What’s your definition of an alcoholic?

On 12/15/2018 at 4:28 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Captain Buzzkill here:

https://www.peele.net/lib/sociocul.html

"When one sees a film like Moonstruck, the benign and universal nature of drinking in New York Italian culture is palpable on the screen. If one can't detect the difference between drinking in this setting, or at Jewish or Chinese weddings, or in Greek taverns, and that in Irish working-class bars, or in Portuguese bars in the worn-out industrial towns of New England, or in run-down shacks where Indians and Eskimos gather to get drunk, or in Southern bars where men down shots and beers--and furthermore, if one can't connect these different drinking settings, styles, and cultures with the repeatedly measured differences in alcoholism rates among these same groups, then I can only think one is blind to the realities of alcoholism."

~Peele, S., Diseasing of America, Lexington Books, Lexington, MA, 1989, pp. 72-73.

I don't give a ***** what some soccer player has to say.

• Haha (+1) 1

On December 15, 2018 at 4:28 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Captain Buzzkill here:

https://www.peele.net/lib/sociocul.html

"When one sees a film like Moonstruck, the benign and universal nature of drinking in New York Italian culture is palpable on the screen. If one can't detect the difference between drinking in this setting, or at Jewish or Chinese weddings, or in Greek taverns, and that in Irish working-class bars, or in Portuguese bars in the worn-out industrial towns of New England, or in run-down shacks where Indians and Eskimos gather to get drunk, or in Southern bars where men down shots and beers--and furthermore, if one can't connect these different drinking settings, styles, and cultures with the repeatedly measured differences in alcoholism rates among these same groups, then I can only think one is blind to the realities of alcoholism."

~Peele, S., Diseasing of America, Lexington Books, Lexington, MA, 1989, pp. 72-73.

If you're watching Moonstruck for any reason, you've got a few things to address before booze.

If you're using it as source material you should drink more.

On December 15, 2018 at 12:50 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

A functioning alcky is still an alcky.  I often wonder if alcohol hits some people harder? I have a friend. We go out and have a few drinks. I might feel a buzz while he becomes almost catatonic. I've had servers cut us off seeing him that way. To me he only had a few beers. Unless he's got a fifth stashed away and he's slugging it down when I'm not looking I don't understand how he gets so bad.

I barely ever drink but when I do I feel it real quick...half a beer.  Two beers and no way would I get behind a wheel for hours.  Three and I'm not catatonic, but bombed.  I know resistance is built, but I do think it hits people differently.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:57 PM, DC Tom said:

Denial is a symptom.  The moment you deny being an alcoholic, you're an alcoholic.

Like me.  I'm not an alcoholic.  So I must be.  Even though I don't drink.  But I deny it, so I have a problem.  Or so I've been told...  :wacko:

Yossarian : Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka : You got it, that's Catch-22.

22 minutes ago, ALF said:

Yossarian : Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.

Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka : You got it, that's Catch-22.

The catch 22 is that this trivial crap made a lot of money and he was bitterly trapped in it the rest of his life

13 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I don't drink to have a good time. Indrinknto enhance a good time. 

So it's like MSG or "Accent."

If you put it on sh*t it will taste like "better sh*t?"  That's what usually happens with alcohol and why alcohol fueled events CAN spiral out of control.

If you are having a good time and need to make it better... Something is wrong.

The moment you don’t feel quite right and only alcohol is the only thing that makes you feel normal, you’re an alcoholic.  

If you can make the choice to stop drinking for a week, actually do it from time to time, and don’t feel any adverse affects, you’re not an alcoholic.  Saying you could, but don’t actually do it, doesn’t count.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So it's like MSG or "Accent."

If you put it on sh*t it will taste like "better sh*t?"  That's what usually happens with alcohol and why alcohol fueled events CAN spiral out of control.

If you are having a good time and need to make it better... Something is wrong.

I think it's more like some garlic butter on a steak.

• Haha (+1) 1

The main reason why alcohol is provided at party's, both home and work settings...is because it helps with having a better time.

I won't leave a party if there isn't alcohol but it's a better party with it there.

It's the same with food.  Food makes it better.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The main reason why alcohol is provided at party's, both home and work settings...is because it helps with having a better time.

I won't leave a party if there isn't alcohol but it's a better party with it there.

like George Costanza insisting a TV has to be on when he tries to talk to his parents

6 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I think it's more like some garlic butter on a steak.

200.gif

Just sprinkle a little nicotine & caffeine while you're at it. /smh

H4jW.gif

For some, you never know who, it becomes a game of Russian roulette playing with that "garlic butter."

I am not a teetotaler, but alcohol dependency is the spin of the barrel for many.

