Accountability

Kirby Jackson

Accountability, right now to me, is displaying some degree of football intelligence!

Dear Coach,

PLEASE, for the love of GOD, say something that will lead me to believe that you have some clue as to why the whole team performed so poorly AND that you may be up to the task of FIXING THE PROBLEM!

Up until now you have insisted that we fans "trust the process" (in other words "pay no attention to that coach man behind the curtain") and suspend our critical thinking skills and all we see with our own eyes to buy you unlimited time to field a team.

For me -Times Up!  

In reality, opening day was a TOTAL TEAM FAILURE.  Not just offense. Not just defense. Not just special teams. Not just players.

This has been a Crisis of Coaching.  What is wrong with an NFL coaching staff who had to take forever to "evaluate" personnel? What is wrong with an NFL coaching staff who ALL so totally failed to prepare a team for opening day? What is wrong with an NFL coaching staff who did not recognize weeks ago that this team desperately needed an upgrade in talent at nearly ALL positions. What is wrong with a head coach who would not demand more support from a GM and Owners.

BLA BLa BLa...

Skeptically Yours,

CD1

Edited by cd1
  • Like (+1) 1

I didn't like McDermott as a hire, and there are a lot of things I don't like about him as a coach. However, he doesn't owe you or anyone else besides his boss an explanation.

Every decent coach and smart player in the league gives bland explanations and old cliches when asked pointed questions. There's a zero percent chance that McDermott will ever come out and say a particular player played badly. That's just common sense. You don't throw your own people under the bus to people outside the organization. Management 101.

With that said, McDermott actually gives out a pretty decent amount of information if you read between the lines of talking points he grazes over and if you pay attention to his cadence. You need to filter out the coach speak to get there though. It also doesn't help when reporters ask terrible questions that they know will be met with canned responses.

Also, it's impossible for the fans to know when guys run the wrong routes or take the wrong assignments. At field level, it's probably also very difficult to see as a coach. To really know what happened and why you need an elevated view. It would be irresponsible to speak to those things without proper data.

Edited by BullBuchanan

14 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

If McD hands to keys to the car to Allen he would be giving him a broken down Volkswagon bus, not a Z L1 Corvette.

Patrick Mahomes has a ZL1 Corvette.

Yes and yes.  Add to the analogy the VW bus has bad brakes, shot suspension and no air bags.

How many parents want their teenage kid driving that?

8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I didn't like McDermott as a hire, and there are a lot of things I don't like about him as a coach. However, he doesn't owe you or anyone else besides his boss an explanation.

Every decent coach and smart player in the league gives bland explanations and old cliches when asked pointed questions. There's a zero percent chance that McDermott will ever come out and say a particular player played badly. That's just common sense. You don't throw your own people under the bus to people outside the organization. Management 101.

With that said, McDermott actually gives out a pretty decent amount of information if you read between the lines of talking points he grazes over and if you pay attention to his cadence. You need to filter out the coach speak to get there though. It also doesn't help when reporters ask terrible questions that they know will be met with canned responses.

Also, it's impossible for the fans to know when guys run the wrong routes or take the wrong assignments. At field level, it's probably also very difficult to see as a coach. To really know what happened and why you need an elevated view. It would be irresponsible to speak to those things without proper data.

Says the guy that was okay with Peterman’s 0.0 QB rating 

These coaches and front office personnel supposedly sleep at the office and work 18 hours per day.  How on earth do you put in that time for the last 9 months and put that turd of a product out in the field? I don’t care if you’re rebuilding,  usually it takes a few games for teams to figure you out even if you’re terrible.  Yes, breaking the 17 year drought was great, but these guys are probably a little too secure in their jobs putting that dumpster fire on the field yesterday. 

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t intended to be a pitchfork thread as there are already 59 of them. One thing that really, really bothered me yesterday when McDermott talked about the need to look at the tape after the game before commenting on certain things. It was clear to literally everyone that Peterman was a disaster. Phillip Gaines should change his number to ?. McDermott wasn’t being transparent at all. He might have thought that he was helping his team but he was insulting the fan base. He would have earned a lot more respect by holding himself accountable like he preaches. He talks an awful lot about accountability and then doesn’t practice it. I know I would have had a lot more respect for him if he told it like it was instead of sticking his head in the sand.

Are you angry because he said he had to look at the tape or because he will look at the tape? Because he, as do all the coaches and players, certainly needs to look at the tape; they'd be derelict in their duties if they didn't. 

