Connor Orr: How Will Rams-Chiefs Impact the Future of the NFL?

26CornerBlitz

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

So getting back to the here and now, what great defensive team is going to win SB LIII?   

Every season has its own makeup.  You can’t compare one to the other.  There are MANY ways to win the SB.  

The Highest scoring team in the NFL each year has a losing record in the SB.  It’s not the ultimate recipe for success.

You and others are spewing nonsense as if the whole NFL now requires an elite offense to win the whole thing, and that’s a beyond ridiculous sentiment.  3 years ago, a QB who threw 55 TD passes got blown out in SB by mediocre offense and elite defense.

If that Seahawks team was here this year, they would be just as likely to win the SB again.  There is no team this year with a D close to

as good as the Seahawks.  But a team like the Saints who can actually play D has a better chance than Chiefs or Rams, and they already beat Rams, to win it all this year.  And don’t sleep on the Bears either come playoff time who have a good D and can run and throw.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Every season has its own makeup.  You can’t compare one to the other.  There are MANY ways to win the SB.  

The Highest scoring team in the NFL each year has a losing record in the SB.  It’s not the ultimate recipe for success.

You and others are spewing nonsense as if the whole NFL now requires an elite offense to win the whole thing, and that’s a beyond ridiculous sentiment.  3 years ago, a QB who threw 55 TD passes got blown out in SB by mediocre offense and elite defense.

If that Seahawks team was here this year, they would be just as likely to win the SB again.  There is no team this year with a D close to

as good as the Seahawks.  But a team like the Saints who can actually play D has a better chance than Chiefs or Rams, and they already beat Rams, to win it all this year.  And don’t sleep on the Bears either come playoff time who have a good D and can run and throw.  

Hello rule changes and innovative offensive schemes!

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Mediocre offense?

The Seahawks had the 8th scoring offense in the NFL in 2013.

#factsmatter 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

People don't want college scores to become the norm in the NFL, no matter how hard they try to make it happen.

It's already the biggest Monday Night Football game since 2014 and should adjust up from that - West Coast teams always rise in the finals from the overnights. Comparing it to Packers-Pats, which was on broadcast instead of cable and featuring the two most famous players in the league is silly.

13 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Then why are NFL offenses scoring more points than ever before? 

As you said, the facts matter. 

Simple...one they aren’t scoring more than before, 2013 Broncos still tops.  

Two...there are more good QBs right now than in years past.  The depth of the QB position around the league is deeper than I can ever remember.  With HOF vets playing at a high level still to a lot of younger rising stars.  

Three...the quality of defenses right now is also lower.  Not a lot of high end defenses right now.  Last nights game was the two worst secondaries in the NFL, it didn’t happen because of “rule”

changes.  

Every year is different, and the current make up of the NFL right now has a higher amount of competent QBs that before and a lower amount of quality defenses.  

Why do you think teams like Rams, Bears, and Saints have been making trades to get more defense THIS year?  And giving up a lot to do so?  Because they know come playoff time, they will have a tough time winning with offense alone.  

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hello rule changes and innovative offensive schemes!

LMFAO, This year is not that different than when Manning threw 55 TD passes.  Stop playing so much Madden.

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Mediocre offense?

The Seahawks had the 8th scoring offense in the NFL in 2013.

#factsmatter 

Was referencing their passing attack compared to Broncos, i should have clarified better.  55 TD passes in reg season...puts up 8 points when facing a dangerous defense in SB.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Simple...one they aren’t scoring more than before, 2013 Broncos still tops.  

Two...there are more good QBs right now than in years past.  The depth of the QB position around the league is deeper than I can ever remember.  With HOF vets playing at a high level still to a lot of younger rising stars.  

Three...the quality of defenses right now is also lower.  Not a lot of high end defenses right now.  Last nights game was the two worst secondaries in the NFL, it didn’t happen because of “rule”

changes.  

Every year is different, and the current make up of the NFL right now has a higher amount of competent QBs that before and a lower amount of quality defenses.  

Why do you think teams like Rams, Bears, and Saints have been making trades to get more defense THIS year?  And giving up a lot to do so?  Because they know come playoff time, they will have a tough time winning with offense alone.  

