Here is why I'm not panicking...

Hebert19

21 minutes ago, iinii said:

The mastermind in NE. Let me ask you this. 

Why does a defensive coach in an offense driven league weaken the side of the ball he is weakest in? He made the sandwich. The excuse of we ain’t been contenders because we are always drafting 9-12 is just that an excuse. When was the last time Belichick drafted above 20 and how often in the last 20?

The jury is still out. History in the general since is what I am alluding to. And generally teams including the Bills overpay players who take the money and run. When you have lottery money my belief is that this only exponentially increases the likelihood of the former occurring. Thereby I am insinuating the probability of this happening next year is high. Go spend huge money on Clowney and watch him turn into Super Mario. 

OK.....and how good was Yoda in his first NFL stint when he did not have a hall of fame QB covering up every mistake the team made.

Look...I like Josh Allen....a lot....but a Looooooong ways to go before being talked about in the same breath as Tom Brady.  Having the best QB in the league covers up a lot........lets not forget that BB isnt that great of a drafter OR a guy that brings in a ton of free agents that work out....LOTS of busts in those areas for "Yoda"

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Because we will be able to solve ALL of our personnel issues.

We may have the potential to solve our problems but it may or may not be realized.

I am also not excited about our glut of late round picks; most of those rarely turn into roster players. 

And unless Josh Allen turns into a new QB fairly soon, none of this will matter anyway.

Just now, Fadingpain said:

We may have the potential to solve our problems but it may or may not be realized.

I am also not excited about our glut of late round picks; most of those rarely turn into roster players. 

And unless Josh Allen turns into a new QB fairly soon, none of this will matter anyway.

Do the priority should be getting players around Josh Allen that will make him look good as opposed to asking Josh Allen make average/less then average players to make THEM look good.

That is the whole point.....biuld Kansas City's offense.....

8 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Good post!!!

I agree, providing the Bills don't destroy their draft opportunity in 2019, which sadly is far from a forgone conclusion.

If nothing else- and I am NOT sold on Beane OR McDermott- they have had pretty good drafts the last two years.  Tre'Day, Dawkins, Milano and then Edmunds (I think we can assume he'll at least be a solid starter), Phillips and Johnson this year.  All of these guys are useful players that would start for just about any team.  Even the biggest Bills cynic has to be impressed with their ability to scout and develop defensive talent.  Time to show what they can do on the offensive side of the ball if they want to keep their jobs long term.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

This sub 500 record stuff is laughable.  You give BB this roster and I doubt he's got a better record.  McDermott has actually done well given the talent level

So you don’t hold the coach or GM responsible for the level of talent on the roster?  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

OK.....and how good was Yoda in his first NFL stint when he did not have a hall of fame QB covering up every mistake the team made.

Look...I like Josh Allen....a lot....but a Looooooong ways to go before being talked about in the same breath as Tom Brady.  Having the best QB in the league covers up a lot........lets not forget that BB isnt that great of a drafter OR a guy that brings in a ton of free agents that work out....LOTS of busts in those areas for "Yoda"

That is all true but you haven’t answered my question about why McDermott would play to his weakness.? Does he want to win or not? He preached Defense, running, and  game management, right? 

What does destroying the offense tell the defense? 

Absolutely agree.  I'm disappointed that things haven't worked out better this season, but I don't think that it changes the long term outlook.  The only point about which there is some debate is whether or not Josh Allen really is a franchise QB.  We can't know for certain.  If it turns out he's not, then there is some question whether the patience of the fan base and ownership would hold out long enough to give McBeane another crack at finding their franchise guy.  I figure we'll cross that bridge later if we have to.  For now, I'm hopeful Allen can be the guy.

15 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Tyrell Williams and Golden Tate are the headliners and will cost around 14-16 per.

That's doubtful.  Williams isn't a proven number one, and he doesn't have first round pedigree like a Watkins does.  Tate is 30 going on 31.  They'll get significant raises, yes, but top of the league money?  I don't see it.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:52 AM, Dadonkadonk said:

5. White is great. Dawkins is slighlty above average but wasted an additional pick. Zay has been mostly terrible.  Milano is hot and cold but better than I thought.  Beane's career will be decided by Allen. Edmund's looks far from legit and again wasted picks moving up.  Johnson sure looks like a good middle round pick.  Wouldn't it be nice to have had 4 more of those the last two years??? Phillips looks like KW. Doesn't play like him.  But DT is a very hard position to learn in NFL.  

6.  The OL is not a single player.  They need upgrades at C, RG, LG, and RT.  They need a #1 WR, a #1 TE, a #2 DB, and assuming they trade Shady a competent RB.  Add back-up QB, another S, and depth guys.  That is 8+ starters.  That will not happen in a single off-season.  Best case sceanrio they start to tank and a couple of the reserve O-linemen get playing time and look at least competent.

