Roseanne Show cancelled by ABC after racist tweet

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I feel like the people who sit down to watch Roseanne don’t care about her tweet. Those who don’t watch don’t care either. Why cancel it. 

Because they may lose viewers of other shows? 

Idk.

I don't watch anything on ABC. The only broadcast television shows I was watching were Last Man On Earth and Brooklyn 99 and FOX cancelled both of them this season. Those bastards.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I feel like the people who sit down to watch Roseanne don’t care about her tweet. Those who don’t watch don’t care either. Why cancel it. 

Because she said something gross about Barack Obama and one of his top people from his administration.

In Hollywood, especially at Disney, Barack Obama is God. If you make fun of him or question his motives, kiss your career goodbye.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

ABC has millions and millions of reasons to cancel it. $$$$$$$

Good riddance to that racist scumbag pos, this country is ignorant enough without her garbage.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Because she said something gross about Barack Obama and one of his top people from his administration.

In Hollywood, especially at Disney, Barack Obama is God. If you make fun of him or question his motives, kiss your career goodbye.

I'm far from a fan of Barack Obama from a political standpoint. That being said, this wasn't making "fun" of him, or questioning his motives. This was straight up racist.

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

ABC has millions and millions of reasons to cancel it. $$$$$$$

Good riddance to that racist scumbag pos, this country is ignorant enough without her garbage.

Yet ABC was making $$$$$$$ from this show. It had high ratings. They had already renewed it for another season.

If ABC had millions and millions of reasons to cancel it, why didn't they do so beforehand?

26 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't watch anything on ABC. The only broadcast television shows I was watching were Last Man On Earth and Brooklyn 99 and FOX cancelled both of them this season. Those bastards.

At least NBC was smart and picked up Brooklyn 99

25 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yet ABC was making $$$$$$$ from this show. It had high ratings. They had already renewed it for another season.

If ABC had millions and millions of reasons to cancel it, why didn't they do so beforehand?

It's not just that they might lose viewers it could cost them advertisers.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Was anyone else positive that this is how the latest iteration of Roseanne would end? I got “a series of racist tweets” for +240 in Vegas. It was the heavy favorite but also the safest bet :).

****, I went with the more general -- "drunk tweeting" ...bet was -200 but I still won a little...

The original show back in the day was great. Hilarious, and pushed a lot of progressive/liberal boundaries.

I was looking forward to the reboot, even with her red-hat character, because I figured she would once again do a decent job of bridging that divide. Maybe show that the extremists on the right could come back to earth on some things, while also showing their point of view. Especially with folks like John Goodman, Sarah Gilbert, and Wanda Sykes aboard.

But, NOPE.

The whole new season sucked, and Roseanne has gone fully off the rails. Instead of subtly bridging any gaps, she merely widened the divide.

The only thing funny about this entire debacle is the irony that she said she was doing this season to prove that Trump supporters werent racist bigots, and then lost her show for being exactly a racist bigot.

Good riddance, you disappointment.

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The original show back in the day was great. Hilarious, and pushed a lot of progressive/liberal boundaries.

I was looking forward to the reboot, even with her red-hat character, because I figured she would once again do a decent job of bridging that divide. Maybe show that the extremists on the right could come back to earth on some things, while also showing their point of view. Especially with folks like John Goodman, Sarah Gilbert, and Wanda Sykes aboard.

But, NOPE.

The whole new season sucked, and Roseanne has gone fully off the rails. Instead of subtly bridging any gaps, she merely widened the divide.

The only thing funny about this entire debacle is the irony that she said she was doing this season to prove that Trump supporters werent racist bigots, and then lost her show for being exactly a racist bigot.

Good riddance, you disappointment.

Honestly, the political dialogue was so unnatural and forced. The rest of the show was decent when they weren't trying to be a right-wing All in the Family.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

No one can use that particular insult on ANYONE in this day and age.  I understand what you're saying but it's not 1960 anymore and everyone needs to realize it.  I'm glad ABC acted EXACTLY the way they did and wasted no time doing it.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

It's not just that they might lose viewers it could cost them advertisers.

I understand that reason.

Turk71 had pointed out that ABC had millions of reasons to cancel this show BEFORE Roseanne's tweet. I want to know why he thinks that? The show had high ratings and was renewed for another season. Why would ABC have millions of reasons to cancel it?

29 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I understand that reason.

Turk71 had pointed out that ABC had millions of reasons to cancel this show BEFORE Roseanne's tweet. I want to know why he thinks that? The show had high ratings and was renewed for another season. Why would ABC have millions of reasons to cancel it?

Money talks.  

Racists walk. 

People may have boycotted more ABC programs and that bottom line is what they considered.  

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Money talks.  

Racists walk. 

People may have boycotted more ABC programs and that bottom line is what they considered.  

He's asking what the million reasons to cancel the show before the tweets the ones after are rather obvious.

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He's asking what the million reasons to cancel the show before the tweets the ones after are rather obvious.

The preverbal straw that broke the camels ? back

3 co-actors said they would no longer do the show. 

There may be more that spoke privately.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Reread what I wrote, I never said before the tweets, MarkVader came up with that interpretation on his own. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The preverbal straw that broke the camels ? back

3 co-actors said they would no longer do the show. 

There may be more that spoke privately.  

They said they weren't going to do another season before the tweets?

Although I looked back at the post he was asking this for and the guy said has not had so I guess it doesn't actually make any sense.

EDIT: right on time.

Edited by Warcodered
post above mine

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Um...what?  O.o

...if...I read this right...the whole point is...racists get away with being racists on ABC shows...so...Roseanne...should have been allowed to get away with racist tweets in real life?  Please, please someone tell me I misinterpreted this.  Please tell me they didn't actually try and make that argument.  Please, for my own sanity.

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

Um...what?  O.o

...if...I read this right...the whole point is...racists get away with being racists on ABC shows...so...Roseanne...should have been allowed to get away with racist tweets in real life?  Please, please someone tell me I misinterpreted this.  Please tell me they didn't actually try and make that argument.  Please, for my own sanity.

Did you read who made that article?

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Did you read who made that article?

I...oh wow.  Missed that entirely.  I might be better off going to sleep rather then internetting. XD

I saw the URL started with "entertainment" and somehow made the logic jump to it being an Entertainment Tonight article.  Whelp, I feel silly.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Let's see how long Olberman lasts at ESPN.  Same company, same rules??

Huh? 

Sorry I've been out of the US for a while now... is Olberman now a racist???

:huh:

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

So, you don't think what she said was racist?

• Haha (+1) 1