Any Buyer's Remorse From Teams That Drafted QB in Round 1?

Flip Johnson

Am i the only one that feels Jackson is basically Tyrod 2.0? I don't even know his passing numbers, just really based on watching Allen and him in the pass game and he is extremely limited as far as making reads and completing passes. While he has won 3 of 4 games, that's in large part to the defense and his very very good running ability and Greg Roman using his legs to give him very easy reads and throws. Allen needs work but i'd be confident saying he's on another level passing than Jackson , i just think Jackson is that limited...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Josh Rosen making the most of makeshift offensive line

There’s a reason many NFL teams don’t want to play rookie quarterbacks.

But the Cardinals have taken the problems with protecting theirs to a ridiculous extreme.

When left tackle D.J. Humphries was lost for the rest of the season to a knee injury, he became their sixth offensive lineman to go on injured reserve this season. That includes the entire projected starting five on the offensive line, a trend that began when center A.Q. Shipley was lost for the year in a preseason scrimmage.

“We can’t worry about what we don’t have at this time of the year,” Cardinals coach Steve Wilks said, via Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic. “We just have to go out and execute.”

Of course, standing first-round pick Josh Rosen in front of a firing squad of replacement blockers might not be the best plan. Rosen has been sacked 26 times, including 23 in the last seven weeks.

So despite the fact that Shipley, Humphries, Justin Pugh, Mike Iupati, John Wetzel, and Jeremy Vujnovich are on IR, they’re proceeding as best they can. They also cut veteran tackle Andre Smith because he was playing poorly, continuing the revolving door.

For the record, their starting offensive line at the moment is as follows: Seventh-round rookie left tackle Korey Cunningham, sixth-round rookie left guard Colby Gossett (who they signed off the Vikings practice squad), third-round rookie center Mason Cole, journeyman right guard Oday Aboushi, and right tackle Will Holden, a second-year player who was in camp with them, was cut, and was on the Saints’ and Colts’ practice squads this year.

Oh def not denying he has been thrown to the slaughter which is also why I would have some buyers remorse if I was AZ. QB's get ruined getting hit that much and you need to have a pretty progressive scheme to make up for line deficiencies if your QB is to have any hope. Zona has neither there whereas at least Daboll tries to scheme despite his issues which has bought Allen time at points. The other thing is Allen is big you know what size wise and can take hits more then Rosen who has shown some injury issues in the past.

Still a ton of time for Rosen and a lot can change over an offseason, but that looks like a really bad fit unless they switch coach and OC this offseason because he will die again next year. 

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Am i the only one that feels Jackson is basically Tyrod 2.0? I don't even know his passing numbers, just really based on watching Allen and him in the pass game and he is extremely limited as far as making reads and completing passes. While he has won 3 of 4 games, that's in large part to the defense and his very very good running ability and Greg Roman using his legs to give him very easy reads and throws. Allen needs work but i'd be confident saying he's on another level passing than Jackson , i just think Jackson is that limited...

Jackson is a little bigger and just as fast as Tyrod. And Tyrod could go 11-5 with Baltimore's defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'd be worried if I was a Cardinals fan.  Rosen was supposedly the most pro-ready and he's been pretty unimpressive.  As for the OL excuse.. It's not like Allen and Darnold have good lines. Buffalo could very well have 4 new starters on the OL next year. 

The other thing is this offseason Arizona is going to be competing against BUF/NYJ for line help and weapons. If you are a free agent do you want to play with the guy who was killed all season in the desert that has virtually no weapons or go to BUF/NYJ where both have young QB's that have shown some real promise at points that have some pieces on offense that you can join not be the only piece.

If I was a Cards fan I would be incredibly worried. BUF/NYJ could both mimic the Rams/Bears given each have a bit to work with on offense, I would not have much faith with the GM issues, coach uncertainty, and overall lack of talent across the board that my team can fix that much.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

But the Cardinals have taken the problems with protecting theirs to a ridiculous extreme.

When left tackle D.J. Humphries was lost for the rest of the season to a knee injury, he became their sixth offensive lineman to go on injured reserve this season. That includes the entire projected starting five on the offensive line, a trend that began when center A.Q. Shipley was lost for the year in a preseason scrimmage.

“We can’t worry about what we don’t have at this time of the year,” Cardinals coach Steve Wilks said, via Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic. “We just have to go out and execute.”

Of course, standing first-round pick Josh Rosen in front of a firing squad of replacement blockers might not be the best plan. Rosen has been sacked 26 times, including 23 in the last seven weeks.

