Accountability

Kirby Jackson

6 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

No offense, but when you're trying to get wins, you may respond, "who cares"?  Player respect is far more important than what fans think.

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. 

Unless he plans on becoming a much better HC he'd be wise to learn how to be a bit more communicative with the public because there is nothing that the bothers the Pegula's like criticism in the media.

Anyone expecting them to ignore it the way the Ford family or the Brown family do haven't been following them.

53 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. 

Unless he plans on becoming a much better HC he'd be wise to learn how to be a bit more communicative with the public because there is nothing that the bothers the Pegula's like criticism in the media.

Anyone expecting them to ignore it the way the Ford family or the Brown family do haven't been following them.

The public are idiots. Belichick knows this and has given nothing for decades. Most other great coaches are the same. As much as I dislike McD, it's not his job to do the reporters job for them. He's polite to a fault and answers questions. Not getting caught in saying something he shouldn't is a plus in my book.

Coaches that don't do that like Rex, Dennis Greene, and Jim Mora get run out of the league, never to be heard from again.

13 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think he likes to insulate his players from public criticism while giving it to them straight behind closed doors. 

Yeah I think the same thing...I'm sure it wasn't so calm behing closed doors. He keeps "family business" within the family.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do you think that the players will respect him if he runs Peterman out there again? Do you think that they all still respect him for doing that yesterday? 

No.  Did my comment lead you to think that I think otherwise?

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

This seals the deal.

Is this surprising to anyone?  It just confirms that coaching and "managing the fans' perceptions" have little to do with each other.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do you think that the players will respect him if he runs Peterman out there again? Do you think that they all still respect him for doing that yesterday? 

Unrelated to what he decides to do, who on the team has the luxury of not respecting him for any reason? The overwhelming majority of the players on this team are lucky to be in the NFL right now, and I can think of at least 10, probably 20 that will probably never play in the NFL again after Buffalo is done with them. There isn't exactly a ton of star power here you have to worry about upsetting.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t intended to be a pitchfork thread as there are already 59 of them. One thing that really, really bothered me yesterday when McDermott talked about the need to look at the tape after the game before commenting on certain things. It was clear to literally everyone that Peterman was a disaster. Phillip Gaines should change his number to ?. McDermott wasn’t being transparent at all. He might have thought that he was helping his team but he was insulting the fan base. He would have earned a lot more respect by holding himself accountable like he preaches. He talks an awful lot about accountability and then doesn’t practice it. I know I would have had a lot more respect for him if he told it like it was instead of sticking his head in the sand.

Kirby, I think this is a very fair assessment.   You can definitely find a lot of fault in McDermott for this loss.

Edited by BuffaloRush

48 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

The public are idiots. Belichick knows this and has given nothing for decades. Most other great coaches are the same. As much as I dislike McD, it's not his job to do the reporters job for them. He's polite to a fault and answers questions. Not getting caught in saying something he shouldn't is a plus in my book.

Coaches that don't do that like Rex, Dennis Greene, and Jim Mora get run out of the league, never to be heard from again.

Lot's more coaches that don't want to say anything to the public also disappear into oblivion..........Bills have had their share of them.

Just because the greatest preparer, game planner, in-game adjuster and all around highest impact coach in NFL history in Bill Belichick doesn't speak to the media doesn't mean everyone is good enough not to.

But nice of you to mention a couple guys in Green and Mora who put up their fair share of excellent seasons.

Cool Dennis Green fact is that he made the playoffs 8 times in his first 9 seasons.......... with 7 different starting quarterbacks.?

He had more turnover at QB than the Bills have had in the past decade and just went out and won year after year.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Lot's more coaches that don't want to say anything to the public also disappear into oblivion..........Bills have had their share of them.

Just because the greatest preparer, game planner, in-game adjuster and all around highest impact coach in NFL history in Bill Belichick doesn't speak to the media doesn't mean everyone is good enough not to.

But nice of you to mention a couple guys in Green and Mora who put up their fair share of excellent seasons.

