What’s your definition of an alcoholic?

I know a guy who has 2 or 3 dwi's and still drinks daily. He's an alcoholic. I also know guys like the op who I wouldn't consider an alcoholic. I drink alot of soda, probably the equivalent of what some people drink alcohol on a daily basis. I don't think I have a problem, I wouldn't think the daily drinkers do either. Biggest difference is alcohol is a poison, so long term health effects could be greater 

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I know a guy who has 2 or 3 dwi's and still drinks daily. He's an alcoholic. I also know guys like the op who I wouldn't consider an alcoholic. I drink alot of soda, probably the equivalent of what some people drink alcohol on a daily basis. I don't think I have a problem, I wouldn't think the daily drinkers do either. Biggest difference is alcohol is a poison, so long term health effects could be greater 

On the bright side, you dont need to worry about a DUI with soda, but watch out for the dibeetus.

11 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Uh what?

in my late teens till my mid 20s I drank like there was no tomorrow despite being broke. Today, if I drink 10 times a year it’s a lot. And by drink, I mean have one beverage. Sometime in my 30s I decided that I had a problem with alcohol, and just stopped. 

To the OP, if you’re worried about it, it’s time to quit.

I don't think you followed along very well.  Either that, or you don't detect sarcasm well.

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've never blacked out where I don't remember anything.  I've blacked out many times when I was younger but was able to recall everything the next day.  Events may not come immediately but eventually it all comes back.  

I know people that when they drink, that night is a mystery and have no clue what happened.  That would be scary for me.

What the hell does this mean?  Isn't blacking out when you can't recall everything the next day??

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just cracked my first beer of the night..pretty same ritual fro last 20 years..PTI is my trigger!!!!!

Please drink responsibly lol

wasnt that an advertisement or commercial on PTI for years?

It was Red Stipe! Hooray beer

Edited by Buffalo716

By definition, I believe you would be considered/classified as an alcoholic even if you have a just a drink or 2 every day if it is something you do regularly and around the same time. It doesnt necessarily mean it's bad or negatively affecting you or your life though.

But typically, if you feel you need to have a drink you may have a problem.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Please drink responsibly lol

wasnt that an advertisement or commercial on PTI for years?

It was Red Stipe! Hooray beer

haha..yes ! I always record it and then watch about 15 minutes in arrears soi can skip the commercials..but i remember the z"drink responsibly " spot

On 12/13/2018 at 5:02 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

For me it’s not as much quantity but more dependency.  

I drink almost everyday.  Not getting drunk but a few beers or glass or two of liquor.  I get drunk maybe 3 times a year.  Some people would call me an alcoholic...like my parents.  My mom actually denied me a glass of wine on Thanksgiving because of my “drinking problem”.

When I think of an alcoholic, I think of someone who doesn’t have a stopping point.  They drink until the bottle is out or they black out.  It may not happen everyday or week or month....but when they start, they can’t stop.

Tell that to the cops after they pull you over. I’m sure they’d believe you. 

But seriously, be well brother. 

Here is a blast from the past... Wow! So dated!  LoL... But the message never:

On 12/13/2018 at 4:02 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

For me it’s not as much quantity but more dependency.  

I drink almost everyday.  Not getting drunk but a few beers or glass or two of liquor.  I get drunk maybe 3 times a year.  Some people would call me an alcoholic...like my parents.  My mom actually denied me a glass of wine on Thanksgiving because of my “drinking problem”.

When I think of an alcoholic, I think of someone who doesn’t have a stopping point.  They drink until the bottle is out or they black out.  It may not happen everyday or week or month....but when they start, they can’t stop.

Does your body need it? Can you go a whole month without drinking booze.  Then maybe a few every other week...  Then shut it down for another month.

???

I'd say an alcoholic is someone that allows alcohol to get in the way of leading their life.  Do you need a drink before work?  Can't go home to your family without stopping at the bar?  Do you hide alcohol around your office or at home (yes, I know someone who did this)?  Does your family regularly give you a tough time about drinking too much?  These would all be good signs.

Personally, if I'm going out to eat, I will probably have a beer, and I will drink a glass of red wine on weekend nights at home with dinner.  Occasionally I'll have a glass of wine with dinner during the week.  I will rarely have more than 2 drinks a day... maybe once every two or three months, usually at a beer fest or while wine tasting.  I almost never order a cocktail.

