LeVeon Bell: What better fit for him than Buffalo?

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

No you can't. Occasionally a team will get lucky but you won't find a back that gets 1,000 yards on the ground and 1,000 yards in the air. You'll have a hard time finding anyone close. Bell still got lots of tread on them tires. Our offense would improve vastly, especially for Allen. Dump the ball off to Bell 100 times a year and that easily gives Allen 1,000 yards + passing.

Dude they proved it this year with his replacement.  Conner- 700k vs. Bell- 16 mil.  Aint even close

I'd make the move to add him...if this were fantasy football which is what I believe prompts observations like this. 

From a resource allocation perspective I wouldn't consider sinking so much into the RB position.  The positional value, even for a currently top level back, is not sufficient to warrant the investment.

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Could be a part of it, but still. Bell is like having a 1,000 rusher and a 1,000 yard receiver in one player. That equates to Buffalo getting more yards, which we desperately need.

And still no, his best year was 800 rec yards.  I feel like you only watch his highlights on sports center.... when he was playing

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Let's say we finish 8-8, Allen plays great to finish the season. Buffalo looks like a team that is going to compete for a long time. We would suddenly become an attractive destination for many FAs. We also have a ton of cap space to work with and our offense lacks a playmaker. Why not Bell? Give him what he wants, Buffalo now has the best RB in the NFL. Build that OL in the draft and free agency. Buffalo adds a guy that regularly puts up 2,000 all purpose yards a season. Hopefully Zay and Foster continue to develop alongside Allen and I  could definitely see us making a playoff push. Bell gets a 4 year deal, his contract would be up around the same time Josh Allen's is, so no conflict there. Definitely think offense would not be a problem anymore.

pass

1 hour ago, BillsMafia13 said:

And still no, his best year was 800 rec yards.  I feel like you only watch his highlights on sports center.... when he was playing

It's hard not to see his highlights on sports center when he's having so many. Watch any random game early in his career and see his body of work and All-Pro nods aren't people "just watching highlights". 

Also don't understand why Connor being good = Bell is not good. They're both good! If we could draft like the Steelers we wouldn't be fishing for FA skill position players rn. It's pretty well established the Steelers are damn good at finding skill position players. Bell's replacable if McDermott can draft Connor's caliber of running. But can he??

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I don’t know why ANYONE would shell out that kind of cash for a RB in general. You can find good backs on days 2-3 in the draft. May not be quite Bell’s level, but if you can get 80% of that production for 10% of the price, why wouldn’t you?

Exactly- Bell should have taken his 14 mil this year. After that go for a 3 year 8 mil per year- that is fair market- anything more a team with any sense will walk away and draft one.

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

A saint?? Wasn't Bell and his teammate suspended for being on "the weeeed"?

I like my runningbacks stoned rather than domestic allegations.. that's literally the only dirt Bell's been accused of. Shady's been around the block and has surely had unjust allegations but.. it ain't Bell's fault he doesn't get into trouble. Shady's partying at a night club near drunk cops with both parties being belligerent, for all we know Bell's getting high and playing Madden all night.. I'd prefer my runningbacks to get stoned and play Madden on days off and work out than have baby mama drama and violent nights out. Love Shady, just making the point Bell's clean as a whistle other than 1 drug suspension.

Ain't nobody got stoned in the car straight chilling with teammate Blount, talking about RB stories, and find themselves get caught in a night club brawl with cops 2 hours later ?. Bell and Blount's night out would have ended up with a 5 pizza binge and hitting the toilet hard next morning worst case scenario... Other than getting caught and arrested for an illegal drug lol 

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

1 hour ago, BillsMafia13 said:

His production is his production, Bills could use that kind of production. Look at WR in FA, it's a bare cupboard! LeVeon Bell can get you 75+ receptions, most of them for 1st downs. Very little at WR in FA. Bell could easily give Allen 800-1,000 passing yards. Easily. Keep Murphy, draft one, everyone else needs to go.

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

His production is his production, Bills could use that kind of production. Look at WR in FA, it's a bare cupboard! LeVeon Bell can get you 75+ receptions, most of them for 1st downs. Very little at WR in FA. Bell could easily give Allen 800-1,000 passing yards. Easily. Keep Murphy, draft one, everyone else needs to go.

Bell could line up wide. Literally change position to WR#1 and be a top receiver and easily the best we have lmao. He's better than all our skill position players in literally every way.

Faster than Foster, better hands than.. Zay (lol), fights for jump balls and RZ targets better than KB. Runs better routes than.. Zay. These WRs suck!

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Bell could line up wide. Literally change position to WR#1 and be a top receiver and easily the best we have lmao. He's better than all our skill position players in literally every way.

He'd generate more receiving yards, first downs and touchdowns than Zay Jones. Definitely be our leading receiver. 75 catches minimum and it'd be easy 1 yard throws for Allen. He's also a great RB too. Somebody you can build a team around. If he wants 18 million, give him 18 million. Pay him what he wants, 400 touches a year minimum. 