I understand how McDermott's milquetoast act can wear thin, especially after the several total blowout losses we've witnessed since he became coach, but if anyone expects his level of public outrage to rise to the level of the fan base, that's just not going to happen. His personality doesn't lend itself to that kind of display. Better get used to being insulted if that's how you take it. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Are you angry because he said he had to look at the tape or because he will look at the tape? Because he, as do all the coaches and players, certainly needs to look at the tape; they'd be derelict in their duties if they didn't. 

I understand how McDermott's milquetoast act can wear thin, especially after the several total blowout losses we've witnessed since he became coach, but if anyone expects his level of public outrage to rise to the level of the fan base, that's just not going to happen. His personality doesn't lend itself to that kind of display. Better get used to being insulted if that's how you take it. 

I want him to look at the tape. I don’t want him to NEED to look at the tape to recognize what a dumpster fire yesterday was. That’s kind of my point I guess. Just own it, say how bad it was and say you will work to fix it. Again, if the game is close I’m fine with the “we need to evaluate” or “we need to look at the tape.” When you are thoroughly dominated that same lip service doesn’t fly with me (and apparently a lot of others). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Same thing Jauron used to spout after a loss.  He never said anything other than "look at the tape".    

Always with the excuses, guys come in here with the same formulas we've seen 1000 times before.   And they wonder why we lose faith so fast.    I'm ok with us being beat by Baltimore, they were a better team all around.   And I didn't think we were a contender this year.  But the way we lost this game, the complete and utter humiliation of that blowout is unacceptable.   

Losing 20-13 ok I get it.   40-3=we have no idea what we're doing. 

Not necessarily. See: Patriots v Chiefs 2015. Think it was 44-13 or something similar on a Monday night. 

Sometimes it happens.

I don't know if he has addressed the media today yet but what I want to hear is an overt admission that yesterday was not acceptable and that responsibility for it ultimately rests on him. I expect him to say clearly that he is making a change at Quarterback and I want him to take personal responsibility for the decision to start Peterman. That was a mistake. 

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Oh, ok. I didn't know you just wanted to cry. Carry on then.

Ha ha, this may be the day to bury your head in the sand instead of continuing to defend the scrub that you wanted. Today isn’t the day to defend that bum. As a general rule of thumb you can say good things about him after practices and some preseason games. You should avoid defending him after any meaningful NFL action.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't know if he has addressed the media today yet but what I want to hear is an overt admission that yesterday was not acceptable and that responsibility for it ultimately rests on him. I expect him to say clearly that he is making a change at Quarterback and I want him to take personal responsibility for the decision to start Peterman. That was a mistake. 

4:00 eastern today

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I want him to look at the tape. I don’t want him to NEED to look at the tape to recognize what a dumpster fire yesterday was. That’s kind of my point I guess. Just own it, say how bad it was and say you will work to fix it. Again, if the game is close I’m fine with the “we need to evaluate” or “we need to look at the tape.” When you are thoroughly dominated that same lip service doesn’t fly with me (and apparently a lot of others). 

And that’s exactly it. If it’s one or 2 plays or a couples series that decided the game, by all means say you need to look at the tape. But come on, that was a complete and utter domination by the Ravens. You don’t need to look at the tap to determine that. It was bad. Say that. It was unacceptable. Say that too.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, this may be the day to bury your head in the sand instead of continuing to defend the scrub that you wanted. Today isn’t the day to defend that bum. As a general rule of thumb you can say good things about him after practices and some preseason games. You should avoid defending him after any meaningful NFL action.

4:00 eastern today

I know it's difficult to stay on topic, but this thread and my response have nothing to do with quarterbacks. You wanted to talk about McD, so that's what I did. If you're looking for a pissing match, move along.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know. What I saw was a complete team failure, not one player. The O-line was a total disaster. When either NP or Allen got the ball to a receiver, they dropped it. Even the TV guys pulled out the tele-strator showing how not one receiver got open on pass plays. Maybe McDermott should have been more angry with his players, but maybe he should be mad at himself and Beane?

Total team failure is right, I cant remember a game where it was more disappointing to watch than yesterdays game.  There was like nothing positive to take from the game to me, at no point did it seem like they could compete.  Normally a blowout like this has defensive or special teams TD's.  This was just one team kicking the crap out of the other team in all facets, kind of like happens in college.  That does not happen much in the NFL.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

I know it's difficult to stay on topic, but this thread and my response have nothing to do with quarterbacks. You wanted to talk about McD, so that's what I did. If you're looking for a pissing match, move along.

I’m not looking for a pissing match but in the spirit of “accountability” I would expect you and the other Petermaniacs to have some as well. No one likes to be wrong but we all are sometimes.