So despite the fact that Shipley, Humphries, Justin Pugh, Mike Iupati, John Wetzel, and Jeremy Vujnovich are on IR, they’re proceeding as best they can. They also cut veteran tackle Andre Smith because he was playing poorly, continuing the revolving door.

For the record, their starting offensive line at the moment is as follows: Seventh-round rookie left tackle Korey Cunningham, sixth-round rookie left guard Colby Gossett (who they signed off the Vikings practice squad), third-round rookie center Mason Cole, journeyman right guard Oday Aboushi, and right tackle Will Holden, a second-year player who was in camp with them, was cut, and was on the Saints’ and Colts’ practice squads this year.

Stans for Rosen and Taylor.  

Won’t Stan for Allen ?    

But why ? 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No he doesn't. He has the worst OL that has been decimated by injury and no weapons besides David Johnson and Fitz. Chritian Kirk is out for the season BTW. 

They got a pretty crappy Oline...but ill tell you we got a pretty crappy oline too. On par with the Cardinals. 

If Rosen played on this team hed be a corpse. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Read my posts on Allen and you won't ask questions or make declarations based on falsehoods.  Know don't think. 

You’re not Daniel Jeremiah, I don’t need a bibliography of your bad takes ?

Sorry for asking.    Rosen and Taylor are clearly better QBs that wobbly balls Allen 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

You’re not Daniel Jeremiah, I don’t need a bibliography of your bad takes ?

Sorry for asking.    Rosen and Taylor are clearly better QBs that wobbly balls Allen 

You are posting your typical useless drivel with Taylor included of course. Your crusade is tired and boring. 

6 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

They got a pretty crappy Oline...but ill tell you we got a pretty crappy oline too. On par with the Cardinals. 

I'd take the Bills' OL over theirs every time as bad as it is. 

2 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

Who, if any, of the five teams who drafted rookie QBs in the first round are experiencing some buyer's remorse and/or paranoia that they might have messed up?

I'm granting that none of the rookie QBs are finished products or lost causes and that they could all benefit from more weapons, better offensive infrastructure, etc.

I think the consensus right now would be:

1. I think Browns fans feel mostly great about Mayfield and are just excited about the 2019 coaching staff and how Mayfield could continue to develop. 

2. Jets fans feel semi-optimistic about Sam Darnold, but are more than a little concerned with his penchant to turn the ball over along with the possibility that maybe they should have taken Josh Allen instead.

3. Bills fans have a touch of fear from the past twenty years, but in general, feel really optimistic that JA is a budding superstar.

4. Arizona fans are hoping for weapons, coaching, etc., but have to be wondering if they really messed up on the Rosen pick. Fear level should be high here as he just doesn't seem to have the physicality or the playmaking ability anywhere near the other four QBs.

5. Don't know how Baltimore fans couldn't feel great about Lamar Jackson. Sustainability is a long term question but he has given them a spark and an identity.

Side note: I am THRILLED the Pats did not draft Jackson. 

Additional note: The teams that put off the QB search like the Pats or the teams that middled it with later round picks (Giants with Lauletta, Steelers with Rudolph, Jaguars with Tanner Lee) have a lot to think about, because those look like wasted picks at this point, and there search for the future has not progressed.

Arizona din't mess up the Rosen pick, they wanted Allen and settled for Rosen

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

FWIW, according to Football Outsiders, here's how the rookie QB's respective OLs rank:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Mayfield (Cle) - 21st in adjusted line yards, 19th in adjusted sack rate

Darnold (NJJ) - 30th in adjusted line yards, 13th in adjusted sack rate

Allen (Buf) - 29th in adjusted line yards, 27th in adjusted sack rate

Rosen (Ari) - 20th in adjusted line yards, 20th in adjusted sack rate

Jackson (Bal) - 11th in adjusted line yards, 5th in adjusted sack rate

By their numbers, Allen is working with the worst OL, and Jackson is working with the best.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

FWIW, according to Football Outsiders, here's how the rookie QB's respective OLs rank:

By their numbers, Allen is working with the worst OL, and Jackson is working with the best.

It is true that Rosen has had the most injuries to his front 5 but it's hard to argue that Buffalo's line is better than Arizona's.  Allen gets pressured more than any other QB, not only do the stats back that up in many metrics but all we have to do is see for ourselves, Allen literally drops back, looks looks and BAM!!! Pass pressure comes in.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That is Ruff!

