Who is Our Biggest Competition in the Division Going Forward?

Disclaimer: The following question is assuming Brady retires. My guess is this is it for him. Just a gut feeling. Then again, they may not be an automatic lock to win the division with the current roster as is. Nevertheless, the below question is geared toward 2019 and beyond.

Jets have the franchise QB, yet are lacking alot in other areas. Dolphins offense is a concern, yet they have good defensive pieces.

So out of the Fins and Jets, which one will we be competing with most for the division moving forward?

I think, in a few years, the AFCE will go from one great team and three crappy teams to three great teams and one crappy team (NE).

I also think that - long term - the Jets and Bills will have an awesome rivalry and they will be the two teams who battle it out each year for the top spot.

• Like (+1) 4

....too early presently.......can't count out the Pats....."wounded animals" are dangerous........how many times in recent years has the 6 foot hole been dug with tombstones and topsoil ordered?......not sure about Fins sustainability over the entire season........Darnold kid has talent but Bowles?...meh.......bowles movement.........AFCE parity longer term though............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think, in a few years, the AFCE will go from one great team and three crappy teams to three great teams and one crappy team (NE).

I also think that - long term - the Jets and Bills will have an awesome rivalry and they will be the two teams who battle it out each year for the top spot.

Agreed. Unless the Patriots find a stud QB, they're screwd. 

19 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Disclaimer: The following question is assuming Brady retires. My guess is this is it for him. Just a gut feeling. Then again, they may not be an automatic lock to win the division with the current roster as is. Nevertheless, the below question is geared toward 2019 and beyond.

Jets have the franchise QB, yet are lacking alot in other areas. Dolphins offense is a concern, yet they have good defensive pieces.

So out of the Fins and Jets, which one will we be competing with most for the division moving forward?

Darnold has a penchant for turnovers. Turnovers will kill you in the NFL. If that doesn't change it wont matter how many yards he throws for, the Jets will not be any better than a 9 win team most years.

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....too early presently.......can't count out the Pats....."wounded animals" are dangerous........how many times in recent years has the 6 foot hole been dug with tombstones and topsoil ordered?......not sure about Fins sustainability over the entire season........Darnold kid has talent but Bowles?...meh.......bowles movement.........AFCE parity longer term though............

Pats will still win the division most likely this year. I don't buy the Miami hype at this point. Jets are OK their D can play with anyone at times but their offense isn't anything special and Darnold still turns the ball over too much just like he did in college.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Darnold has a penchant for turnovers. Turnovers will kill you in the NFL. If that doesn't change it wont matter how many yards he throws for, the Jets will not be any better than a 9 win team most years.

Pats will still win the division most likely this year. I don't buy the Miami hype at this point. Jets are OK their D can play with anyone at times but their offense isn't anything special and Darnold still turns the ball over too much just like he did in college.

....I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment......damn Pats always seem to find a way.......ONLY exception was going a formidable 11-5 with Cassell when Brady went down and missing the playoffs.....astonishing.......14 AFCE titles is absurd but earned (DAMMIT)............

24 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Totally agree.

The way I see it, the AFCE could become a division similar to the AFCN of recent memory. Bills and Jets vying for top dog each year in a tense rivalry (Ravens and Steelers) with the Dolphins constantly in the mix and sometimes a bit better (Bengals) while the Pats* are miserable (Browns).

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Philo Beddoe said:

Totally agree.

The way I see it, the AFCE could become a division similar to the AFCN of recent memory. Bills and Jets vying for top dog each year in a tense rivalry (Ravens and Steelers) with the Dolphins constantly in the mix and sometimes a bit better (Bengals) while the Pats* are miserable (Browns).

I would love for this to come to fruition.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

Totally agree.

I dont see the Dolphins as being anything more than a 7-9 win team most years. I don't buy Tannehill as a franchise QB.

I foresee a future high level of parity between all the AFCE (yes, even the Brady/Belichik-less New England will be in the mix).

There won't be a team X or Y who will be the Bills nemesis year in and year out---like NE is now, and Miami was in the 70's.

There will be no romantic old style rivalries in the age of parity where "it's hard to win in the NFL."

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

The Jets are talking about firing their coach and GM which means starting over...again..for them. 

Even if they are, that just means that the new guy will be walking into a great situation. Tons of cap room, some young talent, the Pats finally having to envision life post-Bill and Tom, etc. Think about it: the Rams didn’t miss Jeff Fisher. The Bears won’t miss John Fox. The exception to the rule: how dearly we miss Rex Ryan ....

4 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Who said the Jets have a “franchise QB”?  Darnold looks more like a bust, to me.

5 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

The Jets, Dolphins, and Patriots!

20 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment......damn Pats always seem to find a way.......ONLY exception was going a formidable 11-5 with Cassell when Brady went down and missing the playoffs.....astonishing.......14 AFCE titles is absurd but earned (DAMMIT)............

15 since 2001 (9-7 & missed in 02. 11-5 & missed in 2008 without Brady). I think their "success" comes with an asterisk. First things, the division has been atrocious in that timeframe. Secondly, spygate & deflategate.