Dolphins 21 Bills 17 Postgame Thread

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Where do you back this statement up?

why do NFL QB s try to avoid open field hits while running?

it isn’t even arguable that scrambling is riskier than being an honest pocket NFL QB

For sure, but every time he takes off it’s asking for the end of his career

stick it out another second and throw it away if you have to

and don’t send him out on naked bootlegs unless its at the one

as he gets more experience and  better players around him he will spend more time in the pocket, but his legs are a big part of his game

12 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

The immutable laws of physics dictate that if he's running down the field, and a defensive player is running toward him, and they collide, the probability of injury is greater (way greater) than JA standing in the pocket and getting sacked. LOL

The injury that took him of three games was in the pocket. Alex Smith just was put out for the season standing in the pocket. QBs are pretty vulnerable in the pocket. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Where do you back this statement up?

why do NFL QB s try to avoid open field hits while running?

it isn’t even arguable that scrambling is riskier than being an honest pocket NFL QB

Josh is avoiding the open field hits on his runs

In the pocket Qb's are totally exposed and vulnerable.

Think of the major QB injuries we remember through history.

For every 1 Robert Griffin example there are 6 Brady's (pocket), Rodgers (pocket), Mannings (pocket), Palmer (pocket)

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The lifespan of QBs who run in a panic is way shorter 

its no way to thrive in the NFL

oh yeah maybe you have one name in the top 100 QBs in history....

I didn’t see Allen running in panic.

I saw him drop back and either, a- if the pressure was coming, elude it and take off if daylight was there. b- drop back and if saw nobody open, take off if he saw room to run.

I like that.

2 hours ago, par73 said:

What about Jones? Shouldn't he have secured that ball at the five?

I believe he would have caught that pass, had the defender not had is arms wrapped around him. Horrible non-call. Why does it seem the officiating gets worse as the season goes on. Maybe the Ref's need a bye week in their contract.

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

For every 1 Robert Griffin example there are 6 Brady's (pocket), Rodgers (pocket), Mannings (pocket), Palmer (pocket)

Could this possibly be because ALL of these QBs you cite....as well as most other QBs....do NOT even think about running for 100 yards per game? Put another way, they spend 75-90% of their time behind the line of scrimmage.

Just now, John in Jax said:

Could this possibly be because ALL of these QBs you cite....as well as most other QBs....do NOT even think about running for 100 yards per game? Put another way, they spend 75-90% of their time behind the line of scrimmage.

just examples.

Cite the running examples please then?  Robert Griffin annnnnnnnddddd?

Oh and how did Josh Allen get hurt this year? In the pocket

Some are also comparing slight, skinny legged players (RG3) to a country -strong JA. Theres a difference out there.

1 minute ago, John in Jax said:

most qbs dont have the athletic ability to run for 100 yards

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They weren't going to the playoffs for anyone who was being realistic.

I never said they were but to still be alive until week 16 or 17 would have been nice. This sucks. And the way they lost today was sickening. Should just be able to win games like today. Not just find 5 different ways to lose

50 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Who remembers Kyle Rote Jr from the old Superstars competition.  Turns out he's related

After all, he was the son of legendary New York Giants wide receiver Kyle Rote and the cousin once removed former NFL quarterback Tobin Rote, who starred for the Green Bay Packers, Detroit Lions, San Diego Chargers and Denver Broncos.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/feb/24/the-forgotten-story-of-kyle-rote-jr-americas-first-soccer-superstar

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Josh is just a special player God what this kid could do with the Chiefs talent or at the very least a competent tight end 

Croom should have been in at the end of the game but clay. Clay, shady, ivory, offensive line have to go! How wr not the weakest position anymore on offense? It’s insane. Great to watch Allen do his thing.

16 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I never said they were but to still be alive until week 16 or 17 would have been nice. This sucks. And the way they lost today was sickening. Should just be able to win games like today. Not just find 5 different ways to lose

All youre doing is pushing the disappointment a few weeks down the line. 

25 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

That’s the formula for winning in the NFL,  with a few exceptions

college plays the option game at the highest levels, with a few exceptions 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Lots of hits on Josh in the pocket that inexplicably didn’t get a flag, Zay gets tackled trying to make the catch, and lots of other questionable things played a huge role in the loss. But I liked the way Allen stepped up. That’s FAR more important than gettinga W this week. It’s hard to express how much more important. He was far from perfect, but he showed a LOT of positives. I’m good with that for now. He’ll grow into the job, and that’s all that matters this year. 

