Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I certainly hope you are wrong and the brain trust at OBD is making decisions about the Bills is based on who helps us win the most as opposed to getting guys who played most of their career elsewhere into the Hall. 

We could have cut Yeldon.  Looks to me like their afraid to give him the football.  Reminds me of last year when we had a back up QB we were afraid to play.  These types of player decisions are disturbing.

I don’t think it was as much about the FO caring about Shady getting his 12k/HOF as it was Shady caring about it.... and that affecting his mindset, and potentially the team dynamic, given that Singletary beat him out in TC and he was headed toward a backup role. Anyone who follows Shady on social media knows how focused he is on his individual stats. 

I don’t sense they are afraid to give yeldon the ball. They threw to him in the end zone at a critical point in the game. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Paying way too much for a part time player is always an issue.

Having 3 starting RB’s when there’s only one ball is an issue.  We’ve tried that once and it was an issue.

I would rather get Singletary his game experience than keeping Shady for his 10 carries a game.  If Shady was going to be our bell cow back, then yes of course keep him...but this wasn’t the case.

Its also shady as a backup being a potential issue. 

I dont imagine him taking kindly to that 

I may be in the minority but all things being considered, i’d rather Allen sit this one out even if he is healthy. 

Sitting this game regardless of his health will allow him a full three weeks to get his mind right too. 

It can be a reset of sorts. The way he played on Sunday was down-right awful and I don’t think a break from action, disguised by the injury, is the worst thing for him. 

Secondly, I’m not all that sure how much it is going to hurt the team right now. Barkley is serviceable, healthy and can get all the practice reps and preparation at full speed. Give that to him and the “process” should take care of the rest. 

One day it’s my hope that missing Allen from a game will be crippling to this franchise because he’s evolved into an MVP level player who can carry this team. That day is not today. Trust your “process” and get his mind right. Refocus those fundamentals and prep for the three game home stand coming out of the bye. Big picture, folks. 

IMO

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Singletary has 10 touches this year. And 5 receptions.  Not sure how you declare him special or a good replacement for shady.  That dude is a playmaker. Which we could use right now.  

I guess players can only succeed in KC!

Really, I wasn't all that upset about the release, but it appears to be a mistake in retrospect. We're essentially talking about Shady vs. Yeldon. I'll take Shady.

Singletary did look good, so I'm hoping he gets back as soon as possible. But yeah, should have just kept McCoy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I personally hate all this over reaction. 

Dont get me wrong, i knew it was coming. 

The kids a kid. I had come to terms the NE game was nothing more than a measuring stick. BB has made PLENTY of young QBS look downright silly. Look no futher than last years SB for a good example. Dudes just get plain stifled and flummoxed. It sucks, but my opinion of Allen wasn't going to dip a ton even if it was a poop show - which is was, but he had a redeeming drive before the injury as well. THAT is the D he will eventually have to wrangle. Less than a full season under his belt, and he clearly wasnt up to the task - but thats ok! Not many QBs are. Its just a good measure of where we are at when **** gets real. He will continue to progress and hopefully next time that comes around he will have improved and put up more of a fight. Just bc he had a reprieve last year doesn't really make it a thing. He wont magically be better each time he gets a rest. This is his team, and these are the bumps everyone talks about. Some reactions and this start Barkley crap make me embarassed for some of you. Rather hypocritical if you ask me. Want the kid to handle adversity but the fans cant handle it themselves. When he can, get him in there and dont look back!!! Im sorry that we didnt get to knock NE off their proverbial perch in a game the D played well enough where it could have been accomplished. Itll happen. Until it does, some people need to grow up and stop acting like 2 year olds that didnt get their way. The tide is turning. Be patient. Yeesh

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 5

6 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

seriously. i know its not something we pay attention to on other teams but can anyone list any documented protocols that started on a sunday and ended in time for a player to take the field the following sunday?

just doesn't seem like it happens anymore.

Last one I remember off the top of my head was Philip Rivers in 2017. It was the week he played the Bills. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mango said:

We are eating the cap anyways. Money was a non-issue

Not really.  While it is true there was some dead cap money ($2.625 million), we still saved saved his full salary of $6.175 million. 

The stats below were listed in early 2019, so we paid his $250,000 workout bonus.  Because it was his last year, the only dead cap money was the final proration of his contact and that dead cap space of $2.625 million was going to be with us this season whether we paid his salary and kept him, or if we cut him.  So cutting him saved the full salary and added nothing additonal to the dead cap space we already were carrying for him this season.

LeSean McCoy

2019 cap hit: $9.05 million
Workout bonus portion: $250,000
Salary due: $6.175 million
Dead money: $2.625 million
Cap savings: $6.425 million

Edited by BuffaloBob

1 hour ago, gobills1212 said:

I personally hate all this over reaction. 

Dont get me wrong, i knew it was coming. 