LMFAO, This year is not that different than 3 years ago.  Stop playing so much Madden.

This is all just your opinion. For someone who says the facts matter, this post is devoid of facts. 

There aren't high end defenses because the rules have changed significantly. Defenses can't play the way they could two years ago without drawing 15 yard penalties. 

Additionally, NFL scoring is at a record pace because the rules have changed significantly. The average NFL team is scoring 24.2 PPG right now, the most ever. 

This isn't complicated. 

Scoring isn't up because QBs suddenly got better. It's up because defenses can't play the way they could two years ago. 

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Was referencing their passing attack compared to Broncos, i should have clarified better.  55 TD passes in reg season...puts up 8 points when facing a dangerous defense in SB.

Stop backtracking.

What you said was they had a mediocre offense. Reality is it was in the top 10 in scoring. 

The Seahawks were elite on both sides of the football. They had hardly any flaws in 2013 which is why they won the Super Bowl. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

This is all just your opinion. For someone who says the facts matter, this post is devoid of facts. 

There aren't high end defenses because the rules have changed significantly. Defenses can't play the way they could two years ago without drawing 15 yard penalties. 

Additionally, NFL scoring is at a record pace because the rules have changed significantly. The average NFL team is scoring 24.2 PPG right now, the most ever. 

This isn't complicated. 

Scoring isn't up because QBs suddenly got better. It's up because defenses can't play the way they could two years ago. 

Exhibit A is the PF call last night against KC for hitting Robert Woods as a "defenseless receiver". 

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

Rules tend to favor the offense at the moment - defenses will figure it out.  Tyreke hill is a rare dude in that he has tremendous speed, and is an impossible mismatch.  He might be the best offensive weapon in the NFL, and has caused absolute havoc for defenses.  Throw in Kelce who is a size/athletic mismatch, and Hill who is a pretty solid dynamic back.  Watkins foot injury seems to be popping up right around the time it always pops up though... This might be the thing that maybe holds them back from getting out of the AFC. 

The Rams have the best O-line in football at the moment, the best running back in the NFL, and a ton of weapons.  Having the best offensive coach in the game only makes this that much more apparent.  If they can get their defense to get more stops they should be the best in the league. 

This was just a game of two incredibly loaded offenses with some of the best in the game.  Kinda neat but i don't know that there is a trend of receivers running like sub 4.2 40's and creating incredible mismatches. 

T. Hill uses his punt return moves to get open, no corner can cover that, or they fall, and he is wide-open and then uses his blazing speed.  I'd agree, he is the top offensive weapon.  Then you throw in Kelce (who had 2 huge drops) and Hunt. 

3 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Let's just say it: If the Bills were 54-51 winners last night, most of you haters would be LOVING this

Except for the fact that my D is epically bad on the back end in getting gashed for 6 TD’s? ? See? It’s easy to find something not to love about the W. I’d be sweating bricks that the likelihood my D scores 2 TD’s every week and has multiple strip sacks along the way is slim and none to help out an otherwise Swiss cheese outing. But I guess I’d be happy that my HC is an aggressive sonofagun—I admit that 

Just now, jrober38 said:

This isn't complicated. 

So you’re saying that there isn’t more competent QBs than in years past?  

How many SBs did these octane teams we have this year win?  Oh yeah, none.  

Rams got bounced LAST year.  Saints lost too.  Pats lost in SB because their D was so bad it let Nick Foles go off.  Chiefs have a different QB, but they now have lost to a declining Pats team and the Rams last night. 

In fact why don’t you look up when the last time the highest scoring team in the NFL won the SB.  Hint, they have a losing record in the SB.  

So sorry, one year of higher scoring doesn’t equal a change forever.  NFL like all things goes in cycles.  And right now the NFL is certainly experiencing higher scoring in regular season, but playoffs is a different animal and all offense isn’t some msgic

recipe for a SB win.  

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Exhibit A is the PF call last night against KC for hitting Robert Woods as a "defenseless receiver". 

