Bojorquez should be cut

If you have watched the games every week you would bot be calling for this kids head. That blunder last week can not happen more than once or twice a season sure but the kid is a rookie. He has noticeably gotten better every week and given us a chance to pin teams inside their own ten a lot.

I assume this is troll job or someone looking for attention but here's a reply: 

The two long punt returns were due to poor tackling not because the runners had a clear lane.  The first game muff is excusable and had little/no bearing on the outcome and the muffed FG is a rookie mistake.  

IMO, he will be a long-time, better than average punter.  

23 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It bothered me when the announcers said Bojorquez has the most punts inside the 20 and is doing a great job yesterday. My personal opinion is that he has been pretty bad so far this season. 

Bojorquez is a little below average in terms of yards on punts (18th) and is perfectly average on net yards per punt (16th). After week 5 he has the 2nd most punts inside the 20.  

How could a punter with stats like that be bad? 

Simply put: hang-time, turnovers, and the Bills dreadful offense. 

He is dead last in hang time. That speaks for itself. A 48 yard punt with no hang time that gets returned 50 yards is not a good punt. We've given up 2 huge punt returns due to a lack of hang time that's resulted in FG's each time (Ravens and Titans game)

He's also directly responsible for 2 turnovers. The fumble against the Ravens in week 1 in the rain has been mostly forgotten (the game was laughable by that point anyway). The "fake" FG yesterday is the dumbest thing I've seen a punter do in quite some time. He pulls up to throw the ball and quickly realizes that he's the only guy on the Bills that thought the call was for a fake and puts the ball back down to try and have Hauschka kick it (who cannot kick at this point as his timing is screwed). How does Bojorquez realize it's not a fake in <1 second and react that quickly to put the ball back down? I think he just completely panicked on that play.

Lastly, the Bills dreadful offense. It's really easy to have a lot of punt yards when your offense is 31st in yards for (much longer field to work with). He has the 31 punt attempts (2nd most) in the league including 7 from the opponent's side of midfield. A punt from the opponents 47 yd line that goes out of bounds at the 19 is not a good punt, even it counts as an inside the 20. 

Found this little gem in a PFF article grading special team units through week 4: 

BUF-Bills-Header.png

SPECIAL TEAMS RANK: 18

Special teams was a big reason they played above their metrics last year, and their regression there hasn’t helped much this season.  New punter Corey Bojorquez has the lowest grade at his position group so far, accompanied by the lowest average hang time.

He is a Punter. 

Want a Solution. PLAY BETTER OFFENSE 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Didn't we sign that punter from Seattle John Ryan?

Whatever happened to that? 

Same thing that happened to Coleman, the WR they traded for from the Browns. They gave him 1 or 2 games then dropped him for someone else. I dont remember hearing about him signing anywhere else though...

23 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Same thing that happened to Coleman, the WR they traded for from the Browns. They gave him 1 or 2 games then dropped him for someone else. I dont remember hearing about him signing anywhere else though...

He got signed by the Pats. Eventually released. Then signed to the Pats PS. Then eventually released. Then he either worked out for or got signed to another PS. 

On 10/9/2018 at 12:45 PM, dneveu said:

He's a rookie. And Schmidt was one of the worst punters in the league. Sub 40 net average. Watch his punts against Seattle on MNF, legit cost us the game.

It is possible for players to improve over time.  Kid never got to punt in preseason and is still figuring out his coverage team here. 

Rex's last year - when that Seattle game was - was Schmidt's worst season. And he was still better than this clown. 

12 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Didn't we sign that punter from Seattle John Ryan?

Whatever happened to that? 

His leg dropped off a year ago. I said when he was signed "no leg left" and his pre-season showing confirmed it. 

13 hours ago, Success said:

He’s been great - one bad play.  It’s awesome to finally have a guy who can boom it over 50 fairly often.

He line drives it though. Give me a guy who kicks it 40 and hangs it every single time. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rex's last year - when that Seattle game was - was Schmidt's worst season. And he was still better than this clown. 

His leg dropped off a year ago. I said when he was signed "no leg left" and his pre-season showing confirmed it. 

He line drives it though. Give me a guy who kicks it 40 and hangs it every single time. 

He's been with the team 5 weeks, is a rookie, and for the most part has been fine.  He averaged 47.3 per punt in his last year of college, so the kid may actually have a pretty bomb leg.

I imagine it takes time to meld with your coverage team, and coach.  We're starting a rookie QB who is raw, and we aren't exactly lighting the world on fire.  Why not try and see if we can find someone with potential to be great at punter - vs. keeping who we had that was mediocre to poor.  

