Jerry Sullivan Strikes Back With A VENGEANCE, Slams The BN, The Pegulas, and some of the Buffalo fanbase

BuffaloRush

Sounds to me like TBN is trying to appeal to a younger audience, but they aren't going about it the best way because it's alienating their older/longtime readers. And I can kind of empathize with Sully on young writers getting top gigs fresh outta school. Seems to be the case with a lot of companies these days that longevity and the ol' "foot in the door and then climb the ladder" approach really doesn't mean much. He's old school, I get it, he worked his way up, there's bound to be some animosity in seeing inexperienced writers get the featured articles and front pages. However, that's not to say these younger writers haven't earned it by simply being a talented writer. But yeah, with the way seniority and longevity seem to be fading from the workplace, it's easy to see why he felt like it was a "slap in the face." But, again, the flip-side of this is, where does he take accountability? Did he ever sit down and do a self-evaluation as to why so many people disliked his work? Did he ever try to approach his writing from a different perspective other than "grumpy fan guy?" Doesn't seem like it. So, he can only harbor so much disdain for his former employer because at the end of the day, time has kinda passed him by and sports journalism is a very different environment than it used to be. He's very much a traditionalist and feels like his experience should earn him unquestioned respect. That kinda attitude never goes over well.

As for his actual writing, I personally always felt like the dude was negative for the sake of being negative. Either that, or he'd seek out the unpopular opinions on things and run with that. I think that type of stuff is meant simply to generate clicks and after a while that crap is just an attention-grabbing headline attached to an article void of substance. And that sh*t is everywhere these days. The amount of coverage going on in each American sport and on each team is staggering. I saw a tweet a while back that said something to the effect of, "The famous 1983 NFL Draft had about 70 credentialed writers covering it. Today (I think it was the 2017 draft) there are more than 2800 credentialed writers covering this event." It's just insane how much coverage there is out there. For a long time, I looked into writing for a blog or starting my own or just writing for the sake of it, throwing it out there to see if I could catch on with anything but when it came down to it, even though I might be able to present a clearer picture with my writing than some other writers, I always came back to the point of, "I don't think I'm saying anything that hasn't already been said." And that's another tricky thing in the current journalism world. Grabbing people's attention. This age of instant info and gratification seems to have shortened most people's attention spans.

My main issue with Sully and guys like Bucky and them, is not that they're overly critical or negative or lame, it was the excitement in their tones when they started criticizing. Each season channel 2 or 7 puts together a Bills show featuring the local yokel reporters around here. I've caught plenty of them where Sully was a guest and as they break down the game he might say, "If Buffalo gets McCoy going, that takes pressure off Taylor and the defense, which is ideal." But then, he'd get real hyped up and be like, "BUT! If Kansas City gets THEIR running game going, OH MAN, WATCH OUT,  because this Bills team will be DOOMED! If they don't contain the run game, it's gonna get ugly and they're gonna get annihilated." There would be comments like that and then, the other thing that irked me was how contradictory to his own opinions Sully was. He'd write an entire article on why the Bills absolutely positively MUST re-sign Player A or else they're a buncha turds. So, then, after the season, the team would go ahead and re-sign Player A and the next day, sure as sh*t, there's Sully bemoaning the whole thing. "It's too much money! He isn't worth it! He's a bum!" It's like harping on someone to fix something and then when they do the other person is yelling, "Aww, no no no, not that way!" And in reality there's really no method that would appease an opinionated guy like Sully.  Bucky did that crap as well.

Again, I understand the dynamics of journalism and reporting and opinions and etc. etc. etc. but when you're acting like that in a region overflowing with Bills fans, it tells me that you're not very self-aware of your surroundings. And then they wanna sit back and wonder why so much shade gets thrown their way? Maybe keep your tone unbiased and paint a clearer picture without the fervor of praising the opponent so much or writing yourself into a corner with avoidable contradictions. It reminded me of watching a game with the opposing teams play-by-play and commentary duo. Steve Tasker was the epitome of this when he first got a broadcasting gig. The Bills would get lit up for a 75 yard touchdown and he'd be like, "Well, that's Brady for you. But let me show you what Jeff Posey was doing on this play and let me tell you why he did exceptional work here." No, Steve, no, you're not going to convince me that Jeff frickin' Posey did a  good job because if he had, they wouldn't have scored. 

