What if Steve Beuerlein called the Vikings game

Billsfan1972

I really hated how negative he was with respect to Josh Allen vs. the Chargers.  I though he nit picked and expected him to make every correct read an d touch passes in his first start.

Compare that to Romo yesterday and one wonders if the roles had been reversed.  

What I am finding is with these rookie QB's I'm paying very close attention to how they play and maybe more so how the commentators react.

• Like (+1) 2

SB:

"Yea, look right there Kirk Cousins is stripped by Jerry Hughes. Now that's something the rookie just should not let happen. He has to get better. Its on him"

"That leap by Allen to the pylon, he can't just knock that over. Someone has to pick it up. Josh Allen is a litterer"

"Josh Allen needs to Learn that when you leap over former Pro Bowl LBers, gotta get the testies in his face. He needs to learn from this. He's just not there yet."

"Foster missing that perfectly thrown ball, Allen has to get better there. He needs to walk upfield and hand a guy like Foster the ball. He's fast, he went to Bama. Josh Allen should be neutered as soon as this game is over."

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I really hated how negative he was with respect to Josh Allen vs. the Chargers.  I though he nit picked and expected him to make every correct read an d touch passes in his first start.

What I am finding is with these rookie QB's I'm paying very close attention to how they play and maybe more so how the commentators react.

I thought Beuerlein actually was pretty supportive of Josh.  He seemed to qualify anything remotely negative with the observation that Josh is young and will get better.  I thought he was accurate in his analysis and fair as well.

Romo is a great analyst.  No question.  As for his comments re Josh, I think it would have been easier for anyone to be more effusive in their praise of Josh when analyzing yesterday's game compared to last week.  Josh was much better . . . and it is to be expected that he would get better with more experience.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I also noticed Beuerlein. If a lineman missed a block it was Allen's fault.

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Buehrlein might’ve been a little harsh toward Allen but Allen made it easy for all of his critics last week considering how poorly he played. 

I also think Beuerlein’s point wasn’t how bad Allen is but rather how difficult it is to be a rookie QB in this league in general.

12 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Have you ever considered that when you play well you get criticized less than when you don't play well? :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Buehrlein might’ve been a little harsh toward Allen but Allen made it easy for all of his critics last week considering how poorly he played. 

I also think Beuerlein’s point wasn’t how bad Allen is but rather how difficult it is to be a rookie QB in this league in general.

And he threw for 245, completed 60% of his passes and was competent in his first NFL game.  Yes this week was easy, but Beuerlein continually was nothing but negative.  Darnold walks on water by comparison.

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Well, Allen did play much better this game.    Beuerlein was also operating from the assumption that it's JA's job to call the protections, which it may or may not have been - but either way, they were clearly better set this week.  I think Daboll also game plan that was better for Allen, focused on short quick passes with just a few bombs to keep the D honest. 

So I think the Beuerlein would have been more positive overall if he'd been calling the game this week. 

But I still prefer Romo, he just loves the game of football and wants rookies to succeed and it shows through how he calls the game.  I think if I met them in a bar, Romo would impress me as a guy I'd like to buy a beer for and meet again, and Beuerlein would impress me as a bit of a stick.  Romo is a glass-half-full guy and Beuerlein sees it as his job to critique the depth of the beer and the size of the glass. 

Of course that's just based on their game calling and could be totally unfair.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Have you ever considered that when you play well you get criticized less than when you don't play well? :ph34r:

He didn't play bad vs. the Chargers (or maybe the last 17 years of watching the Bills play may have coloured my opinion).

Edited by Billsfan1972

17 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I loved Steve B breaking down the plays. I didn't think he was negative at all. He pointed out what he did right and wrong. He also said he will correct those errors over time. I think he was very fair and I liked watching him circling the screen like Madden all game while breaking down plays.

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He didn't play bad vs. the Chargers (or maybe the last 17 years of watching the Bills play may have coloured my opinion).

He didn't play as well in that game as he did in the Viking game. Romo is already one of the best analysts in the game .Buerlein is a very solid analyst in the business. In the Charger game he was more than fair-minded regardless if you have watched for 17 yrs or 50. 

22 minutes ago, wppete said:

Romo is the best commentator in sports. Period. Hope he does all our games. 