People are (rightly) saying he shouldn't run so much. But he barely got hit on any of his runs. I can only remember one. He will likely get hurt throwing from the pocket like he did earlier in the year than running. He ran extremely smart and well today.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Putin said:

Clay & KB are TRASH 

I refuse to even say thier names again.  Neither if these guys are even trying!   The drops and lazy routes are just pathetic.  How the coaches can cut players over "attitude" and allow these guys to see the field is a slap in the face to guys like Zay Jones and Josh Allen who ae clealry playing their ***** off to try and win.

Add to the complete incompetence of this recieving/TE core, referees that just have to be on the take and it makes game all but unwatchable.  I refuse to thing that the refs are just this bad.  There is absolutely no way professionals can be this bad at their job.   And its not just agains the Bills, so this is not a Billsgot jobbed rant. This is leaguewide.  Either the league is showing favoritism to certain teams or they're fixing games for Vegas; but professional referees just can not pissibly be this bad all on their own.  

I was truly inpressed with Allen.  I think we got a genuine franchise QB in the making.    Cut every WR and TE not named Zay and Foster.  Improve the OLine, and find out how much Pegs has to pay for a ref or two and we're definitely on to something next year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1. Despite the injury-induced crater that swallowed up a big portion of his season, Ryan Tannehill and the Dolphins' talented receiver corps continue to do just enough to keep them in the AFC playoff chase. Against the Bills, DeVante Parker and Kenny Stills played valuable roles in helping the Dolphins (6-6) find some consistency on offense. Parker had arguably his best game of the season, hauling in four catches for 43 yards and a touchdown. Stills helped out with four catches for 37 yards -- the last of which was an incredible 13-yard TD grab in double coverage that had interception written all over it until Stills sliced through a web of hands and arms to make the catch. Tannehill posted mostly pedestrian numbers, but if he can continue to find his two talented pass-catchers -- and everyone stays healthy -- maybe the Dolphins can emerge as an AFC playoff Cinderella over a final stretch of games that includes contests against the Minnesota Vikings and New England Patriots.

2. Move over, Lamar Jackson. Big-armed Josh Allen might be the best rookie rushing quarterback in the NFL. Allen had a mixed passing performance for the Bills (4-8), but he torched Miami for a team-best 135 yards on the ground. Allen's draft-day selling point was his ability to fling bombs, but he's developed quite a reputation as an elusive runner. In his second game back from an elbow sprain that had him sidelined for a month, Allen looked confident flinging the ball -- even when he shouldn't have been. He threw two interceptions, but his knack for going bold paid off with some nice passes. His 25-yard laser through three defenders to Zay Jones for a touchdown in the fourth quarter was simply beautiful. However, he missed a wide open Charles Clay in the end zone on their final offensive play to seal the Bills' fate. Buffalo's 13 penalties for 120 yards certainly didn't help the cause.

3. Xavien Howard isn't just that guy who thinks DeAndre Hopkins pushes off. The third-year corner is emerging as a true pass coverage phenom capable of being the NFL's next true pick-off artist. Howard had two interceptions for the second straight game, giving him seven picks on the season -- a bright spot for a Miami defense that has struggled mightily against the pass this season. Howard's two interceptions played a key role in taming Buffalo's offensive machine, which gave the Dolphins just enough breathing room. The Dolphins' struggles on defense are real, but they have a real star in Howard.
-- Austin Knoblauch

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

People are (rightly) saying he shouldn't run so much. But he barely got hit on any of his runs. I can only remember one. He will likely get hurt throwing from the pocket like he did earlier in the year than running. He ran extremely smart and well today.

It takes only once.... EJ did it a lot and took a needless hit on his knee in preseason against the freakin Browns

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The “smart” part is key. Russell Wilson is tiny in comparison, but if you know when to slide (and HOW to slide - yeah, I’m talking to you EJ the sliding giraffe) or step OB rather than take the hit, out in space can be safer than the pocket. BIG improvement! Just last week he tried to get a meaningless extra yard rather than step OB. He took a hard fall on his shoulder as a result of the hit. He apparently learned from that, which is a GREAT sign. 