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

100% agreed, I cant believe people think he is a decent passer. I have yet to see throws out of him like we have seen out of Allen. Yes Allen is still playing "backyard football." However he has also made some big league impressive throws when given time in the pocket. Jackson only throws to wide open guys and usually after moving the pocket around.

I also dont understand how some think Jackson has limited supporting cast. He has the next best running game after Mayfield to support him... And John Brown, Snead, and Crabtree to throw to.

47 minutes ago, Magox said:

It is true that Rosen has had the most injuries to his front 5 but it's hard to argue that Buffalo's line is better than Arizona's.  Allen gets pressured more than any other QB, not only do the stats back that up in many metrics but all we have to do is see for ourselves, Allen literally drops back, looks looks and BAM!!! Pass pressure comes in.

The sad part is, is you are 100% correct yet people still go "Allen needs to stop running!" Lol his biggest hits have come from being in the pocket (including his injury)

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Arizona din't mess up the Rosen pick, they wanted Allen and settled for Rosen

This is a fact that often gets ignored when comparing the two QB's - especially in Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Agree 100% with this.  BOTH Rosen AND Allen have been dumped into bad offensive situations. But to suggest that Rosn's supporting cast on offense is substantially worse then Allen's seems crazy to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

I think Mayfield is the best of the class at this point and it will be on their front office to maximize his talents with a good coaching staff. He has a good supporting cast thanks to all those low finishes the Browns have had. Darnold will be a good one as well, but the same will hold true for him depending on what the Jets do in the off season. Rosen is on a bad team right now, worse than the Bills or Jets and while I doubt Wilks goes one and done, if things don't get better next year, they may also be shaking things up next year

Edmunds is a boy in a man's body. He's playing a difficult position at 20 years of age. It also wouldn't surprise me if he's hitting the rookie wall as well. He should be much better next year with a full year of film study and NFL strength and conditioning. I do like what I've seen from Allen, but am also realistic. He does seem to have more between the ears than JP or EJ which hopefully means he can develop and be coached out of bad habits. Now to be fair, Trent Edwards had more brain power than those other two guys and washed out. But I'd like to think Allen has more mental toughness than Trent. Trent had potential, bit the hits and the Ints got in his head. We need to remember where Allen came from also, Wyoming is not a big time school program compared to the other guys.  The fact that he's gotten this far has made me take more notice.

Josh strikes me as the opposite of Trentative.  He welcomes contact, bounces up and grins. I'm very optimistic for JA but he'll still require tons of help to continue this trajectory of his development. 

I would be happy with anyone of the 5 right now.  Each one has a number of strengths each team can build off of.

it all comes down to which one can flip some of their Scouting Report flags to positives.

One area I like with Darnold and Rosen is they seemingly fit the mold closer to the type of QB that is usually in or winning the Super Bowls.  Strictly Pocket Passers with limited mobility.

just need better lines to protect them.

Guest Mike147

I'd say it's too early to have buyers remorse at this stage. These quarterbacks all came into the league with a learning curve that they would need to follow to become the quarterback they were being tipped to be. Baker Mayfield looks like a budding star and so does Josh Allen. Obviously I still have concerns over Josh Allen's accuracy and ability to develop into a prolific passer, but if his career is going to mirror Cam Newton's, then being accurate and prolific like Drew Brees is not a requirement when you can hurt teams with that dual threat ability. Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen have both blown hot and cold, but the potential is there for them to become good quarterbacks, after all Jared Goff looked very similar to them in his rookie season and we all know how he has turned out. Of the five, the one I'd be most concerned about is Lamar Jackson and that's because he's currently showing that he's a running quarterback. In his first career start he attempted more runs (26) than passes (19), and since then he has averaged 13 rushing attempts per game. Sure the guy has a ton of athleticism and they like to utilise that aspect of his game, but he's running way too much and relying too much on that side of his game because he's not getting it done as much as a passer. If he continues as he does it's only a matter of time before someone of his size gets hurt. 

So like I said, at this stage it's too early to have buyer's remorse, but I'd say all the teams in question will be happy with their selections, but some of them more than others. 

I think Cleveland is ecstatic about Mayfield and is having no regrets.

I suspect both Buffalo & the Jets are optimistic about their QB selections and with good reason.

I figure that the Ravens are still trying to figure out how they would use Jackson as a QB over the next 5 years. 

My guess is that only Arizona may be having 2nd thoughts.  First we know they made a strong bid to get Allen.  And my concern with Rosan wouldn't be so much his on field production, given that he's playing in a very bad offense, my concern would be that I'm not seeing the intangibles (leadership, grit & making those around him better) that would suggest he'll be a top level QB in the way I've seen them out of both Allen & Darnold.  

