Did we land a top 5 GM in Beane?

Cleaned up salary cap disaster in one year

Wheeled and dealed to get into position to draft a franchise QB

Not afraid to roll the dice on an upside player, and more importantly, not afraid to admit a mistake and cut their ass if it doesn’t work

Addressed O-line and WR,  largest team weaknesses in FA, on team friendly deals without breaking the bank

Still has a top 10 draft pick in his pocket and nine other picks

Should have @$100 million in space next year to extend our own talent instead of watching it walk

Has the stones to go after AB, and the brains to walk away

Gets up in front of the entire NFL and national sports media and tells them all to suck his d*** for bad mouthing Buffalo

We’ll all see how it plays out on the field this season, but I think Beane has this franchise in the best shape it’s been in twenty years

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 18
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 18
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Remember when we thought we had our QB in Fitz and rewarded him early?

So long as we are the Bills, I can't declare anyone a success until I see it on the field at the end of the season.

BBFS for life!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Listen I am a big Beane fan and his early resume is quiet nice to this point including breaking the drought. But I do want to pump the breaks a little because I liked Whaley a ton too and lots of people heading into the 2015 offseason thought he was the dude after putting together a strong D and adding good FA's to offense with the McCoy trade being the highlight. That didn't turn out well which was a mix of bad coaching and too much bad contracts. But my point being is before I even start saying top 5 I think we need to see some more success and yes I am saying it a division crown.

Now if you want to say Beane is one of the better/rising young minds I think that nationally is becoming a strong sentiment based off his work.

• Like (+1) 3

Too early to tell.

Hes got one draft under his belt which looked encouraging as the year went on.

The cap problem seems to be a non issue at this point. 

All of his second year FAs made sense even signing an 80 yr old Frank Gore.

As his second draft looms we’ll see what he does in 3 weeks.

• Like (+1) 3

Definitely seems like he has a plan and I like what they have done for 2 years.  But it likely comes down to Josh Allen.  If he's good, everything else will fall into place one way or another.  If not, I imagine a slow painful few years before Coach/GM are let go.  I dont think Josh Allen will ever be a disaster with the team going 2-14, so I think the low end of this "process" is a few middling seasons with 5-7 wins and people want a new direction.  High end is yearly contender.

TBD

He created the salary cap dead money issue. He threw away 2018 season and dismantled first playoff team in 17 years

He is partially complicit in the QB situation to start 2018.

His first FA class was terrible

The best player on the team was chosen by McD/Whaley

I love Allen and Beane's fate is sealed with him 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

TBD

He created the salary cap dead money issue. He threw away 2018 season and dismantled first playoff team in 17 years

He is partially complicit in the QB situation to start 2018.

His first FA class was terrible

The best player on the team was chosen by McD/Whaley

I love Allen and Beane's fate is sealed with him 

This is it. Great QB's make for great GM's. Excellent QB's can hide a lot of roster warts.

Yeah as the above stated it’s all on Allen for Beanes actual success here. If Allen washes out and there’s nobody to replace him he will only last a couple more years. If Allen hits elite status Beane is here for probably as long as Allen. I do like the moves he has made though and I really like the team he’s built us for this season 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd say other than jump to a conclusion that he is a top 5 GM in the league i will wait unlike those that put Fitz on a pedestal but i will say that from the looks of things our favorite team is in a lot better place than it has been in a long time !!

Beane has been aggressive not only in the draft but now has shown that he can pick up good players to more than contribute in FA . If he continues on the path he has been on i would dare say he will be one of the top 5 GM's in the league in very short order ! 

The Pegs have to be happy with what he has done & the media is throwing praises at him for the moves he has made & i'm sure this yrs draft will be another for the books !! 

32 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Cleaned up salary cap disaster in one year

Wheeled and dealed to get into position to draft a franchise QB

Not afraid to roll the dice on an upside player, and more importantly, not afraid to admit a mistake and cut their ass if it doesn’t work

Addressed O-line and WR,  largest team weaknesses in FA, on team friendly deals without breaking the bank

Still has a top 10 draft pick in his pocket and nine other picks

Should have @$100 million in space next year to extend our own talent instead of watching it walk

Has the stones to go after AB, and the brains to walk away

Gets up in front of the entire NFL and national sports media and tells them all to suck his d*** for bad mouthing Buffalo

We’ll all see how it plays out on the field this season, but I think Beane has this franchise in the best shape it’s been in twenty years

Cutting and trading everyone creating a cap disaster and then having it clear because you didn’t spend for a year is the easy part that anyone could do. 

Going forward is the actual challenge. 

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Listen I am a big Beane fan and his early resume is quiet nice to this point including breaking the drought. But I do want to pump the breaks a little because I liked Whaley a ton too and lots of people heading into the 2015 offseason thought he was the dude after putting together a strong D and adding good FA's to offense with the McCoy trade being the highlight. That didn't turn out well which was a mix of bad coaching and too much bad contracts. But my point being is before I even start saying top 5 I think we need to see some more success and yes I am saying it a division crown.

Now if you want to say Beane is one of the better/rising young minds I think that nationally is becoming a strong sentiment based off his work.

There is a huge difference between Whaley and Beane. There is no chitter chatter leaking about Beane and internal power struggles. Those rumors were frequently during both Marrone and Ryan's time as HC. Beane seems to be a good communicator and knows how to get buy-in. 

As the OP pointed out Beane has purged bad contracts and freed up a lot of cash. He also hasn't just gone and spent it all because he had it like previous GM's have done but yet we've a completely revamped OL and WR corp.

If Beane isn't top 5 can someone list the Top 5 Current GMs for me then.