Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

@SectionC3

Since they closed the other thread.

Here is my response:

Is a journalist working on these things more knowledgeable than you who have read one section of the CBA.

Again - please show me anyone interpreting the CBA your way as opposed to the multiple reports over the last several years showing that once the date passes - the contract is set and cannot be discussed until the end of the NFL year.

I understand what you are saying, but you seem to be alone in your understanding and have nothing to stand on other than your interpretation.  

Here is another her article from when Bell was on the Tag last year:

Bell's contractual status

Players with unsigned tenders can't be traded until signed. I dealt with this particular aspect of Bell's situation while an agent. One of the players I helped represent was cornerback Jimmy Hitchcock. The Patriots informed us during the 1998 NFL Draft, after they used a first-round pick to select Tebucky Jones, a safety who would be moved to cornerback, that a trade with the Ravens had been worked out for Hitchcock. Since Hitchcock didn't want to be dealt to a team that drafted a cornerback in the first round, we advised him to refuse to sign his restricted free-agent tender. His refusal killed the trade. Hitchcock subsequently signed his tender for a trade to the Vikings, who hadn't used a high draft choice on a cornerback. Essentially, Bell has a de facto no-trade clause or veto power of a trade.

By CBA rule, franchise players who don't sign long term by the mid-July deadline are prohibited from signing a multi-year contract until after the 2018 regular season, which ends on Dec. 30. This prohibition on signing a long-term deal also applies to any team acquiring Bell in a trade.

Now just show me one recent article or point of view of anyone in the NFL circle saying he can sign a deal with the new team.  I get it you read the one section of the CBA on way, but I am telling you the people that may actually know something and have actual sources to talk to in the league office are all pointing out the same message above.  This is not the first issue with a player not signing the tag after the July drop dead date and these guys have a lot more information and data to draw on.

Sorry to keep ruining your day. ?

Edited by Rochesterfan

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

If he's only after the $$$ and the night life then sure, Miami is the front runner. If he is about getting paid good, but being on a team with the chance to win some games in the next 3 years then not gonna happen. 

P.S. - On a side note, is this going to end up like the Maclin thread? :lol:

Edited by H2o

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't understand why the Dolphins want him.  It seems as though they want to suck but then want to add Clowney?  

Their OL is atrocious, they have no QB and their plan to get one one is to suck, they are carrying over$40 million in dead cap. They won't be good for years. Feels like it is the owner's way to try to fill seats while they suck

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's not entirely out of the realm for the Dolphins to compete in 2020.... not every team is on a 4 year rebuild plan....

You're so consistently on brand. You never post a thing on this forum that doesn't just SCREAM "ScottLaw". 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Apparently the Eagles have $24mill in cap room right now according to Sptrac if I am reading it correctly. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/

Interesting they have diff figures at overthecap, either way they could technically afford it as the olb tag is 15 mil and de is 17

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Still waiting for you to bring some logic...or are you still worried about how they are going to pay Harrison Phillips in 2 years? 

Seriously? Do it! 

Talk about a no brainer

Clowney >>>>>>> Ford, Trade material, Zay Jones or Ragland

17 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Obviously, Clowney is a talent, but I could take or leave him. He’s not Mack, but he would really help the defense. What I get sick of reading is how players prefer XYZ team. And XYZ team is never the Bills. It’s not news and I should be used to it by now, but it’s frustrating to be irrelevant and never be mentioned in those conversations. Worst of all, Bills only have themselves to blame for falling so far off the national radar. 

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's not entirely out of the realm for the Dolphins to compete in 2020.... not every team is on a 4 year rebuild plan....

You seriously sound like scorned teenaged girl sometimes.  

16 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Their OL is atrocious, they have no QB and their plan to get one one is to suck, they are carrying over$40 million in dead cap. They won't be good for years. Feels like it is the owner's way to try to fill seats while they suck

I don't even think they fill the seats if they resurrected Nick Buoniconti from the dead.

RIP Nick...I loved you on Inside the NFL!

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Still waiting for you to bring some logic...or are you still worried about how they are going to pay Harrison Phillips in 2 years? 

Seriously? Do it! 

The next thing of value you contribute to this forum will be your first.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

"Prefers Seahawks, Eagles as potential destinations"

Can't say I blame him.  They have complete teams.  The Bills don't; at least not yet.

I just got a call from the seahawks and eagles...they are also looking for a few good fans that offer awesome commentary

I nominated you.....pack your bags

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The truth hurts Teffle.?

It was a completely baseless post.  2019 hasn’t even started yet but you know enough about them where they could compete in 2020?  We don’t even who their QB is in 12 days but in 2020, whoever it is....he could have them competitive.

Its just another way for you to take a shot at the Bills.  Grow up.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Exactly. This makes no since,unless they of course were just straight telling a lie that the whole team is on the block. Otherwise I just don't get it.

He's better than anyone on their team, and considering the price it's just good asset management. Why does it matter when you add an elite pass rusher?

Just now, Chemical said:

He's better than anyone on their team, and considering the price it's just good asset management. Why does it matter when you add an elite pass rusher?

Because realistically, the team isn't going to be ready to compete for a championship for the next few seasons. So you're paying probably the biggest contract for a defensive player in league history for a guy whose presence isn't likely to change the fact that you'll be sitting on your couch come playoff time. 

Just now, Logic said:

Because realistically, the team isn't going to be ready to compete for a championship for the next few seasons. So you're paying probably the biggest contract for a defensive player in league history for a guy whose presence isn't likely to change the fact that you'll be sitting on your couch come playoff time. 

So just don't try? I'll say it again, what year of our rebuild did we sign Hughes? They have a good young LT, CB, S. If they add an elite DE they won't be far off depending how next years draft goes.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Logic has no place here in pearlclutcherton.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Was going to post something kinda similar to what logic just responded, so I'll basically just use his post.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chemical said:

So just don't try? I'll say it again, what year of our rebuild did we sign Hughes? They have a good young LT, CB, S. If they add an elite DE they won't be far off depending how next years draft goes.

I don't honestly have a problem with the Dolphins making this move. If they think it will help them win more games, then more power to them. I'm simply stating that it's a little weird to see "the whole team is on the block, they're tanking for a QB!" one minute and then "they want to trade assets and give up big money for a pass rusher in his prime" the next minute. It's just a little weird to me. They should pick a lane.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

If the Bills aren't ready to compete for a Super Bowl title by NEXT SEASON, then something wrong happened along the way with this latest rebuild. Rebuilds in pro football aren't supposed to take longer than 3 or 4 years. The salary cap template for this roster is such that there is plenty of room allocated for 1 elite Jim Johnson-style 4-3 DE, especially for the time that Allen is on his rookie contract.

• Thank you (+1) 1