Keep learning and growing, young man! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It takes only once.... EJ did it a lot and took a needless hit on his knee in preseason against the freakin Browns

Of course. But IMO if he never ran he would have as much more of a chance of getting hurt standing in the pocket on those 9 plays and getting crushed a bunch of times than when he takes off running. QBs get hurt because their leg is planted and then they get hit low, or someone rolls into their leg when under a strong rush. Josh is bigger and just as tough as most running backs. RG3 ran too much because he was a pencil thin reckless guy who was an injury waiting to happen in the NFL. Josh is a freak. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1. Despite the injury-induced crater that swallowed up a big portion of his season, Ryan Tannehill and the Dolphins' talented receiver corps continue to do just enough to keep them in the AFC playoff chase. Against the Bills, DeVante Parker and Kenny Stills played valuable roles in helping the Dolphins (6-6) find some consistency on offense. Parker had arguably his best game of the season, hauling in four catches for 43 yards and a touchdown. Stills helped out with four catches for 37 yards -- the last of which was an incredible 13-yard TD grab in double coverage that had interception written all over it until Stills sliced through a web of hands and arms to make the catch. Tannehill posted mostly pedestrian numbers, but if he can continue to find his two talented pass-catchers -- and everyone stays healthy -- maybe the Dolphins can emerge as an AFC playoff Cinderella over a final stretch of games that includes contests against the Minnesota Vikings and New England Patriots.

2. Move over, Lamar Jackson. Big-armed Josh Allen might be the best rookie rushing quarterback in the NFL. Allen had a mixed passing performance for the Bills (4-8), but he torched Miami for a team-best 135 yards on the ground. Allen's draft-day selling point was his ability to fling bombs, but he's developed quite a reputation as an elusive runner. In his second game back from an elbow sprain that had him sidelined for a month, Allen looked confident flinging the ball -- even when he shouldn't have been. He threw two interceptions, but his knack for going bold paid off with some nice passes. His 25-yard laser through three defenders to Zay Jones for a touchdown in the fourth quarter was simply beautiful. However, he missed a wide open Charles Clay in the end zone on their final offensive play to seal the Bills' fate. Buffalo's 13 penalties for 120 yards certainly didn't help the cause.

3. Xavien Howard isn't just that guy who thinks DeAndre Hopkins pushes off. The third-year corner is emerging as a true pass coverage phenom capable of being the NFL's next true pick-off artist. Howard had two interceptions for the second straight game, giving him seven picks on the season -- a bright spot for a Miami defense that has struggled mightily against the pass this season. Howard's two interceptions played a key role in taming Buffalo's offensive machine, which gave the Dolphins just enough breathing room. The Dolphins' struggles on defense are real, but they have a real star in Howard.
-- Austin Knoblauch

Gotta love writers - That darn ill-advised Hail Mary INT Oh Noooooooo!

1 hour ago, John in Jax said:

Wut? HE GOT LUCKY today. Surely you realize that the more often he runs, the probability of him getting hurt increases greatly? It will only be a matter of time before some linebacker, or even worse, some defensive lineman, coming up from behind, cleans his clock.  Finally, obviously, there's NO WAY to guarantee that he won't get hammered/killed/injured.

He's as big as linebackers. He's not going to get hurt being hit by a linebacker 10 yards down the field versus five yards behind the line if he doesn't run. I think it's a ridiculous argument.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

The lifespan of QBs who run in a panic is way shorter 

its no way to thrive in the NFL

oh yeah maybe you have one name in the top 100 QBs in history....

He's huge though. He's bigger than most RBs. They run 20 times a game and a few get hurt. Josh has much more chance of being hurt in the pocket IMO than running. He barely got touched today running.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

He's huge though. He's bigger than most RBs. They run 20 times a game and a few get hurt. Josh has much more chance of being hurt in the pocket IMO than running. He barely got touched today running.

His elbow injury came on a standard throw from the pocket. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

His elbow injury came on a standard throw from the pocket. 

Actually somewhat of a freak play in the pocket. I remember when RG3 came into the league and started running all over I thought that dude is going to get on IR quick. He's got stick legs and he runs reckless. When Russell Wilson came into the league and started running I thought the exact opposite. If you look at that guy he is built like a tank. He isnt going to get hurt running. Even Tyrod I rarely worried he was going to get hurt running any more than he would staying in the pocket (which is when these guys get hurt). Tyrod is extremely well built and strong. He's the exact same size as a lot of RB in the league, like 6'1" 215. Josh is not only huge but country strong.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Putin said:

Most ? I would say few !!

Yeah, I suppose I meant specifically the new guys they are trying to build the team with. Allen, Edmunds, Tre, Milano, Zay, etc. The roster core is taking shape moving forward, it seems. 

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Even when he finished the first quarter 1/5 for -6 yards? Are you sure he was good ALL game?

His start was as wobbly as his passes. But he got better over the course of the game, just as he seems to get better over the course of the season. Not a direct line, but the trend is good, and I like what I’m seeing. I was a hopeful skeptic, but I admit he’s slowly winning me over, despite a long path ahead.