Bills Release WR Jeremy Kerley; Sign DT Robert Thomas from PS

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, Peter said:

As I have said, I think that the record last year was a mirage given the other metrics.  I said well before the season that I was expecting the team to be worse this year.  The historic and embarrassing loss to the Ravens just confirmed what I already believed.

I hope they can turn it around, but I think that this year is going to be a very tough and depressing year.  

I just hope that Josh can develop and does not get crushed (physically and otherwise) in the process.

I agree with Allen.  Focus on that.  Make your life easier.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Here's the thing though.  They watched preseason.  They watched the first game.  They evaluate players all through that time.  So we have to assume they felt Washington was a liability.  Do you then keep him just to say you have 4 DTs?  Or do you get rid of a guy not performing?

All 4 DTs are a liability. Apparently they didn't look at tape when they decided which WR to drop. To top it off, KB is now saying that it wasn't that bad. That's a level of complacency from the top down that will set them back for years.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Without the Cordy Glenn trade with the Bengals that moved us up the board the Bills would not have been able to draft Josh Allen. I would make that deal any day of the week. 

you're focusing on one or two moves that I have no problems with. There are other, very head scratching, moves.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I agree with Allen.  Focus on that.  Make your life easier.

I am prepared for the rest as well so that I am not overly disappointed.

I hate to be Debbie downer, but I find myself being very realistic with my view of the current "braintrust" and the state of our team. 

I am excited to see what Josh can do.  

We have a tall slow guy in his contract year that doesn't want to try, a guy who catches with the back of his hands like a sea lion who had to literally be talked off a ledge, another tall guy whose very best quality as a WR is he's good on special teams, a 6th round rookie who's hurt and a guy who didn't even start in college.

Yeah, we don't need Josh freakin' Gordon. He'd ruin the WR room if not the whole team!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

All 4 DTs are a liability. Apparently they didn't look at tape when they decided which WR to drop. To top it off, KB is now saying that it wasn't that bad. That's a level of complacency from the top down that will set them back for years.

They are clearing guys out.  KB will not be immune if he has another half ass effort like last week.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

We have a tall slow guy in his contract year that doesn't want to try, a guy who catches with the back of his hands like a sea lion who had to literally be talked off a ledge, another tall guy whose very best quality as a WR is he's good on special teams, a 6th round rookie who's hurt and a guy who didn't even start in college.

Yeah, we don't need Josh freakin' Gordon. He'd ruin the WR room if not the whole team!

You cannot count on the guy.  How many chances does he get?

For those of you bringing up Cordy Glenn:

The Buffalo Bills without Cordy gave up 6 sacks against the Ravens.

The Bengals with Cordy Glenn gave up 0 sacks against the Ravens.

I am not sure whether Josh Allen is a franchise QB, but I know that his (and any other QB's) job is a lot easier with a better offensive line.  In my view, that is what allowed Dak Prescott, for example, to be successful as a rookie.  

I am sure there were other assets to give up if necessary other than Cordy.  In any event, McBeane bet the farm . . . and probably their future with the Bills . . . on Josh Allen . . . , and, in my view, could have done a better job of putting Josh in a position to make his job easier to succeed.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1

The thing most concerning thing to me about how our roster is being handled is that we have known we were down 3 o-linemen months and months ago. We knew we had basically table scraps at wide receiver months and months ago.

We did nothing about that?! Not only did we do nothing but we draft a quarterback to sit behind an “experienced vet” so he wouldn’t have to eat from a  straw after his rookie year. McDamnit then proceeds to TRADE THE VET and make our rookie literally take their lumps and be held accountable for their lack of action.

Now our rookie has less than starters being trusted to keep him upright and at a point when we had table scraps at wide receiver already we throw away Kerley. He isn’t even a “really good” receiver but he was starting caliber for us. 

• Like (+1) 2

Lol just pack it in boys. You can never have too many dts. 

Sure why not just take what speed we had in that group when we are starting a rookie QB with a laser beam arm

10 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

YES 

lets Sign a DT and Release a WR way to help Allen Jesus 

begining to question the process 

Just starting now huh MAJ

6 minutes ago, SJDK said:

The thing most concerning thing to me about how our roster is being handled is that we have known we were down 3 o-linemen months and months ago. We knew we had basically table scraps at wide receiver months and months ago.

We did nothing about that?! Not only did we do nothing but we draft a quarterback to sit behind an “experienced vet” so he wouldn’t have to eat from a  straw after his rookie year. McDamnit then proceeds to TRADE THE VET and make our rookie literally take their lumps and be held accountable for their lack of action.

Now our rookie has less than starters being trusted to keep him upright and at a point when we had table scraps at wide receiver already we throw away Kerley. He isn’t even a “really good” receiver but he was starting caliber for us. 

IMO McBeane thinks you can win in this league playing defense and being conservative on offense. The funny thing is they draft a QB  a big arm and then decide to take away any possible weapons he did have. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

IMO McBeane thinks you can win in this league playing defense and being conservative on offense. The funny thing is they draft a QB  a big arm and then decide to take away any possible weapons he did have. 

is Daboll from run heavy offenses because I could of sworn he wasn't either.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

People are up in arms over a Jeremy Kerley release? Has it really gotten to Buffalo Bills message board bad in here already? It's Jeremy freakin Kerley people, what help was he really going to give Josh Allen? What help has he given any QB throughout his tenure in the NFL?

It is not just him.  If it were just him, you would not see this reaction.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

People are up in arms over a Jeremy Kerley release? Has it really gotten to Buffalo Bills message board bad in here already? It's Jeremy freakin Kerley people, what help was he really going to give Josh Allen? What help has he given any QB throughout his tenure in the NFL?