Commenting on OL specifically.... what they could do on offense is pick a LT if there is one there for them and kick Dawkins into LG. I think he would be near dominant at that spot. He can play left tackle.... of course he can. But he is a middle of the league LT which is a downgrade from Cordy Glenn at his best. I think Dawkins would be a much better guard.

On 10/24/2018 at 10:18 PM, Hebert19 said:

Yes.  This team is a dumpster fire.  :) people want mcbeane gone.  But I think we are in better shape than most.  

1.  We have 10 draft picks next draft before we dump a player or 2 this week potentially.  

2.  We have 80 million + in cap space next year.  

3.  We have what we think is our franchise QB and he's getting experience in his first year.  

4.  We have a very talented, very young Defense.  A couple pieces and they could be elite. 

5.  Beane's first draft was pretty solid.  Edmund's looks legit.  Johnson.  Legit.  Got their franchise guy (will see if he pans out) Phillips looks very solid as well. 

6.  Draft or sign OL, WR, TE, CB and RB and we have 80M and 10 picks to do it.  

Looks to me like the rams from last year if Allen makes the jump next year. 

If Allen starts putting passes on WR's hands that's all I really want to see. I would love to see Allen play against the Patriots this week. 

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Commenting on OL specifically.... what they could do on offense is pick a LT if there is one there for them and kick Dawkins into LG. I think he would be near dominant at that spot. He can play left tackle.... of course he can. But he is a middle of the league LT which is a downgrade from Cordy Glenn at his best. I think Dawkins would be a much better guard.

I have no faith in Castillo trying to figure this one out. Not a single one of our O-Line line players has shown any development or improvement. When Castillo is fired I don't see him getting a job as a O-Line coach ever again.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Not when he is rebiulding it  ITS NOT A FINISHED PRODUCT

Stop your whining. The qb situation has nothing to do w the so called rebuild. They made huge mistakes. 2 rookies to enter the season?  Please. Can’t blame that one on the rebuild. Yes technically peterguy is not a rookie. He is worse. 

Edited by nedboy7

Their big whiff was McCaron.  If he was as advertised, Peterman never dresses and Allen gets eased in.  Instead he cant even beat out Peterman and Allen and then asks to be traded.  Looking back they would have been better off installing Allen in day 1 in training camp  Bunch of time and snaps wasted in McCaron and Peterman. 

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Ever notice that the NE roster is never the same for very long?

Yet it's always a FINISHED PRODUCT.

Weird, huh?

Why do you keep bringing up NE when it auto kills your arguement?

The have a HOF qb........has been one of the top QBs in the league for how many years....that covers up a lot of weaknesses

you take Tom Brady off that team and they are definately in rebiulding mode

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Ever notice that the NE roster is never the same for very long?

Yet it's always a FINISHED PRODUCT.

Weird, huh?

Hmmmm, what might be one difference?

I know!!!

Having the best QB of all time may be helpful.....   ?

Edited by Augie

On 10/24/2018 at 11:18 PM, Hebert19 said:

Yes.  This team is a dumpster fire.  :) people want mcbeane gone.  But I think we are in better shape than most.  

1.  We have 10 draft picks next draft before we dump a player or 2 this week potentially.  

3.  We have what we think is our franchise QB and he's getting experience in his first year.  

4.  We have a very talented, very young Defense.  A couple pieces and they could be elite. 

5.  Beane's first draft was pretty solid.  Edmund's looks legit.  Johnson.  Legit.  Got their franchise guy (will see if he pans out) Phillips looks very solid as well. 

Let me summarize the panickers retorts in order:

1) yeah but they will just screw it up

2) yeah but they will just screw that up too 

3) they already screwed that up

4) they’ll screw that up next year 

5) I’m pretty sure they screwed that up too, we just don’t know it yet. 

6) see #2 

Rams McProcess is way better than our mcprocess...

think that covers it... go bills! 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Allen needs an Oline built around him. Grab a LT in the draft to battle with Dawkins(most likely will play RT as a rookie).

FA WR and Draft early WR. (I like Preston Williams or N’Keal Harry.

Gotta grab a RB.

FA Center, I like Mitch Morse from KC.

Defense, needs pass rush and DT, a stud LB to replace Zo.

On 10/25/2018 at 1:23 AM, iinii said:

And what FA diamonds have they mined. Teams with large war chests rarely hit on Free agents. Think Derrick Dockery and Albert Haynesworth. 

Playoffs? They backed in......