A lot of people on this board want that kind of football back. They miss the Rockpile days with smash mouth football and 12-6 scores. Hate to break it to them those days are gone. Blue collar teams don't win much in this league anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Have to play within the rules of the game.  I'm not saying you abandon "where" the linebackers play but you replace them with safeties that can tackle and it turns into a basketball strategy where you have man coverage on everybody.  You just get carved up in zone anymore.  Too many gaps.  

Linebackers are too slow and heavy to play that short area in a man/man scheme.  Safeties and corners are going to have to evolve in tackling and the new generation of these players will have to enjoy tackling a lot more than the current crop does.  

I understand what you are saying.  You play small they will run power all day.  Defense would much rather give up a 70 yard bomb vs 10 runs for 70 yards and that same td.  Both lines and backs would do that vs small fronts.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How Will Rams-Chiefs Impact the Future of the NFL?

Monday night's game between the Rams and Chiefs marked a pivotal moment for the NFL. As a result, expect many teams to make major changes this offseason.

j6eJqKGa?format=jpg&name=600x314

When something operates at the pace of an AAU basketball game between tireless children, there may not have been enough stoppage time to recognize the strength and direction of the undercurrent surging beneath. Football, after years of being chopped up, hacked into pieces, broken down and frantically welded together, was officially remade on Monday night. And it’s never going back.

That was a fun game and what the NFL has been trending to. Modern Football. Buh bye Dinosaurs of run and stop the run. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So you’re saying that there isn’t more competent QBs than in years past?  

How many SBs did these octane teams we have this year win?  Oh yeah, none.  

Rams got bounced LAST year.  Saints lost too.  Pats lost in SB because their D was so bad it let Nick Foles go off.  Chiefs have a different QB, but they now have lost to a declining Pats team and the Rams last night. 

In fact why don’t you look up when the last time the highest scoring team in the NFL won the SB.  Hint, they have a losing record in the SB.  

So sorry, one year of higher scoring doesn’t equal a change forever.  NFL like all things goes in cycles.  And right now the NFL is certainly experiencing higher scoring in regular season, but playoffs is a different animal and all offense isn’t some msgic

recipe for a SB win.  

One year doesn't change things but I don't see the NFL going back to the blue collar days were teams run the ball and play field position. IMO we are headed to where a top 10 defense doesn't guarantee you anything. Offense is going to be the way going forward. As long as you have a middle of the pack defense with a top offense you are going to win lots and make the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

That was a fun game and what the NFL has been trending to. Modern Football. Buh bye Dinosaurs of run and stop the run. 

Only the Bills fans from the Rockpile days don't seem to like it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

One year doesn't change things but I don't see the NFL going back to the blue collar days were teams run the ball and play field position. IMO we are headed to where a top 10 defense doesn't guarantee you anything. Offense is going to be the way going forward. As long as you have a middle of the pack defense with a top offense you are going to win lots and make the playoffs. 

Well that and others that know the Bills offense is light years away from what was seen Monday

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I believe he said balance was needed for “sustained” success, which I interpreted as long-term, not within season.  I wouldn’t exactly describe Kansas City as a team with sustained success.

They were successful (regular season) foe the last several years..

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well that and others that know the Bills offense is light years away from what was seen Monday

And Rams and Chiefs secondary is light years away from ours.  

Those offenses are fun to watch, but they both played the worst secondaries in the league making it look even more exaggerated.  

I will take top a top 5 defense with a top 8 to 12 offense any day of the week than a top 2 offense with a bottom 5 defense. 

That team would win more than it would lose against elite offenses with putrid defenses.

38 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This isn't complicated. 

Stop backtracking.

What you said was they had a mediocre offense. Reality is it was in the top 10 in scoring. 

The Seahawks were elite on both sides of the football. They had hardly any flaws in 2013 which is why they won the Super Bowl. 

This is obviously wrong.  The QBs are better. 4 of the best QBs ever are still paying and at least 2 young outstanding QBs are scoring at will.  Luck is back.

Yet 10 teams are scoring 20 ppg or less. half the NFL is under 24ppg.  2 years ago, 10 teams finished with 20 or fewer ppg.  19 (as opposed to 16 this year) were below 24.

LAst night WRs were running free all night---that had nothing to do with "new rules".  Just bad coverage, tons of fast WRs and strong armed, mobile, accurate QBs. 

