Any “unique” sandwich ingredient combinations?

NoHuddleKelly12

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

Had grilled cheese sammies for dinnah last night.   Fried bologna and ham in a pan first.  American, mozzarella and cheddar cheese with both meats.  Phenomenal.

Never mind ghetto steak a couple of times a year, with onions and webers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

That sounds like something @plenzmd1 would do........

5 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Next tailgate we will have to see if he will try it. ?

ha..must say there is not very many foods/sammys that I cannot envision onions making better..but PB and onion..worth a shot a say

On 12/16/2018 at 8:23 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

An issue of the ‘Old Farmers Almanac’ years ago featured an article about growing, harvesting, and processing horseradish.  The author recounted seeing an elderly neighbour put peanut butter, cheddar, onion, and a healthy dollop of horseradish on a sandwich.  The geezer claimed it warded off most maladies.

And potential love interests ;) 

Just now, Gordio said:

When I was a kid I used to eat a wish sandwich all the time.  That is when you take to pieces bread, slap some mayo on it & wish you had some meat.  We were poor when I was a kid.  

My father talks about his childhood in that manner.  Had to wear socks on his hands in winter because they couldn’t afford gloves.  Family mainly survived by hunting/fishing.  And they ate EVERYTHING!  Haha.  

Needless to say my father still eats mayonnaise sandwiches to this day.  Makes me want to barf.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Gordio said:

When I was a kid I used to eat a wish sandwich all the time.  That is when you take to pieces bread, slap some mayo on it & wish you had some meat.  We were poor when I was a kid.  

52 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My father talks about his childhood in that manner.  Had to wear socks on his hands in winter because they couldn’t afford gloves.  Family mainly survived by hunting/fishing.  And they ate EVERYTHING!  Haha.  

Needless to say my father still eats mayonnaise sandwiches to this day.  Makes me want to barf.

Before I was born, my parents were poor and also hunted for most of their meals.

We never had a ton of money, but definitely not poor. 

Anyway, I used to eat mayo sandwiches as a kid (sometimes nailed them with some ketchup).  I wonder if it's something my parents showed me.  I'll need to ask.

58 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Before I was born, my parents were poor and also hunted for most of their meals.

Anyway, I used to eat mayo sandwiches as a kid (sometimes nailed them with some ketchup).  I wonder if it's something my parents showed me.  I'll need to ask.

@Gugny, this is so much better of a discussion to have with you then talking about the Patriots, lol. Mayo with ketchup goes great as a dip for fries and/or fish sticks! 

2 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Ham and swiss with lettuce, tomato, ranch and honey mustard.

Sesame seed bagel toasted with butter and tomato slices.

Way too normal for this thread! But sound really good nonetheless...

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

Miracle whip (salad dressing) is also a great Mayo alternative, provides a little bit of tangy bite to the flavor. 

8 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Way too normal for this thread! But sound really good nonetheless..

Every time I order that sub the person looks at me like I'm crazy. 

I can't believe I forgot one of my college favorites. Plain ham sandwich with Andy Capp Hot Fries layered on it. That was the shiiiit.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/15/2018 at 2:57 PM, WhoTom said:

As a kid, I ate bologna-and-jelly sandwiches. I don't know what compelled me to make one in the first place, but for some reason I liked the combo. I probably stopped eating them when I decided against a life of celibacy. (Either that or I just realized that they're gross and I was only eating them because it raised eyebrows.)

Today, I like PB&Js, and if we have a bag of tortilla chips that are down to the crumbs, I'll sprinkle in a layer of those. They add a nice texture, and the saltiness enhances the flavor of the PB while it complements the sweetness of the jam. My wife thinks it's a little weird, but so far, so good in the no-celibacy department. ?

Loved bologna and peanut butter as a kid.   Haven't eaten a slice of bologna in at least 30 years.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Loved bologna and peanut butter as a kid.   Haven't eaten a slice of bologna in at least 30 years.