As others have (I'm sure) pointed out, that type of non-stop commentary and opinion just wears thin after a while. But a guy like Sully, he took pride in that and made it part of his "schtick" and well, his stuff is just outdated. Everything in this world is going to continue to evolve. As the saying goes, the only constant is change. To me, in this podcast, dude comes off like a self-entitled jerk who wants to point fingers at everyone else to explain why his precious column was taken away. And honestly, I prefer reading stuff from some of these new kids. Matt Fairburn especially. You can tell that he gives a crap and works diligently to produce solid content every time he posts. Joe B as well, although his writing will drive me nuts sometimes because it's clear that the dude never proof-reads his sh*t. Tim Graham, for as much heat as he gets, he's an A+ writer. His Twitter antics get old but I do typically enjoy his work. Sully just needed to get on with where things are headed or get out the way.

Edited by blacklabel

12 hours ago, Gigs said:

You must be 13. Why would he **** rainbows when Wilson and the Bills had absolutely no intent on putting a competitor on the field? Not everything is happy fun time, kid. 

Difference between constructive or justified critique and what Sullivan did.  He played both sides and never admitted to being mistaken.

I'll give one example.  When the Bills were negotiating with Fitzpatrick, who had a very hot start to 2011, I remember a column where Sully just lit into the Bills for letting the contract negotiations slide and not locking him up etc etc. and when they did, I remember a column where it was fair to both sides.

Then whatever happened to Fitz (broken ribs, got complacent, voodoo hex) happened, and Fitz stunk up the joint.  The Bills went into 2012 with Fitz under that hefty contract and still mediocre at best, and Sully just lit into the Bills for acting prematurely to lock Fitz up in a ridiculous contract that hamstrung them.

That's the reason I don't like Sully.  He's all damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't in his negativity; never admits that he called it wrong himself; and seems to pick his theme then stretch and bend whatever observations he has (or just make schtuff up, I mean, exercise creativity) to support it.

Honest criticism doesn't bother me a bit.  I dole out plenty myself and enjoy reading reasoned and educated critiques.  I also try to own it when I'm mistaken. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Difference between constructive or justified critique and what Sullivan did.  He played both sides and never admitted to being mistaken.

I'll give one example.  When the Bills were negotiating with Fitzpatrick, who had a very hot start to 2011, I remember a column where Sully just lit into the Bills for letting the contract negotiations slide and not locking him up etc etc. and when they did, I remember a column where it was fair to both sides.

Then whatever happened to Fitz (broken ribs, got complacent, voodoo hex) happened, and Fitz stunk up the joint.  The Bills went into 2012 with Fitz under that hefty contract and still mediocre at best, and Sully just lit into the Bills for acting prematurely to lock Fitz up in a ridiculous contract that hamstrung them.

That's the reason I don't like Sully.  He's all damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't in his negativity; never admits that he called it wrong himself; and seems to pick his theme then stretch and bend whatever observations he has (or just make schtuff up, I mean, exercise creativity) to support it.

Honest criticism doesn't bother me a bit.  I dole out plenty myself and enjoy reading reasoned and educated critiques.  I also try to own it when I'm mistaken. 

Right - Sullivan wasn't honest in his criticism - he'd flip sides, push out "logic" too stupid to be honest, and generally do everything else you'd look for in a TROLL who's just trying to manipulate an audience he doesn't respect to get attention.

21 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

A small number said they didn't subscribe because of Sully and Bucky, so now they had the data to support their personal beliefs and essentially he was a scapegoat.  Sully feels that these moves  cater to the "lowest common denominator of fans."

Or the `Highest Common Denominator` and your constant bitching finally wore thin on us.

