The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Ok, I had asked and asked about cleaning out the subway, buses, etc and if the press was simply not reporting it. This article was about the homeless taking up residence in the subway since the coronavirus shutdown, and the employees complaining about the conditions. At the end of the article, there is this (no link to MTA, no word on how it is being accomplished or what they are using, simply that it is happening):

</snip>

But employees say the videos prove conditions are still disastrous. They are pushing for more drastic action.

“I think they should shut down at least from like midnight to 5 and clean up the trains, clean up the areas where the employees are. Get it all fresh and ready for the next day of essential workers,” Hicks said.

The MTA said as of now trains are being disinfected every day with the full fleet completed every 72 hours.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ok, I had asked and asked about cleaning out the subway, buses, etc and if the press was simply not reporting it. This article was about the homeless taking up residence in the subway since the coronavirus shutdown, and the employees complaining about the conditions. At the end of the article, there is this (no link to MTA, no word on how it is being accomplished or what they are using, simply that it is happening):

</snip>

But employees say the videos prove conditions are still disastrous. They are pushing for more drastic action.

“I think they should shut down at least from like midnight to 5 and clean up the trains, clean up the areas where the employees are. Get it all fresh and ready for the next day of essential workers,” Hicks said.

The MTA said as of now trains are being disinfected every day with the full fleet completed every 72 hours.

Maybe they should give all those empty beds at the Javits Center to the homeless....

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/10/2020 at 2:40 PM, BullBuchanan said:

That's a completely separate scale. This one is based on values.

Since when is it the government's role to promote a certain set of values versus another set of values?  That's just absurd.

You've been conditioned to believe that there are two choices, republican and democrat and that these choices somehow represent two competing "value systems".  One of these is good and the other is evil, depending on your perspective.  The reality is that this dichotomy is a false one and that both "sides" are fairly similar with very small differences.  The chasm is more perception that reality.  Each side is actually just bringing us further to the side of increased government power and decreasing liberty.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

So much for the tenth amendment and for good reason in this mess. We need a national plan, not regional patchwork crap. 

Most posters here disagree with Trump passionately on this but not me. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

A sailor on USS Roosevelt passed away from Wuhan virus.

What remains a mystery is how the sailors got infected in the first place.  The ship docked in Vietnam on March 5, so that would be a prime suspect.  Yet Vietnam has among the lowest recorded cases in all of Asia.  What are the odds the 3 initial sailors hit the perfect storm of meeting the few people with the virus in Vietnam?   Or is there more to this?

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

So much for the tenth amendment and for good reason in this mess. We need a national plan, not regional patchwork crap. 

Regional differences must be taken into account, though. WNY just isn’t NYC for a lot of reasons. That’s a special case and needs special restrictions for a longer period of time. 

10 minutes ago, GG said:

What remains a mystery is how the sailors got infected in the first place.  The ship docked in Vietnam on March 5, so that would be a prime suspect.  Yet Vietnam has among the lowest recorded cases in all of Asia.  What are the odds the 3 initial sailors hit the perfect storm of meeting the few people with the virus in Vietnam?   Or is there more to this?

Ahem...shore leave.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GG said:

I wonder whats the testing numbers there.

Russia starting or been new cases higher lately. I wonder President Trump talked to Putlin about testing. Now there like 3rd in testing behind USA and Germany.

Just thinking if could be a factor.

11 minutes ago, GG said:

The odds are extremely unlikely and it is more than coincidence that the TR is a focal point of US power in the region.  Thanks for bringing this up as I have been pondering this as well for the past week.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Do you remember the Salena ZIto article on Trump back in 2016, the Taking Trump Seriously, but not literally ?

I openly admit that I used to be one of those people just like the media.  I used to rant constantly about all the crap that came out of Trump's mouth, because if you take him literally, lots of things that come out of his mouth are simply not true.   But after a while,  I began to understand his allure.  It's not my sort of person, personally I like straight shooters and he's not one of those kind of guys.  But, I began to see that in his underlying message of what he was saying did make sense.   In other words, if you can get by the clutter of the distractions of lots of his words and focus on the underlying message, you'd see there are actually lots of solid things that are being promoted.    

The media to this day continues to keep chasing the minutia of his words.  

Just sort of reminded me of your response to GB.  You can't take much of what Trump says literally, but you should be able to take what Dr. Fauci says literally.  He's not a Trump sort of guy and what he says should be taken literally.

Words are important - especially the words of the leader of the free world during a worldwide crisis.  People want and need a clear, consistent and honest message from the top right now.  I'll agree with you that it doesn't necessarily matter so much during normal times, but these are not normal times.  I'd like to see him step up be the leader the people need.  Anything less is simply below the bar.

13 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Most posters here disagree with Trump passionately on this but not me. 

I'm one of them.

The only way that Trump can do as he said in the tweet is if he exerts himself over each governors decision.  He didn't do it for the shut down and I don't believe he would do it for them to lift their stay-at-home orders, unless he believed that they should be.  

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever to have the same policy in New York as North Dakota.  

Just now, Gene Frenkle said:

Words are important - especially the words of the leader of the free world during a worldwide crisis.  People want and need a clear, consistent and honest message from the top right now.  I'll agree with you that it doesn't necessarily matter so much during normal times, but these are not normal times.  I'd like to see him step up be the leader the people need.  Anything less is simply below the bar.

It's not my preference, at all.  I wish he would be more of a straight shooter and it certainly works against him in some aspects.   With that said, speaking for myself of course, I judge people more so based off of their actions over their words.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Regional differences must be taken into account, though. WNY just isn’t NYC for a lot of reasons. That’s a special case and needs special restrictions for a longer period of time. 

100% agreed. NYC Metro is still 50% of the US cases and deaths. It's not like anyplace. 

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

I'm one of them.

The only way that Trump can do as he said in the tweet is if he exerts himself over each governors decision.  He didn't do it for the shut down and I don't believe he would do it for them to lift their stay-at-home orders, unless he believed that they should be.  

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever to have the same policy in New York as North Dakota.  

I think he's saying the federal government would control the process. I don't think the government would have a one size fits all plan for 50 states. It would just control the process, as it should to make reopening work. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

So you’d prefer the incoherent babbling coming from Joe’s basement...or the endless whining for unnecessary ventilators from the Governor of NY?  Do you have another nominee for the job?

19 minutes ago, GG said:

Not sure what you’re getting at, but recently I’ve been exposed to some anti-vaxer conspiracy theories about 5G networks. 

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

100% agreed. NYC Metro is still 50% of the US cases and deaths. It's not like anyplace. 

I don't think he would. I think he's saying the federal government would control the process, not each state/city. 

Truth be told, I think this is his narcissism speaking.   He wants to be the one who calls the shots in making this decision.  But it's not his decision, I mean it could be if he exerted himself.  But even then you can't compel companies to open up or for that matter employees to show up for work.

I am fairly certain that it will be what I have been saying for a while.  Federal Government will provide guidelines on opening up the workforce and each state will be on their own timeline.  If he thought that a state was not going along with the program, maybe in that circumstance he would exert himself.  I think that is politically fraught with danger. 

Then again, it's hard to understand Trump's political calculations and often times his unconventional way of doing things works for him.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you’d prefer the incoherent babbling coming from Joe’s basement...or the endless whining for unnecessary ventilators from the Governor of NY?  Do you have another nominee for the job?

I don't recall saying that and I don't know what Biden would do.  What I would like, and I don't think it's too much to ask, is a competent and honest leader with a plan to get the country through a tough time.  I'm critiquing the job that's being done as opposed to hypothesizing about how someone else might do it.