Josh Allen to start Sunday

FluffHead

3 hours ago, Heitz said:

Officially official.

The replies to the Bills official Twitter are fantastic, fwiw!!

How do they make those Josh Allen gifs? He couldn't have possibly done this!!

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

There weren’t any apparent opening-night jitters for Ryan Leaf.

The touted rookie quarterback from Washington State came out poised and led two scoring drives – capping one with an impressive 3-yard TD pass to Bryan Still – and the San Diego Chargers beat San Francisco 27-21 in their exhibition opener last night.

Leaf made a few mistakes, like throwing into double coverage at the goal line – Still actually drew a pass-interference call on that one – and not getting off a play in time during the two-minute drill.

Otherwise, Leaf had a better night than Steve Young.

The 22-year-old Leaf, taken with the second pick in the April draft and named the starter for the season on Wednesday, was 14 for 20 for 116 yards.

Here’s another account of his first night:

Ryan Leaf didn’t look at all like a rattled rookie in his NFL debut. Sure, the touted San Diego Chargers quarterback made some mistakes and still has a ways to go in adjusting to the faster pace of the pro game. But was he nervous? Nope. It’s not in his playbook.

“He throws so accurately,” coach Kevin Gilbride said. “Even though he was late a few times, he put it in position where the only one who could catch it was us. That was the most encouraging thing…. I don’t want to in any way, shape or form make it seem like he’s where he needs to be. Still, he’s able to make plays and that’s what it comes down to. I thought he did that very, very well.” As he has numerous times this summer, Gilbride called Leaf “special.” Running back Terrell Fletcher called Leaf “a fearless player. That’s a big attribute.”
Leaf said the radio receiver in his helmet, which coaches use to call in plays, didn’t work the first two series. He partially winged it, with help from his teammates and quarterback coach June Jones, who told him to have three or four plays down pat to use. “I think he surprised a lot of people with how composed he was,” guard Raleigh McKenzie said. “We went three-and-out the first series, then he got real poised. He knew what to do in there.”

Leaf’s first pre-season start was much better than the man selected one spot before him in the 1998 draft:

Watching Peyton Manning and Jon Kitna, it was hard to tell who was the No. 1 pick in this year’s NFL draft. All Archie Manning’stutoring and that extra year at Tennessee couldn’t get Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts past the Seattle Seahawks and Kitna in his pro debut.

After his first pass, a 48-yard touchdown strike to Marvin Harrison on his first series, Manning looked like an ordinary NFL rookie. There was a fumble that teammate Tony Mandarich recovered and an interception to end a series. In Manning’s other four series, it was three-and-out.

“He’ll learn from his mistakes and he’ll play better,” Colts coach Jim Mora said.

Manning admitted: “I need to play a little better. We didn’t move the ball very well.”

Against Seattle, Manning was 8-for-15 for 113 yards with a touchdown and an interception. He looked confused at times. The NFL isn’t the Southeastern Conference. His father, Archie, a former NFL quarterback, told him that and now he’s finding that out for himself.

He was intercepted by cornerback Fred Thomas in the second quarter before being replaced by Kelly Holcomb. On the first play of the second quarter, Manning fumbled without being hit, but the ball was recovered by Mandarich.

“That was a rare, freak play,” Manning said of the fumble. “The ball just slipped out of my hand.”

But that was just one game. Manning and Leaf met head-to-head in the regular season dress rehearsal known as week three of the preseason:

Round 1 went to Ryan Leaf and the San Diego Chargers. The rematch with the Indianapolis Colts and Peyton Manning will be in October, when it counts.

The meeting last night between Leaf, the second pick in the National Football League draft, and Manning, the No. 1 pick, was only the second time in N.F.L. history quarterbacks picked 1-2 in the draft had faced each other as rookies.

Leaf was 15 for 24 for 172 yards, set up one touchdown and ran for a score as the Chargers broke a 3-3 tie at half and beat the Colts 33-3. It was only an exhibition game, but after a shaky first half, Leaf looked sharp in leading the Chargers.

Manning, playing into the third quarter for the first time in the preseason, was 11 for 21 for 123 yards but twice had passes intercepted.

