Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Of course the Bills team doctors are gonna clear him.  I hope he's really okay.

I think it's safe to say with all three of them clearing this morning that the Bills doctor was the one holding off on their diagnosis and not the INC. 

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

so these Independent Neurologist are going to risk their livelihood and careers to clear a player that isn’t ready just because a Team Dr says too. Comeon 

On 10/2/2019 at 5:33 AM, VW82 said:

The thing with concussions is you never really know. Josh can get cleared by the best neurologists on the planet. It's still an educated guess. Like I said, there's also the added benefit of letting him watch and learn for a week. That was a brutal performance on Sunday and he's struggled at times in the other games too. Maybe sitting out a week will help him learn that every possession counts.  

On 10/2/2019 at 9:17 AM, jkeerie said:

At the very least...assuming Allen is cleared to play late in the week, I would expect Barkley to start and Josh to be the backup.

McDermott disagrees.

37 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

so these Independent Neurologist are going to risk their livelihood and careers to clear a player that isn’t ready just because a Team Dr says too. Comeon 

This Independent Neurologist is paid by whom?  None of us know the details, but never ever underestimate the greed of the NFL or the GM and HC need to win now at all costs.

48 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

INDEPENDENT Neurologist 

Paid by whom?

2 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

This Independent Neurologist is paid by whom?  None of us know the details, but never ever underestimate the greed of the NFL or the GM and HC need to win now at all costs.

Paid by whom?

so you are an independent Dr. you want to lose your license and practice?

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Everything seems so shaky about concussions that I wouldn’t conclude anything can be certain except when someone is deemed in critically bad condition and cannot play.

Players have been cleared and sent back out in recent NFL playoff games where they almost went to the wrong huddle.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

so you are an independent Dr. you want to lose your license and practice?

How would he lose his license?  You can't prove malpractice in a case like this.  It's not like he prescribed the wrong medication.

It could all be on the up and up.  We don't know either way.  But there is a lot of money and high paying jobs on the line.  That usually plays a part in decisions is all I'm saying.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CodeMonkey said:

How would he lose his license?  You can't prove malpractice in a case like this.  It's not like he prescribed the wrong medication.

It could all be on the up and up.  We don't know either way.  But there is a lot of money and high paying jobs on the line.  That usually plays a part in decisions is all I'm saying.

So desperate to have Josh not play. This is sad.

44 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

But.. but.. what if that neurologist is rabid lunatic Bills fan? It could happen.      /justkidding

1 minute ago, CodeMonkey said:

Absolutely can prove if a player passes his Neurological Baseline Testing. Paperwork. No Independent Neurologist under a consultant contract is going to risk his or her reputation, or practice. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Absolutely can prove if a player passes his Neurological Baseline Testing. Paperwork. No Independent Neurologist under a consultant contract is going to risk his or her reputation, or practice. 

They wouldn't need a independent consultant if all there was to it is reading the results of the testing. 

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

McDermott disagrees.

Operative phrase:  "At the very least"  Meaning that would have been the worst case decision if Josh was cleared late.  Best case...He starts!  I'm happy with McD's decision.

Just now, CodeMonkey said:

They wouldn't need a independent consultant if all there was to it is reading the results of the testing. 

ahhhh but they do why?  Hmmm maybe to ensure this conspiracy theory you are trying to pitch doesn’t exist. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

ahhhh but they do why?  Hmmm maybe to ensure this conspiracy theory you are trying to pitch doesn’t exist. 

So you think just because someone is not affiliated with any team, that said person is going to be immune to taking large sums of money to do what's in a team's best interest?

I know he is cleared. But we're talking brain here, not a broken finger or bone. IMO it would make sense to make in active as the #2 QB, With the bye week and QBs not getting hit in practice, that would be 3 full weeks of recovery if Barkley finishes the game. Think long term here, not just this week!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Plausible deniability comes to mind. NFL wanting to avoid potential lawsuits. Not hard to see,

As I said twice now, could be on the up and up, but your blind faith in the NFL being good guys out for what's best for the players seems naive to me.

Im probably wrong, but seems to me the NFL has a list of Independant Drs that get paid by the league for making evaluations. kinda like my insurance, a list of "in network" Doctors available, providing a range of specific expertise. Depending upon location, timing, and availability a DR gets the call to go to work. They get paid by the league, and team doctors paid by the team. 

As I understand it the INC evaluates the injured player after participation in the first practice back in addition to reviewing whatever diagnostics performed by the team, including baseline measurements. In the case of QBs who typically aren’t taking hits at practice, how do they know whether the injured player is fully recovered? Do they put QBs through some special set of drills (e.g. practicing ball security while taking sacks) that they wouldn’t normally do in order to simulate contact? I feel like it would be a lot easier to game the system with a QB than say a LBer. 

Anyways, glad Josh got through it. If nothing else this means he isn’t experiencing headaches or other concussion symptoms anymore. Hopefully he’s able to bounce back from his performance last week.

Edited by VW82

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So you think just because someone is not affiliated with any team, that said person is going to be immune to taking large sums of money to do what's in a team's best interest?

it'd be in Tennessee's best interest if JA don't play. so where do you discern who's interests a DR is protecting?

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

proof. Or do we just make up outrageous conspiracy claims. Then again the President does so I guess that means everyone can 

Isn't it pretty clear that refs are on the take?  Why would doctors not be on the take, too?

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Isn't it pretty clear that refs are on the take?  Why would doctors not be on the take, too?

they have cleared several players recently who clearly were not of remotely working mind

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

so You stance is. 

man Independent Neurologist that is approved by the NFLPA and assigned to a team will risk everything to take 100Gs in a Duffel Bag

Given to him from a team that preaches family and culture at every turn. And from an Ownership group that invested MILLIONS into the health of their players only to Risk their QBs long term viability and health to Pay off an Independent Neurologist for a Tennessee Titian game. 

that is what you are going with?

Well ... yeah.

And so I'm clear ... you think that, simply because McDermott is a holy roller, that he's above paying a doctor to clear his QB?  Because men of faith have historically been on the up and up in every way, shape and form.  Right?

Is that what you're going with?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBob said:

No politics allowed on the Wall. There is a different board for that. 

calling out BS isn’t politics sorry

Just now, Gugny said:

There's no need to raise your font.

it is Ok. Maybe sometime you will get your wish and see Barkley play again. Not this week. 

Edited by MAJBobby