Cool Dennis Green fact is that he made the playoffs 8 times in his first 9 seasons.......... with 7 different starting quarterbacks.?

He had more turnover at QB than the Bills have had in the past decade and just went out and won year after year.

And yet he was fired after his outburst and had to wrap up his career in the UFL, because he was radioactive. Don't you think that's telling?

15 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Really not sure why you turned it extreme with that example. Goes without saying but I’m pissed either way.

But back to my original point before you took it to that level. It is frustrating to hear him say that because not once did I hear him take any accountability for yesterday’s loss. Not once.

As the head coach/leader of the team, do you not agree he should have taken responsibility for that onslaught yesterday? 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=165671804298258&id=72631215658&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2FBuffaloBills%2Fvideos%2F165671804298258&_rdr

McDermott said that he was “going to look at myself having this team ready to go. Make sure I’m doing my job the right way. The first person I am going to look at is myself” and then went on to say that “I am going to make sure I am putting every player in a position to have success”. 

(Starts at 4:30)

Would you not say that he was taking some responsibility when he said that? 

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I want him to look at the tape. I don’t want him to NEED to look at the tape to recognize what a dumpster fire yesterday was. That’s kind of my point I guess. Just own it, say how bad it was and say you will work to fix it. Again, if the game is close I’m fine with the “we need to evaluate” or “we need to look at the tape.” When you are thoroughly dominated that same lip service doesn’t fly with me (and apparently a lot of others). 

I feel like he kind of did say that, in a round about way. 

He’s not the type that is going to be over-emotional in his responses, and say things like “we sucked. We were terrible” etc. 

The first thing he said was that “we didn’t intend to come out playing like that and coaching like that. We have a lot to learn from that game. We’ll look at the tape. We have a lot of work to do.... A lot of work to do. We’ll get to work on it as soon as we leave the locker room”. Said any time you allow that many points it’s concerning. 

Said “we have to go back, look at the film and be critical, be objective of what we were doing...”  then said “I’m going to look at everything and make sure we are putting ourselves in a position to win football games”. 

He also said how he’s going to make sure he is putting guys in the right position to be successful, and make sure that every guy is doing their jobs. Said he will evaluate every position. 

Said “I am going to look at myself having this team ready to go. Make sure I’m doing my job the right way. The first person I am going to look at is myself”. 

He went on to say (again) that they have a ton of things to correct and that he will begin immediately after they leave the locker room. 

He doesn’t come straight out and say it was a dumpster fire, but you don’t talk like that and say the things McD said when you think your football team played well. 

I feel like he did take responsibility for how bad they were and said they will evaluate everything and work to correct it. I think he just did it in a different way than some wanted him to. 

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

And yet he was fired after his outburst and had to wrap up his career in the UFL, because he was radioactive. Don't you think that's telling?

Dennis green had a far more successful career than McDermott to this point. I actually liked his management style, but it would never work in Buffalo.

Everyone has to be treated the same, we need to hear the same tired cliches about hard work and how the 53rd man is just as important as anyone else. And all this stupid ****. If he actually believes 75% of what he says I'd think he should be fired.

It's funny that you call the public stupid, yet you are part of the public. It's also funny that you don't get they have crafted him to appeal to that very segment of the public. You don't think they have an image of him they want to project? The pressers are useless, they should just do away with them.

But I remember reading stories about Randy moss sleeping in meetings, eating fast food before the games and green gave him a pass. Whenever he was questioned about it, he pretty much insinuated, do you watch him play? I'm not convinced that this team would do that. I think they ship out talent way too quickly. 

1 hour ago, Jaraxxus said:

And, fortunately for him, he never coached in a division dominated by the greatest qb of all time. Context is important.

He did have Brett Favre. Not the greatest, but certainly not awful.