Then why keep him on the week 1 roster and make his salary guaranteed?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, jtothebrown said:

I sincerely hope Pegula dosent do to this team what hes done to the Sabres.

I have no faith that this GM will make the right FA moves with our money next year or draft the best possible player of need for our team.

Someone show me a great trade or fa acqusition they have made thus far?

Ill hang up and listen!

This is my biggest issue. This off season is our chance to go worst to first. And these guys will turn our 10 picks into 5 and spend big money on star lotouleileis. (I like he is here by the way). Their drafts have been mediocre and fa has been crap

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They released a guy making no money who is least likely to sign with someone else. No salary implications and they will probably be able to sign him back. Cutting Holmes has cap implications and they must feel they would lose McCloud and Foster. This move makes sense. 

It doesn't make sense. It would be one thing to release Kerley so they could add more help for the offense. Nope they needed to add another defensive player. Only the Bills would make it as hard as possible for their rookie QB to succeed. 

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Because they needed a 4th DT? People are freaking out over 1.13M in dead cap ?  Am I missing more to this story?

It just seems yet another spot of poor planning, no? I don’t think anyone’s having a melt over $1m alone. A poor plan but not a huge deal. Roll it into a pattern of questionable calls and it adds up to a reasonable discussion 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I have no clue what you mean.

Don't want to speak for anyone but I think he means that they didn't do much to fix the glaring lack of quality WR. They didn't do much to fix the glaring lack of quality OL. They didn't do much to fix the glaring lack of quality QB except for Josh. So this getting rid of another WR when they didnt have good ones to start with got a cumulative response rather than it just being about Jerome Kerley or no Jerome Kerley. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It just seems yet another spot of poor planning, no? I don’t think anyone’s having a melt over $1m alone. A poor plan but not a huge deal. Roll it into a pattern of questionable calls and it adds up to a reasonable discussion 

I'm trying to see what you guys are seeing, maybe I'm just not as objective as many of you I'm not sure. Ok we just cut a WR, promoted a DT from the practice squad and have to pay Kerley 1.13M who may even be brought back so what is the poor planning that you speak of if you say the bonus money isn't the option? I'm assuming they thought the DT was a more important than a WR with 2 catches 7 yards and a 3.5 avg, not trying to be a tool I'm just trying to wrap my head around why everyone is ballistic.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I'm trying to see what you guys are seeing, maybe I'm just not as objective as many of you I'm not sure. Ok we just cut a WR, promoted a DT from the practice squad and have to pay Kerley 1.13M who may even be brought back so what is the poor planning that you speak of if you say the bonus money isn't the option? I'm assuming they thought the DT was a more important than a WR with 2 catches 7 yards and a 3.5 avg, not trying to be a tool I'm just trying to wrap my head around why everyone is ballistic.

What you're missing is for this week Allen has been practicing with these receivers and then on the day before his first start they drop one of their most experienced ones. That's what I think a lot of people are upset about Allen has an uphill battle to climb already and this doesn't seem likely to help him.

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The Bills don't have much at WR to begin with and then they release one to add more defense. Thats why people are going ballistic. Instead of helping their rookie QB they just making more of an uphill battle for him. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

The Bills don't have much at WR to begin with and then they release one to add more defense. Thats why people are going ballistic. Instead of helping their rookie QB they just making more of an uphill battle for him. 

If Josh Allen is the QB I think he is he's going to make guys like Holmes, Benjamin and Jones look like all star WRs out there, the WR doesn't make the QB, the QB makes the WR unless you have Jerry Rice on your roster, last time I checked there is no Jerry Rice. Jeremy kerley was never going to be a factor in this game, I get it that he was a veteran WR but that's all he was and nothing more. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Well, I’d chill with the rhetoric with phrases like ballistic. Maybe sub in a word like critical.

from there, take the 1.13m we just flushed for a single game from kerley. Add 3 more for Coleman. You are starting to get towards “why not just sign a decent wr instead of wasting money”

then look at DT with 20m tied up in dareus/star. Think carrying dareus and signing an OT or OG would’ve been better for this roster?

then, look at the 10m in QBs not on the roster and peterman starting the season for us.

then look at vontae 

then Trent ped Murphy.

then paying dimarco for like 2 snaps.

you start to see why people are questioning resource allocation and if better planning avoids some of this.

yes we have a lot of dead money but did we inflict that unnecessarily? And did we waste some that we spent? Is guaranteeing a guy over $1m and cutting him less than a week later good business?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Well, I’d chill with the rhetoric with phrases like ballistic. Maybe sub in a word like critical.

from there, take the 1.13m we just flushed for a single game from kerley. Add 3 more for Coleman. You are starting to get towards “why not just sign a decent wr instead of wasting money”

then look at DT with 20m tied up in dareus/star. Think carrying dareus and signing an OT or OG would’ve been better for this roster?

then, look at the 10m in QBs not on the roster and peterman starting the season for us.

then look at vontae 

then Trent ped Murphy.

then paying dimarco for like 2 snaps.

you start to see why people are questioning resource allocation and if better planning avoids some of this.

yes we have a lot of dead money but did we inflict that unnecessarily? And did we waste some that we spent? Is guaranteeing a guy over $1m and cutting him less than a week later good business?

Trust the process.  Smash mouth 1960's football is what the older fans want anyways. For that all you need is a good RB and a decent defense. Who wants to see a high powered offense. 6-3 games are where its at.