But he does need to look at the tape. Viewed in the context of the game situation and play call, it will reveal a ton of information about individual performance. And you know that as well as anyone. Like I said, his personality doesn't lend itself to the kind of outrage we need to see and hear from him publicly; it's the same story after every blowout loss and there have been several now. 

My bigger concern is how flat this team looked coming out. That's on the coaches as well as the players. He just may not be head coach material. 

In all honesty, McDermott doesn't strike me as intelligent enough to be able to speak honestly or directly in a live setting without saying the wrong thing.

He has a clearly defined script of "coach speak" and he has learned to speak in that manner.

He knows that if he deviates from the script he might put his foot in his mouth or say something he regrets, so he never goes off script, ever.

Really not a surprise here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

But he does need to look at the tape. Viewed in the context of the game situation and play call, it will reveal a ton of information about individual performance. And you know that as well as anyone. Like I said, his personality doesn't lend itself to the kind of outrage we need to see and hear from him publicly; it's the same story after every blowout loss and there have been several now. 

My bigger concern is how flat this team looked coming out. That's on the coaches as well as the players. He just may not be head coach material. 

I didn’t even need specifics though. He doesn’t need tape to figure out why they had 0 1st downs at halftime. His team was flat and he clearly made some mistakes with the depth chart. I just wanted him to say that it was a disaster and they’ll work on it. Hopefully today will be a little more transparent with a little less lip service.

I didn’t even need specifics though. He doesn’t need tape to figure out why they had 0 1st downs at halftime. His team was flat and he clearly made some mistakes with the depth chart. I just wanted him to say that it was a disaster and they’ll work on it. Hopefully today will be a little more transparent with a little less lip service.

I understand. Just be prepared for further disappointment. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

“I have to look at the tape” = “it’s hard to win in the nfl”

Your transformation from TSW's unabashed #1 Dick Jauron defender to a staunch critic of "playing not to lose" is some Old Testament level sh*t.........PREACH brother!.......take the gospel to these Gentiles!?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not looking for a pissing match but in the spirit of “accountability” I would expect you and the other Petermaniacs to have some as well. No one likes to be wrong but we all are sometimes.

I already made my case with photos and breakdowns. If you want to discount detailed and thoughtful replies with one line "nuh-uhs", that's your right, but it makes you look like a simple minded petulant child. That seems to be par for the course around here though.

Edited by BullBuchanan

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I understand. Just be prepared for further disappointment. 

That’s what I’m expecting. It just makes me trust him and respect him less. I don’t need the Tebow speech after the game but just a little more ownership over that mess. 

21 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I already made my case with photos and breakdowns. If you want to discount detailed and thoughtful replies with one line "nuh-uhs", that's your right, but it makes you look like a simple minded petulant child. That seems to be part for the course around here though.

You made your case that he wasn’t at fault with a 0.0 rating!! That’s distorting the truth. He was an utter abomination. Peterman wasn’t the only problem but he was a massive one (again). 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Haha (+1) 1

Hank Bullough: 

--"We'll have a good work ethnic."

--"He did it on the spare of the moment."

--"He's making improvement throwing the ball where he's throwing the ball."

--"We keep beating ourselves, but we're getting better at it."

--"It took the sails right out of our wind."

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

In all honesty, McDermott doesn't strike me as intelligent enough to be able to speak honestly or directly in a live setting without saying the wrong thing.

He has a clearly defined script of "coach speak" and he has learned to speak in that manner.

He knows that if he deviates from the script he might put his foot in his mouth or say something he regrets, so he never goes off script, ever.

Really not a surprise here.

I believe McD is intelligent enough to speak honestly and directly, if he wanted to.  McD is not dumb, but seems to be loyal to a fault.  His approach is to tell the media nothing and handle everything behind closed doors.  How he'll handle yesterday's disaster will be seen in six days.  But he's not going to berate his coaches and players on tv or in the papers.  This is essentially the Belichick approach, only less gruff.

21 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I already made my case with photos and breakdowns. If you want to discount detailed and thoughtful replies with one line "nuh-uhs", that's your right, but it makes you look like a simple minded petulant child. That seems to be par for the course around here though.

I dunno what you thought you proved with those photo's and breakdowns but I can promise you it wasn't what you thought.

it was a fairly pathetic attempt at passing blame..... you are literally the only person on the planet that thinks the long INT over KB was the wr's fault.

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I dunno what you thought you proved with those photo's and breakdowns but I can promise you it wasn't what you thought.

it was a fairly pathetic attempt at passing blame..... you are literally the only person on the planet that thinks the long INT over KB was the wr's fault.

