Will we ever have an offense

Stroke 17

I've said this for the last several months. I'd rather lose a game 42-41 than lose 22-0. This organization has to commit 75% of its draft and FA resources on Offense.  We need 4-5 OL & maybe 5 new wrs. Probably another RB to replace McCoy. Build this team around Josh and worry about the defense later.

28 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I've said this for the last several months. I'd rather lose a game 42-41 than lose 22-0. This organization has to commit 75% of its draft and FA resources on Offense.  We need 4-5 OL & maybe 5 new wrs. Probably another RB to replace McCoy. Build this team around Josh and worry about the defense later.

the worst is losing bad when the opponent laughed away the entire 2nd half, 3 times already this year

1 hour ago, Stroke 17 said:

Actually one year ago September 26,2017 I had a stroke. Doctor said if you are a Bills fan it may have led to the stroke.

On a serious note: I am truly sorry to hear about that. Not intended about you, specifically; but, I think a lot of fans allow a game to negatively impact their lives way too much from an emotional perspective. I was guilty of it myself until I learned how to find a balance that works for me. Now, I enjoy my Sundays - no matter how the Bills play.

I hope all is well with you now, my friend!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Get ahead of sticks - less likely to have penalties running than pass blocking - less likely to get turnovers - set up PA...

Seems smart especially with a rookie QB.

I would hardly describe the situation Allen was put in as smart. Nor would I describe our offensive attack this season as smart. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I wouldn't ding them too badly for the 2nd half of the Vikings game when they clearly dialed things back after taking the 27-0 lead into the 2nd half.  Yesterday OTOH.......  :sick:

this made me laugh for some reason.  The Bills offensive dial has two speeds apparently... Juggernaut and Meh, Not Today....

Edited by B-Large

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

On a serious note: I am truly sorry to hear about that. Not intended about you, specifically; but, I think a lot of fans allow a game to negatively impact their lives way too much from an emotional perspective. I was guilty of it myself until I learned how to find a balance that works for me. Now, I enjoy my Sundays - no matter how the Bills play.

I hope all is well with you now, my friend!

Me too. My wife used to hate me on Sundays. I guess I've gotten so used to sucking, that I just let it slide off now. 

Either that, or having a child mellowed me out some.

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, mannc said:

Do you want the same people who passed on Mahomes and Watson, and traded up for Zay Jones, to be in charge of that project?  Are you interested in giving them a few more years?

Looks like we are stuck with McBean for a while. A few more years at the minimum. We have to except that. Not very confident they will build a true contender. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What I saw yesterday was highly offensive and I'm in favor of its execution.  Thank You John McKay.

Hey our passing yards stat with Tyrod was better i believe.....lol.....

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Part of cheering for this team is to embrace the suck 

About 90 percent for decades now of embracing the suck

"If thou long embrace the suckitude, the suckitude will also embrace thee." - Nietzsche.

Although I may have paraphrased him a little.

What I saw yesterday was highly offensive and I'm in favor of its execution.  Thank You John McKay.

That's better than I thought.  There's another team worse on total offense?

49 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

What was your opinion last week in Minnesota?

My opinion on last week was that we capitalized on Cousins incompetence and inability to hold onto the ball.

Also, Allen basically put the team on his shoulders to make some plays.....this week, GB shut him down and sputtered the whole offense.

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Probably not. We hire HCs who think because it gets cold here in the winter our offense needs to be built around running the ball. 

Stuff like that really irks me.  When you hear "football people" talking in those terms, you know they don't have a clue and are living in a world that vanished 25 years ago and more.

55 minutes ago, Sweats said:

My opinion on last week was that we capitalized on Cousins incompetence and inability to hold onto the ball.

Also, Allen basically put the team on his shoulders to make some plays.....this week, GB shut him down and sputtered the whole offense.

the Minnesota game was similar to our unrepeatable win record from last year.

It was totally the product of crazy luck with ball bounces  Look at the number of times Minnesota and the Bills put the ball on the ground, and look at the number of times a Bill happened to fall on it!  Look at the takeaway/giveaway ratios for each team!  

If that luck goes the other way, we may not have won that game.

Edited by Fadingpain

12 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Right now our offense has no identity. It has no talent. It’s just out there going through the motions.  I don’t understand what BB and McD are trying to build here.

Neither do they.

That's the problem.

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hmm? Let's see.  Sean McVay as the innovative play designer on a team that has invested heavily in a strong supporting cast to help Goff shine.  Please let this be the plan in 2019. 

It should have been the case last year.  Instead, we stripped things down and burned an entry level year off Allen's rookie deal.   

12 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Rex ruined a top 5 defense. McBeane has dismantled a top 10 offense. 

Like I've posted many times, none of this matters if Allen is a franchise QB. All the losses and wasted picks won't matter if he can play at a high level for years. McBeane will keep their jobs this year and will get 2019 to prove they know what they are doing.

So far overall the roster is far worse under their control but with a few areas of upgrade - DB,S,PK. The dead money is on them. The cap space is them as well. If they spend and draft well it still won't matter if Allen is a bust

Allen was my top choice. I'm ok but not happy with his play so far. I'm worried about missing some guys who were open on short throws while running or with some pressure and the dumb INT before the half. But the line is so bad and the WR are so bad that it is near impossible to judge.

^^^^Bingo. 

