Greg Gabriel Blasts Ed Oliver and Believes He Has “Bust Potential”

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Every player is a knee injury away from being a bust.  Ask Ki-jana Carter.

Ki-Jana was kind of dumb. He is from Columbus and one of the local reporters interviewed him early in his rookie season and asked him how it felt to be in the nfl, he said he was confused about his first paycheck, it was way less than it should have been. The reporter told him: “Ki-Jana, it’s called ‘taxes’.” He threw the check at the reporter in frustration. 

We have a couple of threads where it is pointed out that DLs are now putting a premium on quickness/speed and one way to combat it  is with OL power.

I think our OL revamp ++ getting Oliver, shows we are simultaneously following both trends.

I think Oliver may get moved around quite a bit, along with stunts to make him tough to locate. 

I do think his weight and short arms will make it tough sometimes.  He’ll just need to be tougher.

His Never Quit attitude may be his biggest strength.  He will lose sometimes, but if he wins 2/3, he’ll be great.

He's opinionated and he puts his name to them.  To me that's something rare in the business.  The thing about Josh seems legit.  If you just look at the tape and do not get the context from the Wyoming coaches you do not get the full picture.   Most all the opinions we hear about are from the tape and hearsay only, the full backstory is in the realm of the actual team scouts/GMs.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unemployed scouts are the best. They can say whatever they want for attention. 

It's been a long slide down for Greg. Might still be a little bitter he didn't latch on to the Bills, being a local boy and all.

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Going back and listening to the draft coverage of my podcasts.  I was way behind on Moranalytics and I listened to a show before the draft with Greg Gabriel - the Buffalo-born ex scout and personnel guy.  Greg is super opinion and seems to hold his philosophy in high regard.  Bills fans either respect Greg for his experience or disregard his opinion for being out of touch (remember he said Peterman was going to be an NFL caliber starter...but apparently forgot it).

At the time of this interview before the draft Ed Oliver was rising and many thought NYJ would take him at #3.  Pat Moran asked Greg about the Bills taking Ed (he said he was a “Top 6 lock”), and that’s when Greg went on somewhat of a rant.  I did the best I could to transcribe.  Might be off by a little but this is the gist:

Time stamp: 32:00

“I’ll say this. Right now there’s a number of people speculating that he’s going to go to the Jets at number three and Gregg Williams thinks he can be another Aaron Donald. I’ll tell ya right now.  I think that’s a mistake. I don’t like him. I don’t like him at with the Bills at 9.  I think he’s a middle of the first round player at best, and there’s bust potential in him.  Because you go back and you look at the tape and the tape isn’t very good. 

He didn’t make many plays. He’s kind of lackadaisical. He had a problem with the coaching staff later in the year. You know I look at that and it turns me off from from football.   Because you want a guy playing down in and down out.  And that’s not him.

Personally from my standpoint if the Jets take him that’s great. It means the bills get to play against him twice a year.”

The discussion then turns to Rashan Gary to the Bills and Greg says both Rashan and Eddie are bad fits for the Bills based on their attitudes:

Time stamp: 39:00

“From what I’ve been told, the type of person that Sean McDermott wants is a great player in the locker room. A glass heater so to speak. A guy that’s all team.  And to players like Oliver and Gary to me are the opposite of what he’s looking for the Buffalo Bills team.  Now could they still take these guys?  Absolutely, I just think thats not what they’re looking for.”

All in all, Greg felt the Bills would draft Jonah Williams or TJ Hockenson and he was high on both.

He also says he was wrong on Josh Allen last year but it was because he was only going on what he saw on tape and didn’t know the type of person/leader Allen is.  He expects him to make progress similarly to a Trubiaky...maybe a Goff.

You can hear the audio yourself at 32 and 39 minute mark:

http://moranalytics.com/ep-113-greg-gabriel-plus-final-bills-four-round-mock-draft/

If this guy is not good then the whole draft will be bust because other players look like garbage.

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

He also says the Giants did a great job in the draft

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Oh no, we suck again.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unemployed scouts are the best. They can say whatever they want for attention. 

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

The verdict is in so cut Oliver, fire Beane.

KUDOS!  Those were 4 straight funny posts by you guys that got me laughing and just stopped right there.  Nice work boys

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's been a long slide down for Greg. Might still be a little bitter he didn't latch on to the Bills, being a local boy and all.

I’m not sure about your assessment, Greg had a career in the NFL basically working for two organizations, that’s pretty uncommon. People in the NFL get fired and hired all the time. This is conjecture, but I think when his time with the Bears ended he was happy in Chicago. Never struck me as a bitter guy. I did have the occasion to be on a beach with him after the Bills drafted JP, boy was his assessment of JP on the money. Just my two cents.

Greg Gabriel has a consistent issue with players that show any kind of attitude at all. Any player that goes beyond saying "yes sir" is a likely bust in his eyes. Very old school mentality. He can talk about Oliver's tape all he wants. As soon as Oliver got in an argument with his coach he became a bust.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

My boss is a lions fan (and a Michigan fan too wtf did I do to deserve this btw) and was bitching yesterday about the Hock pick. I know she didn’t pay attention to the draft process and insisted this was one of the bigger names and assured he was a different type of TE then Ebron. I lied though saying I would have taken him at 8 ahead of Oliver, I would not have. 

Brown noser

• Haha (+1) 4