The kids a kid. I had come to terms the NE game was nothing more than a measuring stick. BB has made PLENTY of young QBS look downright silly. Look no futher than last years SB for a good example. Dudes just get plain stifled and flummoxed. It sucks, but my opinion of Allen wasn't going to dip a ton even if it was a poop show - which is was, but he had a redeeming drive before the injury as well. THAT is the D he will eventually have to wrangle. Less than a full season under his belt, and he clearly wasnt up to the task - but thats ok! Not many QBs are. Its just a good measure of where we are at when **** gets real. He will continue to progress and hopefully next time that comes around he will have improved and put up more of a fight. Just bc he had a reprieve last year doesn't really make it a thing. He wont magically be better each time he gets a rest. This is his team, and these are the bumps everyone talks about. Some reactions and this start Barkley crap make me embarassed for some of you. Rather hypocritical if you ask me. Want the kid to handle adversity but the fans cant handle it themselves. When he can, get him in there and dont look back!!! Im sorry that we didnt get to knock NE off their proverbial perch in a game the D played well enough where it could have been accomplished. Itll happen. Until it does, some people need to grow up and stop acting like 2 year olds that didnt get their way. The tide is turning. Be patient. Yeesh

Thing is, he hasn't had a good game all year.  Yeah he's had flashes and led comebacks that he created the need for with sloppy ball handling, but overall, he's not much better than last year and thats not good.

• Like (+1) 1

I know it’s early and 3-1 is a nice surprise, but IMO we really really need to win this game. You need to stack as many wins up as possible and especially these tie breakers against conference opponents. 4-1 is so much better then 3-2. I’m not going to say must win, but if we lose I think the playoff chances take a major hit (if not go away). If Singletary can go, he absolutely needs to play. Allen needs to be capable of protecting himself and the ball. Otherwise call up Webb as the back up and build the week around getting Barkley ready. This is not going to be an easy game by any stretch and 3-2 is not what you want after opening up 3-0. There are a lot of tough games left. Stack those wins now because win streaks might be hard to come by down the stretch. Find a way to win this game. New England is one thing, but if you want to make the playoffs..you have to beat the teams like the Titans. There are still 4-6 very realistic losses on the schedule left down the stretch. We need to win this game IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know it’s early and 3-1 is a nice surprise, but IMO we really really need to win this game. You need to stack as many wins up as possible and especially these tie breakers against conference opponents. 4-1 is so much better then 3-2. I’m not going to say must win, but if we lose I think the playoff chances take a major hit (if not go away). If Singletary can go, he absolutely needs to play. Allen needs to be capable of protecting himself and the ball. Otherwise call up Webb as the back up and build the week around getting Barkley ready. This is not going to be an easy game by any stretch and 3-2 is not what you want after opening up 3-0. There are a lot of tough games left. Stack those wins now because win streaks might be hard to come by down the stretch. Find a way to win this game. New England is one thing, but if you want to make the playoffs..you have to beat the teams like the Titans. There are still 4-6 very realistic losses on the schedule left down the stretch. We need to win this game IMO.

I also feel like this is an important game if we are talking playoffs. Team like Titans might be the one we end up competing for a wild card spot. Loss wouldn't be so bad if Allen came out healthy from the last game. I hope Barkley plays well if Allen can't go. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloBob said:

Not really.  While it is true there was some dead cap money ($2.625 million), we still saved saved his full salary of $6.175 million. 

The stats below were listed in early 2019, so we paid his $250,000 workout bonus.  Because it was his last year, the only dead cap money was the final proration of his contact and that dead cap space of $2.625 million was going to be with us this season whether we paid his salary and kept him, or if we cut him.  So cutting him saved the full salary and added nothing additonal to the dead cap space we already were carrying for him this season.

LeSean McCoy

2019 cap hit: $9.05 million
Workout bonus portion: $250,000
Salary due: $6.175 million
Dead money: $2.625 million
Cap savings: $6.425 million

Are we trying to win, or save money?

And I thought Ralph was cheap.

If we had Shady we very well may have won Sunday. Once Gore got up there in carries and we couldn't run because Coach McDermott doesn't trust Yeldon, Shady probably would have broke one on the last drive ala snow game and Bucs game in 2017.

But at least it didn't hurt our cap space.

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Are we trying to win, or save money?

And I thought Ralph was cheap.

If we had Shady we very well may have won Sunday. Once Gore got up there in carries and we couldn't run because Coach McDermott doesn't trust Yeldon, Shady probably would have broke one on the last drive ala snow game and Bucs game in 2017.

But at least it didn't hurt our cap space.

These are my thoughts exactly. With the team averaging 6.1 yards per carry they still passed twice as much as ran, and that includes the QB scrambles. I think the major cause is that they just didn't have enough carries available from their RBs. And before people start saying "wait for Singletary to return", I would like to point out that I believe Singletary has 1 run between the tackles (for no gain). So I don't think the coaching staff sees him as someone who can carry a lot of the running load either.

• Like (+1) 1