Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

Is it too early to start a thread on the 2020 Democrat Presidential Primary? 

Corey Booker was in Iowa earlier this week.  There are reports that Mike Bloomberg is changing his party affiliation from R to D so he can throw his hat in. Biden is probably going to announce in January. Haven't heard much from Sanders or Warren, but they will likely be in the mix. Harris is a likelihood.  The Dem primaries are going to make the 2016 Republican filed look like a garden party. Pure entertainment is on the near horizon. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pulling for Corey Booker. Dude's such a joke I can't take him seriously. It tickles me when lefties get tingly over him. They think he's the next Obama.

He may be a clean, articulate, half-black guy, but he's no Obama. For all his shortcomings, Obama could read a hell of a speech. Booker can't speak for ****. He looks like a guy playing a politician in a Lifetime movie.

• Like (+1) 3

I think it's gonna end up being Pocahontas. That's a hell of a nickname to shake, but she's authentically far left and unapologetic about it. If there's one lesson we've learned from the past 3 elections, it's that nominating a moderate, "electable" candidate is a recipe for disaster.

Don't love the optics, but the field is not particularly strong. 

I've been really disappointed in Corey Booker since he joined the Senate and had his Spartacus embarrassment. I don't know he lives that down.

Sadly, I think Bernie Sanders wins it fairly easily if he runs despite his age.  Especially if their is a recession.  The populist movement is not over as people continue to lose faith in the federal government. Like Trump, the more the other side and some in his own party try to smear him the stronger he becomes.

The midterms are going to guide the direction a lot.  I don't see a change in the Senate, but if the house flips, then you might see a growing faction of Democrat Congressmen seeking a change in leadership.  If that happens, then you might then see some lesser known name be propped up by that group.

Some Dems are starting to hype up our former governor and Clinton pal Terry McCauliffe as a 2020 contender. He's got quite a few scandals surrounding him, going back to Global Crossing, but like the Clinton's always seems to come away without anyone challenging him on anything. He's always struck me as an amiable dunce who keeps lucking into one situation after another then escaping it before it starts to stink. If the media gets behind him who knows.

40 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Sadly, I think Bernie Sanders wins it fairly easily if he runs despite his age.  Especially if their is a recession.  The populist movement is not over as people continue to lose faith in the federal government. Like Trump, the more the other side and some in his own party try to smear him the stronger he becomes.

Gee imagine if the states had rice. Imagine if bee man and everybody else is wet dream came true that the 17th was revoked. 

The populist movement would be much better. Much more capable

57 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If Bernie were to win it he'd probably choose Kamala Harris to be his running mate.  Or Eric Holder.  He would need African American turnout to be pretty high and crazy uncle Bernie doesnt jazz up that part of the electorate.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

If Bernie were to win it he'd probably choose Kamala Harris to be his running mate.  Or Eric Holder.  He would need African American turnout to be pretty high and crazy uncle Bernie doesnt jazz up that part of the electorate.

Neither would align themselves to Sanders.  They would want their own identity and wait until 2024 when there is a clear field.  There is almost no way Trump doesn't win 2020.  A year ago I'd be displeased and almost scared by that fact. Now, it's abundantly clear that not only have the Democrats lost their way but Trump is doing fairly well and at this point has earned reelection. Can't wait until Trump conspired with Eritrea allegations begin 

None of those other names matter as the constant noise from Hillary Clinton tells me that once again the cards are stacked in her favor.  Yes, she said she was done right after the 2016 election but I don't believe her for one second.  She just wanted to drop out of the news cycle to regroup was all it was.  I don't think she has run out of dirty tricks nor has pitched out all the dirt she has found on others in her own party.  I'd love to be able to eavesdrop in on the highest level DNC meetings to know just how threatened they feel by her and what gambits they are willing to try to be rid of her.

Whoever it ends up being, they are a sacrificial lamb ala Bob Dole. I do not think this is a Bill Clinton case (where Bush's popularity collapsed after being a record high, and a semi-reasonable third-party candidate showed up to split the vote).

3 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Is Hillary's ego big enough to cause her to run again?

Seriously?  All she does as of late is snipe to the media about what is going on with Trump.  In her mind she should have been President back in 1992 with the 25th Amendment overturned along with the FBI hijacked to be her own personal hatchet squad.  Any other former candidate just drops out of politics by and large after a failed attempt.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Whoever it ends up being, they are a sacrificial lamb ala Bob Dole. I do not think this is a Bill Clinton case (where Bush's popularity collapsed after being a record high, and a semi-reasonable third-party candidate showed up to split the vote).

Not going to be a sacrificial lamb this time as Hillary knows this may be the last window for her.  I am surprised she has not announced at this point but must be getting antsy at this point.  She will probably wait until the midterms are over so she knows what approach she wants to use.

4 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I would never pretend that I was wise enough to take a stab at this with confidence, but I do think it would be a good idea not to rule out Michelle Obama.

Despite her claims I could see her running.  One problem is she has less experience than most potential candidate in that she never has been in Congress or the Senate nor been a governor of a state.  Hillary would consider Obama useful as Michelle would fill a field of straw men candidates for Clinton to slice through.  I doubt Michelle would readily push up to the bar to do that on the other hand.