20 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I really hope people actually listened to the interview.  It’s always good to have an informed opinions before commenting

OK, Rush.  No one is commenting on the interview who hasn’t listened to it.

Lots of folks are telling you they don’t wanna listen to it, ‘cuz they’re done with Sully.

You say “oh no, that means you’re just a rainbows and unicorns homer who can’t handle criticism”

Lots of folks telling you um, no, that’s not what it means, and chiming in with their various informed opinions on Sully (independent of interview)

How about this: you’ve linked the interview, you’ve told us why you think it’s worth a listen, now respect folks who don’t wanna listen and give it a rest, stop pushing it.

You may disagree with folks who aren’t interested in giving it a listen or with their views on Sully, but they have a right to their perspective just as you do.

• Like (+1) 1

And he's not wrong about any of this.

Many Fans want to hear what they want to hear. They are blinded and frankly soft when it comes to sports teams in town. If these teams were juggernauts then go ahead and get on Sully...truth is no one can deny that he's been right way more than he's been wrong when it comes to the dysfunction and futility of the teams in town.

It's scary how much the Pegulas are not controlling the media. We get further away from dissent and as we all should know this is not a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

No one has an issue with columnists being critical in my opinion.  They do have a problem with criticism being overly snarky and resorting to childish personal insult.  That was Sullivan to me.  I have read his stuff about the Bills and Sabres, I have read and heard him be insulting to anyone who dared to disagree with him.  So I have no desire to listen any more to him or read any more from him about the Bills.  

56 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I really hope people actually listened to the interview.  It’s always good to have an informed opinions before commenting

I listened and remain convinced he was a talented guy who just got lazy and bitter and should have been gone long ago. So he feel bad, boo-frickety-hoo.

32 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Many Fans want to hear what they want to hear. They are blinded and frankly soft when it comes to sports teams in town. If these teams were juggernauts then go ahead and get on Sully...truth is no one can deny that he's been right way more than he's been wrong when it comes to the dysfunction and futility of the teams in town.

It's scary how much the Pegulas are not controlling the media. We get further away from dissent and as we all should know this is not a good thing. 

Yes this is my point exactly.  If the Bills were good get on Sully.  But they had been terrible for years

Just now, Green Lightning said:

I listened and remain convinced he was a talented guy who just got lazy and bitter and should have been gone long ago. So he feel bad, boo-frickety-hoo.

Well, at least you listened 

38 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Controlling the media? Like it’s life changing politics or something? No. It’s entertainment. The Pegulas own a product. Obviously they don’t want people bashing it. 

Thats not why the Buffalo news is where it is. At least the sports section. It became lame, lazy schtick. Anything but entertaining. Which if you truly think about it is ridiculous. People are obviously reading because they mostly like sports and their team.  A daily opinion column telling you why it’s garbage even when the team is winning? 

Honestly, I think the Bills getting to the playoffs was the worst thing for Sully it showed even when they do well he bashes and criticizes. It was obvious to anyone paying attention it’s all he really knew how to do at that point. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Yes this is my point exactly.  If the Bills were good get on Sully.  But they had been terrible for years

Well, at least you listened 

What you absolutely refuse to understand is that it is not being critical, it is the irritating, smug, self-important attitude of Sullivan that is the issue.  The Bills were bad to terrible back in the day and guys like Felser and Kelly would roast them.  But they did not resort to the sarcastic nonsense and smugness and insulting tone of your boy.

You clearly like the guy.  Clearly some don't.  And people like me who don't are not going to change their mind because you say he should.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

What you absolutely refuse to understand is that it is not being critical, it is the irritating, smug, self-important attitude of Sullivan that is the issue.  The Bills were bad to terrible back in the day and guys like Felser and Kelly would roast them.  But they did not resort to the sarcastic nonsense and smugness and insulting tone of your boy.

You clearly like the guy.  Clearly some don't.  And people like me who don't are not going to change their mind because you say he should.

