MNF: jets vs lions

Steptide

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I'm not watching but based on Twitter Darnold is the greatest quarterback to ever grace the planet and we're all blessed by God to be witnesses. Is that true?

His first pass was a pick six and he got a lucky TD. The same kind of TD catch that was "impossible" for Foster to make yesterday.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

I'm not watching but based on Twitter Darnold is the greatest quarterback to ever grace the planet and we're all blessed by God to be witnesses. Is that true?

90% of his throws are 5 yard uncontested passes, his receivers actually get seperation. His last TD throw should have been intercepted but still he looks in control and for the most part is making good decisions..

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

As good as the throw and catch were, it was even better recognition by Darnold. He's good. 

I just went back and watched it again after you said that. He had all day. He looked at the safety and when he looked at his second read there was no one covering Anderson at all. He was ten yards open. I'm not sure that was such great recognition, I think most any decent QB would have seen and done the same thing. 

Jet's seem to have more talent on offense plain and simple.  We had OC's who could run the ball and get guys open deep.   We went from having multiple recievers who could take the top off a defense to having a group of WR's that teams check off as a vacation day.  Allen and Darnold could probably be almost interchangeable.  Put Mills, Ducasse, and Miller in front of Darnold and ask him to throw to Zay and KB and I'm not sure he'd be doing as well.  I still have hope Zay will come around but that is doesn't have a ton of life left.  KB can't be slow and have bad hands and expect to last much longer either.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

His first pass was a pick six and he got a lucky TD. The same kind of TD catch that was "impossible" for Foster to make yesterday.

Just watched the replay. A WR making a play on the ball by adjusting to it and catching it with his hands? Someone please warn @Sky Diver not to watch as his head will explode.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I just went back and watched it again after you said that. He had all day. He looked at the safety and when he looked at his second read there was no one covering Anderson at all. He was ten yards open. I'm not sure that was such great recognition, I think most any decent QB would have seen and done the same thing. 

It was great recognition because he saw the safety move up on the shorter route while he was keeping his eyes downfield while under duress and moving around trying to buy extra time. I disagree that most QBs would have seen and done the same thing because week after week for decades I've seen too many QBs NOT do that very same thing. 

Just watched the replay. A WR making a play on the ball by adjusting to it and catching it with his hands? Someone please warn @Sky Diver not to watch as his head will explode.

While I agree that Robbie Anderson made a great catch and reached for the ball a little behind him, the Foster pass was five yards too short. The Darnold pass was very close to right on the money. 

While I agree that Robbie Anderson made a great catch and reached for the ball a little behind him, the Foster pass was five yards too short. The Darnold pass was very close to right on the money. 

"Five yards too short"

Does this look like five yards away from Foster's hands to anyone else?

foster2.jpg.3d057aef087154e8fcb9dd59b8c63d63.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

It was great recognition because he saw the safety move up on the shorter route while he was keeping his eyes downfield while under duress and moving around trying to buy extra time. I disagree that most QBs would have seen and done the same thing because week after week for decades I've seen too many QBs NOT do that very same thing. 

Ha. You may be right. And certainly right about Bills quarterbacks not doing that. I'll settle for good recognition and good throw. Still should have been knocked down or intercepted by that same safety you said he did such a great job on. ;)

Just now, Doc said:

The difference in the game is protection for each QB.

The difference in poster’s perception of the games is that one guy is a Bill and the other guy is a Jet.

If Allen did the things Darnold was doing Bills fans would be singing his praises like he’s the 2nd coming.

But because of our allegiances we downplay Darnolds play and make Allen sound better than he’s looked.

"Five yards too short"

Nice screen shot.

I'm going to come out and say right now that I think our WRs will suddenly get a lot better if they go into every game knowing Allen is throwing to them  :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

"Five yards too short"

The ball bounced off the defenser’s back. It was not an easy play to make. It could

have been made but I’m not killing a guy for not making it.

The throw, however, could have been better.

2 minutes ago, MDH said:

The ball bounced off the defenser’s back. It was not an easy play to make. It could

have been made but I’m not killing a guy for not making it.

The throw, however, could have been better.

I agree with what everyone is saying but I think the larger story here is that the WR's we have don't make plays like that and Robbie Anderson did.  The throw in both cases was less than perfect and in both cases you can't really blame the WR if they don't catch it but Anderson did and Foster didn't and that is usually the way the ball bounces in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

Foster slowed way, way down. If the pass was five yards longer it would have hit him on the dead run. It was way short. 

You have the All-22?

And even if that was true, what does a slightly imperfect pass have to do with Foster's inability to make a play he should have?

6 minutes ago, MDH said:

The difference in poster’s perception of the games is that one guy is a Bill and the other guy is a Jet.

If Allen did the things Darnold was doing Bills fans would be singing his praises like he’s the 2nd coming.

But because of our allegiances we downplay Darnolds play and make Allen sound better than he’s looked.

It's not hard to see the difference in protection Darnold is getting tonight versus what Allen got yesterday.  Not to mention they were playing the pass and had no regard for the run.

Just now, Maine-iac said:

I agree with what everyone is saying but I think the larger story here is that the WR's we have don't make plays like that and Robbie Anderson did.  The throw in both cases was less than perfect and in both cases you can't really blame the WR if they don't catch it but Anderson did and Foster didn't and that is usually the way the ball bounces in Buffalo.

That is true. Anderson made a great play. Foster has not been making those plays. Although he is a UDFA playing in his first game in the rain. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

It's not hard to see the difference in protection Darnold is getting tonight versus what Allen got yesterday.  Not to mention they were playing the pass and had no regard for the run.

I don’t disagree that the protection is better, just finding it humorous how people view the performances in general.  

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Under duress? He had all day with the ball. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, MDH said:

Darnold gave the Lions 7 points. Just handed it to them. One of the very very worst things you can do. His TD was very nice but also easily could have been another pick. Darnold had a nice run, Allen had two nicer runs. Darnold held the ball too long a couple times and got sacked, even though he had much better protection, Josh held the ball a couple times too long and got sacked. Darnold has yet to throw as many really nice passes as Josh did, although it's close. And they both had about a half. 

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Under duress? He had all day with the ball. 

Perhaps duress was over-stating it, but he was moving around in the pocket waiting for the play to develop and took advantage of a poor safety play in the process. 

You try taking a snap in an NFL game and tell me you don't feel some duress, regardless of how much time you have.