12 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Probably not. We hire HCs who think because it gets cold here in the winter our offense needs to be built around running the ball. 

This is not true. Although it should be because you need a balanced attack that can move the chains with the run or pass.

You have to admit that under Marrone and Ryan the Bills made it to 9-7, 8-8 with one of the best run games in the league. The problem was they had a QB that wouldn't throw unless the receiver was wide open so that passing game never attained more than a mediocre attack ranking near last in passing. 

Daboll has had problems getting the offense going because they have been behind in points in 3 out of 4 games and in this last game the Packers stuffed the run on 2nd, 3rd and short and it went downhill from there. If you can't run the ball it puts everything on a rookie QB to carry the offense and that is never a good option. 

From what I understand the game plan for the Packers game was to give Shady McCoy 20-25 touches and he saw only 5 rushing attempts, 3 receptions. So the game plan went out the window and onto Josh Allen's shoulders. 

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

This is not true. Although it should be because you need a balanced attack that can move the chains with the run or pass.

You have to admit that under Marrone and Ryan the Bills made it to 9-7, 8-8 with one of the best run games in the league. The problem was they had a QB that wouldn't throw unless the receiver was wide open so that passing game never attained more than a mediocre attack ranking near last in passing. 

Daboll has had problems getting the offense going because they have been behind in points in 3 out of 4 games and in this last game the Packers stuffed the run on 2nd, 3rd and short and it went downhill from there. If you can't run the ball it puts everything on a rookie QB to carry the offense and that is never a good option. 

From what I understand the game plan for the Packers game was to give Shady McCoy 20-25 touches and he saw only 5 rushing attempts, 3 receptions. So the game plan went out the window and onto Josh Allen's shoulders. 

It is.  Our last three HCs all believed in a run first, ball control office.  They bet (and likely still do) their jobs that a strong D and ball control offense is the way to win in Buffalo.    

54 minutes ago, stony said:

It is.  Our last three HCs all believed in a run first, ball control office.  They bet (and likely still do) their jobs that a strong D and ball control offense is the way to win in Buffalo.    

Perhaps I left out what the Bills have been attempting to run this year. Ball control run game is about the furthest offense from what Daboll calls as he has been calling a pass first, quick strike offense that hasn't been working.

The only reason the Bills had more rushing attempts then passing attempts last year was because the QB Taylor had 84 rush attempts with 427 yards rushing. I do believe that Dennison was attempting to pass more and Taylor just wouldn't throw it. 

Anyway, I really do want the Bills to run that ball control run first offense to take pressure off the rookie QB so he doesn't need to carry the offense all on his own. Marrone, Ryan, Lynn all had the right idea it's just they didn't have a decent QB.  Before them Gailey ran a pass first spread offense and went 4-12, 6-10, 6-10 in doing so. He didn't have a QB either.

:(

This is mostly what happens when you can’t tackle without a penalty flag and you can’t sack a QB without same. It’s funny, the NFL is doing everything it can to outlaw playing defense and scoring is up in a huge way as a result. Meanwhile , the Bills offense can barely manage an occasional first down. 

14 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Right now our offense has no identity. It has no talent. It’s just out there going through the motions.  I don’t understand what BB and McD are trying to build here.

You have top understand though that this was Beanes 1st draft, to me the idea was to rid this roster of all underachievers and players who don't fit... (Dareus, Watkins, Ragland, Darby etc) , we will now have 80+M in cap space, to go along with more draft picks. Our OL would have looked quite different if not for both Wood/Incognito retirements, I think we'll get a very good idea what this regime is about after next season, good or bad. 

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

Just want to remind everyone Mahomes wasn't good enough for our dumbass coach. Imagine taking Mahomes and having ALL 6 of those picks from this year.

That is how you turn a team around. Instead we got 7 foot tall bambi. 

Well first of all they got the extra pick in the first round by trading down and not taking Mahomes. 

Second, drafting Mahomes doesn't bring Buffalo Andy Ried, Kelce, Hunt, and the other weapons they have.

But your point is well taken. White looks like a star but perhaps they passed on a star QB.  Time will tell. 

21 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

This reason is part of the reason I wish the Bills would build a dome. It's not like the weather plays into our advantage seeing as most players come from the south. It would stop this non-sense we need to run the ball to be successful in Buffalo.  Also, 7 out of the 20 games McBeane have under their belt in this regime, the Bills have lost by 20+ points. 

That' scary bad.

Please no ... part of the history of the Bills is the weather .. indoor teams are panzies (see Detroit, Indy, Cowboys, Texans, Arizona)

image.png.6dfafbc8e9565c0fe1e1e6e66b49e477.png

22 hours ago, wppete said:

Looks like we are stuck with McBean for a while. A few more years at the minimum. We have to except that. Not very confident they will build a true contender. 

We could use some serious upgrades in the OC department to maximize whatever supporting talent around Allen that there is. Someone else commented that it would not be a good look for McD to fire his 2nd OC in 4 games such that it probably wouldn't happen, but it also was not a good look to have to pull Peterman after a half of football (twice) after inserting him as the starter (twice), and yet, he did it for the good of the team, regardless of how it made him look. So I'm not convinced that McD isn't capable of pulling a plug here or there if he thinks that it's necessary regardless of his own ego. The bigger question is how does it affect his credibility with ownership as I'm sure he originally sold Daboll to Terry at the time of hire... 

• Like (+1) 1