Week 16: Bills at Patriots***(*), 4:30 pm on NFLN, Postgame

9 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Looking for any positives, the punting has really been better the last few weeks. 

His last punt today though wasn't that good.  Only 35 yards.  Generally I agree with you.  He's been better.  Really nice game against Dallas.

8 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

You sure that you know what "%" means?

I'm obviously not using exact math. And I'm actually an Allen beliver, I'm just saying without his 2 big throws and that last drive, he had a bad night. Without the bomb to Knox I think the first half might have been his worst this season.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Good coaches make adjustments in-game. Allen was once again hot in the 4th quarter. He missed one throw in the endzone and it would have been a tough one. Other than that we were moving the ball when we passed. Daboll doesn't know when to abandon his game plan. I'm not saying I want him fired or anything, I like his scheme, but he needs to open up the offense in the playoffs. You can NEVER call 3 straight run plays with a 4 point lead against a playoff team. Playing to lose.

But they do this every game.  It's like things that worked, like passing on first and second down, made the coaches feel guilty and they don't go back to it.  And then there's something called the screen pass.  The coaches should look it up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

He was absolutely a problem, too many 1st down runs up the middle and a terrible 1st down call first and goal, he’s too inconsistent.

I think part of JA’s issues consistency wise have to do with Daboll’s inconsistent play calling.  there is no offensive rhythm.  

Hope the cheats get anyone but us in the playoffs. They’d love that. Any of the other teams in the playoffs can beat them (except maybe Pittsburgh if they make it). They’d love to draw us. That’s the only team I don’t want to play. They own our mental real estate. 

Edited by TheProcess

4 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

The Pats FG drive made it 10 - 3 and chewed up about 9 minutes of game time.  Defense looked worn down on the last TD drive of game.  Poor tackling at times and Michel gashed them pretty good.

Defense had the Pats* in 3rd and short all game. That’s on them. Not a recipe for success. They bit on run fakes and took poor angles , arm tackles. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I don’t really buy into the moral victories here, this is not a great Patriots team. 

McD falls to 0-6 vs the Pats and this was the 2nd game this year that Josh couldn’t make the big plays to beat the Pats.

Right now it looks like we’re a small-time team with a small-time QB and coach that can beat bad teams but can’t get the big W’s vs the good ones. 

Thanks for your insightful input. No really, I'm not being sarcastic at all.

2 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

You do realize the offense is supposed to score points, right?   

Overthrows, bad throws, and bad sacks have nothing to do with the defense. 

How many points is the defense supposed to hold playoff teams to week after week? 

We are 28th passing in the league, we have a bottom ranked Qb and people have the audacity to blame the defense that carried tjis team all season.   Un-be-lievable. 

Less than we score...isn't that kind of obvious.

Pats were more physical. Bills tackling sucked. Hated the ultra conservative gameplan. Daboll or McCoach? Singletary has shown that he's capable (and potentially dangerous) receiving out of the backfield. 

On a positive note my sense of it is that this was another useful learning experience for Allen. He overthrew a few but he also connected on a few, two beautiful throws (smoke and Knox TDs). Not long ago he was overthrowing all of them. So he's starting to settle down I think. If we play NE again in the playoffs, a better effort on both sides of the ball, but within what the Bills are capable of, and I like their chances.

If we are locked into the #5 seed I'd like to see Yeldon and Williams before it's over.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GG said:

That assumes that the cheater wouldn't adjust either.  At the end of the day, it's a player match up, and Allen isn't yet ready to beat Bellihick

Allen was terrible for the first 29 minutes and 30 seconds of the game. In the 2nd half I put our offensive struggles on Daboll. The run game wasn't working today. Where are the swing passes to the running backs? Comebacks? Slants? That's how you beat an aggressive defense. We ran it into their teeth over and over again. Mind numbing stuff.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Runs were called because Allen was ineffective for 85% of the game.   They leaned on the run because they had to. 

They only ran 49 plays, 26 passes and 23 runs. I don't consider that leaning on the run, just inefficient offense in both phases. Patriots had the ball for most of the game, 39 min to 21 min is a huge discrepancy.

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

You can, but not when the defense plays without fundamentals or pass rush , and gets rolled on for 400+ yards. The Bills don’t have the offensive personnel yet to consistently score more vs a top defense. 

That was probably our worst defensive performance of the year and it could not have come at a worse time.  NE was better on both sides of the ball.  

I have no idea how we were in a position to tie it at the end.  Josh made some phenomenal throws on that last drive.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Man what a 6’4 receiver what have meant on that final play ahh

THIS!

Smurfs won’t do... ever!

A very good Bills team against a good Cheatriots team! Same old Millennium story. Couldn't hold them off and then, couldn’t close! 

For us ya,bless, they ALWAYS have to add insult to injury, by giving up the easy 2 Pointer, to lose by -1/2! 

When will it ever end??

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Allen was terrible for the first 29 minutes and 30 seconds of the game. In the 2nd half I put our offensive struggles on Daboll. The run game wasn't working today. Where are the swing passes to the running backs? Comebacks? Slants? That's how you beat an aggressive defense. We ran it into their teeth over and over again. Mind numbing stuff.

perfect analysis of the offensive struggles today, IMO.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Turk71 said:

They only ran 49 plays, 26 passes and 23 runs. I don't consider that leaning on the run, just inefficient offense in both phases. Patriots had the ball for most of the game, 39 min to 21 min is a huge discrepancy.

Difference was on first down.  NE had second and short routinely while the Bills were the polar opposite.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Right, they were on the field because of 3 and outs.... had nothing to do with the long, sustained drives the Pat's put on them. 

We touched the ball what 3 times in the first half, why because the defense allowed a 12 play drive and numerous other long drives 

You can be mad at the O but the D had just as much to do with this loss 

I agree.  After forcing the fumble on the 1st drive our  D gave up a 7:30, 75 yard TD drive.  The offense then moved the ball for 2 first downs and stalled at midfield.  The Bills then punted the ball to the Pats 1 yard line.  The Pats the went on an 8:30, 80 yard FG drive. 

So after forcing the fumble and well before they should have been tired, the D gave up 2 drives that chewed up 16 minutes of the game and scored 10 points. 

Our D started off playing poorly and I would submit that the D's poor performance contributed to the Offenses 1st half struggles as they were unable to get into a rhythm with the D unable to get NE off the field.

• Like (+1) 2