Why cant we be more like the Giants?

Ramza86

The Bill's already were them, except the Giants have better skilled players to deal, right now who is tradeable and for what? No ones paying much for a banged up 30 year old RB, or Benjamin. Aside from a couple DBs who else on this defence will get them a decent draft pick?

At some point the front office has to start acquiring talent and not hemorrhaging it to collect picks.......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Because they believe this team was built to win this year. Despite what fans say they are not in a rebuild like the Browns were or like the Giants are now. They build short sighted year to year teams like Tom Donahoe. Beane has no vision. He'll sign names next year and draft the best athlete unless there is a football player on defense McDermott wants.

12 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Because they believe this team was built to win this year. Despite what fans say they are not in a rebuild like the Browns were or like the Giants are now. They build short sighted year to year teams like Tom Donahoe. Beane has no vision. He'll sign names next year and draft the best athlete unless there is a football player on defense McDermott wants.

With no established QB? I highly doubt Beane and McD had any expectations this year starting a rookie QB and all the dead cap $. 

How are the Browns in rebuild and the Bills not? We are basically in the exact same scenario as them.

The Giants drafted Barkley as they thought they were in win now mode with Eli at the end of his career. The Giants just flat out suck and had it wrong. Now they are soul searching for an O-Line and QB. The Bills are already in better shape than that. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Everyone but Barkley is tradeable. 

They have packed it in. The firesale has started....at least they can admit and embrace the tank.

We cant even tank properly. 

we are 2-5 . about to go 2-6.....not bad enough for you?

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

It starts at the very top - the Pegulas.  The Pegulas are gery good business people but aren't good professional sports team owners.  And they never will be.

8-8 forever!

:doh:

Certainly their tenure as  owners of the Sabres suggests that. Specifically, I'm very concerned that in response to the Rex Ryan fiasco, they seem to totally bought into Russ Brandon's "money ball" philosophy, and if that's the case, then winning will continue to take a back seat to making $$$ despite Brandon's departure. 

2 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

With no established QB? I highly doubt Beane and McD had any expectations this year starting a rookie QB and dead cap $. 

How are the Brown in rebuild and the Bills not? We are basically in the exact same scenario as them.

The Giants drafted Barkley as they thought they were in win now mode with Eli at the end of his career. The Giants just flat out suck and had it wrong. Now they are soul searching for an O-Line and QB. The Bills are already in better shape than that. 

we don't have an O-Line and too soon to say we have a QB

38 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

They have packed it in. The firesale has started....at least they can admit and embrace the tank.

I do not understand what you are complaining about.  The Bills did this very thing last year to set themselves up for the future and people complain (How can you trade away talent) they got extra 2,3,4 and picks for this coming draft.

Who have you heard the Bills are not willing to trade?  There are reports of what they are looking for with both KB and McCoy about the only tradeable pieces on O and they want to hold the D unless they get blown away.

The issue is you are damned if they trade and damned if they don’t because of the fan base.

45 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Who do they really have? I genuinely cannot name one of their defensive starters except Vernon. 

16 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

They have almost 100 million in space for next year and 10 draft picks while having high-level young talent in Tra'Davious White, Tremaine Edmunds, Hyde, Poyer, arguably Milano and Dion Dawkins. Harrison Phillips and Taron Johnson already look promising. Shaq's been showing signs of reaching potential, and while Allen may not have been your choice (and he wasn't mine) and is polarizing, while unlikely, he does have the potential to be the best of the 4 -- none of whom are particularly thriving yet -- and fwiw is 2-2 in complete games with this supposedly awful team. 

Not sure you can definitively say his methods are wrong in Year 2, nor that he would be wrong to draft great athletes and name free agents.

I'm not arguing Beane is great, but that I can see a "vision" in what he's trying to do and it's set up to work in the next couple years. Or it could collapse and his "vision" could be wrong. We'll see. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, nucci said:

we don't have an O-Line and too soon to say we have a QB

Our O-line isn't the greatest but still much better than what they have. We will have great depth on the oline if we handle FA and the draft proper next offseason.

Our D is 2x than what they field. 

We have our current future QB prospect, they have nothing but a aging retiring Eli whom is maybe a year from retirement.

IDK, I'll take our current setup over the Giants roster any day. 

What exactly are the Giants tanking for? A prospect QB? That would be the smart thing to do, pray Eli plays one more year so the prospect QB can learn behind him. 

Edited by Real McCoy

29 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

With no established QB? I highly doubt Beane and McD had any expectations this year starting a rookie QB and all the dead cap $. 

How are the Browns in rebuild and the Bills not? We are basically in the exact same scenario as them.

Browns are out of rebuild. Bills still fighting to go 7-9 or 9-7. That's the roster they've built. Browns tore it down and are loaded with young talent.