5 hours ago, billieve420 said:

I prefer the running back by committee approach and spending more on the offensive line instead. A good offensive line will make average runners look better.

I'm thinking that is what you are going to see at RB after Shady leaves (maybe at the end of this season).

I get the feeling the Bills will field multiple backs making 3-4 million all with special talents vs. a high dollar back.

55 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

He'd generate more receiving yards, first downs and touchdowns than Zay Jones. Definitely be our leading receiver. 75 catches minimum and it'd be easy 1 yard throws for Allen. He's also a great RB too. Somebody you can build a team around. If he wants 18 million, give him 18 million. Pay him what he wants, 400 touches a year minimum. 

So just to get this straight.  Hes going to be substantially more productive here in Buffalo, than he was in Pitt where he had a MUCH better QB, WRs to take attention away, and significantly better oline. Better than his career highs btw. Im not saying hes not great but a lot of his stats is being a product of his environment. To think hes gonna take it to another level in Buffalo is too much for me.

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

It's hard not to see his highlights on sports center when he's having so many. Watch any random game early in his career and see his body of work and All-Pro nods aren't people "just watching highlights". 

Also don't understand why Connor being good = Bell is not good. They're both good! If we could draft like the Steelers we wouldn't be fishing for FA skill position players rn. It's pretty well established the Steelers are damn good at finding skill position players. Bell's replacable if McDermott can draft Connor's caliber of running. But can he??

Ill make the prediction he signs the monster contract he wants with a team like the Jets/Bucs/some other garbage team and has a down year by everyones standards. He will not just walk into that kushy of a situations, sans the Packers or Pats.  Watch the drama unfold after that

9 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

We have lots of money to spend but I don’t think the Bills land him. If I was Bell I’d go to the team that offers the most money. I believe the Jets land him like they did with Curtis Martin after he left New England. 

Yeah he's definitely going for the highest bidder. I just don't want to end the off season with more free salary cap available than other teams (while being mindful of ensuring future re-signs).. just wasted team money/talent. That's why all this cap we're hyping up isn't the end all be all: there's not that many good FAs to go around

19 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

So just to get this straight.  Hes going to be substantially more productive here in Buffalo, than he was in Pitt where he had a MUCH better QB, WRs to take attention away, and significantly better oline. Better than his career highs btw. Im not saying hes not great but a lot of his stats is being a product of his environment. To think hes gonna take it to another level in Buffalo is too much for me.

Ill make the prediction he signs the monster contract he wants with a team like the Jets/Bucs/some other garbage team and has a down year by everyones standards. He will not just walk into that kushy of a situations, sans the Packers or Pats.  Watch the drama unfold after that

Probably not but wherever  goes he'd get the lion's share of touches and have a huge usage rate. I don't anticipate drama. I totally agree he's just going to follow the money and likely have a down year (by his standards), but I think he's the type to be happy getting paid as much as possible and being used as much as possible.. doesn't seem like the Haynesworth type and the dude certainly wouldn't mind being an offensive focal point. Bell to the Bucs would be a super fun team actually, Fitz/Winston/any competent Quarterback would have one of the best skill position units in the league and would have to REALLY suck to screw that up. 

I have no interest in them ever tying as much money up in the RB position as they even have already with Shady, let alone what Bell is expecting after his $14 million+ temper tantrum.

You need an elite OL, then you just plug in 3rd-5th rounders behind them.  OL is everything, RBs unfortunately take the brunt of the punishment, have the shortest careers and are super replaceable.  Maybe the next time the CBA is up they can institute a minimum salary specifically for running backs considering the amount of punishment they take vs other positions and their careers generally being much shorter than most others.

Edited by ThunderGun
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Those are his career averages, you could argue that Antonio Brown may take some production away from LeVeon Bell too. Here he gets all the focus. Obviously we have to fix the OL but we have a bazillion draft picks in a deep draft. Elgton Jenkins is a better prospect than Eric Wood was coming out. Trade down and grab him. Take a couple OL in the second round too.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yeah he's definitely going for the highest bidder. I just don't want to end the off season with more free salary cap available than other teams (while being mindful of ensuring future re-signs).. just wasted team money/talent. That's why all this cap we're hyping up isn't the end all be all: there's not that many good FAs to go around

Probably not but wherever  goes he'd get the lion's share of touches and have a huge usage rate. I don't anticipate drama. I totally agree he's just going to follow the money and likely have a down year (by his standards), but I think he's the type to be happy getting paid as much as possible and being used as much as possible.. doesn't seem like the Haynesworth type and the dude certainly wouldn't mind being an offensive focal point. Bell to the Bucs would be a super fun team actually, Fitz/Winston/any competent Quarterback would have one of the best skill position units in the league and would have to REALLY suck to screw that up. 

I believe the Jets are the only team with more cap room than we have.