17 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t intended to be a pitchfork thread as there are already 59 of them. One thing that really, really bothered me yesterday when McDermott talked about the need to look at the tape after the game before commenting on certain things. It was clear to literally everyone that Peterman was a disaster. Phillip Gaines should change his number to ?. McDermott wasn’t being transparent at all. He might have thought that he was helping his team but he was insulting the fan base. He would have earned a lot more respect by holding himself accountable like he preaches. He talks an awful lot about accountability and then doesn’t practice it. I know I would have had a lot more respect for him if he told it like it was instead of sticking his head in the sand.

how not sticking his head in the sand. He makes the size choice to not make emotional decisions after the game. He knows it was bad but you still need to go through the tape to make the best assessment and give time to cool down.

I guarantee he starts Allen.

McDouchebag is just so much bull ****.  We competed hard until the end.  Are you !@#$ing kidding me?  Just how hard did KB "compete" for that INT?  How hard did the WR's and TE's  "compete" to get open?  How hard did Daboll "compete" by abandoning the run and putting the game on NP's back?  How hard did Bodork "compete" on that punt snap?  I could go on and on and on.  Blow it out your ass McDork, your act is wearing thin.

14 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

You make valid points on all accounts.  

I sincerely hope he has this team better prepared Sunday when we take the field vs the Chargers.  

And while you're absolutely right, I also wonder at what point is the talent level just not there...? I don't know and I"m not already making excuses for that game, but I think it's a legitimate question about where the line in coaching overcomes the deficiency in talent. Of course a great coach can overcome poor talent, but at some level, the talent itself has to be there. 

Now, if the Bills start Peterman (AGAIN!) and they lay an egg, I am more than willing to put that McD's feet. Not necessarily because of the loss, but because based on the Ravens game, it seemed painfully obvious to me at least that Peterman didn't have the confidence of the Offense. And that IS a coach's job to know and prepare or plan for if you can't change it. In this case, he can - sometimes a coach just doesn't have a choice with whom to play. But, if the Bills have an abysmal game and Allen starts, then the problems are even deeper. 

All of that said, and of course I'm probably waaaaaaaay wrong since I usually am, IF Allen starts, I don't think the Bills put an ugly product on the field. I think they probably still lose (hope I'm wrong), but it's more of a competitive loss, or basically an NFL loss. I think the Defense rebounds nicely between last week's poor showing, being at home and the weather being better, I think there's improvement. How much? I'm not sure....but I think they're better. If Allen starts, I think the Offense shows true signs of life. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

And while you're absolutely right, I also wonder at what point is the talent level just not there...? I don't know and I"m not already making excuses for that game, but I think it's a legitimate question about where the line in coaching overcomes the deficiency in talent. Of course a great coach can overcome poor talent, but at some level, the talent itself has to be there. 

Now, if the Bills start Peterman (AGAIN!) and they lay an egg, I am more than willing to put that McD's feet. Not necessarily because of the loss, but because based on the Ravens game, it seemed painfully obvious to me at least that Peterman didn't have the confidence of the Offense. And that IS a coach's job to know and prepare or plan for if you can't change it. In this case, he can - sometimes a coach just doesn't have a choice with whom to play. But, if the Bills have an abysmal game and Allen starts, then the problems are even deeper. 

All of that said, and of course I'm probably waaaaaaaay wrong since I usually am, IF Allen starts, I don't think the Bills put an ugly product on the field. I think they probably still lose (hope I'm wrong), but it's more of a competitive loss, or basically an NFL loss. I think the Defends rebounds nicely between last week's poor showing, being at home and the weather being better, I think there's improvement. How much? I'm not sure....but I think they're better. If Allen starts, I think the Offense shows true signs of life. 

Excellent post.  

We are alarmingly devoid of talent on this roster, top to bottom.  In the many posts asking what we think we could acquire for our current group of players, I found myself struggling to name more than 4 or 5 players(not including rookies or 2nd year players, or our starting safties)who would garner ANYTHING more than a 6th or 7th round pick(Shady, Lawson, Clay, Hughes).  

