Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

See Josh Allen Concussion thread please rayray

trust me ... when the news breaks you will see plenty on it

that thread seems to just argue about McCoy, Zay, etc.

was hoping to have a thread that is only about Allen and his health for this week ?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, as bad a day as Allen had, it wasn’t the ultimate difference in the game. It was a shame he didn’t have an opportunity to finish the game because his 4th quarter stats this year are among the best in the league. 

Also, as much as I dislike his decision making on those INTs and the sacks he took, I’m more concerned about his not taking what the D was giving him. Part of that is on Daboll, but it’s mostly on Allen. If there is a glimmer of a silver lining in that regard, he came out in the second half and started doing exactly that. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The DIFFERENCE in the game was the ST, however. My argument: despite the unforced errors, the offense had done enough to win. the atrocity that was the punt block was the difference in the game.

Didnt NE have 10 points off of Allen turnovers though? Blaming the ST is just so you can avoid having to blame Allen. It’s okay if we lose a game because of Allen once in a while. It happens. If we win a lot more because of him than it’s not the biggest issue.

Edited by Bangarang

Just now, Bangarang said:

Pats has 10 points off of Allen turnovers though. Blaming the ST is just so you don’t have to blame Allen. It’s okay if we lose a game because of Allen. It happens. If we win a lot more because of him than it’s not the biggest issue.

9 points. May not seem like much, but when our offense scored 10, it’s significant.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Well, as bad a day as Allen had, it wasn’t the ultimate difference in the game. It was a shame he didn’t have an opportunity to finish the game because his 4th quarter stats this year are among the best in the league. 

Also, as much as I dislike his decision making on those INTs and the sacks he took, I’m more concerned about his not taking what the D was giving him. Part of that is on Daboll, but it’s mostly on Allen. If there is a glimmer of a silver lining in that regard, he came out in the second half and started doing exactly that. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

that thread seems to just argue about McCoy, Zay, etc.

was hoping to have a thread that is only about Allen and his health for this week ?

If you expect this thread to not get off the rails, you haven't been here long enough. :P Every single "news thread" on this board spirals to 8000 different sub points before the news actually breaks. Just use the other one and @YoloinOhio will update the title when something changes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I can't abide that people claim that Allen lost the game.

His offense scored a TD and a FG.

Brady's offense scored a TD and a FG.

Offenses drew even (forget the missed XP and missed 49-yarder for Hauschka).

Both teams had red zone turnovers at key moments. Allen's deep INTs aren't much different than punts as a practical matter (other than the down on which they occurred).

The punt block was the difference--that, and Allen getting knocked out of the game. We all know that 4th quarter Josh is a different player, and I don't think many folks would argue that he isn't more likely to get the ball in the end zone from inside the 10 than Barkley. 

Obviously the punt block was a huge difference, but that happened in the 1st quarter. The team had ample opportunity to overcome that mistake and failed to do so.

A offense putting up 10 points isn't going to win often in this league. An offense that turns the ball over 4 times isn't going to win often in this league. It's not impossible (See: Jets) but it's a statistical anomaly. 

Josh took sacks on 3 different third downs that either put the Bills out of FG range or made the FG attempt more difficult. To me, these are bigger plays than the INTs in terms of the Bills winning or losing. The first one I wasn't egregious, he got blitzed and they got to him fast. Yeah, a QB is supposed to read the blitz, know where his outlet is and get rid of it but he's young, THIS is a young QBs mistake. The other two were just horrendous. He sat back in the pocket for 5-6 seconds and still took a sack. These decisions led directly to 3-6 points being taken off the board. This is fundamental stuff, stuff a college QB knows not to do. There are simply no excuses for it.

As for scoring from inside the 10, you have to ask yourself, would Allen have had the Bills inside the 10 to begin with? To get down there Barkley threw a deep pass to Brown to convert a 3rd down. That was the first deep pass that came within 5 yards of a Bills WR all game. Maybe Josh gets them down there, maybe he doesn't. Maybe Josh and his clutch gene get the ball into the end zone in the 4th quarter, maybe he doesn't. Elway didn't complete every 4th quarter comeback, just because a QB has that ability doesn't mean it happens every time.

What I do know is that Allen was horrible on Sunday. Everything else is just speculation.

I don't get why people can't just say Allen was horrible, he was a huge reason the Bills lost (there is never a single reason, it's a team game) and still think he can be the franchise guy for the Bills moving forward. These aren't mutually exclusive ideas but it seems fans or so sensitive to the QB position that they fear giving an inch when someone questions their QB.

It would be insanely dumb IMO to play Josh on Sunday. Even if he's able to clear concussion protocol prior to game time why not give him the game off and be 100% sure he's OK. Bring him back after the bye vs Miami and let him find his feet against a weak opponent. You also have the added benefit of letting him watch and learn, and take the necessary time to digest that Pats loss and his up and down start to the year. It worked last year. 

Just now, Dopey said:

Hey guys, if you wanna discuss Josh's concussion AND ONLY Josh's concussion, rayray808 started a fresh thread. Enjoy and thanks rayray808.

:beer:

I thought that thread was to discuss whether or not we thought josh was a good QB?... Now I'm really confused. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Per McD:

still in protocol

will do drill work today 

Good that means he is progressing, he met is brain function baseline, as long as he doesn't degrade he may be elevated to football activities soon. So probably 50/50 he can play at this point