Rookie Watch.

ChicagoRic

Nice game by Sweeney.  35 yards and showed really good drive blocking on a Singletary run.  

Knox:  1 yard.  Nothing to report in terms of blocking. 

Oliver: 2 tackles.  I'll take it. 

Ford:  Struggled. 

Edited by ChicagoRic

35 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Nice game by Sweeney.  35 yards and showed really good drive blocking on a Singletary run.  

Singletary had the biggest impact. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, class_of_2012 said:

He had 81 yards today on just 10 carries with KC. I regret cutting him.

A lot of what's important to NFL players is respect.  Other players notice how stars are treated.  Washington didn't even have Adrian Peterson suit up today -- how can you do that and not have other players notice? 

Shady could still have been very good for the team this year, but he wasn't going to get the carries he's used to.  It wouldn't sit well for a rookie to become the lead back while he watches from the sidelines.

Cutting him instead of trading him?  That shows respect too.  Instead of getting a low draft pick for a HOF candidate, they let him pick his team, and possibly get a ring at the end of his career.  Good for him.  Shady responded with very appreciative tweets about the team and about Buffalo.  I think this was handled correctly by the Bills.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Utah John said:

A lot of what's important to NFL players is respect.  Other players notice how stars are treated.  Washington didn't even have Adrian Peterson suit up today -- how can you do that and not have other players notice? 

Shady could still have been very good for the team this year, but he wasn't going to get the carries he's used to.  It wouldn't sit well for a rookie to become the lead back while he watches from the sidelines.

Cutting him instead of trading him?  That shows respect too.  Instead of getting a low draft pick for a HOF candidate, they let him pick his team, and possibly get a ring at the end of his career.  Good for him.  Shady responded with very appreciative tweets about the team and about Buffalo.  I think this was handled correctly by the Bills.

Agreed. It just drives me crazy that KC's 3 offensive leaders today were or could have been Bills: Shady, Watkins, and Mahomes.

Edited by class_of_2012
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, class_of_2012 said:

Agreed. It just drives me crazy that KC's 3 offensive leaders today were or could have been Bills: Shady, Watkins, and Mahommes.

Yeah, but unless they got Andy Reid as well I don't think the results would have been what you are looking for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And the first time he touched it he dropped it. He looked good overall though. Shady scores on two of the four carries imo. 

I think DS just got used to those jukes working on 95% of college players and figured that was more of a sure thing than outrunning the defender to the corner.  Rookie debut jitters I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And the first time he touched it he dropped it. He looked good overall though. Shady scores on two of the four carries imo. 

I like how you KNOW that this is fact lol. Also we won...waaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by Johnnycage46

1 minute ago, chris heff said:

Under what circumstances is he supposed to let that guy have a free shot at QB?

Under 100 different circumstances depending on the play call... Free releases happen all the time, especially with TE's. He ran out into a route, and it's possible that his progression called for a chip, but it's just as likely that he wasn't supposed to chip the end. 

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Brian Winters is 320 lbs

Thank you for this.

Oliver made an impact today, even though it doesn't look like it from a statistical viewpoint.

Now, can we please not have him drop back into pass coverage again?

Edited by Mark Vader

A look at all of the McDermott/Beane draft picks and UDFA pickups:

Good first week for the 2019 draft class:

1. Oliver and Singletary were very good

2. Sweeney performed when called on (2 catches, couldn't tell you on his blocking)

3. Knox not a factor but no negatives

4. Ford struggled

5. D. Johnson in the DE rotation

2018 draft class:

1. Allen up and down but comes through in the end

2. Edmunds - very good game

3. H. Phillips - in rotation acquitted himself well

4. T. Johnson - really good game but got hurt again

5. L Wallace had a very good game

6. S. Neal - solid made a few good plays though had 1-2 shaky ones

7. Foster - nothing

2017 draft class

1. T. White - must have had a very good game they didn't throw much at him

2. Z. Jones - nothing spectacular but made the catches when thrown to 

3. D. Dawkins - Looked bad on the one play but overall pretty solid

4. M. Milano - Great game

To have 15 players from the last 3 drafts (plus a couple UDFAs) contribute and overall be very good except Ford is very encouraging and really starts to establish a good foundation for the team. 

7 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

Uh what about Singletary?