And despite Sunday's beatdown, I am surprisingly optimistic about our chances Sunday vs the Chargers.   I was more than pleased with what I saw from Allen, and dammit that was the most impressive 6-14 for 74 yards display of quarterbacking I've ever seen.  I dont find it ironic that once he got in there the line suddenly started playing better.  He looked very comfortable back there, and he looked GOOD.  Those receivers hold on to those balls that were on the money, Benjamin catches the TD pass that could only have been easier if Allen personally handed it to him,  and Allen throws for over a hundred yards and has his first NFL touchdown in his first game.   

Count me among those that were ready to slit my wrists when we drafted Allen last spring.  But now please count me among those who truly feels like we just may have found our franchise guy.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Whenever a coach says “I have to look at the tape” it is a massive red flag.

Because it’s 100% indicator that he lacks sufficient recall, which is incredibly important for a quality game manager.

It shows that he’s not fully aware of what is going on during the course of a three-hour game. A person who isn’t aware will not make proper decisions - whether it be personnel, scheme adjustments, clock management, etc.

It is a big problem, folks.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Because it’s 100% indicator that he lacks sufficient recall, which is incredibly important for a quality game manager.

It shows that he’s not fully aware of what is going on during the course of a three-hour game. A person who isn’t aware will not make proper decisions - whether it be personnel, scheme adjustments, clock management, etc.

Your read of the situation is off base I believe.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

That's only true if he actually has to look at the tape and it isn't just an excuse to not answer right now.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

What you say could be true but it is more likely that it’s McD’s go to move when he wants to deflect from directly answering pointed questions. 

21 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yeah I don't think you really know the Dennis Green story, dude.

He was a mess off of the field and therefore a big liability risk for any organization.

He also had a rep for being in constant clash with management in Minnesota so after 13-14 years as a HC when he finally stopped winning he got fired.

Talking about his team to the media was not his issue.

On 9/10/2018 at 8:01 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

TBN story on why Davis was a scratch: "Positional flexibility is what led the Buffalo Bills to making Vontae Davis inactive on Sunday.

Or perhaps, a lack of positional flexibility. “There's a lot that went into that decision,” coach Sean McDermott said Monday. “No. 1 is getting the right guys on the field, who we feel are the right guys. … With respect to Vontae as it relates to the DB numbers you can have up, he doesn't really give us the flexibility on special teams or the ability to move inside.”

:doh:

Edit:  OK, does this make sense to anyone?  The guy was signed to be a starter, now all of a sudden you discover you need your hoped-for starting DB to play special teams?  Why'd you sign him then?

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

And, fortunately for him, he never coached in a division dominated by the greatest qb of all time. Context is important.

Oh stfu with that whiny Patriot-excuse nonsense.........Favre and Holmgren will be going to the HOF on the strength of those years with the Packers that ran concurrent to Green's run in Minnesota........and Green still got to the playoffs 8 times in 9 years with 7 different QB's.

The Bills went into the season finale with more than 8 wins only once during the drought.........not being able to split with the Patriots every year hasn't been the difference between missing or making a myriad of playoff appearances.:rolleyes:    

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBN story on why Davis was a scratch: "Positional flexibility is what led the Buffalo Bills to making Vontae Davis inactive on Sunday.

Or perhaps, a lack of positional flexibility. “There's a lot that went into that decision,” coach Sean McDermott said Monday. “No. 1 is getting the right guys on the field, who we feel are the right guys. … With respect to Vontae as it relates to the DB numbers you can have up, he doesn't really give us the flexibility on special teams or the ability to move inside.”

:doh:

Edit:  OK, does this make sense to anyone?  The guy was signed to be a starter, now all of a sudden you discover you need your hoped-for starting DB to play special teams?  Why'd you sign him then?

I think it’s a nice way of saying that Vontae has struggled so much that they value a depth player’s flexibility over Davis. In other words, they didn’t want to say that he has stunk... lol. 