8 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Let's say we finish 8-8, Allen plays great to finish the season. Buffalo looks like a team that is going to compete for a long time. We would suddenly become an attractive destination for many FAs. We also have a ton of cap space to work with and our offense lacks a playmaker. Why not Bell? Give him what he wants, Buffalo now has the best RB in the NFL. Build that OL in the draft and free agency. Buffalo adds a guy that regularly puts up 2,000 all purpose yards a season. Hopefully Zay and Foster continue to develop alongside Allen and I  could definitely see us making a playoff push. Bell gets a 4 year deal, his contract would be up around the same time Josh Allen's is, so no conflict there. Definitely think offense would not be a problem anymore.

I would sign Bell only at a max of 7-8 million a season.  He balked at 14+ from the Steelers.

Any team going close to 14+ is going to regret it sooner rather than later.  

You can get excellent production from young players all over the draft and even undrafted guys at 1/20th of the cost.  Look at Denver - an UDFA at RB getting the first 100 yard game against the Steelers.

I would rather see that money spent on more productive positions like WR/OL and CB and if we have extra money - roll it forward than overpay for Bell.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I would sign Bell only at a max of 7-8 million a season.  He balked at 14+ from the Steelers.

Any team going close to 14+ is going to regret it sooner rather than later.  

You can get excellent production from young players all over the draft and even undrafted guys at 1/20th of the cost.  Look at Denver - an UDFA at RB getting the first 100 yard game against the Steelers.

I would rather see that money spent on more productive positions like WR/OL and CB and if we have extra money - roll it forward than overpay for Bell.

Should be able to do everything you want even with Bell. Would also like John Brown and I think it'd be wise to overpay for him too. This is a good draft to need OL, we could add 3-4 starters if we want. Not impressed with the FA OL crop. I think we'd have multiple draft picks for defense too.

7 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Shady has more baggage than Bell.

Shady hasn't served 2 drug suspensions already and isn't facing 10 games for a future positive test.

IMHO no way Bell gets a long term deal at the $$ he wants and OBD won't be in bidding anyways

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Those are his career averages, you could argue that Antonio Brown may take some production away from LeVeon Bell too. Here he gets all the focus. Obviously we have to fix the OL but we have a bazillion draft picks in a deep draft. Elgton Jenkins is a better prospect than Eric Wood was coming out. Trade down and grab him. Take a couple OL in the second round too.

Le'Veon Bell Career Averages for regular season over five years played (2013-2017, not including 2018 holdout year):

• 532 receiving yards per year
  • 62.4 receptions per year

I'm fully aware that not every season was a full 16 games, but why would I assume Bell will play 16 games when he has only done so once in his career (as a result of injuries and suspensions)? 

Edited by Tommy
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Should be able to do everything you want even with Bell. Would also like John Brown and I think it'd be wise to overpay for him too. This is a good draft to need OL, we could add 3-4 starters if we want. Not impressed with the FA OL crop. I think we'd have multiple draft picks for defense too.

No way - do not want to get into Cap jail for a RB.

Like I said I would max out around 8 million and if he wants more - go get it elsewhere.

Maybe the Jets do 14+ million - good for them.  I think with his style he is a product of the Steelers more than an elite player.  

Give him an average line and he becomes a very average back.

34 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

No way he fits here, doesnt fit the type of guys they want here. The player doesnt have to be a choir boy, but they want guys who love football and want to play the game, not someone who is willing to throw away a season because they want more then the top 5 guys at their position.

Agreed - people always assume they want choirboy players, but they have repeatedly stated they want guys that love the game and play for their teammates.  To me that is the opposite of Bell.  

This holdout was was all about Bell and that rings very poor in my mind about who he is.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't want that much of the cap tied up in Bell with all of our other needs. 

But wow...this whole thing about him not being a "McDermott guy"...what does that even mean? I've seen Kelvin Benjamin, who he know from his first go-around, give us some horrific efforts in his time here. I've seen Peterman look completely defeated when he's come in, really not even competing. 

Either way, while I do think a young RB is a need, I'd rather get one from the draft and spend the bigger resources on the O-line and at WR. 

37 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

No way - do not want to get into Cap jail for a RB.

Like I said I would max out around 8 million and if he wants more - go get it elsewhere.

Maybe the Jets do 14+ million - good for them.  I think with his style he is a product of the Steelers more than an elite player.  

Give him an average line and he becomes a very average back.

Dude.... We have 91 million. Look at what Sammy Watkins got! I'd rather have LeVeon Bell for that kind of money. A weapon is a weapon and Bell can hurt you on the ground or in the air. Give him a 3 year deal that is heavily incentive driven that we can get out of in 2. He's the biggest free agent on the market.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

Dude.... We have 91 million. Look at what Sammy Watkins got! I'd rather have LeVeon Bell for that kind of money. A weapon is a weapon and Bell can hurt you on the ground or in the air. Give him a 3 year deal that is heavily incentive driven that we can get out of in 2. He's the biggest free agent on the market.

I would be interested in a deal like that...but he's not going to be. 

11 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

He held out after refusing a much better deal than that.  

You might want to read up on his story this season.  He wants, at least, Todd Gurley's contract.