread of coronavirus by people not showing symptoms "appears to be rare.”

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing – they are following asymptomatic cases, they are following contacts and they are not finding secondary transmission onward, it’s very rare,” Van Kerkhove said at the time. “Much of that is not published in the literature.”

Video

“We’re constantly looking at this data, and we’re trying to get more information from countries to truly answer this question,” she added. “It still appears to be rare that an asymptomatic individual actually transmits onward.”

Try and find this interview from 60 Minutes on March 9th anywhere on the internet 

On YouTube, search "Fauci 60 Minutes March 8 no masks" or something like that; notice the blue information alert fact check screen that comes up at the top.

Edited by Big Blitz

21 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Things getting really bad in Florida for new cases. 

The last three days have been 1371, 1698 and today 1902. 

The trend clearly shows it's going to continue going higher. 

very strange definition of "really bad"

deaths trending down

under 20/ day for last week

sure looks like a crisis

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

over 200,000 tested to NOT have the virus per week 

covid hospital visits continue to decline

no threat of overwhelming health care facilities

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I thought the whole idea was more testing, which would discover more cases as we move toward herd immunity?  I thought overwhelming the hospitals is what would be bad, not necessarily testing positive for COVID-19/antibodies (unless it landed you in  the hospital)?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I thought the whole idea was more testing, which would discover more cases as we move toward herd immunity?  I thought overwhelming the hospitals is what would be bad, not necessarily testing positive for COVID-19/antibodies (unless it landed you in  the hospital)?

That is correct, but there is a concern in AZ & TX about increasing hospitalizations.  However, they seem to be managing it well so far, and most importantly the mortality rate is very low given the cases & hospitalizations.  We're not seeing the ***** show that was you know where.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, GG said:

That is correct, but there is a concern in AZ & TX about increasing hospitalizations.  However, they seem to be managing it well so far, and most importantly the mortality rate is very low given the cases & hospitalizations.  We're not seeing the ***** show that was you know where.

So you're saying we need to move those two ships again?  Not again? I could barely stomach the non-stop coverage of the one slowly creeping into New York harbor.