But then again 2 years from now we may be having a completely different discussion as we're still very early in the careers of all these guys.

Guest Mike147
4 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I would be happy with anyone of the 5 right now.  Each one has a number of strengths each team can build off of.

it all comes down to which one can flip some of their Scouting Report flags to positives.

One area I like with Darnold and Rosen is they seemingly fit the mold closer to the type of QB that is usually in or winning the Super Bowls.  Strictly Pocket Passers with limited mobility.

just need better lines to protect them.

The one that concerns me is Lamar Jackson. How sustainable is his style of play even in today's NFL? 

He's not the biggest guy on the field and he's running the ball on average 13 times per game over his last three starts, and in his first start averaged more runs than pass attempts. If he doesn't improve as a passer and become more of a passer, and continues to be a running quarterback, it is only a matter of time before the kid will get hurt. Running quarterbacks don't last very long in this league. So although he's an exciting talent, he's the type of talent they are going to have to work with if he's going to have a long NFL career, and they'll also have to hope that Lady Luck is on their side when it comes to avoiding injury. 

I doubt any team is having buyer remorse as its just too soon, however I would bet money the two teams the most confident in their picks are Browns and Bills.  I would also bet if there was a redraft today, Browns still take Mayfield and Jets take Allen, And honestly I think Giants would now take Allen over Barkley after seeing how bad Eli has been.  I am sure Giants have no remorse for taking Barkley, but if there was a redraft, I bet the Giants would take Allen instead.  Barkley is insanely talented, so no guarantee they would, but QB is more important than RB so I would think they would go Allen over Barkley if they redrafted.  

I think the rookie thats been thats been the most disappointing of the 5 QBs is Rosen.  He was supposed to be "most pro ready" which is the same nonsense rhetoric that made SF take Smith over Rodgers.  Rosen has a few flashes, but he's been pretty lackluster.  And he doesn't seem to really get anyone else going around him.  Im sure AZ is NOT having buyers remorse as its way too early, especially since only Lamar was still on the board when they picked.  But Rosen to me has been the least impressive.

By far the two most impressive are Mayfield and Allen and since Allens return from injury the gap has got a lot narrower.  I honestly think McD, Beane, and Daboll are giddy when they watch Allen on film these last three games.  The speed, the escapability, the big arm, the way he stands tall and takes a big hit to deliver a strike, his leadership, etc...sooooo much to be excited about.  He is far from a finished product of course, but man they have to be excited about building around this kid.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

For me Rosen actually looks the worst. He possibly has the best weapons and their offense just looks pathetic. Like ours the first half of the season lol only it’s been all year for them. 

Right now I think we’d kill to see allen with a washed up Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk with David Johnson 

Fitz had over 100 catches the last few years and over 1,000 yards too with suspect at best QB play.  It could be him slowing down but it could also be the rook behind a bad line.  I think Fitz still has it, he just isn't on a good offense with a solid QB.  That guy makes every catch two hands or one no problem still.  Don't disrespect the HOFer by looking at his stats and coming to conclusion that he's slowing down.  He's still only 35.  Remember how long Jerry Rice played...

23 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Fitz had over 100 catches the last few years and over 1,000 yards too with suspect at best QB play.  It could be him slowing down but it could also be the rook behind a bad line.  I think Fitz still has it, he just isn't on a good offense with a solid QB.  That guy makes every catch two hands or one no problem still.  Don't disrespect the HOFer by looking at his stats and coming to conclusion that he's slowing down.  He's still only 35.  Remember how long Jerry Rice played...

He’s slowed down a bunch. But of course he still runs elite routes and has elite hands, wed kill to have some with his skill set even in his twilight years. I wasn’t throwing shade at him, it was a compliment he’s still a viable weapon. Maybe washed up was a little disrespectful lol.. let’s go with twilight of his career 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is a fact that often gets ignored when comparing the two QB's - especially in Buffalo. 

Agree 100% with this.  BOTH Rosen AND Allen have been dumped into bad offensive situations. But to suggest that Rosn's supporting cast on offense is substantially worse then Allen's seems crazy to me. 

