Home remidies for Strep Throat?

Hey guys, so I have had strep since Tuesday and nothing seems to be working to help with the pain.

I am calling the docs today to get a different antibiotic.

I have tried, cold drinks, gargling warm salt water, ice cream, popsicles, gargling a numbing rinse.

Nothing seems to help provide enough relief.

Any ideas?

30 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Hey guys, so I have had strep since Tuesday and nothing seems to be working to help with the pain.

I have tried, cold drinks, gargling warm salt water, ice cream, popsicles, gargling a numbing rinse.

Any ideas?

Who diagnosed it as strep?  Maybe you're treating the wrong thing?

11 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Thought you Canadians had the best FREE health care on the planet?  Why are you even sick at all? :P

Doc is giving me a different antibiotic today. I guess the last one they gave me I have a tolerance for

15 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Strep is bacterial infection.

CBF---drink shots of whiskey till you pass out.

That wont burn at all going down lol

1 minute ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Doc is giving me a different antibiotic today. I guess the last one they gave me I have a tolerance for

That wont burn at all going down lol

That's the point. Scorch the bacteria out of your throat

Just now, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Im so desperate I would consider that.

I gargled with warm salt water yesterday...…..horrible amount of pain that caused

Plus drinking so much whiskey will help you sleep, which is what you REALLY need when you have strep.

You have rabbits, right? Collect enough rabbit urine to soak an ace bandage. After a good soak sprinkle it liberally with powered mustard seed and chili powder in a 50/50 mix. Once a good paste develops on the bandage have someone secure it around your neck as tightly as possible.  Wear it for 3.5 hours and a sore throat will be the least of your problems, guaranteed.

I thought strep lies in everyone's body... It just becomes unlocked and ends up in various parts of the body that could cause problems, major problems.  I read that one of the causes of heart valve failure later in life is from untreated strep years before.

Treat it with a doctor... We're not doctors.  But of course you are doing that.  Don't make the symptoms go away with some home bs.  Yet, we are in an era where antibiotics are getting ineffective.

Sad... It's like the 1930s all over again.  The more we change, the more we go back in so many ways.

Good luck! Get to the doctor ASAP and don't bully them in stronger than you need... They should know best.  Well, I hope!!!!

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Any ideas?

Do you have your tonsils?  Those are a "magnet."

1 hour ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Is it viral or bacterial strep?

"Viral strep?"  :lol:. You idiot.  Streptococcus IS A BACTERIA.

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Any ideas?

Try honey.  Hot tea with honey...or just a teaspoonful every hour or so.  Honey has anti-bacterial properties.

Mostly, though...see your doctor again.  Strep untreated can cause heart problems.  It's no joke.  Honey won't hurt, and it may or may not help, but you need antibiotics.

For the pain...Tylenol's your best bet.

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Strep is bacterial infection.

CBF---drink shots of whiskey till you pass out.

Hence the reason I said bacterial strep. I never said is it viral strep or bacteria strep. I asked if it was viral or if it was bacterial strep. 

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

"Viral strep?"  :lol:. You idiot.  Streptococcus IS A BACTERIA.

No **** Sherlock, I'm in the medical field. I guess I have to lose the "hospital speak" when I'm on these boards and dumb down my question for you guys. 

Is his infection viral?... or is it bacterial strep?. Believe it or not there are doctors who wrongly give antibiotics for viral throat infections, because the patient complains enough. He's been on antibiotics for quite a while now with no relief. Hence the viral portion of my question, because that could explain the no relief with antibiotics, and he just has to let it run it's course. If it's confirmed bacterial then he needs a new antibiotic that works in a different manner or a stronger one because the one he's on doesn't sound like it working.

But I'm sure you knew that Mr. Scientist.

1 hour ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Hence the reason I said bacterial strep. I never said is it viral strep or bacteria strep. I asked if it was viral or if it was bacterial strep. 

No **** Sherlock, I'm in the medical field. I guess I have to lose the "hospital speak" when I'm on these boards and dumb down my question for you guys. 

Is his infection viral?... or is it bacterial strep?. Believe it or not there are doctors who wrongly give antibiotics for viral throat infections, because the patient complains enough. He's been on antibiotics for quite a while now with no relief. Hence the viral portion of my question, because that could explain the no relief with antibiotics, and he just has to let it run it's course. If it's confirmed bacterial then he needs a new antibiotic that works in a different manner or a stronger one because the one he's on doesn't sound like it working.

Hey! Common now. We haven’t heard from CBF for days (he did say he was diagnosed w strep) and your worried about your reputation?

please check in CBF and let us know that you are ok.

• Like (+1) 1

I always thought this had to be treated with antibiotics.....

Note:  I went through a rough patch with my medical at a certain point and were looking for alternate options to get antibiotics when I needed them.....believe it or not you can get them without prescription at the PET STORE......look in the Fish section.

As long as you aren't working, buy yourself a nice bottle of scotch (Highland Park 12 Year in the $55 range or better would be perfect) and have a couple of drams.  

You will feel great in general, and you will not notice the throat pain, or any other pain for that matter.

Seriously, if it's bothering you that much, get a little tipsy. Kills pain.

In the US Civil War, shots of whisky were used as pain killer prior to amputations if you can believe it.

One shot for enlisted men, 2 shots for officers.

4 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

In the statement "Is it viral or bacterial strep?" the "or" conjunction operates on the words "viral" and "bacterial," - the resulting "viral or bacterial" being an adjectival phrase applied to the noun "strep."  What you should have done, given the meaning you claim you were trying to convey, Mr. "But I'm a Doctor, So I Can't Be As Stupid As I Sound!", is asked "Is it a virus or strep?", thereby linking two nouns with the conjunction "or" instead of a noun and adjective, and avoiding the useless redundancy of the phrase "bacterial strep."

But I'm sure you knew that, Mr. TOEFL.

7 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Not a cure or a long term solution, but it numbs it up for a spell and dulls the pain temporarily 

cherry-spray_2016-medium.png

Omg I love you. This is the only thing that has brought me relief!! I just spent $80 on Licoden gargling mix and it did nothing.

Thank you for this 

I love you

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I always thought this had to be treated with antibiotics.....

Note:  I went through a rough patch with my medical at a certain point and were looking for alternate options to get antibiotics when I needed them.....believe it or not you can get them without prescription at the PET STORE......look in the Fish section.

bacterial antibiotics, Biaxin has been a good friend many times

Having strep as an adult is the !@#$ing worst. I had it 5 or so years ago, and it was far worse than I remember as a child. I think I remember taking ibuprofen for the inflammation, and it tempered it back.   Some pharmacies may sell a liquid lidocaine spray that can help. It really just took antibiotics and 5 days for me to get better. 

• Like (+1) 1