I actually don’t even mind smug. It’s one of my favorite traits in a villain. A good villain should also be well nuanced and have a redeemable quality. . 

Two things Sully didn’t have/or didn’t care to bother with in his last years. 

Much like an onion, there should be many layers. Sully had one. And no one likes one layer. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

33 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No one has an issue with columnists being critical in my opinion.  They do have a problem with criticism being overly snarky and resorting to childish personal insult.  That was Sullivan to me.  I have read his stuff about the Bills and Sabres, I have read and heard him be insulting to anyone who dared to disagree with him.  So I have no desire to listen any more to him or read any more from him about the Bills.  

Wrong. 

On 9/6/2018 at 9:53 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Seems like somewhat of an immature response and this is why I feel Sully is misunderstood.  To me it's like your saying "he wrote something negative about my favorite team so I don't want to read his work"

No relative but I am a fan and I am going to write a longer column for a new Bills blog about Sully.  I will post it here too.  Bills fans owe Sully and apology

I can only speak for myself but I found him annoying. He would rail against being cheap but them bash Bills for spending money freely. He would complain about a player while here and then bash Bills for letting him go. He came off as the worst version of a Monday morning qb because I could find his previous work so easily. Jerry seemed to just aim to bash the Bills. Lastly I am shocked anyone would claim he is owed an apology-he had a job whose job was to sell papers or write well and he did neither that is why he was bought out. 

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Sully was definitely snarky.... I think that’s just him.  He seems to have a very dry sense of humour

On 9/6/2018 at 6:50 PM, BuffaloRush said:

I think Sully gets a bad rap from Bills fans.  I think some fans fail to understand the job a columnist.  Also, IMO he was right to criticize the Bills during the drought years.  The moves that Ralph Wilson made running the team were embarrassing.  

Yeah the Bills were awful most of the time, but why do we need someone like Sullivan telling us what we all saw. He added very little for someone with access to the players.

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

The more this thread continues...  the more I swear @BuffaloRush gets royalties from the podcast for clickthroughs.

LOL over 7,000 view on this thread.  if I did have an affiliate link for click throughs, I might be able to buy a beer at New Era!

No, I really just think people need to hear the interview.  Like I said, I learned a lot about Sully.  I’m just saying Sully touched on the majority of the things people are complaining about.   If they actually listen, they would probably learn something.  Many people have objected for pretty childish reasons - “I don’t like Sully and I don’t care about him...so I’m not gonna listen.”  Yet they still write long comments about Sully here.  To their own I guess

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Yeah the Bills were awful most of the time, but why do we need someone like Sullivan telling us what we all saw. He added very little for someone with access to the players.

Well that’s more of a beat writer or an enterprise journalist than a columnist.  I think Sully was just being honest about his thoughts on the Bills.  The same way many of us do here as well

On 9/6/2018 at 9:43 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Of course, this is just Sully's opinion I am sure there are two sides to this story.  I would be interested to hear from @JoshBarnett as Jerry mentions him by name a few times.    I can paraphrase what he said.  It's from my memory earlier today so you will want to listen for yourself.

I want to personally thank Josh for getting rid of this ahole.  I no longer have my blood pressure go up when reading the sports page. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

LOL over 7,000 view on this thread.  if I did have an affiliate link for click throughs, I might be able to buy a beer at New Era!

No, I really just think people need to hear the interview.  Like I said, I learned a lot about Sully.  I’m just saying Sully touched on the majority of the things people are complaining about.   If they actually listen, they would probably learn something.  Many people have objected for pretty childish reasons - “I don’t like Sully and I don’t care about him...so I’m not gonna listen.”  Yet they still write long comments about Sully here.  To their own I guess

Well that’s more of a beat writer or an enterprise journalist than a columnist.  I think Sully was just being honest about his thoughts on the Bills.  The same way many of us do here as well

Childish reasons? Do you click links about the Kardashians or the cast of Jersey Shore to hear their take? 

Id bet, no. Why? Because you don’t care! Jerry had his time and now it’s over. Most of us are happy and have moved on. Obviously he, and you, haven’t. That’s really a Sully and Rush problem. Not ours. 

