Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

On 4/9/2020 at 11:38 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Do you think that pandering to the anti-semites in congress hurt him to any extent. I suspect that this turned off a sizeable amount of Jewish voters.

Hi Bill,

I’m sure it did to some extent. But I don’t think the correct solution would have been to outright reject Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib and continue to divide the progressive wing into smaller pieces.

As the de facto leader of the nation’s progressive left, Bernie should have stepped up to address the situation immediately when it came up, denounce as necessary, reframe the Israel/BDS debate, and clarify an “official” progressive stance on this issue.

Bernie didn’t do this because he tends to be way too conflict averse with people he sees as allies. He let the issue linger in the minds of many moderate voters to the point that they came to associate the centrist wing as the pro-Israel group and the progressive wing as the anti-semitic Palestinian apologists group, with little room for nuance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, RealKayAdams said:

Bernie didn’t do this because he tends to be way too conflict averse with people he sees as allies. He let the issue linger in the minds of many moderate voters to the point that they came to associate the centrist wing as the pro-Israel group and the progressive wing as the anti-semitic Palestinian apologists group, with little room for nuance.

We were discussing this the other night. I have a slightly different take on Bernie. I think he’s in his lane when he’s railing against those who are not in the room, such as the dastardly ‘billionaires’! But put them at the podium next to him, and he shrinks from direct confrontation with Warren, and others. In short....he’s a blow hard coward. The Senate is the perfect spot for Bernie. He can bloviate about his principles for decades on end but never really has to enact any change, compromise with anyone, or getting much of anything done. It doesn’t make him a bad person. It just makes him more of philosopher priest than a legislator or leader. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, RealKayAdams said:

Hi Bill,

I’m sure it did to some extent. But I don’t think the correct solution would have been to outright reject Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib and continue to divide the progressive wing into smaller pieces.

As the de facto leader of the nation’s progressive left, Bernie should have stepped up to address the situation immediately when it came up, denounce as necessary, reframe the Israel/BDS debate, and clarify an “official” progressive stance on this issue.

Thanks! This explains a lot, but it doesn't excuse what I consider to be fostering anti-Semitism. I think that Jews have historically suffered enough, too much too be abandoned, persecuted, and ridiculed by the democrat party. Sanders, a Brooklyn Jew, should have had the moral decency to defend them. He did not, nor did/does Pelosi have the guts and/or human decency to do so either.

Do I have a dog in this fight? Yes, in fact I have 2. I am 1/2 Jewish, and I am a decent enough person to not turn my back on Jews.

As always, thanks for the dialogue.

46 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Thanks! This explains a lot, but it doesn't excuse what I consider to be fostering anti-Semitism. I think that Jews have historically suffered enough, too much too be abandoned, persecuted, and ridiculed by the democrat party. Sanders, a Brooklyn Jew, should have had the moral decency to defend them. He did not, nor did/does Pelosi have the guts and/or human decency to do so either.

Do I have a dog in this fight? Yes, in fact I have 2. I am 1/2 Jewish, and I am a decent enough person to not turn my back on Jews.

As always, thanks for the dialogue.

The progressive left wing of the Democratic Party is unfortunately a potential breeding ground for anti-semitism because it’s a natural home for those who most vociferously criticize the state of Israel’s actions, Islamophobia, billionaire crony capitalists (Jews are greedy trope), and mainstream media corruption (Jews own entertainment industry tope). I saw glimpses of it myself from time to time within the Bernie movement, though happily not very often and less often than in 2016. So it’s definitely not just corners of the alt-right that foster anti-semitism. It’s something we all need to carefully monitor as our country enters a major social and economic upheaval, since history shows us that Jews are often the most vulnerable and on the front lines of the blame game in times like these.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

We were discussing this the other night. I have a slightly different take on Bernie. I think he’s in his lane when he’s railing against those who are not in the room, such as the dastardly ‘billionaires’! But put them at the podium next to him, and he shrinks from direct confrontation with Warren, and others. In short....he’s a blow hard coward. The Senate is the perfect spot for Bernie. He can bloviate about his principles for decades on end but never really has to enact any change, compromise with anyone, or getting much of anything done. It doesn’t make him a bad person. It just makes him more of philosopher priest than a legislator or leader. 

