Pro Bowl selections announced - congrats to Tre White on 1st time selection

YoloinOhio

29 minutes ago, MJS said:

Milano should at least be an alternate.

I love Milano and if he had played the whole season the way he has played since week 8 or 9 then he would be in. But he had a slow start by his own standards. I don't think he fully trusted his body post injury and that is normal. But he was definitely half a step off in those early weeks. 

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I love Milano and if he had played the whole season the way he has played since week 8 or 9 then he would be in. But he had a slow start by his own standards. I don't think he fully trusted his body post injury and that is normal. But he was definitely half a step off in those early weeks. 

I disagree. He played very well all season except for the one game back right after his injury. I've seen these claims about him having a slow start and I never saw that myself. He looked great to me except that first game back.

8 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

Cool.

The Bills were hurt this year by their easy schedule early. Nobody was sure if they were really good or just looking good against bad competition.

Now, beating Dallas and the Steelers makes them seem like they're for real, but it's too late for a lot of votes.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I disagree. He played very well all season except for the one game back right after his injury. I've seen these claims about him having a slow start and I never saw that myself. He looked great to me except that first game back.

Hmm. To me he was noticeably not himself early on.

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is a fan vote but as I understand it that’s a small part of the outcome 

It's 1/3, unfortunately

I bet players vote pretty similarly to fans though.

8 hours ago, DCOrange said:

The Pro Bowl doesn't really matter, so not worth getting too upset. But like Gunner said, I honestly don't think it's all that wrong that Buffalo only had one pro bowler. You could make a case for some other guys (particularly Brown in my opinion), but this is more of a team of solid players rather than a bunch of great players carrying the team.

I'm really curious about the underlying numbers for Phillips. Obviously the sack numbers are great, but for example, he's not among the best DTs in terms of pass-rush win rate (which, ironically, Oliver is), and PFF rates him very low. PFF probably rates him far too low, but they don't just make the stuff up; I'd be really curious why they think so little of his play.

Totally a guess on my part, but I'm kinda wondering if Phillips' sacks are mainly seen as coverage sacks or plays where we get pressure off the edge that forces the QB to step up into Phillips rather than Phillips breaking through to the QB himself.

Edit: Not the complete answer I was looking for, but I saw a tweet from this morning that Phillips has 22 pressures this season; that's probably not even top 5 on the Bills. I know Hughes was past that a month ago and 3 or 4 others were right around there too.

He's been awesome this year. Could probably make a case for a different corner to be in his place, but he isn't a bad choice by any means (like Pouncey for example).

Pouncey is rated #36 of 36 centers on PFF and made the Pro Bowl.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

22 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's 1/3, unfortunately

I bet players vote pretty similarly to fans though.

Pouncey is rated #36 of 36 centers on PFF and made the Pro Bowl.

Yeah there’s some really egregious ones that made it too. Brees making it over Dak while missing 1/3 of the season is insane too. Likewise with Jalen Ramsey. 

Having only Tre selected is perfect for this team -- it actually reinforces McD's message and gives the team yet another chip on their shoulders heading into Foxboro and the playoffs.

That said -- congrats to the Tre White Goalie Academy graduate.  He deserves every accolade he receives.

6 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Josh Allen is the third alternate for the Pro Bowl... who is first and second?

3 spots in the Pro Bowl:

1) Lamar Jackson

2) Pat Mahomes

3) Deshaun Watson

Obviously, I would love if Josh couldnʻt play because of being in the Super Bowl but if the Ravens, Chiefs or Texans make it, that would open one spot. If Lamar wins the MVP and the Ravens are not in the Super Bowl I could see him bailing out, which would leave another open spot.

Question is... who is in front of Josh?!?!?!?!

Not saying it lines up perfectly with the votes, but here's how the AFC QBs rank in my ratings sheet:

1. Lamar Jackson (1)

2. Pat Mahomes (3)

3. Deshaun Watson (6)

4. Ryan Tannehill (7)

5. Tom Brady (10)

6. Josh Allen (14)

7. Derek Carr (17)

8. Jacoby Brissett (18)

That's enough for 3 plus 5 alternates. The top 3 and Allen wound up correct!

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

On GMFB, Nate “Pats Ball Washer” Burleson just said that other than Gilmore, the Cowboys haven’t had a game with an elite CB shutting down their receivers, especially Cooper.

Sometimes Nate makes me wonder ...  I have seen him praise the Bills 

6 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

On GMFB, Nate “Pats Ball Washer” Burleson just said that other than Gilmore, the Cowboys haven’t had a game with an elite CB shutting down their receivers, especially Cooper.

Nate doesn't really ever know what he is talking about. He just spouts off stuff. He kind of rides the wave, but I doubt he does much homework.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Brees over Dak is insane??

Yes, extremely. Dak has nearly twice as many yards as Brees this year. Not that yards are the end all be all, but it shows just how much Brees has missed; guys like Brees and Tyreek Hill should not have been given any consideration at all.

Edited by DCOrange

i do believe this settles the bet between @transplantbillsfan and myself.

https://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn/status/1207103855529537536

for a period of one year, you can make no prognostications of any sort. i have no desire to muzzle you, that is/was not my intent. statements such as, 'I think we win' or even, 'I have a good feeling about this game' and the like are completely okay. to get technical about it, you can probably say anything you want as long as you word it the right way. however,  i am not going to stalk you to make sure you abide by the outline of the bet,  i just expect you to be true to the nature of it. 

i had really wished i lost the bet because, well... Go Buffalo!

cheers

:beer:

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Foxx said:

i do believe this settles the bet between @transplantbillsfan and myself.

https://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn/status/1207103855529537536

for a period of one year, you can make no prognostications of any sort. i have no desire to muzzle you, that is/was not my intent. statements such as, 'I think we win' or even, 'I have a good feeling about this game' and the like are completely okay. to get technical about it, you can probably say anything you want as long as you word it the right way. however,  i am not going to stalk you to make sure you abide by the outline of the bet,  i just expect you to be true to the nature of it. 

i had really wished i lost the bet because, well... Go Buffalo!

cheers

:beer:

All good. I was going to send you a congrats. I will also be donating to a charity once I get word of which one.

All good.

At a time when we've clinched a playoff spot with 2 games remaining, this is minor. :beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1