If Tremaine Edmunds has a problem.....

Maybe.  But isn’t MLB one of those positions that’s supposed to be fairly plug and play from college to the pros?  We’ve seen other Mike rookies come in and dominate from the gate.  And he also just doesn’t seem to play violently even when he reads the play and squares up to hit - I’m not sure he’s ever going to be a violent thumper type.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

From watching live, it’s clear the safeties and Tre run things out there. One play Poyer/Hyde were screaming at 29 or 39 to get to the other side of the formation. They got him moved right before the snap and sure enough he ran up and had a clean sack on Dalton. 

Edmund doesn’t have the instincts of a MLB. Age isn’t going to change that. I have said this before, find me some plays where he goes forward and plugs a hole or wrecks a play. He likes to use his length and tackle with his arms. With his build and skill set he would be a great outside backer. For some reason people take that as a slight against him. 

Edmunds is proving to be a better pass disruptor vs arum stopper. Maybe this is why he was selected. If so, a very different MLB. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I think it's taken as a slight because that's not what McBeane want or have planned for him.

If he continues to struggle all year I suspect they'll move him to the outside and draft or sign a guy to play the position. 

They won't. Edmunds is doing exactly what he was brought in to do. You have brought up the NE game last year before. I doubt it will happen again, especially with Milano back in the line up. In any event, a run stuffing MLB is more a liability in todays NFL than an asset.  McD is just not interested in a run stuffing MLB.  He wants a guy that is good in coverage and plays sideline to sideline. He does this exceptionally well. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Maybe.  But isn’t MLB one of those positions that’s supposed to be fairly plug and play from college to the pros?  We’ve seen other Mike rookies come in and dominate from the gate.  And he also just doesn’t seem to play violently even when he reads the play and squares up to hit - I’m not sure he’s ever going to be a violent thumper type.

Xactly. MLB takes a fair amount of crazy. He isn’t that. He thinks too much and gets washed out of more plays than he should. He has all pro potential as an outside backer. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He's good in coverage for sure.

Just about everything else is meh, IMO. Doesn't shed blocks well, doesn't tackle well, still overpurses plays and ball carriers, gets dragged for yards when he does make a stop.

Yeah, I don't think that has been true this year, at all. There are exceptions, but he has been really good consistently. I think you just fall guilty to only seeing the bad plays. For example, you saw the screen Sunday and think he had a bad game. He bit too hard on the play fake, so he didn't see the blocker moving up to his outside shoulder. Not great, but it was one play. He was solid the remainder of the game. 

Great example...

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just about everything else is meh, IMO. Doesn't shed blocks well, doesn't tackle well, still overpurses plays and ball carriers, gets dragged for yards when he does make a stop.

This is the central issue sows he need to bulk up to be a run stopper or stay the same to cover. My guess is McDermott wants the latter. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Not really.

I rewatched the entire game. He over pursued  several times, and misread some plays while struggling to shed blocks. He was by no means awful. But he doesn't play sideline to sideline "exceptionally well" at this point. 

Honestly. No disrespect. Do you watch the all-22?  I mean, sure, if you watch on TV, its hard to follow and understandable for you to think that. The different camera angle reveals a lot. 

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Maybe.  But isn’t MLB one of those positions that’s supposed to be fairly plug and play from college to the pros? 

I don't know if there's any such thing  in this league any more. With all the various personnel packages and the massive amount of nickel and dime they are running, Edmunds has different keys and responsibilities on virtually every different down and distance he sees. Maybe if his only two responsibilities were to fill the right hole and drop in a Cover2 there might be cause for concern. But even an alien like Keuchly started his rookie year on the outside before he eventually got moved to the Mike.

If he's not significantly more consistent by the end of this year, it might be time to worry about it then. For now, he's just a very young dude whose playing well but with room for improvement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He's my disappointment of the year, he got drafted high and that brings great expectations, especially when the name Lawrence Taylor got thrown around with him.. right now, he's not even playing well, forget great. Maybe outside would be better.

Just now, DCofNC said:

He's my disappointment of the year, he got drafted high and that brings great expectations, especially when the name Lawrence Taylor got thrown around with him.. right now, he's not even playing well, forget great. Maybe outside would be better.

If you watch the all-22, it is immediately apparent he is playing as well as anyone on the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Simon said:

it's probably that he's just thinking too much out there.