15 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

They have almost 100 million in space for next year and 10 draft picks while having high-level young talent in Tra'Davious White, Tremaine Edmunds, Hyde, Poyer, arguably Milano and Dion Dawkins. Harrison Phillips and Taron Johnson already look promising. Shaq's been showing signs of reaching potential, and while Allen may not have been your choice (and he wasn't mine) and is polarizing, while unlikely, he does have the potential to be the best of the 4 -- none of whom are particularly thriving yet -- and fwiw is 2-2 in complete games with this supposedly awful team. 

Not sure you can definitively say his methods are wrong in Year 2, nor that he would be wrong to draft great athletes and name free agents.

I'm not arguing Beane is great, but that I can see a "vision" in what he's trying to do and it's set up to work in the next couple years. Or it could collapse and his "vision" could be wrong. We'll see. 

Just seems like we've been here for 20 years. They never let it fail and get the top pick for several years. They always sign names and draft athletes. It's the Donahoe years redux.

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Our O-line isn't the greatest but still much better than what they have. We will have great depth on the oline if we handle FA and the draft proper next offseason.

Our D is 2x than what they field. 

We have our current future QB prospect, they have nothing but a aging retiring Eli whom is maybe a year from retirement.

IDK, I'll take our current setup over the Giants roster any day. 

What exactly are the Giants tanking for? A prospect QB? That would be the smart thing to do, pray Eli plays one more year so the prospect QB can learn behind him. 

They screwed up taking Barkley over a QB last draft...that was their chance without having to trade up

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Nobody but McCoy is tradeable...

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

They screwed up taking Barkley over a QB last draft...that was their chance without having to trade up

HUGE blunder.  Mind numbingly bad decision.  

1 hour ago, PearlHowardman said:

It starts at the very top - the Pegulas.  The Pegulas are gery good business people but aren't good professional sports team owners.  And they never will be.

8-8 forever!

Except that Wilson post-99 perfected acceptance of the many heroic marches to 7-9, 8-8 for so many years before Pegula...I do give him credit for the Polian/Butler eras putting together our SB teams, but outside of that window of time, your statement would probably better fit on that shoe. 

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Really we want to be the team that drafted a RB instead of a QB?

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Beane did a "firesale" in 2017 and is still getting ripped by fans for it.

You would've rather been the Giants this season? The team that told their fan-base, "We can compete this year. We're a piece or two away. We're going to take this talented young RB and he's gonna be that missing link we need!" They went into "win now" mode with an all-new coaching staff, a QB who's been in decline for four or five years now, a slow, overpriced defense (aside from Landon Collins) and an OL on par with the Bills. Now that they're 1-6, it's firesale time. That's not really the best way to go about a rebuild. Once the season is over, they're gonna can Shurmur and have to go through hiring an all new coaching staff again, and maybe even new front office executives.

The front office has referenced that they're mostly done trimming the roster. They'll make tweaks here and there but it seems they've laid the foundation and are ready to build the house.

Edited by blacklabel

2 hours ago, 416BillsFan said:

Our shelves are empty after the 2017 firesale.

Yeah, aside from McCoy we don't have any veteran assets left to trade. 

Our lack of players with trade value is a real indictment on the state of the franchise. 

2 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

8-8 forever!

I think there is enough evidence with both Sabres and Bills now to suggest that they have been bad sports franchise owners so far.

However, they are learning as they go and I think/hope they get better as time rolls forward.

Not sure it's fair to suggest they will never be good owners.  

As a caveat, I would suggest that Terry Pegula is the "wrong" kind of sports fan to become a good owner.  He seems like a very low information sports fan, kind of naive.  Loves cheering for his teams but doesn't really get the finer points of what makes winning organizations tick.

Doesn't mean he can't learn though and improve as time goes forward.

19 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I'd switch divisions the last 19 years with them.  Let any other team come into this division and deal with the Patriots and see how they're thought of.  

We'd have multiple playoff appearances. 

If you're suggesting the Bills' problems over the last 19 years stem from having NE in our division, your'e wrong.  That hasn't helped, of course, but our issues have run a hell of a lot deeper than who is in our division.

"The Bills front office is totally incompetent.  They have failed to provide any kind of offensive weapons to their rookie Quarterback, to help aid in his development."

(A FEW WEEKS LATER....)

"The Bills front office is totally incompetent.  They haven't traded away their only remaining offensive weapons for additional draft picks."

3 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

8-8 forever!

Just stop.

Cripes.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

If you're suggesting the Bills' problems over the last 19 years stem from having NE in our division, your'e wrong.  That hasn't helped, of course, but our issues have run a hell of a lot deeper than who is in our division.

I'm suggesting if you take any organization besides maybe 2 in the NFL and put them in the Patriots division - you think of them largely how the Bills have been viewed.  "Hasn't helped" doesn't even come close to how incredibly unlucky it's been to be in the division with them.  

The Bills, Jets and Dolphins are playing for a wild card the last 15 years except once.  That's friggin nuts.  

6 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Barkley is on pace for 2000 yards from scrimmage. He looks as good as advertised. 

NYG may have an Eli problem, but they have two elite playmakers that will be a big help to the new QB. 

Barkley is probably good enough to knock them out of QB1 territory in the next draft.