The bologna I bought for my grilled ham/bologna/cheese sammiches was the first bologna I've bought in close to a decade.  It's so good ... and good FOR you, too!

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Miracle whip (salad dressing) is also a great Mayo alternative, provides a little bit of tangy bite to the flavor. 

This is worse than rooting for the Patriots.  It's even worse than dipping wings in ranch dressing.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The bologna I bought for my grilled ham/bologna/cheese sammiches was the first bologna I've bought in close to a decade.  It's so good ... and good FOR you, too!

This is worse than rooting for the Patriots.  It's even worse than dipping wings in ranch dressing.

Ouch Gugny! This is supposed to be a safe space for sandwich weirdness I'll have you know! Might have to kick you out of the tree of trust ;) 

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well then, your upcoming weekend plans are all set! 

• Haha (+1) 1

Smoked Wings at PJ’s Bbq with chipotle ranch awesome.  He talked us into it .   Really really good.  

24 minutes ago, Gugny said:

2 hours ago, PRBills said:

Im disappointed, 3 pages of unique sandwiches and not one single "would ya" reference or sex joke?!

Hey, who hasn't gotten it on with a mayonnaise sandwich at least once before, amiright???

Oh wait - did you mean eating one? Never mind.

(BTW, I made a sex joke on the first page of this thread.)

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

About 20 years ago my friend & I met up for lunch at Dagwoods, which I don't even know if they are still around.  He order a ham sub & when the kid asked him "do you want oil, mayo, or miracle whip on it?" my friend replied "give me all three".  The kid gave him a weird look & said "dam, never heard of that one before."  My friend replied, "why don't you just make my sub wise guy."  MY friend swore that miracle whip gave it a nice kick to it.     

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

About 20 years ago my friend & I met up for lunch at Dagwoods, which I don't even know if they are still around.  He order a ham sub & when the kid asked him "do you want oil, mayo, or miracle whip on it?" my friend replied "give me all three".  The kid gave him a weird look & said "dam, never heard of that one before."  My friend replied, "why don't you just make my sub wise guy."  MY friend swore that miracle whip gave it a nice kick to it.     

You get it--it's mayo jazzed up :) 

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

Your buddy sure showed up that pimple faced sandwich jockey!  ?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Your buddy sure showed up that pimple faced sandwich jockey!  ?

I've had applicants whose resumes showed experience at Subway ... Title:  Sandwich Artist.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I've had applicants whose resumes showed experience at Subway ... Title:  Sandwich Artist.

To their credit, there is a tremendous amount of creativity and artistry involved in the making of every Subway sandwich.  They should be called “Sandwich-agicians.”

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

To their credit, there is a tremendous amount of creativity and artistry involved in the making of every Subway sandwich.  They should be called “Sandwich-agicians.”

Sandwicians.

• Like (+1) 2

subway kinds of skeeves me, other franchises in Canada do it a bit better.

i guess the bothersome thing is (ever) having to stand in line with a guy giving 10 lines of instructions for every extra put on the sandwich

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

bread and butter

and basically any cheese or deli meat

is the greatest

The German side of my family starts every slice of bread with butter, have never seen a different starting point, no matter what comes next. Meats, cheeses, jellies, whatever--except maybe liverwurst, that's its own spread of course.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This begs the question--are hoagies/subs and the like considered a "sandwich" in your book? Or do they deserve their own special category? Also, what is the appropriate term--sub, hoagie, hero?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The German side of my family starts every slice of bread with butter, have never seen a different starting point, no matter what comes next. Meats, cheeses, jellies, whatever--except maybe liverwurst, that's its own spread of course.

This begs the question--are hoagies/subs and the like considered a "sandwich" in your book? Or do they deserve their own special category? Also, what is the appropriate term--sub, hoagie, hero?

I call them subs and I do not think subs and sandwiches are the same thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1