MNF Game thread Rams and Chiefs.

4 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Anyone complaining about the way that game went should be launched into the sun. If you’re really the type of person holding on to some sort of “ol’ school footbaw” notion, guess what? The league and the rest of the world has long passed you by.

And it’s sad because they have ruined a great sport

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Me too.   A lot of WR talent left because we had a QB that didn’t pass in a passing league.  

Until the Bills get their heads out this ground and pound thinking they will be losers in this league,  the great teams pass and losers like the Bills talk about running the football.  This needs to be a mandate from Pegulas ,  tell Sean to hire pass first orientated OC.  Spend resources on WR'S and a couple of offensive lineman,  i believe Crooms could be modern TE. Anyone who talks about running the football needs to go away,  next season should be all about passing the football and making plays down the field. If Sean wants to continue to play ground and pound you fire him and get HC who believe in passing first.

An epic game.

5 turnovers for KC - 3 INT 2 FUM, 2 FUM for Rams. 

Both QB's had a 117 RTG.  

And the Flag Fest 

KC 13-135 and Rams 8-60

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Until the Bills get their heads out this ground and pound thinking they will be losers in this league,  the great teams pass and losers like the Bills talk about running the football.  This needs to be a mandate from Pegulas ,  tell Sean to hire pass first orientated OC.  Spend resources on WR'S and a couple of offensive lineman,  i believe Crooms could be modern TE. Anyone who talks about running the football needs to go away,  next season should be all about passing the football and making plays down the field. If Sean wants to continue to play ground and pound you fire him and get HC who believe in passing first.

I agree with you to an extent.    The Skins were 7-3 with  a ground and pound thinking.

It is the exception to the norm.    Is it that the passing has gotten better or is it the Defensive backfield playing that sucks? 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That game was more enjoyable because it was in an era when the rules weren't so favorable to the offense and the defense can actually hit people.  Football is just a little less enjoyable now than it was 30 years ago and I realize player safety is a major reason.  Still my favorite sport to watch and I'm hoping defensive schemes can catch up to these increasingly creative offensive schemes.   

Tell you what, how about you strap on the pads and go out there for 60 minutes, then tell us whether NFL players “can actually hit people”.  

The game is still plenty violent. With the size and speed of players now, guys would literally get killed if the game were played under the “old rules” you seem to favor.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Tell you what, how about you strap on the pads and go out there for 60 minutes, then tell us whether NFL players “can actually hit people”.  

The game is still plenty violent. With the size and speed of players now, guys would literally get killed if the game were played under the “old rules” you seem to favor.

FWIW there is an issue with the game when you have 21 FLAGS slowing the game down.  

In all honesty, I was watching the Saints game and even as a fan of the Saints .....  It got boring after the 31 point lead. When Sean said go for it on 4th and 7  and got a  TD to go up 38 , I turned the game off.  

Low scoring games can be enjoyable even with Rodgers and Tainted Tom.   Because you can count on them 90% of the time to pull it out at the end of the game. 

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

FWIW there is an issue with the game when you have 21 FLAGS slowing the game down.  

In all honesty, I was watching the Saints game and even as a fan of the Saints .....  It got boring after the 31 point lead. When Sean said go for it on 4th and 7  and got a  TD to go up 38 , I turned the game off.  

Low scoring games can be enjoyable even with Rodgers and Tainted Tom.   Because you can count on them 90% of the time to pull it out at the end of the game. 

I agree with you on the flags, but that’s a different issue.  It was out of control..

We've seen several eras of offensive dominance in the NFL over the last 35 years or so, most of which have coincided with rules changes (or changes in the interpretation of existing rules) that favor the offense. The early 80s of Fouts and Marino. The K-Gun era Bills. The Greatest Show on Turf Rams and others.  The beginning of the Peyton Manning Broncos. It takes defenses a few years to adapt. But it's fun to watch while it lasts, and I'm sure the NFL execs are loving this in a time of what was fading ratings and interest.

Bringing it back home: yes, I do think we'll see the Bills open things up with Allen in the last month and a half. I think we saw the start of that last week with the speed guys getting a good long look (Foster, McKenzie) as well as a concerted effort to get Shady back into the offense. Do we have the offensive talent of the Chiefs/Rams? Of course not.  Not yet!

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

I agree with you on the flags, but that’s a different issue.  It was out of control..

How is it a different issue?   

With respect to the game and the flow of the game.  

Violent hits will happen even on "legal plays".   Tib Fib fractures happen on legal hits too.  (I did not see Smith's broken leg video as yet) 

How is it a different issue?   

With respect to the game and the flow of the game.  

Violent hits will happen even on "legal plays".   Tib Fib fractures happen on legal hits too.  (I did not see Smith's broken leg video as yet) 

Not that many of the flags were for illegal hits. I don’t recall any roughing the passer calls, but maybe I just forgot.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The last 5 minutes was great. Hill really screwed up by returning the ball with a minute to go, could have started on the 25instead of the 12. Great effort overall but would like more defence and running.

when we get all the pieces on defense we will be able really slow teams like this down.

Now that's funny?

More pieces than that Rams D has now?

Hot take:  The Chiefs have only 2 quality wins this season--week 1 and 2.  Chargers (another team that can't beat elite teams) and Steelers (who had just tied the Browns had  1 win in their first 4 games).

Edited by Mr. WEO

Best game I've ever seen.

And of course it didnt hurt that I was down huge in my fantasy game and expected to lose by 30 but thanks to Hill and Goff won going away by 23

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hot take:  The Chiefs have only 2 quality wins this season--week 1 and 2.  Chargers (another team that can't beat elite teams) and Steelers (who had just tied the Browns had  1 win in their first 4 games).