On 12/18/2018 at 8:21 AM, WhyteDwarf said:

I feel that any willing self impairment is self destructive.  If you need to drink to "loosen up" or to "have fun", you have a problem IMO. 

god everything about your posting is awful.  i recognize you now too!

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

i'm not going to a party without booze.  if there's no alcohol, it's not a party, it's a retreat.  i'm not getting tricked into that *****.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

200.gif

Just sprinkle a little nicotine & caffeine while you're at it. /smh

H4jW.gif

For some, you never know who, it becomes a game of Russian roulette playing with that "garlic butter."

I am not a teetotaler, but alcohol dependency is the spin of the barrel for many.

Wow a Deer Hunter GIF! That has to be the first one I have seen on the internets

32 minutes ago, teef said:

god everything about your posting is awful.  i recognize you now too!

i'm not going to a party without booze.  if there's no alcohol, it's not a party, it's a retreat.  i'm not getting tricked into that *****.

He reminds me of that guy on BBMB who had the Tyrod avatar and was an engineer.... just remembered it while typing, T-Bomb!

On 12/19/2018 at 4:50 AM, Virgil said:

The moment you don’t feel quite right and only alcohol is the only thing that makes you feel normal, you’re an alcoholic.  

If you can make the choice to stop drinking for a week, actually do it from time to time, and don’t feel any adverse affects, you’re not an alcoholic.  Saying you could, but don’t actually do it, doesn’t count.  

My Moms had a highball every night of the week before dinner..every day of every year she was alive( till she got to sick)...miserable if she did not get her highball. It was her only drink of the night 98% of the time..special occasion she might have a glass of wine with dinner. Never once saw her tipsy, let alone drunk

She was no alcoholic..but damn she needed that drink!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

On 12/19/2018 at 4:50 AM, Virgil said:

Best post of the thread (IMO) regarding the definition of alcoholism.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My ex is an alcoholic and it destroyed her life and ruined our marriage. I don't want to be flippant, but many and most of the scenarios offered in this thread point to a severe problem with alcohol. Most alcoholics, her included, look at the list of signs that one might have a problem with alcohol and point to one that doesn't depict themselves and say, "See, I'm not an alcoholic."

Seriously, if you have ever wondered if you drink too much or someone has told you that you do, seek help and do it now. There is no happy ending if you don't and you will hurt many people that love you.

Ed Van Halen is a pretty well confirmed alcoholic.  He has told a story of being like 10 years old in school, early in the morning, and physically shaking from withdrawal.  The teacher noticed it and was smart enough to realize the kid was an alcoholic.  To make his life a little easier, the teacher told Ed to "go for the clear stuff" and Ed was like "You mean like vodka or something?" and the teacher confirmed.

If you're shaking b/c you need a drink at 9:00am in school, aged 10 or 12, you are probably an alcoholic.

Ed has fought the disease his whole life.  His father was the same.  His brother Alex, as far as I know, did not inherit it.

On 12/25/2018 at 1:17 PM, Nextmanup said:

Ed Van Halen is a pretty well confirmed alcoholic.  He has told a story of being like 10 years old in school, early in the morning, and physically shaking from withdrawal.  The teacher noticed it and was smart enough to realize the kid was an alcoholic.  To make his life a little easier, the teacher told Ed to "go for the clear stuff" and Ed was like "You mean like vodka or something?" and the teacher confirmed.

If you're shaking b/c you need a drink at 9:00am in school, aged 10 or 12, you are probably an alcoholic.

Ed has fought the disease his whole life.  His father was the same.  His brother Alex, as far as I know, did not inherit it.

Why would the clear stuff be any better? 

Today was/is a long drinking day.

Redoing an upstairs bedroom (drywall, some carpentry, the whole shabang). As you know, you must drink while doing home improvement projects. 

Started around 11:00 a.m. and will push through the sabres game. Probably have had one an hour. Made me think of this thread. Cheers 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Redoing an upstairs bedroom (drywall, some carpentry, the whole shabang). As you know, you must drink while doing home improvement projects. 

Started around 11:00 a.m. and will push through the sabres game. Probably have had one an hour. Made me think of this thread. Cheers 

I generally try to be productive when drinking or shortly thereafter unless its during a Bills game in which case it's for celebration or dulling the pain......mostly for dulling the pain. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

well, i spent 3 hours yesterday trying to put a dartboard and cabinet up! Give my son credit, it was a good gift. But being the hipster he is, of course it came from the thrift shop and was prolly 20 years old! But all good! And I had a few pops while I was cussing at the brackets being too small for any freaking molly bolt to work!

• Like (+1) 1