No one doubted Leaf’s talent. The kid was a head-case, tho. That’s why he busted.

15 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Pick any big time QB then from the first round that was supposed to be somebody. Cade McNown...Jim Druckenmiller.....Joey Harrington....pick one or all....I'll go find preseason game summarys for all of them if you want....you are missing my point.  Allen is playing vanilla defenses, who aren't discguising coverages etc..they aren't gameplanning for him...like every game 1 and 2 of preseason ever.  Allen has looked pretty good so far....and he should.  I still don't think he'll make it (I am just a nobody on a message board with an opinion)  ....I'd temper my expectations until I'd seen him against some NFL defesnes who are gameplanning, playing all their starters etc.  That's it...I am not saying Allen is Leaf or Russel or Jeff George or Jim Kelly, Aaron Rodgers etc....

You are probalby right.....I shouldn't be raining on the parade at this time.....seriously...I'd be super STOKED if I were a Bills fan having had no real QB since Kelly and this guy looks good so far.....again....I am not rooting for Allen to fail....I want him to succeed....I'd like the Bills to be a good NFL contender again.  

I'm a Bills fan. That has made me a skeptic naturally. When the Bills went to the playoffs I was ready to embrace a loss because my team couldn't score points. 

I think what I have seen in preseason with my team has given me some hope. I know I shouldn't get over hyped about it. It was nice actually seeing Peterman and Allen get TD drives. If I can only get it in preseason it will be sad but I enjoyed the moments. 

To me Peterman looked decent. Not a guy without flaws but some one who at the very least led an efficient drive. Josh Allen is looking to be improving rapidly. It's enough to dedicate a preseason start to him. 

I won't try to convince you Josh Allen will be good. I can only tell you he is leaving a good impression when he plays. Enough to deserve some buzz. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How do they make those Josh Allen gifs? He couldn't have possibly done all that!!

I think they're from the NFL, so guessing they did.  They probably just explained the guys the .gif plan and they were down.  The kids these days...

2 hours ago, brianthomas said:

It's because of that shaky o line where i think Allen gives us the better chance for success. Peterman would get killed out there & the pressure would force him to make bad throws & throw 5 INT's again. Allen looked poised when the line broke down & has the ability to scramble & throw with accuracy on the run. Your reason for picking Nate with the o line is the very reason why picking Nate would be a mistake.

That's what I'm thinking.  The Allen Wrench is starting to maybe help our O-line look better and give our offense a better chance.

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

Ryan Leaf had some incredible pre seasons....articles were written about how the Colts had screwed up the pick...all based on a few preseason games.  Be Wary.

Ryan Leaf says hello. Now back to our Josh Allen thread.

ryan_leaf_sentenced_06192012.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Lol does someone know where all these goofy gifs of Allen come from?

I want to know the same thing - are they real?  

24 minutes ago, Magox said:

If Allen starts the season as the starter then you stick with him to the end no matter how it goes.  There is no turning back.

...and THAT is why you want to be darn sure before you go down that road. 

16 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

The line needs to wake up.

Groy in center.  Teller replaces Vlad quick.  The and rb chips.

Not saying Vlad is good but what has Teller shown to demo he is ready?  I see him as a starter next year, not this year.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

ALLEN GETS THE NOD TO START BILLS' THIRD PRESEASON GAME (1:30)
Chris Mortensen explains that AJ McCarron's injury is not as serious as originally thought, and Josh Allen will be the Bills' starter in Week 3 of the preseason.

:D  .....I count myself as one of those critics....and I will gladly back down if Allen continues to shine when he's playing in a real football game.....you all have every right and every reason to be encouraged....He has looked like a good QB prospect should look so far.  I'm just not buying that a guy with his on field history has suddenly been cured of all his ailments after some workouts iwth Jordan Palmer, a training camp, and 2 preseason games....The same coach who had Carson Wentz, should have been able to identify these and fix them...and didn't or couldn't...but now he's suddenly fixed?.....IF that IS the case...then myself and a TON of others will have been completely wrong..PLUS, it would be a major major defeat of the analytics crowd who all say Allen should be a monumental bust.

• Like (+1) 1