Especially when he has David Johnson and a future first ballot HOF in Larry Fitzgerald

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s slowed down a bunch. But of course he still runs elite routes and has elite hands, wed kill to have some with his skill set even in his twilight years. I wasn’t throwing shade at him, it was a compliment he’s still a viable weapon. Maybe washed up was a little disrespectful lol.. let’s go with twilight of his career 

Better haha.  I just have an appreciation for guys who dedicate themselves so much.  He defines what it means to be a football player.  It's not about smashing the other guy, it's about working the hardest.  We'd certainly kill to have a player like that.  It'll never happen in a hundred years but I think it'd be smart to see if Fitz is on the block. Would do wonders for a young cast of wide outs.

6 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

Who, if any, of the five teams who drafted rookie QBs in the first round are experiencing some buyer's remorse and/or paranoia that they might have messed up?

I'm granting that none of the rookie QBs are finished products or lost causes and that they could all benefit from more weapons, better offensive infrastructure, etc.

I think the consensus right now would be:

1. I think Browns fans feel mostly great about Mayfield and are just excited about the 2019 coaching staff and how Mayfield could continue to develop. 

2. Jets fans feel semi-optimistic about Sam Darnold, but are more than a little concerned with his penchant to turn the ball over along with the possibility that maybe they should have taken Josh Allen instead.

3. Bills fans have a touch of fear from the past twenty years, but in general, feel really optimistic that JA is a budding superstar.

4. Arizona fans are hoping for weapons, coaching, etc., but have to be wondering if they really messed up on the Rosen pick. Fear level should be high here as he just doesn't seem to have the physicality or the playmaking ability anywhere near the other four QBs.

5. Don't know how Baltimore fans couldn't feel great about Lamar Jackson. Sustainability is a long term question but he has given them a spark and an identity.

Side note: I am THRILLED the Pats did not draft Jackson. 

Additional note: The teams that put off the QB search like the Pats or the teams that middled it with later round picks (Giants with Lauletta, Steelers with Rudolph, Jaguars with Tanner Lee) have a lot to think about, because those look like wasted picks at this point, and there search for the future has not progressed.

I dont think Rudolph will end up being a wasted pick.

6 hours ago, corta765 said:

Agreed with this. Rosen has yet to have a breakout moment and is in by far the worst support system of all of them. Every other QB I could list a game or two (if not more) where they lit it up for a bit or elevated their play where they dominated, I haven't seen that from Josh and I wanted him. Part of the problem is their offensive scheme was garbage and even with Larry they lack playmakers minus Christian Kirk who is injured or David Johnson who is improperly used.

Rosen is going to lose Fitzgerald possibly this offseason and if they do not fire the coach I don't have much faith he will amount to much.

Im not a big Rosen guy but I think his Oline may be worse than ours.

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I f thats true then they have some serious depth.

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No he doesn't. He has the worst OL that has been decimated by injury and no weapons besides David Johnson and Fitz. Chritian Kirk is out for the season BTW. 

Our OL is worse.  Just because our guys are mostly our starters from the beginning of the year doesn’t mean they’re any better.  They’re not.  They’re terrible and playing worse than the cardinals OL.  As far as weapons..... David Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk or shady, the lantern KB and Zay Jones?  I’ll go with the cards playmakers over ours.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Our OL is worse.  Just because our guys are mostly our starters from the beginning of the year doesn’t mean they’re any better.  They’re not.  They’re terrible and playing worse than the cardinals OL.  As far as weapons..... David Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk or shady, the lantern KB and Zay Jones?  I’ll go with the cards playmakers over ours.

Incorrect!

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Incorrect!

Sure I am 

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yes you are. Watch Cardinals games and get back.  

I’ve watched 3 cardinal games.  Sucks for them that they’re QBs are stuck in the mud and can’t run.  Put Rosen in there for Allen and we’d see a different product.  Like Tyrod did, Allen makes the OL look better. The stats are there.  Read them then get back to me.  

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ve watched 3 cardinal games.  Sucks for them that they’re QBs are stuck in the mud and can’t run.  Put Rosen in there for Allen and we’d see a different product.  Like Tyrod did, Allen makes the OL look better. The stats are there.  Read them then get back to me.  

I don't need to read the stats that are determined by a number of different factors. Which Arizona Offensive Lineman would start for the Bills?  Not a single one of them. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't need to read the stats that are determined by a number of different factors. What Arizona Offensive Lineman would start for the Bills?  Not a single one of them. 

Why would none of them start?  Do you see who our OLmen are?  All bums.  But our bums are better than theirs?  Dawkins is our best OL and he’s terrible.  You also realize that an OL coach can help these guys get better.  Our OL coach doesn’t. He’s worse than our OLmen.  That’s matters and is a reason that our Ol is playing worse than theirs. 

• Like (+1) 1