Kid's barely 21 years old with no prior experience calling defenses and has more responsibility on his shoulders than he's ever had at any level of football. When you're in a position where you need to be more cerebral on the field, you tend to gravitate towards playing with more finesse and less power. It's hard to fill a hole like a raging barbarian when you're also trying to process a pile of mental checks that you're not necessarily accustomed to.

I'd imagine that over time those responsibilities will start to become second nature to him and we'll see him develop the capability to just cut loose and play ball. When he does, he'll likely be a more effective player for having gone through this process. It's probably just going to take a bit more than 15-20 NFL games to get there though.

no prior experience? what do you call all of last year? last year's TC? this year's TC?

no need to make excuses for him. He is fine! He had only 3 tackles the last game since the Bills for a big chunk of the game never let the Bengals' Offensive players reach the second level.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

it's probably that he's just thinking too much out there.

Kid's barely 21 years old with no prior experience calling defenses and has more responsibility on his shoulders than he's ever had at any level of football. When you're in a position where you need to be more cerebral on the field, you tend to gravitate towards playing with more finesse and less power. It's hard to fill a hole like a raging barbarian when you're also trying to process a pile of mental checks that you're not necessarily accustomed to.

I'd imagine that over time those responsibilities will start to become second nature to him and we'll see him develop the capability to just cut loose and play ball. When he does, he'll likely be a more effective player for having gone through this process. It's probably just going to take a bit more than 15-20 NFL games to get there though.

Edmunds hasn't stepped up as promised.    The issues have been well documented in this thread.   Not instinctive, gets locked on blocks etc...    

He's got 10 solo tackles in 3 games.    Secondary members Poyer and Siran Neal have more combined and solo tackles than him and Levi Wallace and Tre White also have more solo tackles than him.    That's way too much tackling in the secondary.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

This D is interesting. Very very good but with no person or level that stands out. Perhaps the backend is the strength. It’s hard to identify who truly sets the tone. 

They were here both hand picked by McDermott and you have to include Tre as the other hand picked player. 

The three are very much the strength of this D 

The secondary is obviously the strength......... but almost everyone on D was hand picked........even duds like Star and Vontae........over

20 of the defensive players were imported by McDermott including using 3 first round picks on D in his 3 drafts.

But it's more about the coaching than the talent on D.   There are plenty of defenses as talented that aren't nearly as efficient.

The quality of the personnel shows up in the redone when it becomes more of a matchup game and the Bills really struggle mightily in the RZ.

• Like (+1) 2

This is the central issue sows he need to bulk up to be a run stopper or stay the same to cover. My guess is McDermott wants the latter. 

I think it's safer to say that he wants a player who does both very well.   

You don't draft a MLB in the middle of round 1 so that your safeties can make all of the tackles.

For example Kuechly had 18 tackles two weeks ago........and is very good in coverage as well.

52 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

no prior experience? what do you call all of last year? last year's TC? this year's TC?

no need to make excuses for him. He is fine! He had only 3 tackles the last game since the Bills for a big chunk of the game never let the Bengals' Offensive players reach the second level.

He played LB for 3 years at VA Tech too............its not like Brian Urlacher entering the NFL as a safety out of the Mountain West conference (and turning into a superstar MLB day one).

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't think it is as much of his age (21) as it is experience (barely in his second year).  One would have to believe that McD wants Edmunds to cover the middle/slot, stop the run, and rush the passer on occasion.  Right now, Edmunds is good at covering the slot receiver and TE.  He looks to need more work with stopping the run; if the DL doesn't hit the back first, there is a good chance the RB is making it to the secondary for a big gain.  I haven't seen him rush the passer much, though that is probably more a function of scheme - Frazier doesn't blitz a whole lot.

I was also hoping (expecting) that Edmunds would have bulked up a little this past off season.  Doesn't look like he has done this.

If Edmunds is still struggling against the run and shedding blockers by season's end, I'm in the camp that he should be moved to OLB and Beane/McD should look for another MLB - either FA or draft.

Edited by Happy Gilmore
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Just about everything else is meh, IMO. Doesn't shed blocks well, doesn't tackle well, still over pursues plays and ball carriers, gets dragged for yards when he does make a stop.

I agree....time will tell but I sense he will eventually be moved outside. 

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Just about everything else is meh, IMO. Doesn't shed blocks well, doesn't tackle well, still over pursues plays and ball carriers, gets dragged for yards when he does make a stop.

Does not have the classic "nose for the ball" you would like from that position IMO.