I don't like the "go x amount of time without wanting to have a drink" as the test to determine alcohol dependency.  I find it hard to eat good food without a glass of wine... does that now make me an alcoholic?  Likewise, I know of one guy that exhibited every single symptom in the first paragraph, that went without alcohol for a month and then started drinking like a fish again... so he's not an alcoholic?

If you want to strictly talk about alcoholism in terms of quantity, I would say that if you consciously drink to get drunk once a week or more, that's a good sign.

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Here is a blast from the past... Wow! So dated!  LoL... But the message never:

Does your body need it? Can you go a whole month without drinking booze.  Then maybe a few every other week...  Then shut it down for another month.

???

I once dated a girl who didn’t drink so I didn’t either.  One year without a drop of alcohol.

10 hours ago, sullim4 said:

I find it hard to eat good food without a glass of wine... does that now make me an alcoholic? 

That’s a big one.   Water is is fine with lunch but doesn’t cut it for me with most dinner fare.  Beer or wine are key.  

On 12/14/2018 at 6:58 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

Uh what?

in my late teens till my mid 20s I drank like there was no tomorrow despite being broke. Today, if I drink 10 times a year it’s a lot. And by drink, I mean have one beverage. Sometime in my 30s I decided that I had a problem with alcohol, and just stopped. 

To the OP, if you’re worried about it, it’s time to quit.

I can out drink any college kid, then and now.. 

It has been a while, but I love to shotgun a beer with anyone.

I gots a problem.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

34 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I can out drink any college kid, then and now.. 

It has been a while, but I love to shotgun a beer with anyone.

I gots a problem.

Thursday night my wife's office had their holiday party. Afterward, all the young people went out. It was the 26th birthday for one of them, and he somehow managed 26 shots of Fireball over the evening, it has been reported. Needless to say, he took Friday off, and I’d bet it’s a good thing today is Saturday, because that sounds iffy too. 

When I turned 19, somebody was trying to buy me 19 shots of Wild Turkey. I did NOT get there, and I’ve never had any brown liquor since. (In fact, the only liquor I will do is an occasional margarita.) 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I once dated a girl who didn’t drink so I didn’t either.  One year without a drop of alcohol.

Yeah... But was there dependency then?

My definition is all about dependency & withdrawl.  Does the body need it? Can the body feel it? And... When those cues happen can one say: "No."

If a person feels the effects of withdrawl, I would say they are an alcoholic IF they have to relieve those withdrawl symptoms with more alcohol.

A functioning alcky is still an alcky.  I often wonder if alcohol hits some people harder? I have a friend. We go out and have a few drinks. I might feel a buzz while he becomes almost catatonic. I've had servers cut us off seeing him that way. To me he only had a few beers. Unless he's got a fifth stashed away and he's slugging it down when I'm not looking I don't understand how he gets so bad.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A functioning alcky is still an alcky.  I often wonder if alcohol hits some people harder? I have a friend. We go out and have a few drinks. I might feel a buzz while he becomes almost catatonic. I've had servers cut us off seeing him that way. To me he only had a few beers. Unless he's got a fifth stashed away and he's slugging it down when I'm not looking I don't understand how he gets so bad.

Is he on any type of medication?

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think with some... It's like a light switch.  Boom, they are in another gear.  Either higher or lower... But it always goes into low gear eventually.  Alcohol is a depressant afterall.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He had several 'warm ups' before.

I guess part of the question would have to be, if you did a personal challenge of whether or not you could go without for a period of multiple days/weeks (Peter King always talks about doing a sober October for instance) without a drink? How bad would you crave one? Could you even do it? I like what someone else already wrote, does it interfere with (and that should be someone else telling you whether or not it does) the rest of your life in any way? Difficult subject 

Captain Buzzkill here:

https://www.peele.net/lib/sociocul.html

"When one sees a film like Moonstruck, the benign and universal nature of drinking in New York Italian culture is palpable on the screen. If one can't detect the difference between drinking in this setting, or at Jewish or Chinese weddings, or in Greek taverns, and that in Irish working-class bars, or in Portuguese bars in the worn-out industrial towns of New England, or in run-down shacks where Indians and Eskimos gather to get drunk, or in Southern bars where men down shots and beers--and furthermore, if one can't connect these different drinking settings, styles, and cultures with the repeatedly measured differences in alcoholism rates among these same groups, then I can only think one is blind to the realities of alcoholism."

~Peele, S., Diseasing of America, Lexington Books, Lexington, MA, 1989, pp. 72-73.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Does he head the the restroom after a swig off his first beer? 