4 hours ago, Commonsense said:

I’m still sticking by my story, some NFL execs sat around watching Big 12 football and thought it would be a great idea for their own product. 

Would anyone like this as the norm? Maybe we need a poll. I’m interested in what that would look like.

I'm a die-hard Sooners fan, butI want no part of that for my NFL gameday experience.  It's fun for college ball, but the NFL needs to play defense.

For all the talk of the Chiefs offensive weapons, they had a grand total of 26 passing TD's last season. This year they're on pace for well over 50.

Maybe that new quarterback, can never remember his name, is making them look better than they are.

All I ever hear is the reverse. If that were true, why the quantum leap in passing TD's?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And Rams and Chiefs secondary is light years away from ours.  

Those offenses are fun to watch, but they both played the worst secondaries in the league making it look even more exaggerated.  

I will take top a top 5 defense with a top 8 to 12 offense any day of the week than a top 2 offense with a bottom 5 defense. 

That team would win more than it would lose against elite offenses with putrid defenses.

And the Combined record of Chiefs and Rams is what again?

if you add the Other elite offense in Saints and they are a grand total of 28-4. 

Nah will take the elite modern offense 

Edited by MAJBobby

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So getting back to the here and now, what great defensive team is going to win SB LIII?   

I don't think there is a truly elite defense in the league. Baltimore, Buffalo, Chicago, Jacksonville and Minnesota are the top 5 in yards; Baltimore, Tennessee, Dallas, Chicago and Washington are top 5 in points. 

I think that tells you Baltimore and Chicago are the two best. I think Chicago look like a team that could upset one of those big offenses in the playoffs but going all the way and winning the Superbowl...... I doubt it. Baltimore are a possible wildcard team who will be 1 and done if they get in. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think there is a truly elite defense in the league. Baltimore, Buffalo, Chicago, Jacksonville and Minnesota are the top 5 in yards; Baltimore, Tennessee, Dallas, Chicago and Washington are top 5 in points. 

I think that tells you Baltimore and Chicago are the two best. I think Chicago look like a team that could upset one of those big offenses in the playoffs but going all the way and winning the Superbowl...... I doubt it. Baltimore are a possible wildcard team who will be 1 and done if they get in. 

I would love to see how the Bears' D would do in a matchup against the Saints or Rams.  As good as they look, they couldn't completely shut down the one-dimensional Vikings. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I would love to see how the Bears' D would do in a matchup against the Saints or Rams.  As good as they look, they couldn't completely shut down the one-dimensional Vikings. 

Yep. The Chicago defense is good. It is not elite. But it is young and could be together a few years. The Seahawks were not elite immediately. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Chugging along to....what?  There are 3 or 4 teams in the league who can do this.  Anything think Titans-Texans is going to be like this next week?

Everyone on the planet knew this was going to be a shootout...and it was a shootout.  It hasn't 'changed the game" at all, not even a little bit.

But you gotta love the over reaction to one game.

As if it was a sudden revelation to 30 GMs last night that having a top QB, top RB and a bunch of really good WRs translates into being able to score a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

And the Combined record of Chiefs and Rams is what again?

if you add the Other elite offense in Saints and they are a grand total of 28-4. 

Nah will take the elite modern offense 

The only record that matters:  Top 5 offenses in NFL history are 0-3 in SB with 2 not even making it to SB.  I want a SB trophy, not a fantasy football one.  

Highest scoring offense in the NFL has a .476 win percentage in the SB, also known as a losing record.  

I will I’ll take a SB trophy over regular season stats.  

I smoked and fell asleep during the 1st quarter. 

Not cuz the game was boring. I was just moshed out from work.

woke up at 1:30. Saw the highlights and was pissed i missed the game.

Smoked again and went back to sleep.

I want a modern offense. Why do we have to stay in the stone age?

I would hate to see a league where good defense is shunned but the rules have steered it to score heavy games.

Defense still wins games but a good enough offense can usually over come that.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

You mean people who actually like, you know, football?

Where people get hit hard, tackled over the middle? Yeah. You're right. People who like football HATE that kind of game.

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You mean people who actually like, you know, football?