This is true. It's that he's a commie, con-artist, and thief that makes him a bad person

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RealKayAdams said:

The progressive left wing of the Democratic Party is unfortunately a potential breeding ground for anti-semitism because it’s a natural home for those who most vociferously criticize the state of Israel’s actions, Islamophobia, billionaire crony capitalists (Jews are greedy trope), and mainstream media corruption (Jews own entertainment industry tope). I saw glimpses of it myself from time to time within the Bernie movement, though happily not very often and less often than in 2016. So it’s definitely not just corners of the alt-right that foster anti-semitism. It’s something we all need to carefully monitor as our country enters a major social and economic upheaval, since history shows us that Jews are often the most vulnerable and on the front lines of the blame game in times like these.

I continue to be shocked at your honesty and open mind. Sorry if this sounds condescending because I truly do not want to give that impression. Hey, I am a conservative who supports labor unions. I don't sing the virtues of the Republican Party on every issue. Oh, and I am not always fond of the tactics of many national union leaders.

Btw, I believe that the alt-right is practically non existent. If there was a KKK meeting with 100 in attendance, 50 would be feds, 30 would be police informants and the other 20 would be sick losers with a combined IQ of 50. ANTIFA is a far bigger threat than the Klan these days, and is at least as violent. They are smarter than the KKK but equally  disturbed.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 5

Nice job Dems.  You really know how to pick them.

Poll: Obama would be better amid coronavirus, but Trump bests Biden

When asked who would be a better leader during the outbreak, 52 percent of voters said Obama would be better during the crisis, compared with 38 percent who said Trump would be the stronger of the two leaders. Ten percent did not have an opinion.

By an 8-point margin, more voters picked Trump (44 percent) as a better leader during the crisis than Biden (36 percent), though voters were split evenly in the survey when asked whom they would trust to handle the issue.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Poll: Obama would be better amid coronavirus, but Trump bests Biden

When asked who would be a better leader during the outbreak, 52 percent of voters said Obama would be better during the crisis, compared with 38 percent who said Trump would be the stronger of the two leaders. Ten percent did not have an opinion.

By an 8-point margin, more voters picked Trump (44 percent) as a better leader during the crisis than Biden (36 percent), though voters were split evenly in the survey when asked whom they would trust to handle the issue.

Probably because of the masterful way Obama handled the swine flu, eh?

...not sure if this clown should be cited for "traveling" or double dribble"............

Mark Cuban predicts 'world-changing' innovation stemming from outbreak, keeps 'door open' to 2020 bid

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban believes that despite the negative impact the coronavirus outbreak has had on the U.S., it will result in ‘world-changing’ innovation – and possibly his own run at the presidency.

In a conversation with “Fox News Sunday,” Cuban predicted that the struggles facing the country will inspire entrepreneurs to tackle present-day challenges.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mark-cuban-on-how-economy-will-return-to-normal-keeping-the-door-open-to-2020-bid

• Thank you (+1) 1

Holy Hell?!?!?  Did they really just say that? 

No other allegation about sexual assault surfaced in the course of our reporting, nor did any former Biden staff corroborate Reade’s allegation. We found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Biden, beyond hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

and... it's gone.

The beauty of the internet. It’s never really gone. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Holy Hell?!?!?  Did they really just say that? 

No other allegation about sexual assault surfaced in the course of our reporting, nor did any former Biden staff corroborate Reade’s allegation. We found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Biden, beyond hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable

The beauty of the internet. It’s never really gone. 

They did indeed. And were getting killed for it (rightly so). 

Compare to Kavanaugh/Ford, and then laugh.

• Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

when i see horseshit like this, it gives the conspiracy theorist in me great pause. it is becoming readily apparent that Joe can't be out in public because the public would understand with greater clarity that this man is just not all there. with this in mind, i believe it reasonable to consider if CV-19 was released on purpose. 

• Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

How soon we forget. It wasn't that many years ago that Obama spoke to a group of schoolchildren and had to use a teleprompter. 

True, but that was mostly because they knew Obama lacked the intelligence to speak extemporaneously. 