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok. It’s a typical alcoholic trick. Stash a flask or a couple of those small airline bottles in your pocket. Take one drink and head to the restroom to take a couple hits if the hard stuff. 

I suppose that's the likely explanation.

8 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok. It’s a typical alcoholic trick. Stash a flask or a couple of those small airline bottles in your pocket. Take one drink and head to the restroom to take a couple hits if the hard stuff. 

you got it. My father in law would hide a fifth of vodka in the toilet tank at my house for this very reason. Now that boy was alcoholic.

Edited by plenzmd1

On 12/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, Nextmanup said:

Alcoholism is about an addiction or inability to stop a given level of consumption IMO.

I think the classic meaning of "alcoholic" is someone who is more or less drunk all day long, every day.

IMO:

The first paragraph is partially correct: Not being able or willing to stop ONCE YOU START is a more precise indicater. of course things can get worse from there.

Your second paragraph ("All day, every day") is patently false. Yeah, it often devolves to that, but I am a very productive member of society and have held the same job (a great job - the job I grew up destined for) for 18 years. I am an alcoholic and there is no way i could've kept my job if i did not show up and perform at a high level every day.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, Chef Jim said:

I've struggled with alcohol for a long time.  I don't drink everyday.  I can go a week or weeks without a drink.  My issue is I'm a binge drinker.  I have one and it's on.  So does that make me an alcoholic?  Well I think it's safe to say it is a form of alcoholism.  I would hate to be the person who has to fight the urges everyday. That would be horrible. 

This is where I am.  My wife calls me a binge alcoholic.  I rarely drink during the week which is to say I rarely drink Monday - Friday.  Most weeks I go without a drink during this time frame.  Saturdays most of the time I hit it hard.  There will be Saturdays during Football/basketball season I will go in my basement all day & drink & bet on sports games.  It is my idea of fun I guess.  I never understood the guy that has to have a few drinks at night when they get home from work.  Of course those guys probably don't understand a guy like me that drinks 20 beers on a Saturday so to each their own I guess.  I never miss work(as I don't drink during the week), never miss my kids events, my wife of course is not crazy about my Saturdays but she knows I work hard all week etc...   I never get hung over as I usually stick to beer.  In fact on Sundays I usually get up at 630 & go to the gym & grocery shopping.  My wife has 3 drinks & she is in bed for two days.  That is why she rarely drinks.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/13/2018 at 6:30 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have 2-3 glasses of wine or beers just about every night after the kids go to bed.  I guess if you add it all up I might have 20-25 drinks per week (a few more on weekend nights).  Some might consider me to be an alcoholic I guess.

I guess where I draw that line is whether or not the hooch has a negative impact on your life functioning.  Are you able to wake up and be productive at work?  Are you able to be kind to and provide for your family?  Are you able to have a few drinks without being an *****?  Do you know when is enough?

Alcohol doesn’t negatively impact my life (except for the few extra pounds and the rare mild hangover).  Bottoms up!

this is where my wife and i are at with it too.  i never feel like i need a drink, but we enjoy having a drink together.  after this new year i'm cutting back though.  i don't think there's a problem, but i just don't like the idea of having booze every day healthy wise. that being said, i'm sure i'll still drink 3 nights a week.

10 hours ago, teef said:

this is where my wife and i are at with it too.  i never feel like i need a drink, but we enjoy having a drink together.  after this new year i'm cutting back though.  i don't think there's a problem, but i just don't like the idea of having booze every day healthy wise. that being said, i'm sure i'll still drink 3 nights a week.

Did your gynecologist approve of you cutting back?

6 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

When an 18 pack isn’t enough so you buy. A 30 pack of piss water and drink it all in two days.

I new a guy in college that lived 6 hours from home.  When he would go home, he would buy an 18 pack of Natty Light and drink it on the way home.

He would piss in empty gatorade bottles so he didn't have to pull over as much.

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Did your gynecologist approve of you cutting back?

I new a guy in college that lived 6 hours from home.  When he would go home, he would buy an 18 pack of Natty Light and drink it on the way home.

He would piss in empty gatorade bottles so he didn't have to pull over as much.

That's what we used to do in college on the way home from rugby tourneys!  Five guys in a two-door Chevy Cavalier...some funny angles...

The wife and I usually split a bottle of wine most nights of the week.  I love wine, it's a hobby of sorts.  I don't think it's weird we drink most nights.  If we get home late or have after-work commitments, I don't "need" to open something at 9pm.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  But I was raised to enjoy an adult beverage with food.  I'll try to pass this onto my unborn children.