The Duke Williams Bandwagon Post

ChicagoRic

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Duke Imo isn't an every down reciever. He's a package reciever and a red zone threat. I'll take it though. Get the man in uniform 

I think Cover_1 highlighted some excellent run blocking on his part during the preseason.

That seems to be about the only reason we're keeping Zay right now.

If Duke can run block nearly as well as Zay, he can be an every down receiver.

14 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Every year a bunch of people  fall in love with some practice squad guy over 2 or 3 preseason plays then puzzle that front office doesn’t elevate them to starting WR.

last year Robert Foster was an obvious elite #1, the second coming of AJG and Julio combined. 

Weird failure in logic here using Robert Foster as your 1st example.

Foster wasn't good last preseason.

He earned the adulation you reference above because of meaningful regular season games.  Who knows what's going on this year, but what he did in terms of play on the field was during the regular season.

14 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Year before that Brandon Reily was the next jordy Nelson.   

DaRick Rodgers was going to make the lions forget Calvin Johnson existed. 

Im pretty sure there was a heathy group of people that wanted all the other RBs gone for the rugby player. Why- because he made a play in preseason. 

Do the math. Zay Jones is the worst WR on the planet according a flock here...  he can’t catch, run routes, get open or run at all... but yet legendary CFL guy is at least three notches lower depth chart. Imagine how much worse he must be that he can’t beat crappy ZJ? 

Great, so you acknowledge Zay can't catch, run routes, get open or run at all.

So basically, there is absolutely no harm whatsoever in cutting him and seeing if Duke is better.  Thanks for that :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Every year a bunch of people  fall in love with some practice squad guy over 2 or 3 preseason plays then puzzle that front office doesn’t elevate them to starting WR.

last year Robert Foster was an obvious elite #1, the second coming of AJG and Julio combined. 

Year before that Brandon Reily was the next jordy Nelson.   

DaRick Rodgers was going to make the lions forget Calvin Johnson existed. 

Im pretty sure there was a heathy group of people that wanted all the other RBs gone for the rugby player. Why- because he made a play in preseason. 

Do the math. Zay Jones is the worst WR on the planet according a flock here...  he can’t catch, run routes, get open or run at all... but yet legendary CFL guy is at least three notches lower depth chart. Imagine how much worse he must be that he can’t beat crappy ZJ? 

Or are people just saying the entire bills organization is a bunch or morons and don’t realize they have Eric Moulds on the practice squad while they’re starting James Hardy? 

I see you avoided answering my question.  Ironically, you mention Foster.  You have some poor recollection though:

1. He was not a guy people on the board were calling for when he was on the PS.  In fact, I was one of VERY few people who thought he would make the active 53 (which he originally did) and only a small number of us even still thought he had upside when he was put on the PS.  So he is not a good example of "people falling in love with a guy on the PS".
  2. Our WR's were not getting the job done and we cut 2 and brought up Foster and McKenzie.  Instantly our passing game improved, literally instantly.  
  3. Foster went on to lead our team in receiving yards by a wide margin over the 7 games he was activated up from the PS, including 3 100 yard games.  

You also just generally seem to undervalue the PS and UDFA's even though nearly half of the NFL is made up of players who entered the NFL this way.  Its not easy to make a PS, teams keep guys there for a reason and try and develop them more.  

So sorry, I dont think you have a good take on this.  No one is saying he is the next Cris Carter, but our 3 other WRs of Zay, Foster, and McKenzie have 10 catches and 118 yards COMBINED through 4 games. So I find it interesting that even though our most effective WR in the 2nd half of the season was activated off our PS, that you seem to think Duke cant exceed that pitiful production.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I see you avoided answering my question.  Ironically, you mention Foster.  You have some poor recollection though:

1. He was not a guy people on the board were calling for when he was on the PS.  In fact, I was one of VERY few people who thought he would make the active 53 (which he originally did) and only a small number of us even still thought he had upside when he was put on the PS.  So he is not a good example of "people falling in love with a guy on the PS".
  2. Our WR's were not getting the job done and we cut 2 and brought up Foster and McKenzie.  Instantly our passing game improved, literally instantly.  
  3. Foster went on to lead our team in receiving yards by a wide margin over the 7 games he was activated up from the PS, including 3 100 yard games.  

You also just generally seem to undervalue the PS and UDFA's even though nearly half of the NFL is made up of players who entered the NFL this way.  Its not easy to make a PS, teams keep guys there for a reason and try and develop them more.  

So sorry, I dont think you have a good take on this.  No one is saying he is the next Cris Carter, but our 3 other WRs of Zay, Foster, and McKenzie have 10 catches and 118 yards COMBINED through 4 games. So I find it interesting that even though our most effective WR in the 2nd half of the season was activated off our PS, that you seem to think Duke cant exceed that pitiful production.  