Biden gets the teleprompter to remind him who he is, where he is and what he is supposed to talk about before he starts yelling at voters or sniffing little girls' hair.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/11/2020 at 5:30 PM, Doc Brown said:

I’d rephrase slightly as: “nice job mainstream media. You really know how to pick them.” Since day one, the media has been deliberately and relentlessly molding the narrative on every Democrat candidate in order to achieve a desired result for their corporate donors. Biden was never vetted in a primary process where the main point was supposed to be doing just that for each candidate. Makes ya wonder if even just one of those nondescript, uncharismatic, white male candidates from back in the day (your choice among Bennett, Delaney, Bullock, Moulton, Inslee, Sestak, Hickenlooper) could have been a better option – if given a fair chance from the media – than a senile rapist who has been wrong on every major political issue from the past five decades?

As I’ve said all along, forcing a Biden matchup versus Trump cements the 2016 political realignment of the Democrats as the party of reckless economic globalism and regime-change foreign interventionism. The Democrats were supposed to be the party of the working class and the party of peace. And then here we see Trump slide ever so slightly to the left of Joe with $1200 checks and COVID-19 medical relief and student debt relief, while Joe BYE-DONE continues fumbling around in his house with Zoom during a pandemic. Donald Trump is now the presidential candidate for the progressive left…oh my.

Can’t help but wonder how much longer the mainstream media can continue gaslighting us with the Joe charade. That coronavirus leadership poll highlights America’s emerging awareness that Joe is probably in the early stages of dementia. The media still likes to point out his competitiveness by referencing national polls from the past week which have him holding anywhere between a tie with Trump and an 11% lead. My big counterpoint is the devastating presidential candidate enthusiasm poll from two weeks back. Even if more Americans prefer Biden, all that matters are the votes from people motivated enough to – you know – go out and vote. I believe we are looking at a complete meltdown of the white working class and the under-40 voting blocs that have formerly buttressed the Democratic Party throughout this era of neoliberalism.

The mainstream media, of course, isn’t capable of self-reflection and will eventually blame everyone else for Biden’s inevitable November loss. Any guesses as to whom their favorite target will be? Answer: Bernie Brothers and Sanders Sisters. The voter shaming has already begun with the usual media personalities. They frame the situation as intransigent Millenials and unsophisticated idealists choosing revolution over sensible incrementalism. Why won’t they just accept Biden’s false promises of watered-down public policy scraps? Don’t they know progressive platforms can’t win elections (except when they sort of did twice in 1992 and 2008 while centrists lost 1984 and 1988 and 2000 and 2004 and 2016 and, yes, 2020…but whatever)? That COVID-19 bandana pic from an online Bernie Bro bully must mean he is getting ready for a violent ANTIFA strike. “Closet Trump supporter” is the accusation du jour. This one’s my favorite: in typical Dem establishment style, they are accusing select Bernie supporters of being Russian assets, which to be perfectly frank sounds super exciting! As soon as Putin gives me the orders, Kaytlana Adamsnova be rolling into Milwaukee’s Fiserv Forum like:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, RealKayAdams said:

I’d rephrase slightly as: “nice job mainstream media. You really know how to pick them.” Since day one, the media has been deliberately and relentlessly molding the narrative on every Democrat candidate in order to achieve a desired result for their corporate donors. Biden was never vetted in a primary process where the main point was supposed to be doing just that for each candidate. Makes ya wonder if even just one of those nondescript, uncharismatic, white male candidates from back in the day (your choice among Bennett, Delaney, Bullock, Moulton, Inslee, Sestak, Hickenlooper) could have been a better option – if given a fair chance from the media – than a senile rapist who has been wrong on every major political issue from the past five decades?

As I’ve said all along, forcing a Biden matchup versus Trump cements the 2016 political realignment of the Democrats as the party of reckless economic globalism and regime-change foreign interventionism. The Democrats were supposed to be the party of the working class and the party of peace. And then here we see Trump slide ever so slightly to the left of Joe with $1200 checks and COVID-19 medical relief and student debt relief, while Joe BYE-DONE continues fumbling around in his house with Zoom during a pandemic. Donald Trump is now the presidential candidate for the progressive left…oh my.

Can’t help but wonder how much longer the mainstream media can continue gaslighting us with the Joe charade. That coronavirus leadership poll highlights America’s emerging awareness that Joe is probably in the early stages of dementia. The media still likes to point out his competitiveness by referencing national polls from the past week which have him holding anywhere between a tie with Trump and an 11% lead. My big counterpoint is the devastating presidential candidate enthusiasm poll from two weeks back. Even if more Americans prefer Biden, all that matters are the votes from people motivated enough to – you know – go out and vote. I believe we are looking at a complete meltdown of the white working class and the under-40 voting blocs that have formerly buttressed the Democratic Party throughout this era of neoliberalism.

