Woodstock 50Th Anniversary at Watkins Glen Intl This Summer

https://www.mytwintiers.com/news/woodstock-50th-anniversary-coming-to-watkins-glen/1693703503

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. (WETM) - The 50th anniversary of Woodstock will come to Watkins Glen in the summer of 2019.

According to the concert promoter, Woodstock 50 will be Aug. 16-18.

Michael Lang, the Producer and co-founder of the original Woodstock Festival, announced back in December that the original Woodstock site would not be used for the 50th anniversary celebration.

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

almost all have, literalllllllllllllllllly

Well it is 50 years latter. Joan Baez is still kicking.

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Mike is selling parking spaces in his back 40 and shuttling people to the concert 

@mead107 will be in charge of parking.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Heard about this but thought they said the original location was going to be used?

Only performers from the original still around are Crosby Stills Nash & Young (Crosby said they haven't discussed doing it but would if Young said they will do it) and Santana I believe.

Actually, the following original performers are still alive and most are still performing:

Canned Heat

The Who

Blood, Sweat and Tears

CSNY

Joan Baez

Santana

Country Joe

John Fogerty (could do CCR tunes)

Dead and Co.

Arlo Guthrie

John Sebastian

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Actually, the following original performers are still alive and most are still performing:

Canned Heat

The Who

Blood, Sweat and Tears

CSNY

Joan Baez

Santana

Country Joe

Dead and Co.

Arlo Guthrie

John Sebastian

I wonder how many of those artists now wear adult diapers?

It's odd having Woodstock in 2019. Rock music in general has died in recent years due to lack of albums sales and streaming services. Not a whole lot of new bands nowadays. I'm sure they'll have plenty of bands, but not alot of current rock bands that blow up radio nowadays 

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I wonder if, in conjunction with that, they will have a 50th anniversary of Altamont as well:

I know, we'll hire Hell's Angels to do security!  What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by KD in CA

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Who, the Guess Who, Yes...

Guess Who and Yes were not at Woodstock.

Incidentally, I think this is a terrible idea and I'm hoping there are some tactful anniversary celebrations in the town of Bethel.  I'd much rather attend those.

Something tells me this thing at Watkins Glen will be filled with Autotune and Millienials.  No, thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Canned Heat

The Who

Blood, Sweat and Tears

CSNY

Joan Baez

Santana

Country Joe

Dead and Co.

Arlo Guthrie

John Sebastian

Canned Heat?? Owl and Bear died ...  :(

Edited by row_33

I am planning to attend as of now. 

I went to the last one (in ‘99) and it was an absolute blast. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Oh man, the stories I could tell... 

I figured there wouldn’t be another one for a long time because of the riots/looting/fires (etc), but always said if they did have another one I’d go for sure. 

One nice thing about going this time - I may actually be able to remember the entire weekend... you know, being 20yrs older and all. The partying definitely won’t be at 1999 levels that’s for sure. I don’t know if I’d survive another ‘99 style Woodstock weekend. lol 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am planning to attend as of now. 

I went to the last one (in ‘99) and it was an absolute blast. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Oh man, the stories I could tell... 

I figured there wouldn’t be another one for a long time because of the riots/looting/fires (etc), but always said if they did have another one I’d go for sure. 

One nice thing about going this time - I may actually be able to remember the entire weekend... you know, being 20yrs older and all. The partying definitely won’t be at 1999 levels that’s for sure. I don’t know if I’d survive another ‘99 style Woodstock weekend. lol 

Ahh, yes.  Three days of rapes, riots and ransacking.  Just like it was meant to be.  That was disgraceful.

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't make the rules, man.  They're Canned Heat and they're touring.

You are sinking real fast here....  any band can copyright a name and perform without the people who wrote and sang all the hits.

Admit defeat and move on, nothing really lost here.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Heard about this but thought they said the original location was going to be used?

There's two celebrations/concerts on the same weekend. One in Bethel at the original site, the other in Watkins, put on by the original promoter (Lang). What'll be interesting is the lineups. Both sites are close enough to 17/I-86 that bands could perform both places if they are allowed to. 

As for me, I was at '99 as a volunteer, wish I had gone to '94. I'm leaning towards Watkins, if I can get in as a volunteer again. 

Lang has been strugling with this for months now. (meaning a location). Bethel was always out. Because there is a 15,000 seat permanent shed there now. A bit too small. 

He has even spoke of tribute bands for original performers, like Janis, Cocker, etc. It's a joke. He talks about having some kind of tent housing. to include a bed, a chair, and a light bulb. Those would not be cheap. Maybe if he adds walkers for orignal 69 fans, it would work.

He will lose money yet again. And film rights will net nothing this time around.

As for CSN or CSN&Y? Not a chance. Crosby is not mentioned in those circles anymore. 