Sorry what’s the question - are you calling it now? 

My arguement is simple... if duke is so much better why has he failed to make an nfl roster for three years and how can he not steal the job from someone as aweful as the anti Zay sheep say he is? 

What is it- are the coaches idiots?  

Are they blind? What’s the reason?

Could it be as bad as you all think 11 is, your beloved Duke is even worse? Even slower? Even worse at running routes? Even worse at separating? 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Weird failure in logic here using Robert Foster as your 1st example.

Foster wasn't good last preseason.

He earned the adulation you reference above because of meaningful regular season games.  Who knows what's going on this year, but what he did in terms of play on the field was during the regular season.

Great, so you acknowledge Zay can't catch, run routes, get open or run at all.

So basically, there is absolutely no harm whatsoever in cutting him and seeing if Duke is better.  Thanks for that :thumbsup:

He can block pretty well. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sorry what’s the question - are you calling it now? 

My arguement is simple... if duke is so much better why has he failed to make an nfl roster for three years and how can he not steal the job from someone as aweful as the anti Zay sheep say he is? 

What is it- are the coaches idiots?  

Are they blind? What’s the reason?

Could it be as bad as you all think 11 is, your beloved Duke is even worse? Even slower? Even worse at running routes? Even worse at separating? 

He can block pretty well. 

Why was Foster on the PS last year before we cut KB and Holmes past the halfway mark?  Foster went on to lead the team in receiving once brought up from PS and we cut the dead weight.

Again, your reasoning is just flawed IMO based simply on just last year alone with this very coaching staff and Front Office.

And my questions is simple...THREE WR's have combined for a total 10 rec and 118 yards through 4 games...you dont think Duke is capable of contributing the same or more?  Clearly something is NOT working with the guys we are putting out there beyond Cole and Brown...Duke literally could not produce less, so why not see if the has more chemistry with Allen than the 3 guys who aren't impacting the games yet?

Edited by Alphadawg7

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ok so they are idiots? 

I simply asked you the question. Your entire argument is that the PS players are worse than the guys on the active 53 or they wouldn't be on the PS...that argument was flat out proven wrong last year alone on this very team at this very position.  

So my next question was you don't think Duke is capable of averaging 1 catch for 12 yards per game because that is basically what Zay, Foster, and McKenzie are averaging right now a piece.    

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I simply asked you the question. Your entire argument is that the PS players are worse than the guys on the active 53 or they wouldn't be on the PS...that argument was flat out proven wrong last year alone on this very team at this very position.  

So my next question was you don't think Duke is capable of averaging 1 catch for 12 yards per game because that is basically what Zay, Foster, and McKenzie are averaging right now a piece.    

Maybe in preseason or the cfl

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Maybe in preseason or the cfl

Clearly you refuse to apply any real logic or reason to this discussion.  The fact you think Duke is incapable of averaging 12 yards per game in the NFL is so utterly ridiculous that I can't even bother to continue discussing this with you.  In all honestly, one of the most ridiculous things I have seen yet this week during a time where there is almost a record high of ridiculous threads and comments this week.  

All good, to each their own.  But nothing left to discuss here.  

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Clearly you refuse to apply any real logic or reason to this discussion.  The fact you think Duke is incapable of averaging 12 yards per game in the NFL is so utterly ridiculous that I can't even bother to continue discussing this with you.  In all honestly, one of the most ridiculous things I have seen yet this week during a time where there is almost a record high of ridiculous threads and comments this week.  

All good, to each their own.  But nothing left to discuss here.  

Yep Duke is the new zays not making the roster crusade.  Can’t reason with crusaders. 

Seems like every year we have a practice squad receiver that makes a few plays in the preseason and everyone thinks they will be the next Jerry Rice. This year's installment? Duke Williams!

Let's not forget that he was available for all 31 other teams to claim when we cut him and has continued to be available on the practice squad through 4 weeks. Nobody, apparently, thinks he's good enough to be on their active roster yet.

Hope he pans out and balls out for us, but practice squad receivers don't usually do that. I know they do occasionally, like Foster did for stretches last year, but that's not super common. I don't believe that exchanging him for Zay Jones moves the needle in the NE game. If the coaches thought that (and they see him every single day) he would have been starting.

Let's wait and see what happens, but let's not think that because we saw a couple plays in preseason that we know more than the guys who have been evaluating every practice snap.

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yep Duke is the new zays not making the roster crusade.  Can’t reason with crusaders. 

Lol, there it is...I knew that was where you would go...there was no place else for you to go.  Calling it crusade now because I think Duke has something to offer.  You just said you dont believe Duke is capable of 12 yards receiving a game and you think I am on a crusade and I cant be reasoned with?  Hahaha come on man, this is just some funny stuff now.  