McD did find Proyer, Hyde, and Haush in year one, granted Whaley was still here but I have to assume that McD had a heavy hand in those acquisitions since he was installing a new system and had to get his players into the fold. This past off-season they had only 4 contracts of over 3 million AAV, those contracts were Star, Murphy, Vonta, and Ivory. Vonta clear bust no doubt that was a swing and a miss although they got some of that contract back which should help roll over that money to next season. As far as the other three they are all contributing solidly even if you could argue they are overpaid. 

I do worry in general about the teams ability to secure pro-level talent but Free agency is critical to a teams ability to supplement talent. You don't need to overhaul your roster in free agency to have free agency be successful. If you can find 4 starters and 3-4 role players in free agency you have greatly alleviated the needs you have to fill on the draft and significantly improved the talent level of the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Actually its not worth mine nor anyones time....you really didnt say anything which is pretty much par for you

Yup. Right over your head.  Now go tell others to stop whining when they don’t agree with you whiner. 

....this joint becomes the epitome of bi-polar.....how many TBD prognosticators offered up predictions of 3-13, 4-12, 5-11, 6-10, etc?...........and now that we are on those VERY SAME PATHS, the masses are shocked as evidenced by "we suck....fire McDermott...fie McBeane.....fire the beerman.....Pegula doesn't care, etc....".......save money, cancel the "Comedy Channel" and stay tuned right here for free.....good Lord.............

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....this joint becomes the epitome of bi-polar.....how many TBD prognosticators offered up predictions of 3-13, 4-12, 5-11, 6-10, etc?...........and now that we are on those VERY SAME PATHS, the masses are shocked as evidenced by "we suck....fire McDermott...fie McBeane.....fire the beerman.....Pegula doesn't care, etc....".......save money, cancel the "Comedy Channel" and stay tuned right here for free.....good Lord.............

Youth is wasted on the young.  Old farts like us understand perspective

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Yup. Right over your head.  Now go tell others to stop whining when they don’t agree with you whiner. 

He stopped reading before you clarified your point in the next sentence about starting the season with Allen and Peterman. So I guess he thinks starting the season with Allen and Peterman is a good idea.

And he hates reading apparently.. can't do more than 2 sentences. On a forum communicated by reading and writing. 

And blames his illiteracy on you beginning a point where it sounds like you don't think we need quarterbacks as he stops reading.. like if Tony the Tiger said "frosted flakes aren't good".. he stops listening. (they're GREAT)

"OH SO YOU DON'T LIKE FROSTED FLAKES TONY HUH??"

John: he wasn't even remotely saying what you bolded out and thought he said. And then a pissing contest over nothing ensued.

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

He stopped reading before you clarified your point in the next sentence about starting the season with Allen and Peterman. So I guess he thinks starting the season with Allen and Peterman is a good idea.

And he hates reading apparently.. can't do more than 2 sentences. On a forum communicated by reading and writing. 

And blames his illiteracy on you beginning a point where it sounds like you don't think we need quarterbacks as he stops reading.. like if Tony the Tiger said "frosted flakes aren't good".. he stops listening. (they're GREAT)

"OH SO YOU DON'T LIKE FROSTED FLAKES TONY HUH??"

John: he wasn't even remotely saying what you bolded out and thought he said. And then a pissing contest over nothing ensued.

How in the FUK do you even know what I was thinking when I responded?   You have absolutely NO idea.

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

How in the FUK do you even know what I was thinking when I responded?   You have absolutely NO idea.

The qb situation has nothing to do w the so called rebuild. you stopped reading here because you thought he was saying getting Josh Allen wasn't part of the rebuild no?

But if you don't expect us to know what you're thinking when you post.. it sort of defeats the purpose. Like we communicate our thoughts by reading and writing, because it's a forum no? Like shouldn't you write in a manner precisely to show what you are thinking so we can understand?

Why did you stop reading at the bolded do tell.

7 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

The qb situation has nothing to do w the so called rebuild. you stopped reading here because you thought he was saying getting Josh Allen wasn't part of the rebuild no?

But if you don't expect us to know what you're thinking when you post.. it sort of defeats the purpose. Like we communicate our thoughts by reading and writing, because it's a forum no? Like shouldn't you write in a manner precisely to show what you are thinking so we can understand?

Why did you stop reading at the bolded do tell.

Because its basically not true......a rebiuld has EVERYTHING to do with the QB

Look at what we knew

- We had several players on big contracts but not big production......and Beane/McD come in and tear the thing down from the ground up (something that has NEVER been done........constant retools/reloads to the tune of 7 and 9 or 8 and 8 every year......just bad enough for no post season but just good enough to keep us out of the prime picks.....