I am sure that they are hoping he still returns to form as he continues to get back into game shape after his injury (otherwise they wouldn’t have kept him on the roster for week 1 and guaranteed his salary). But yeah, the early returns on Davis are not looking too good. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I think it’s a nice way of saying that Vontae has struggled so much that they value a depth player’s flexibility over Davis. In other words, they didn’t want to say that he has stunk... lol. 

I am sure that they are hoping he still returns to form as he continues to get back into game shape after his injury (otherwise they wouldn’t have kept him on the roster for week 1 and guaranteed his salary). But yeah, the early returns on Davis are not looking too good. 

I think Hap’s point is that they were running him with the 1’s since April. He stunk in the pre-season and then they decided that he wasn’t worthy of being active. They hid behind “positional flexibility” even though everyone knows that’s a BS answer. He could have said, “Vontae is still getting back up to speed. He isn’t as far along at this point as he needs to be so we went with Phillip. We hope to have Vontae ready in the not-too-distant future.” It’s just a “don’t lie to me...” kind of thing.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/10/2018 at 9:37 PM, BullBuchanan said:

Well, it all depends upon who your boss is and what they want, right?  Most people work with an unwritten rule:

- don't p*** in your boss's cheerios (don't make your boss look like a fool in public)

Knowledgeable folks (Wawrow for example) have said that after the debacle "I was not privy" press conference, Whaley was gone for the sin of making your boss look bad.

Belichick*** has been winning consistently since his 2nd year in the league.  Success buys you leeway, including the leeway to have your boss support you during debacles like the Pats*** cheating scandals.  And I get the impression that Kraft cares far more about winning and about owning the team than his media image.

Badol can speak for himself, obviously, but I took his point as being that the Pegulas do care about media image.  They don't want to be made to look foolish in the press for their sports team management decisions.  When the team gets blown out and embarrassed in record-setting fashion, the Pegulas look foolish for putting their trust in McDermott and Beane.  I think the inference is that McDermott needs to either coach more effectively so as to curb the blowouts PDQ, or he needs to learn to manage the press better and craft a better narrative to avoid making the Pegulas look foolish. 

Stonewalling/saying nothing is fine - Just Win.  Or at least, if you can't win, lose in a competitive, hard-fought manner with a team that looks well-coached and well-prepared.

I believe, from how they act, that McDermott and Beane came to Buffalo believing they would be given 4 years.  They had time to gut the roster, pile up the dead cap, and rebuild from the ground up in their image.  I think they missed the part about "but don't make your boss look stupid and foolish while doing it".

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think Hap’s point is that they were running him with the 1’s since April. He stunk in the pre-season and then they decided that he wasn’t worthy of being active. They hid behind “positional flexibility” even though everyone knows that’s a BS answer. He could have said, “Vontae is still getting back up to speed. He isn’t as far along at this point as he needs to be so we went with Phillip. We hope to have Vontae ready in the not-too-distant future.” It’s just a “don’t lie to me...” kind of thing.

Yes, exactly.  If he's running with the 1s, you must think you can craft a game-day roster with him running with the 1s.

I took the "positional flexibility" as BS

Davis IMHO is one of the places where McBeane showed poor judgment in personnel evaluation/cost-benefit.  EJ Gaines played well for us last year and signed for less money than Davis was brought in for, and right now Davis sucks.  Now every football man makes bad calls from time to time, and I respect not wanting to throw players under the bus in public, but C'mon Man.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/10/2018 at 8:01 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

McD tranforming to Dicky J more and more everyday

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, Warcodered said:

That's only true if he actually has to look at the tape and it isn't just an excuse to not answer right now.

Why is this so challenging to everyone?  Do you think the Coach wouldn't say the same thing after a big win? The  Coach is not there to spout off at the podium.  He's being paid to be a professional football coach.  Remember, he doesn't get to see the game from the press box, with multiple instant replays, like the fans do at home.  I have no problem with him stating that he needs (wants) to look at the tape.  I would hope he'd want to.  Obviously something...maybe a lot of things...went wrong.  I'm going to give the staff a day or two to figure out what happened.