Where people get hit hard, tackled over the middle? Yeah. You're right. People who like football HATE that kind of game.

Defenseless hits have no place in the game anymore. Hard hitting defenses are a thing of the past. Playing field position and pounding the rock is old school way of thinking. 

12 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Defenseless hits have no place in the game anymore. Hard hitting defenses are a thing of the past. Playing field position and pounding the rock is old school way of thinking. 

Its what football IS. Get rid of that it’s no longer football 

I don't get this business that now that teams see this they will dump whatever they're doing and try to do that too. First off, it's hard to do and you gotta have a great QB (which most teams do not) and a stable of play makers (which most teams don't have). 

There area few teams that have this going on right now.  Defenses will catch up, they always do.

I remember a few years ago when the read option run was revolutionizing football and it would never be the same again.

People are giving a single game way too much credit in how it illustrates the "new" NFL game. It was just a single game between two teams who have very good offenses - and subpar defenses - this year.   

NFL teams are averaging 24.2 points per game this season. Yes, it's the highest it's ever been but it hardly makes 54-51 games the "new norm." In 1946 NFL teams averaged 23.6 points per game, that didn't signal the beginning of some new offensive explosion. Just a changing game that took defenses awhile to catch up to.

Edited by MDH

8 hours ago, TallskiWallski83 said:

Everyone is going bonkers over last night's game and I don't understand it. Yes, big plays and scoring are exciting but it waters down the product. How am I supposed to get excited over a 60 yard bomb when it seems to happen every drive? What makes football exciting to me is the build up to a big play, a back and forth chess match between offense and defense. Where each yard on offense is earned, not given. Where big time players rise up to the occasion and make a spectacular play to win their team the game. Last night's game was just a back and forth scorefest that ended with a anticlimactic ending. Defense means nothing and everyone scores at will, the team that loses is the team that gets the ball last without enough time on the clock. It's just a random way to end a game and I don't understand why people enjoy it. Im 31 years old and I sound like a grandpa here, but this new age football just doesn't do it for me. 

If the bills won last nights game the same way this board would be much more entertaining. 

We are the dude sitting next to our horse complaining about how cars take the fun out of transportation 

The NFL is a balancing act. The league will always slant the rules towards the offenses because "Chicks dig the long ball" but the defensive minds that make up the game will always adjust to new rules and adapt to new strategies. You saw safeties converted into linebackers and pass coverage becoming a necessity for linebackers to limit the short and intermediate passing game. You saw interior defensive linemen become integral to the pass rush as its a lot quicker to get to the QB over the middle. 

In 2018 the NFL saw that over the course of the past 4-5 years defenses caught up. Teams like Seattle and Denver fielded teams that had true lock down defenses for at least a few years. Now the NFL has slanted the rules again to help the offenses and the defenses are left to adjust. I have no doubt that in 2-3 years defenses will have adapted and we will see a new sense of balanced play arrive. 

Its always a game that swings based off of new strategies, even offenses adapted by ditching the fullback for a slot receiver and using the running back as a receiver out of the backfield. I

I think that people are making too much of Monday night's game.  We knew both teams were high powered offenses with weak defenses so the result was no surprise.  80 percent of the league probably could not field 3 reliable targets per team to be able to duplicate what the Chiefs, Rams, and Saints are doing.  And if it is something that can be coached by modern technique then I expect the Pegula's to grab such a coach out from under somebody else if possible.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The only record that matters:  Top 5 offenses in NFL history are 0-3 in SB with 2 not even making it to SB.  I want a SB trophy, not a fantasy football one.  

Highest scoring offense in the NFL has a .476 win percentage in the SB, also known as a losing record.  

I will I’ll take a SB trophy over regular season stats.  

So....you got the Bills beating the Chiefs for the AFCC?

Bears beat the Rams?  Or is it the Saints they beat in the NFCC?

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Chugging along to....what?  There are 3 or 4 teams in the league who can do this.  Anything think Titans-Texans is going to be like this next week?

Everyone on the planet knew this was going to be a shootout...and it was a shootout.  It hasn't 'changed the game" at all, not even a little bit.

Well of course not.  It's not going to change over night.