Give ol’ Jer a message for us. “We don’t care. Bye.” 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

What I meant by "avuncular" was an easy familiarity in presentation style that conveys that the speaker/writer is both a longtime local known to everyone and an old hand.  He may not have been all that kind (although stylistically his presentation style was one of accessibility and familiarity), but I'd argue that stylistically he was genial.

Fair enough.  I think you may be defining both "avuncular" and "genial" in a non-standard way that's a tad confusing, but I understand your point now.

11 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Much like an onion, there should be many layers. Sully had one. And no one likes one layer.

Actually, ain't never heard this objected to in clothing or cakes

42 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

He has....  He essentially let Sully go.

Not really...I mean his response to what sully said about him.  He essentially said many people weren’t on board with his hire, that they should have hired Keith McShea, and that Barnett’s brainchild The BN Blitz only was able to get 3,000 subs - 97% short of what they promised.  An epic failure if true

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Not really...I mean his response to what sully said about him.  He essentially said many people weren’t on board with his hire, that they should have hired Keith McShea, and that Barnett’s brainchild The BN Blitz only was able to get 3,000 subs - 97% short of what they promised.  An epic failure if true

Sully’s PR wing still going strong I see 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Sully’s PR wing still going strong I see 

Clearly you didn’t listen to the interview because Jerry made all of those points.  No PR just stating a fact. 

Sorry that Jerry called out your favorite team.  You shouldn’t be so sensitive 

49 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Clearly you didn’t listen to the interview because Jerry made all of those points.  No PR just stating a fact. 

Sorry that Jerry called out your favorite team.  You shouldn’t be so sensitive 

No I didnt want to listen to him crying that he quit. They took his column away Because his takes where lazy, tired and repetitive. Hosted by another person that has zero football credibility. 

And critical takes do not bother me evidently you dont read alot of my posts here about the team

On 9/6/2018 at 9:57 PM, That's No Moon said:

Put it this way, if I want to hear incessant criticism of the Bills all I need to do is listen to the voices in my own head.  If that's not enough I can come here.  My issue with him wasn't his criticism, it was what he chose to criticize and when he chose to criticize it.  He found it to be his job to piss on everyone's parade during the briefest glimmers of joy and hope during a dark time.  You are allowed to let people briefly enjoy something and not lose your journalistic integrity.  I get what a columnist does, when you write the same basic column for 20 years it gets tired to read.

What if Groundhog Day lasted for 17 years?

22 hours ago, Sanners said:

Kinda off topic, but The Instigators is a fantastic show. Andrew Peters has really blossomed. Craig Rivet is solid,

and they get great guests. They are critical and fair. The best show on GR by a mile 

Agreed.  Peters has actual radio chops.

I don't want to rejoice in someone's downfall but it's a good thing that TBN finally parted ways with JS. I couldn't read his stuff and surely wasn't going to pay for any subscription with him on the payroll. I'm a lifelong Bills fan who lives out of state. I like objective reporting on interesting stuff that applies to my team. Sullivan seemed to be in his own disconnected world, often writing mean spirited stuff and grinding his own axe like a jilted bitter ex. His writing was tabloid stuff, always trying to create an emotional response. He started trolling people on Twitter, tried to pick fights with Lebron James, Gronk, etc and looked silly in the process. I took offense with his personal attacks on the Pegulas, Marv Levy, Wilson, and others. Parting ways with JS was way overdue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Some people don't stoop. Looks like he took the high road. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Factually incorrect!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Perhaps..  mistake OR not Josh decided Sully's contribution needed to be altered and took away his "dream job".  Thus, Josh decided Jerry was "expendable" based on the mass reaction to Sully's tired act.

Also,  why would TBN promote from within if the ideas were stale and dying?  IF my job was on the line I would want an ally in power vs "some kid out of college".  Sully in the interview comes off as a get off my lawn grump as we as a lover scorned.

Edited by aceman_16