Very few hotels around Watkins Glen. Thus killing Langs dream of a "multi generational"" festival. 

Anyone current is on the road then Foo Fighters in UK. On and on. It's a joke. As for "Canned  Heat" LOL Fito De La Parra is the lone original member the drummer. I have no idea who would pay actual money for three days of that...

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

There's two celebrations/concerts on the same weekend. One in Bethel at the original site, the other in Watkins, put on by the original promoter (Lang). What'll be interesting is the lineups. Both sites are close enough to 17/I-86 that bands could perform both places if they are allowed to. 

As for me, I was at '99 as a volunteer, wish I had gone to '94. I'm leaning towards Watkins, if I can get in as a volunteer again. 

i was going to say WTF - this news came out a few weeks ago - about Bethel.

The Santana drummer was only 12 at Woodstock, or maybe he was 8 years old or maybe 9 months old....  so he is hopefully young enough to play. Last saw him in Gimme Shelter chatting with Jerry and Phil about the bummer going down at Altamont.

I couldn’t get anyone in residence in the mid 1980s to listen for more than a minute to Alan Wilson’s distinct falsetto, but it more saddens me that people are going out there in his name to churn out a buck to this day...

13 hours ago, row_33 said:

You are sinking real fast here....  any band can copyright a name and perform without the people who wrote and sang all the hits.

Admit defeat and move on, nothing really lost here.

I didn't know I was competing.

Canned Heat had five members when they played the original Woodstock.  Two of those members have kept the name, "Canned Heat," alive and continue to tour with it.  Those are irrefutable facts.

Whether you want to respect them or acknowledge them as what Canned Heat is supposed to be in 2019 ... well, that's up to you, my friend.  And your stance would be an opinion.

Boston still tours as Boston.  Brad Delp wrote and sang most of their hits and has been dead for years.

Journey still tours as Journey without Steve Perry, who wasn't an original member, anyway.  They're on their third karaoke lead singer and 97th drummer

Styx ... Foreigner ....still touring with different singers.

Hell, even Fleetwood Mac only has two original members, not including Christie McVay or Stevie Nicks; and they're touring without Lindsey Buckingham, also not original, but a major part of the Nicks/Rumors-era band with respect to songwriting, guitar, lead/backing vocals.

So ... if we were in some sort of competition, admit defeat and move on, nothing really lost here.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:30 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

One of my most vivid memories was was seeing the porta johns overflowing by the 2nd or 3rd day.

We got up there Thursday night and I got home Monday morning around 6 am.  I didn't poop the entire time lol.  Then again with the food and drink prices I didn't spend my money on that and spent it elsewhere... 0:)

It was a fun weekend and have some really good memories but I'm almost 40 and can't spend the entire weekend partying anymore.  My body and more importantly my brain won't allow that to happen anymore lol.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, section122 said:

We got up there Thursday night and I got home Monday morning around 6 am.  I didn't poop the entire time lol.  Then again with the food and drink prices I didn't spend my money on that and spent it elsewhere... 0:)

It was a fun weekend and have some really good memories but I'm almost 40 and can't spend the entire weekend partying anymore.  My body and more importantly my brain won't allow that to happen anymore lol.  

Dude....we're pretty much exactly on the same page. We got up there early Thursday AM. Like 5 or 6, but didn't get in until around 9 or 10. I didn't poop until I got home Monday night and it was one of the worst pains I've ever experienced. Like you I didn't hardly eat the entire time, so I guess it could have been worse. Again like you,  I'm pushing 40, so its probably not something I'd do again unless I could guarantee some decent food, accommodations, and facilities. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Dude....we're pretty much exactly on the same page. We got up there early Thursday AM. Like 5 or 6, but didn't get in until around 9 or 10. I didn't poop until I got home Monday night and it was one of the worst pains I've ever experienced. Like you I didn't hardly eat the entire time, so I guess it could have been worse. Again like you,  I'm pushing 40, so its probably not something I'd do again unless I could guarantee some decent food, accommodations, and facilities. 

Yeah 18 year old me had no problem with it.  I didn't actually realize it until I had a "hard time" when I got home lol.  I have a friend that works at the base so I said I would go again if it was there because I wouldn't have to stay there.  Watkins Glen isn't too far away from me so I could actually do day trips but I've got a kid on the way late June/early July and I don't think my wife would be to keen on the idea.

Last time around I needed to get my parents to say yes.  Now I need to get permission from my wife.  The more things change the more they stay the same!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/9/2019 at 2:54 PM, Gugny said:

Canned Heat

The Who

Blood, Sweat and Tears

CSNY

Joan Baez

Santana

Country Joe

Dead and Co.

Arlo Guthrie

John Sebastian

Have you heard John Sebastian sing lately? His voice is totally shot.