QB play that wasnt bad enough to get us to a top 5 pick.....but just good enough that we are watching from home come playoff time....SEVENTEEN YEARS

The QB has everything to do with the rebiuld of the team.......this is something that bills management HAS NOT TRIED ....a top 10 QB pick.....the last time we were down into the money picks we took a DT

Rebiuld and QB absolutely go hand in hand

On 10/24/2018 at 11:18 PM, Hebert19 said:

It all comes down to Allen. If he can fix all his issues(which I believe he won’t in 1 year) then of course we can become a great team. But McDermott hasn’t shown us he knows how to draft or evaluate offensive talent. He passed on Mahomes and Watson. Chose Peterman over AJM. So we will just have to wait and see. It all comes down to Allen though or we will look like 2017 Jags. And yeah the Jags are good but I believe if the Jags even have Bridgewater they’d be almost unstoppable. Because as all us Bills fans should know your defense will get tired and won’t continuously give it their all when all the offense does is go 3 and out or turn it over. With a better QB the Jags are an elite team. But we all know the Bills have the potential to build a great team next year. If McBeane drafts well and Allen gets better. He needs to have all the mental ***** fixed by next year and all his footwork and accuracy issues fixed by year 3 or he needs to go. And if he is still struggling next year I’d draft a new one. ***** I would probably draft a new one in 2019 as well in the 3rd or 4th just to replace peterman

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Rebiuld and QB absolutely go hand in hand

yes I get what you said lol and that's obviously true. His point after that sentence was our handling of the QB position (going in with Allen and Peterman) has nothing to do with a successful rebuild, it was just dumb. I agree, we really should have had a contingency plan rather than all but ensuring our rookie quarterback, pegged as raw and not quite ready for action.. especially on this offense, starts. Going to the season the best case scenario was Allen stays healthy and plays like he was drafted to be the next Andrew Luck type pro offense day one starter ROY candidate. 

Which would have been awesome, but HIGHLY unlikely

In a weird way, we were incredibly poorly run and coached at exactly the right time.  Even with competent or above average management over the past 15 years or so, what difference would it have made?  Terrible luck being in the same division as the longest running dynasty of all time.

But dem boys is gettin’ old now.  Now, we have to get it right. If Beane does know what he’s doing and has set the table well for a masterful ‘19 offseason, it could be great timing, and set the Bills up to take over this division.

And how good would that feel?

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

yes I get what you said lol and that's obviously true. His point after that sentence was our handling of the QB position (going in with Allen and Peterman) has nothing to do with a successful rebuild, it was just dumb. I agree, we really should have had a contingency plan rather than all but ensuring our rookie quarterback, pegged as raw and not quite ready for action.. especially on this offense, starts. Going to the season the best case scenario was Allen stays healthy and plays like he was drafted to be the next Andrew Luck type pro offense day one starter ROY candidate. 

Which would have been awesome, but HIGHLY unlikely

UNLESS.......they did not plan to win this year so that they can biuld this team with higher draft picks......

Consider this for a minute

Yes....we have 90 million in cap space......but what got us into the situation we were in that made us have to to eat a poo poo cap sandwich this year?  Cutting players with inflated contracts but not inflated production.....WHY did they have those inflated contracts.....because we had to overpay to keep them in Buffalo.

We face the SAME situation this next offseason....and Beane is trying to AVOID that.....we are going to be competative....but I think Beane is gonna be smarter with the contracts which means we are not going to get the top free agents.....MAYBE we get a couple......so how to we improve?  We improve by drafting well....how do we improve our chances of drafting well?  By accumulating picks.....and by making those picks higher by not winning this season.

Nobody wants to hear that....but that is my theory......Beane wants to biuld through the draft

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

UNLESS.......they did not plan to win this year so that they can biuld this team with higher draft picks......

Consider this for a minute

Yes....we have 90 million in cap space......but what got us into the situation we were in that made us have to to eat a poo poo cap sandwich this year?  Cutting players with inflated contracts but not inflated production.....WHY did they have those inflated contracts.....because we had to overpay to keep them in Buffalo.

We face the SAME situation this next offseason....and Beane is trying to AVOID that.....we are going to be competative....but I think Beane is gonna be smarter with the contracts which means we are not going to get the top free agents.....MAYBE we get a couple......so how to we improve?  We improve by drafting well....how do we improve our chances of drafting well?  By accumulating picks.....and by making those picks higher by not winning this season.

Nobody wants to hear that....but that is my theory......Beane wants to biuld through the draft

i am willing to bet he goes into the draft with at least 7 picks in the first 4 rds.  of course unless he trades for carr or something.  i do agree about a high draft slot though...and i wanna slap myself for that thought, but if we draft ...say...no.3....that's no. 3 in every round. all the more reasons to make all our picks in the first 4 rds.  we can really do some good via the draft.