All good, to each their own, like I said not much to discuss here anymore.  

I would bring up Duke over Zay Jones and tell him "Duke this is your shot show us the best football you've ever played in your career against the Titans, we're going to start you opposite smoke and throw it your way 8-10 times in the game. If you can hold up your end of the bargain and produce you're starting again after the bye"? 

We don't need to trade for another wide out and waste Beanes prescious draft capital this guy just needs a shot, throw him some deep shots and some redzone work and see if he can change the offense and take the heat off Brown. We want to see someone with hands here he is. Watch his college highlights so I don't have to hear you whine about his running starts in the cfl and him not being able to translate to the NFL. The big thing I see in his college highlights is he caught many poorly placed slightly innacurate balls and always fought to help his qb unlike Zay Jones.  

This kids strengths align with what Allen needs in a Wr at this stage in his growth.

Edited by BillsBlue

Just now, BillsBlue said:

I would bring up Duke over Zay Jones and tell him "Duke this is your shot show us the best football you've ever played in your career against the Titans, we're going to start you opposite smoke and throw it your way 8-10 times in the game. If you can hold up your end of the bargain and produce you're starting again after the bye"? 

We don't need to trade for another wide out and waste Beanes prescious draft capital this guy just needs a shot, throw him some deep shots and some redzone work and see if he can change the offense and take the heat off Brown. We want to see someone with hands here he is. Watch his college highlights so I don't have to hear you whine about his running starts in the cfl and him not being able to translate to the NFL. The big thing I see in his college highlights is he caught many poorly placed slightly innacurate balls and always fought to help his qb unlike Zay Jones. 

well that is not going to happen this week. Otherwise would have already occurred. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pop gun said:

I agree with this. Even if Duke isn't any better the fall off from Zay wouldn't be noticeable and the Bills would just go WR 3/4 shopping next year. WR 3/4 are a dime a dozen.

Honestly I feel Duke could possibly push smoke to #2 and Beasley to #3 in targets/ work load especially inside the 20

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Glad this isn't being talked about anywhere else......

I know it is but I feel it's not getting enough attention we desperately need a big bodied possession type red zone threat/ guy who actually looks behind him to locate the deep ball and adjust and can make 1 handed/contested catches it's obviously what Allen's game needs it aligns with his skill set perfectly Akin to plaxico and young eli

3 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

Honestly I feel Duke could possibly push smoke to #2 and Beasley to #3 in targets/ work load especially inside the 20

I know it is but I feel it's not getting enough attention we desperately need a big bodied possession type red zone threat/ guy who actually looks behind him to locate the deep ball and adjust and can make 1 handed/contested catches it's obviously what Allen's game needs it aligns with his skill set perfectly Akin to plaxico and young eli

WTH?! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsBlue said:

I think it's safe to say everybody, fans, coaches, players, other GMs know what Zay Jones is. 

Right now Duke is an unknown maybe kind of known but nobody knows for sure. IMO he has a much higher ceiling that Zay does. Hoping we get to see for ourselves sooner than later how high that ceiling is. 

I almost get the feeling the Bills are auditioning Zay or don't really know what to do with him. It just seems like a strange situation with Zay and the team/McD/Beane, something seems off or odd.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

I know it's gotten a lot of attention but it needs more attention I feel it's the key to the playoffs and for Josh's development

Well, so long as YOU deem it to needing more attention. Anything else we can do for your m’lord?

1 minute ago, pop gun said:

I think it's safe to say everybody, fans, coaches, players, other GMs know what Zay Jones is. 

Right now Duke is an unknown maybe kind of known but nobody knows for sure. IMO he has a much higher ceiling that Zay does. Hoping we get to see for ourselves sooner than later how high that ceiling is. 

I almost get the feeling the Bills are auditioning Zay or don't really know what to do with him. It just seems like a strange situation with Zay and the team/McD/Beane, something seems off or odd.

If everybody already knows what Zay is, why would they be auditioning him?   The Bills arent using the regular season to showcase a wideout they would be lucky to get a 7th round draft pick for.   There isnt any ploy or 3D Chess going on.  They think Zay is better than Duke right now, and thats the bottom line.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If everybody already knows what Zay is, why would they be auditioning him?   The Bills arent using the regular season to showcase a wideout they would be lucky to get a 7th round draft pick for.   There isnt any ploy or 3D Chess going on.  They think Zay is better than Duke right now, and thats the bottom line.

Wouldn't be so sure about that.

They also thought Peterman was better than Tyrod, AJ and Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Well, so long as YOU deem it to needing more attention. Anything else we can do for your m’lord?

Yes please mail me 2 dozen wings from Duff's extra crispy ,medium, extra blue cheese, also mail me a 6 pack of Logan berry, and can't forget 2 large pepperoni pizzas from La Nova ?

• Haha (+1) 1