SI feature on Gilmore-Bills coaching/prep during his time here don't come across well

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I wish we could just acknowledge that in their fervor to "right the ship" and with a lame duck GM that he did not trust, McDermott undervalued and let some talented players walk (and passed up some shots in the draft) that would be contributing well to our team.  Gilmore would be one.  Robert Woods would be another.  And in hindsight, we could have managed to keep both of them.

I won't argue with Woods, and I'm not entirely sure about Gilmore, but doesn't the article above demonstrate that he wasn't a scheme fit for McD? And while I am sure, had we known then what he would become, we could have adjusted the scheme for him, at the time he it seemed like a risk to shell out for him if he wasn't a good fit. Not to mention, didn't it seem unlikely that he would stay here anyways?

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That was one of the plays the fans overreacted on. He was supposed to have over the top support on that play. He turned around not to deflect blame but more to wonder why the defense called wasn't followed and how that happened.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yup. It came out clear after the game that it was not his fault. He never would have ran the way he did if he was one on one with Hogan.

Sorry, Kelly, but there is no putting a happy face on that sorry display by Gilmore on that play. For crissakes, Hogan wasn’t even in the end zone when Gilmore began pointing fingers.

Most knowledgeable fans knew it wasn’t his fault given the coverage they were in. It was obviously a blown coverage by his safety. But you simply can’t start pointing fingers while the play is still in progress. The right thing to do is discuss it on the sidelines afterwards. I don’t care how frustrated a player is, it’s a bad look and reflects poorly on the player. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Sorry, Kelly, but there is no putting a happy face on that sorry display by Gilmore on that play. For crissakes, Hogan wasn’t even in the end zone when Gilmore began pointing fingers.

Most knowledgeable fans knew it wasn’t his fault given the coverage they were in. It was obviously a blown coverage by his safety. But you simply can’t start pointing fingers while the play is still in progress. The right thing to do is discuss it on the sidelines afterwards. I don’t care how frustrated a player is, it’s a bad look and reflects poorly on the player. 

I will give you that, and that it was a bad look, and there should not be any of that on the field. I was only talking about him being perceived as a lousy or even overrated CB, and that fans use that play as evidence that he wasn't good or that he gave up and could have stopped it. None of that was true. He couldn't have stopped Hogan by that time. Bad look, not bad play or player.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah ... In Buffalo he got flagged a lot for holding or pass interference. In New England he plays the same but doesn't get called.

If he got traded to Cincinnati or most teams, he'd go back to being a oft flagged CB, he'd become the CB version of Lee Smith, flagged enough to create a yellow clothing line.

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Does Gilmore say anything about seeing the opposition gameplan before the game? Any videos of other team practices? Listening in on opponents headsets?  Just curious.

Do you need some cheese to go with that whine? I am so sick of listening to cry babies who don’t get their participation trophies. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

He was.

Part of that was because Rex so badly mis-used him. That said, it was pretty clear in his final season here that he knew he was going to be playing elsewhere and was looking for a big payday, so (whether consciously or not) he went out of his way to avoid contact/injury during that final season as a Bill.

Rex Ryan badly miss-used almost every defensive player in Buffalo. He had pro bowlers in Mario Williams and Marcel Dareus openly complaining about his scheme. That just goes to show that improper coaching can ruin a player.

We also know that the reason Belichick is so darn good is because he is so darn prepared because he watches so much film on every opponent and he takes no team lightly. 

In regards to Gilmore, some great players can get by without elite coaching and with others it takes them to the top of their game. Lawrence Taylor would have been great despite playing for Rex Ryan as was Revis. 

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He had similar issues his first year in NE. He looked lost and useless, so BB say him 2 games for a “Hamstring” issue and when he came back he was lights out. I don’t know what they did those two weeks but since then he has gotten better each week.  I’m shocked he had do Film study on his own that seems odd.. I mean they do film study as a group (FB etc) at my old HS I’d think Pros would too.. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Here we go

Yep.

He had some injuries he worked through and I do not doubt he was frustrated by some lack of positional coaching.

His body language the last few seasons in B-lo said I am done here.

I don't have much in the way of sour grapes. They (NE) are a well-coached team with years of consistency as an organization. By comparison the Bills' org was a circus show for decades.

Change of scenery was needed and worked for him.

Hopefully the Bills will become that stable organization that develops good players who are able to grow and elevate their game.

14 minutes ago, iinii said:

Do you need some cheese to go with that whine? I am so sick of listening to cry babies who don’t get their participation trophies. 

The solution to crybabies...is ALWAYS...to cry about it. That way we have twice as many crybabies.

• Like (+1) 1