God no. He doesn't shut up. Doesn't really say anything beyond the obvious or easy to read/understand. For some it may be unique and great to get some of the inner workings of how the game works on a play by play developing level but for me it's just annoying. Shut up, show me the good replay and let me see the obvious.

Romo has very seldom, in my experience, brought light on something not obvious to the viewer who knows football.

16 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That's not exactly fair Allen was much better this game than last. Odds are Romo would of been more critical last game and Beuerlein would of been less this game.

Agree.  Allen did miss receivers in week 2.  He was half-decent, at times he looked exactly like it was his first start.  That's why I loved this week, improved poise, touch, accuracy.  Most of his incompletions were dropped or contested balls. His dumbest play was an AWESOME hurdle for a first down.

I had to listen to the chargers game on the radio, but it sounds like he may have just been giving a lot of constructive criticism. He is a qb, so maybe he focused a bit more attention on the josh, rather than the line, etc. he was on the radio in buffalo, the next day, and couldn't say enough good things about Allen. Something along the line that he has a chance to be the best of this class. Talked a lot about how you just want to see one or two things getting corrected or at least noticeably worked on, from game to game. 

57 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

To be fair, while it sounded negative he was just calling what he seen from a former starting quarterbacks eyes which I fully appreciated.

i thought he hated Allen the way he critiqued him all game, then in the 4th quarter he said he thought Allen was the best quarterback in this draft and was #1 on his board. 

He looked like a rookie outclassed against LA, not so much against Minnesota 

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Romo is the best commentator in sports. Period. Hope he does all our games. 

I never liked him as a player but he is absolutely my favorite announcer. He explains the complexities of the game that only a former QB could, but still manages to break it down in a way that anyone can understand. He seemed to genuinely enjoy watching JA yesterday.

52 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I loved Steve B breaking down the plays. I didn't think he was negative at all. He pointed out what he did right and wrong. He also said he will correct those errors over time. I think he was very fair and I liked watching him circling the screen like Madden all game while breaking down plays.

I would agree with this. Pointing out mistakes that a rookie starting his first ever game made is not the same thing as being negative. He wasn't trashing Allen last week, he was just telling the audience what a rookie QB (and the coaching staff) needs to work on.

13 hours ago, Koko78 said:

I would agree with this. Pointing out mistakes that a rookie starting his first ever game made is not the same thing as being negative. He wasn't trashing Allen last week, he was just telling the audience what a rookie QB (and the coaching staff) needs to work on.

Well then do that when Brady misses reads & open receivers & I'll agree with you.  The issue is that almost every play has one receiver open and it comes down to whether the QB was given the right call, made the right decision and executed the play.

Bueurlein went relentlessly after Allen on it seemed every play.

I saw mistakes, but also 245 yards passing, which the Bills accomplished all of 4 times last year.  Yesterday he threw for 170 in the first half and all of 7 pass plays in the second half.

15 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Let it go. You have much more important things to worry about.

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Well then do that when Brady misses reads & open receivers & I'll agree with you.  The issue is that almost every play has one receiver open and it comes down to whether the QB was given the right call, made the right decision and executed the play.

Bueurlein went relentlessly after Allen on it seemed every play.

I saw mistakes, but also 245 yards passing, which the Bills accomplished all of 4 times last year.  Yesterday he threw for 170 in the first half and all of 7 pass plays in the second half.

Yeah, because telling the audience what a rookie starting his first ever game needs to work on  is totes the same thing as calling out an 18 year vet with 5 Super Bowl Rings.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Let it go. You have much more important things to worry about.

Apparently not. It's very important to agonize for weeks over perceived slights to the Bills' rookie QB.

17 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Nobody is worse than Chris collinsworth. I’d rather listen to the sound of two senior citizen men making out than listen to collinsworth talk about football 

That could probably be arranged. Heck it may already be a ringtone.

...new competition on the block??...............

The NFL is expanding its coverage of “Thursday Night Football” to Amazon Prime Video beginning in Week 4, and the duo providing commentary for this week’s game and beyond will be making history.

Amazon announced on Tuesday that longtime journalists Hannah Storm and Andrea Kremer will be calling the games for the live stream over the next 11 weeks. Greg Hart, Vice President of Prime Video, noted that the two women will become the first female duo to ever call an NFL game.