In a game against evenly matched opponents the home team SHOULD win.

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Best game I've ever seen.

And of course it didnt hurt that I was down huge in my fantasy game and expected to lose by 30 but thanks to Hill and Goff won going away by 23

In a game against evenly matched opponents the home team SHOULD win.

They better get home field throughout then.  Reid's KC  playoff coaching is legendary...

Edited by Mr. WEO

One of the best games I've ever seen. It took me back to some of those epic Monday night football games of the 80s like Marino beating the Bears in 85. However what it reminded me most of was the epic in Miami playoff game between the Chargers and Dolphins from the 1981 season. So many great plays and despite the score, both defenses made several huge plays. The problem for both these teams going forward is that they seem to both have mediocre to terrible defensive secondaries  which any decent playoff QB could easily exploit.

44 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

One of the best games I've ever seen. It took me back to some of those epic Monday night football games of the 80s like Marino beating the Bears in 85. However what it reminded me most of was the epic in Miami playoff game between the Chargers and Dolphins from the 1981 season. So many great plays and despite the score, both defenses made several huge plays. The problem for both these teams going forward is that they seem to both have mediocre to terrible defensive secondaries  which any decent playoff QB could easily exploit.

But they both along with the Saints, have amazing offences that make up for it because if the defence gives up points, the offence will turn around and march back down the field and get the points back. If the defence can get a stop, great, if not they dont have to worry cause their offences never have them out of a ball game.

It's much easier to build a very good team that way then it is to build a winning team the Bill's and Jags method of trying to get a dominant defence that can hold back offences to allow them to win low scoring games. That method is old school football that is working less and less in today's NFL

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

These 2 coaches are amazing at designing the plays...the amount of wide open receivers they have on any given play is insane.  Hill is unguardable.  As is kelce.  As is hunt out of backfield.  On of them or sammy are wide open every play. 

I saw a lot of defenders slipping last night. There was something wrong with the field. And the refs called every defensive penalty they could but a bunch of offensive holdings and false starts weren't called. Feels like the NFL was trying to run up the score.

Again...  See my post about how the Bills Defense slowed down Tommy and Aaron.  

Sure one can be called old as the hills and the other one can be elite minus 

I don't see this D slowing down either of those QBs last night.

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Now that's funny?

we do a really good job of shutting teams down. If it wasn't for the turnovers we wouldn't have all these blowouts. We get great pressure with only one great  pass rusher in Hughes and the back 7 does great at coverage with only one real star in White and an upcoming one in Edmunds. So adding more talent on D, which do need some more will put the defense in the elite level. I just think with our scheme we can really shut good teams down.

18 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

it was entertaining, but I'm not sure I want the NFL to look like that on the regular.

my thoughts exactly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Now that's funny?

I think the pieces of the Rams defense are a little overrated once you get past the best defensive player in the league and Suh up front. Peters has always been overrated in my opinion and the Rams starting linebackers shouldn't be starting for any team in the NFL. Elite defensive line, decent safeties, but awful at linebacker and exposed at corner without Talib. They have a lot of "names" on that defense. Basically after the defensive line I'd take the Bills D over the Rams D in every other spot.

Now that isn't to say that I think the answer to this offensive explosion in the league is to keep building up our defense. Obviously we need to build an offense that can compete - but I do feel pretty good about the defense we are building and defense will always matter even if it matters less than offense. We need to add a young pass rusher - the 2019 class should give us plenty of opportunity to do so.

• Like (+1) 4

As usual, when the OLinemen are awesome, everybody else on offense looks awesome and become the media focus. Goff in particular had all day to throw. It was crazy to see. Yesssss, him and Mahomes can play, no doubt. But hell, I'd bet Allen would look like a superstar with those linemen, receivers and coaches! If not to that level, a lot less haters would be calling him a bust.

• Like (+1) 1

My take on Mahomes: he looked good for 3 quarters when everything was all video game fun.

Then when it comes time to get a FG in the money quarter he couldn't even get a first down(ok I think he had 2 in 2 drives)

Wade took away his primary read when it counted and the kid looked lost.

He basically panicked and threw 2 balls  up for grabs.

He had video game stats 6-2 with over 400 yds but lost when he couldn't move the ball when it mattered most.

BTW just brilliant coaching by Mc Dummy to give KC a second chance.

They won despite his bone headed play calling at the end.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/21/2018 at 5:53 AM, GunnerBill said:

I think the pieces of the Rams defense are a little overrated once you get past the best defensive player in the league and Suh up front. Peters has always been overrated in my opinion and the Rams starting linebackers shouldn't be starting for any team in the NFL. Elite defensive line, decent safeties, but awful at linebacker and exposed at corner without Talib. They have a lot of "names" on that defense. Basically after the defensive line I'd take the Bills D over the Rams D in every other spot.

Now that isn't to say that I think the answer to this offensive explosion in the league is to keep building up our defense. Obviously we need to build an offense that can compete - but I do feel pretty good about the defense we are building and defense will always matter even if it matters less than offense. We need to add a young pass rusher - the 2019 class should give us plenty of opportunity to do so.

They have a defense built to play with a lead.

they are rushing the passer and snagging a few turnovers from that, not stuffing the run with great linebacker play.

its why I kind of liked Schwartz’s defense for us for a while. Spend on guys impacting the qb, have a cheap lb that can clean up the run when needed and ballhawk a bit on the back end fits today’s modern nfl.