What if Matt Barkley gets hurt?

22 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

If Barkley goes down this year, it seems unlikely that Jackson would be elevated to #2.  What Veteran QB sitting at home currently or maybe cut do you think they would bring in?

thumbs down to the first smart guy that responds “Kyle Orton”

Well last year when Peterman went out they put Allen in so if Jackson learns the O scheme & can prove he's seeing things the way they want i don't see why he couldn't be put in if they keep him on the 53 which has been said he may not make that jump. 

I don't know who would be available if Barkley did go down maybe Orton ? but seriously folks i'm sure there are a couple of candidates out there but no one i would feel real comfortable with just coming in & getting up to speed that fast unless of coarse they would call Anderson again ? but i wasn't a huge fan of that call who knows maybe AJ he would ave a good recollection of the O still ? 

8 minutes ago, T master said:

Well last year when Peterman went out they put Allen in so if Jackson learns the O scheme & can prove he's seeing things the way they want i don't see why he couldn't be put in if they keep him on the 53 which has been said he may not make that jump. 

I don't know who would be available if Barkley did go down maybe Orton ? but seriously folks i'm sure there are a couple of candidates out there but no one i would feel real comfortable with just coming in & getting up to speed that fast unless of coarse they would call Anderson again ? but i wasn't a huge fan of that call who knows maybe AJ he would ave a good recollection of the O still ? 

I love that idea T Master, 

Ideally though, nobody gets hurt... 

Edited by Figster

10 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

See, that's where your bias starts to show through. He was objectively not garbage. He had a 59.8 completion % with a 2.5-1 TD/Int ratio over his career on some really bad teams. And those teams did not improve during his benching. In fact SF has kinda been trash since, except for Jimmy G's run 2 years ago to close out the season.

He may not have ended up an all-star or even a starter, but he'd at absolute worst be a top 3 backup in this league with an ability to come in and win games.

No he wasnt on bad teams.  He made those teams look bad.  Lol if Allen puts up the numbers in year 4 that Kaepernick put up in his 4th year.  You will throw a fit.  Im not the one thats bias and I can take a good guess what you bias is.

• 4 weeks later...

Early in the season injuries to both Allen and Barkley (QBs A and B) would be a big problem.  Davis Webb has spent time with the Giants and the Jets.  The Giants' Pat Shurmur has roots in Andy Reid's West Coast system with additional influence from Chip Kelly's up tempo attack and Norv Turner's vertical passing game, but the language is probably West Coast.  

Adam Gase has a mixed background  He has served on staff with Mike Martz who was, I believe, an Air Coryell disciple, a deep passing, pass heavy offense, but he has also been involved in offenses that featured a lot of underneath passing, particularly outside the hash marks.  I don't know what kind of terminology Gase uses, but it's likely not to be the same as Brian Daboll's flavor of Erhardt-Perkins.  He's going to need time to learn the terminology as well as time to start gaining familiarity with Buffalo's offensive support personnel.  WRs, TEs, RBs.  If he had to start for the home opener, the game plan would have to be incredibly basic and predictable.  Cincinnati would eat him alive, and Cincinnati isn't very good.  If Allen and Barkley do both end up hurt at the same time, I hope it at least doesn't happen until mid-season.  The Bills would not have been any better off with Tyree under center because he is so raw.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:32 PM, High Football IQ said:

I think the bigger question is what if Allen gets hurt.

Barkley is serviceable and certainly not as good as he looked against the Jets last year in his lone start, but if JA gets hurt or struggles you might as well start thinking about drafting yet another new QB next year.

Absolutely. Allen is the guy. He's QB1 . This staff and players truly believe in him , it is his team .

I don't see a scenario where Allen plays so horrendous that he gets benched but if he got hurt for 4-6 games , I believe Barkley can keep us afloat at least. 

If Matt Barkley gets hurt I’m sure he’ll recover. NFL teams all have doctors with the latest medical treatment that modern science can provide.

The bigger question is will he be able to collect workers compensation checks while he’s recovering.