Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Thrill

If Tremaine Edmunds has a problem.....

Recommended Posts

I have a feeling that with the way the Bills secondary is playing that the offense game plan for New England will target against Tremaine Edmunds.  He had a very good week against the Jets stopping Bell, he did fairly well against Saquan Barkley after the first drive.  While Mixon was held in held for the most part, he did break a long screen when Edmunds blew containment.

 

One major problem with Edmunds is that he’s allowed blockers to take him out of plays.  He just doesn’t shed blocks well.

 

Based on the success NE had last year on the ground, and with Edleman hobbled by an injury, I can see BB trying to pound the ball on the defense again.  But specifically I think he’ll run off the edges and try to hit some RB screens to target Edmunds’ weakness.  
 

I don’t see Brady throwing for a ton of yards on our defense but I do think the plan is to pound the defense. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NE is having trouble running the ball, especially last week.  There concerned about their offense online.  They are down a center and left tackle.  I was listening to NE sports radio today.  They were saying they are concerned about this week especially if eldmen is out, but do believe they will be getting there left tackle back in 6 to 8 weeks and even if they loss this weekend they will still win the divison easily.  They feel there schedule is easy for another 5 or 6 weeks.

 

FYI there reporting eldmen is fine.

Edited by clearwater cadet
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They just IRd Develin.  Edmunds is safe from targeting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

NE is having trouble running the ball, especially last week.  There concerned about their offense online.  They are down a center and left tackle.  I was listening to NE sports radio today.  They were saying they are concerned about this week especially if eldmen is out, but do believe they will be getting there left tackle back in 6 to 8 weeks and even if they loss this weekend they will still win the divison easily.  They feel there schedule is easy for another 5 or 6 weeks.

 

FYI there reporting eldmen is fine.

Edelman is fine until the first time someone lays the lumber to him with how bruised he's supposed to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GG said:

They just IRd Develin.  Edmunds is safe from targeting.  

 

Yeah, that is an underrated injury IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy to see that devlin wont be playing.  He laid some serious wood on Edmunds last year.  I’m sure Tremaines head would be on a swivel if he knew he was out there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I have a feeling that with the way the Bills secondary is playing that the offense game plan for New England will target against Tremaine Edmunds.  He had a very good week against the Jets stopping Bell, he did fairly well against Saquan Barkley after the first drive.  While Mixon was held in held for the most part, he did break a long screen when Edmunds blew containment.

 

One major problem with Edmunds is that he’s allowed blockers to take him out of plays.  He just doesn’t shed blocks well.

 

Based on the success NE had last year on the ground, and with Edleman hobbled by an injury, I can see BB trying to pound the ball on the defense again.  But specifically I think he’ll run off the edges and try to hit some RB screens to target Edmunds’ weakness.  
 

I don’t see Brady throwing for a ton of yards on our defense but I do think the plan is to pound the defense. 

 

I expect we will see a heavy dose of running and screens but not because of Edmunds, because that is who NE is now.  I am sure we will also see the usual quotient of quick passes to PED boy.

 

Edmunds received a good deal of blame from the fans around her for the Bills poor run defense in the last NE game, and although he was not blameless, he was not the primary problem.  Milano was also missing in the lineup which created a huge problem on that side of the defense.  We are also missing Taron Johnson, as we may be again, and his replacements were simply not in the same class in run support.  NE killed us on the edges as a result. every tackle is not Edmunds responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contrary to popular belief, the key to beating NE*** is stopping the run. Has been for several years now. Brady is hard enough to control when he IS forced to be one dimensional, it’s virtually impossible when he’s constantly in manageable down and distance situations. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brady will do his thing.   

 

The only thing I worry about is whether our offense can play mistake-free football for four quarters...

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's probably that he's just thinking too much out there.

Kid's barely 21 years old with no prior experience calling defenses and has more responsibility on his shoulders than he's ever had at any level of football. When you're in a position where you need to be more cerebral on the field, you tend to gravitate towards playing with more finesse and less power. It's hard to fill a hole like a raging barbarian when you're also trying to process a pile of mental checks that you're not necessarily accustomed to.

I'd imagine that over time those responsibilities will start to become second nature to him and we'll see him develop the capability to just cut loose and play ball. When he does, he'll likely be a more effective player for having gone through this process. It's probably just going to take a bit more than 15-20 NFL games to get there though.

  • Like (+1) 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually LOVE that we have a bunch of young, talented guys who have a lot to learn. That looks like a team on the rise to me! 

  • Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Augie said:

I actually LOVE that we have a bunch of young, talented guys who have a lot to learn. That looks like a team on the rise to me! 

 

 

This D is interesting. Very very good but with no person or level that stands out. Perhaps the backend is the strength. It’s hard to identify who truly sets the tone. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

 

 

This D is interesting. Very very good but with no person or level that stands out. Perhaps the backend is the strength. It’s hard to identify who truly sets the tone. 

 

This is exactly what I have been pondering recently. Other good defenses have star players, especially on the D line. This team doesn’t have that star player on the line. Yet they are collectively playing together within the system to shut down offenses. They seem to be a group of complimentary players where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

 

 

This D is interesting. Very very good but with no person or level that stands out. Perhaps the backend is the strength. It’s hard to identify who truly sets the tone. 

I think the two safeties run the show. Those guys are ultra valuable to this D.

  • Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I think the two safeties run the show. Those guys are ultra valuable to this D.

 

 

They were here both hand picked by McDermott and you have to include Tre as the other hand picked player. 

 

The three are very much the strength of this D 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

 

 

This D is interesting. Very very good but with no person or level that stands out. Perhaps the backend is the strength. It’s hard to identify who truly sets the tone. 

From watching live, it’s clear the safeties and Tre run things out there. One play Poyer/Hyde were screaming at 29 or 39 to get to the other side of the formation. They got him moved right before the snap and sure enough he ran up and had a clean sack on Dalton. 

 

Edmund doesn’t have the instincts of a MLB. Age isn’t going to change that. I have said this before, find me some plays where he goes forward and plugs a hole or wrecks a play. He likes to use his length and tackle with his arms. With his build and skill set he would be a great outside backer. For some reason people take that as a slight against him. 

  • Like (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe.  But isn’t MLB one of those positions that’s supposed to be fairly plug and play from college to the pros?  We’ve seen other Mike rookies come in and dominate from the gate.  And he also just doesn’t seem to play violently even when he reads the play and squares up to hit - I’m not sure he’s ever going to be a violent thumper type.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

From watching live, it’s clear the safeties and Tre run things out there. One play Poyer/Hyde were screaming at 29 or 39 to get to the other side of the formation. They got him moved right before the snap and sure enough he ran up and had a clean sack on Dalton. 

 

Edmund doesn’t have the instincts of a MLB. Age isn’t going to change that. I have said this before, find me some plays where he goes forward and plugs a hole or wrecks a play. He likes to use his length and tackle with his arms. With his build and skill set he would be a great outside backer. For some reason people take that as a slight against him. 

 

 

Edmunds is proving to be a better pass disruptor vs arum stopper. Maybe this is why he was selected. If so, a very different MLB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

From watching live, it’s clear the safeties and Tre run things out there. One play Poyer/Hyde were screaming at 29 or 39 to get to the other side of the formation. They got him moved right before the snap and sure enough he ran up and had a clean sack on Dalton. 

 

Edmund doesn’t have the instincts of a MLB. Age isn’t going to change that. I have said this before, find me some plays where he goes forward and plugs a hole or wrecks a play. He likes to use his length and tackle with his arms. With his build and skill set he would be a great outside backer. For some reason people take that as a slight against him. 

I think it's taken as a slight because that's not what McBeane want or have planned for him.

 

If he continues to struggle all year I suspect they'll move him to the outside and draft or sign a guy to play the position. 

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

 

 

Edmunds is proving to be a better pass disruptor vs arum stopper. Maybe this is why he was selected. If so, a very different MLB. 

He's a better version of Darron Lee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ScottLaw said:

I think it's taken as a slight because that's not what McBeane want or have planned for him.

 

If he continues to struggle all year I suspect they'll move him to the outside and draft or sign a guy to play the position. 

They won't. Edmunds is doing exactly what he was brought in to do. You have brought up the NE game last year before. I doubt it will happen again, especially with Milano back in the line up. In any event, a run stuffing MLB is more a liability in todays NFL than an asset.  McD is just not interested in a run stuffing MLB.  He wants a guy that is good in coverage and plays sideline to sideline. He does this exceptionally well. 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Maybe.  But isn’t MLB one of those positions that’s supposed to be fairly plug and play from college to the pros?  We’ve seen other Mike rookies come in and dominate from the gate.  And he also just doesn’t seem to play violently even when he reads the play and squares up to hit - I’m not sure he’s ever going to be a violent thumper type.

Xactly. MLB takes a fair amount of crazy. He isn’t that. He thinks too much and gets washed out of more plays than he should. He has all pro potential as an outside backer. 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...