Patriots releasing Jared Veldheer, OT. With Nsekhe injury could help Bills depth

MAJBobby

24 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

So why do you think they did this?  They would do nothing that would help a rival without a return.

he is healthy. So instead of making a roster move on their 53 they don’t want to make they have to release him

31 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Are u a Pats fan?

nope

Veldheer probably found out being on NFI list does not qualify for a ring and looks like P*ts are not getting one this year anyway.

Now that knows who the players are he is saying he is fit enough to play and if they do not want to release someone else Boston's team needs to release him.

Will a team just claim him (assuming it still applies even if it is NFI list) just to prevent him from going to a team he wants to go?

Team Contract Type Status Year Signed Yrs Total APY Guarantees Amount Earned % Earned Effective APY
Raiders Drafted Expired 2010 4 $2,685,000 $671,250 $895,000 $3,528,000 131.4% $882,000
 Cardinals  UFA Traded 2014 5 $35,000,000 $7,000,000 $10,500,000 $29,156,250 83.3% $7,289,063
 Broncos  UFA Expired 2014 5 $35,000,000 $7,000,000 $10,500,000 $7,000,000 20.0% $7,000,000
 Patriots  SFA Reserve 2019 1 $3,500,000 $3,500,000 $1,250,000 $0 0.0% $0

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/26/patriots-releasing-jared-veldheer-from-reserve-retired/

Jared Veldheer said in May his body wasn’t up to the pounding of a full season. Part of a season might be a different matter.

15 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

So why do you think they did this?  They would do nothing that would help a rival without a return.

I'm not certain I understand NFL retirement rules, but I think it goes like this:

1) a player tells a team he wishes to retire and files the papers with the league and the NFLPA

2) the team places him on their reserve/retired list and he doesn't count against their roster

3) if, at a later time the player says "OK, I want to get back in the game, I'm un-retireing" the team he retired from has first call on his services (so that retirement can not be used as a strategy to get out of a contract and change teams)

4) at that point, that team the player retired from has to make a decision, either to restore him to the active roster and resume his contract, or release him

8 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Their offensive line is bad. If he was the weak link on that line, I'll pass.

Negative, he's been on their retired/reserve list, hasn't been playing

My personal feeling is: this falls into the category of what Marv Levy used to say, if a coach is thinking he'll retire in 2 years he's actually already retired, he just doesn't admit it.  If the guy felt his body wasn't up to the pounding of a season last May, what's changed?  If he wasn't enough in love with the game to give it 100% for as long as he could in September, what's changed?

10 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Was this week. However been talked into keeping it until our winning streak ends

We appreciate your service in taking one for the team here.

Memo to self: do not make bets with TBDians

56 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Their offensive line is bad. If he was the weak link on that line, I'll pass.

He wasn't, he retired earlier this season but now wants to play again yet the Patriots elected to release him then make him part of the active roster which says something. I'd kick the tires but doubt he'd sign as he not flexible to play other positions.