The mainstream media, of course, isn’t capable of self-reflection and will eventually blame everyone else for Biden’s inevitable November loss. Any guesses as to whom their favorite target will be? Answer: Bernie Brothers and Sanders Sisters. The voter shaming has already begun with the usual media personalities. They frame the situation as intransigent Millenials and unsophisticated idealists choosing revolution over sensible incrementalism. Why won’t they just accept Biden’s false promises of watered-down public policy scraps? Don’t they know progressive platforms can’t win elections (except when they sort of did twice in 1992 and 2008 while centrists lost 1984 and 1988 and 2000 and 2004 and 2016 and, yes, 2020…but whatever)? That COVID-19 bandana pic from an online Bernie Bro bully must mean he is getting ready for a violent ANTIFA strike. “Closet Trump supporter” is the accusation du jour. This one’s my favorite: in typical Dem establishment style, they are accusing select Bernie supporters of being Russian assets, which to be perfectly frank sounds super exciting! As soon as Putin gives me the orders, Kaytlana Adamsnova be rolling into Milwaukee’s Fiserv Forum like:

Are you expecting Trump to win the popular vote, or just the EC? 

15 hours ago, snafu said:

Bernie Sanders is a sellout pu$$y.

And Trump is a corrupt, POS. 

7 minutes ago, RealKayAdams said:

No doubt that the mainstream media and establishment Democrats were desperate to get Bernie out.  And it was quite impressive the speed of how they all coalesced around Biden for the S.C primary.

But something that isn't talked about enough is what truly doomed Bernie.

Bernie was on a path to win the nomination.  Biden was struggling and Bloomberg was the new hope.  As we know Bloomberg bombed in that first debate and from that performance on he never stood a chance.   Klobuchar and Buttigieg could never gain any traction with the African American crowd.   It was looking all but certain that Bernie was going to be the man.  Democrats and the mainstream were getting desperate.  There were some mainstream Democrats and even some in the media that were beginning to warm to the idea that "Maybe Bernie could win".

And then the Bernie - Anderson Cooper interview happened.  He complimented Castro's education policies.   All the fears of Bernie being a communist sympathizer all came to a head.  Florida Democrats were denouncing him left and right, the prospects of winning Florida were next to nil with Bernie were becoming quite apparent.  And when given an opportunity to clarify, he really couldn't do it in a way to assuage the fears of many Democrats.  Then the Clyburn endorsement came and the rest was history.

If Bernie hadn't done that interview, he would still be competing hard against Biden to this day.  

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Bernie was on a path to win the nomination.   

He was? But he couldn't break outside his base of 25-30%. Women didn't like him enough, minorities either. How is that a path to the nomination? 

Seems more like Trump's only hope is to get the socialist's votes now. 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He was? But he couldn't break outside his base of 25-30%. Women didn't like him enough, minorities either. How is that a path to the nomination? 

Seems more like Trump's only hope is to get the socialist's votes now. 

He was beginning to edge up to the high 30's and a gradual acceptance of him potentially being the nominee.  If anyone is going to be honest about what happened, it's not as if Biden did something to make everyone coalesce around him at light speed.   It was the fear of Bernie winning the nomination.  That fear would have still existed without the Anderson Cooper interview but what that interview did was it crystalized that fear.  Without that Anderson Cooper interview, the speed and rate of how everyone coalesced around Biden wouldn't have happened the way it played out.  

It truly was a perfect storm of events that happened.

Just now, Magox said:

He was beginning to edge up to the high 30's and a gradual acceptance of him potentially being the nominee.  If anyone is going to be honest about what happened, it's not as if Biden did something to make everyone coalesce around him at light speed.   It was the fear of Bernie winning the nomination.  That fear would have still existed without the Anderson Cooper interview but what that interview did was it crystalized that fear.  Without that Anderson Cooper interview, the speed and rate of how everyone coalesced around Biden wouldn't have happened the way it played out.  

It truly was a perfect storm of events that happened.

What happened was Biden won South Carolina like he was counting on doing. Bernie couldn't win there and didn't. 

That had nothing to do with a CNN interview. Biden just won the people of the state over and he will win most of the votes in November, too. If that's enough to carry him over the handicap of the EC we will see. I suspect it will and we will have a new president next year.