Thanks for your contribution.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Thanks for your contribution.

you're welcome. almost as valuable to the board as your attempts at defending those int's yesterday. 

i'll give you credit. at least yours was good for some comic relief.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

20 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I believe McD is intelligent enough to speak honestly and directly, if he wanted to.  McD is not dumb, but seems to be loyal to a fault.  His approach is to tell the media nothing and handle everything behind closed doors.  How he'll handle yesterday's disaster will be seen in six days.  But he's not going to berate his coaches and players on tv or in the papers.  This is essentially the Belichick approach, only less gruff.

I don't expect him to berate coaches and players, but his entire tone and approach to these PCs is inappropriate IMO.  It's disingenuous and insulting to everyone in the press room and the fans watching and listening.  He can offer more in the way of genuine commentary without throwing anyone under the bus.

I wouldn't want him to throw people under the bus, BTW.

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't expect him to berate coaches and players, but his entire tone and approach to these PCs is inappropriate IMO.  It's disingenuous and insulting to everyone in the press room and the fans watching and listening.  He can offer more in the way of genuine commentary without throwing anyone under the bus.

I wouldn't want him to throw people under the bus, BTW.

I don't feel insulted in the least. I personally cant believe its such an issue for people. there is basically nothing he could say about yesterday that would make a difference or make me feel any better.

that's just me though I guess. 

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

thanks. almost as valuable to the board as your attempts at defending those int's yesterday. 

i'll give you credit. at least yours was good for some comic relief.

How many scoring drives did your savior have in 6 less minutes of football? One? Ok, cool. Glad we dismantled the whole team so hauschka could get a second crack at 3 points.

You'd have an argument if your boy wonder came in and had markedly different results. If you want to hang your hat on a couple first downs, have at it. Neither QB caused this team to get 47 points dropped on them and neither forced the team to be unwilling and unable to run, catch, or block.

Aaron Rodgers wasn't scoring 7 touchdowns to win that game.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

How many scoring drives did your savior have in 6 less minutes of football? One? Ok, cool. Glad we dismantled the whole team so hauschka could get a second crack at 3 points.

You'd have an argument if your boy wonder came in and had markedly different results. If you want to hang your hat on a couple first downs, have at it. Neither QB caused this team to get 47 points dropped on them and neither forced the team to be unwilling and unable to run, catch, or block.

lots of words being put in my mouth here.... I have no clue what you've seen from me for you to act as though I've thought allen is some sort of savior. not even close man. 

between the 2 of us there is only one person with a love affair for either qb…. quick hint. its not me.

pointing out how bad Peterman was doesn't mean I think allen is ready or a for sure superstar. try to be able to separate things like that. it would help. 

that being said. if you watched yesterdays game and came away thinking "Peterman should still have the job", well then..... just.... WOW. there wouldn't be much more I could say to that.

7 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Again, it wasn't comparing resumes it was more a matter of even one of the best of all time had his first 5-11 season. Additionally, do you remember the post-game presser after the 41-14 drubbing the Pats took against the Chiefs? The simple line, "We're on to Cincinnatti" was used over and over....he did say the coaching and playing were both bad, but that's about it. "We're on to Cincinnatti"....again, the point is that people want a sacrificial lamb on the alter after a game like that but refuse to acknowledge that's just to make themselves feel better, it's not because it truly accomplishes anything for the team. 

The larger point is that by McD remaining silent or stoic when the easy choice is to say what he's truly feeling is exactly what the players need. They don't need to be hung out to dry with the media, they know they played terribly. What they need is for a HC and staff to take the heat and then come together in the locker room on Tuesday and say, "F this, we're not playing like that anymore!".....and for the coaches to speak directly to them, not the media. 

As for Peterman, I'm not a fan and I think the change to Allen is a no-brainer. But, McD said Allen would have to earn it and that Peterman did earn it by showing well in Pre-Season. It's obvious for all of Peterman's hard work, he didn't progress - so now, it's Allen time. McD was true to his word, Peterman played himself out of a job - let the Allen ear begin. 

You make valid points on all accounts.  

I sincerely hope he has this team better prepared Sunday when we take the field vs the Chargers.  

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe so but managing the public is a big part of a head coaches’ job. He isn’t doing anyone favors by getting the media, and in turn the fans, worked up. When that happens, he, and his team lose the benefit of the doubt. 

No offense, but when you're trying to get wins, you may respond, "who cares"?  Player respect is far more important than what fans think.

6 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

No offense, but when you're trying to get wins, you may respond, "who cares"?  Player respect is far more important than what fans think.

Do you think that the players will respect him if he runs Peterman out there again? Do you think that they all still respect him for doing that yesterday? 

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

He had more than a couple also that only sounds bad when the person your comparing him to has more than one(Did he even have 1 the only one I really remember was a running play where McCoy refused to not have production)