Edited by dneveu

14 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He's been with the team 5 weeks, is a rookie, and for the most part has been fine.  He averaged 47.3 per punt in his last year of college, so the kid may actually have a pretty bomb leg.

I imagine it takes time to meld with your coverage team, and coach.  We're starting a rookie QB who is raw, and we aren't exactly lighting the world on fire.  Why not try and see if we can find someone with potential to be great at punter - vs. keeping who we had that was mediocre to poor.  

I would say you are focusing far too much on the leg. Yes this kid has a big leg... but it is like having a QB with a big arm and none of the other requisite skills (I am talking in general not about Josh before anyone flames away). It is worthless. He is a big reason we keep giving up big returns.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would say you are focusing far too much on the leg. Yes this kid has a big leg... but it is like having a QB with a big arm and none of the other requisite skills (I am talking in general not about Josh before anyone flames away). It is worthless. He is a big reason we keep giving up big returns.

Right - but like... we're a team developing talent.  He has more raw ability than schmidt or ryan - the potential to be good/great some day.  Adding a new punter at this juncture isnt the difference between playoffs and non-playoffs.  So why not see if we can develop that potential?  

16 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Right - but like... we're a team developing talent.  He has more raw ability than schmidt or ryan - the potential to be good/great some day.  Adding a new punter at this juncture isnt the difference between playoffs and non-playoffs.  So why not see if we can develop that potential?  

I take that point. I just don't see the potential in this. I just see a guy who can kick it miles. That isn't potential to me it is just a big leg. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I take that point. I just don't see the potential in this. I just see a guy who can kick it miles. That isn't potential to me it is just a big leg. 

Yeah - i see what you're saying.  Hopefully they can tap into something and he can improve into a more well rounded punter.  Schmidt was really good with the coffin corners, and he would get the bounce back on his short punts.  However, Schmidts bad days were really really bad. 

In college it seems like you always line up straight behind the center and just kick the crap out of it.  He needs to better learn how to use where he's standing to trick the returner - how to create some different spin on the ball to make it trickier to return - in addition to better directional kicks and hangtime.

Edited by dneveu

On 10/9/2018 at 5:06 AM, BuffaloSol said:

That blunder last week can not happen more than once or twice a season sure but the kid is a rookie.

You think that blunder can happen twice in a season...because he's a rookie? Have you ever seen a holder just randomly stand up then immediately try to place the ball before?

17 hours ago, Success said:

He’s been great - one bad play.  It’s awesome to finally have a guy who can boom it over 50 fairly often.

It's actually been two horrible plays in 5 games.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

That long return last week was 90% blown tackle (I think Deon Lacey). 

27 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Agreed. How about we cut everybody, move the team to Toronto, and just start fresh with a new Bills franchise in a few years. 

No one is suggesting that, stop being ridiculous.  Our punter is making insane mistakes, this is a very appropriate discussion. Thankfully the team brought in two punters to workout so they're acknowledging the issue and looking into it.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

In a league where punters are being changed frequently, I don’t see the point in keeping someone who isn’t good just for the sake of hoping you can develop him. Put him on the practice squad if that’s what you want to do. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

In a league where punters are being changed frequently, I don’t see the point in keeping someone who isn’t good just for the sake of hoping you can develop him. Put him on the practice squad if that’s what you want to do. 

I don't really think that hes been this bad that we would have to do this.  JMO

I also don't claim to know much about the intricate layers of punting and punt coverage.  He's had a couple bad returns against him in 5 weeks, and I'm sure he has something to do with it.  I just don't really know if that's all on him, nor does PFF for that matter - there were quite a few missed tackles on the titans one... 

In any case - I'd like to see more fair catches, and more directional kicking.  But why all the hate on a rookie punter?  It's not like bringing in marquette king is going to get us to the super bowl.  If any thing it costs TP like 2 million dollars.

9 hours ago, fridge said:

You think that blunder can happen twice in a season...because he's a rookie? Have you ever seen a holder just randomly stand up then immediately try to place the ball before?

It's actually been two horrible plays in 5 games.

At least I've had a few people agree with me in this thread. I concur that the 2 blunders vastly outweigh the average yardage stats. 

I'm more concerned with what happened on that 'fake FG' than if he had just fumbled it or fully committed to the fake and threw an incompletion. The way he reacted I think he went into the play with the mindset that it's probably a fake, but he's not entirely sure, so if no one runs a route he's going to place the ball back down for Hauschka to kick it. The indecision baffles me. If he truly thought it was a fake why would he try to place the ball again?